Start by marking “Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal: A Guide to Living Life with Energy, Health, and Vitality” as Want to Read:

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  1,535 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Considered the mother of modern herbalism in North America, Rosemary Gladstar has inspired an entire generation of herbalists and has been a driving force in herbal education. Now everyone can share in her wisdom and enthusiasm with this practical yet evocative compendium. It offers easy-to-understand information for achieving optimal health, as well as tried-and-true advi ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal

Jaime Lynn
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family, green
This book is an amazing asset to any household - from beginners to experienced herbalists. As a mother, I take very seriously my responsibilty to tend to the health and wellness of my family. I got this book when I was just beginning to learn about herbs and natural health. At first, all of the recipes look a little daunting. But if you just slow down and pick a few to try based on your individual needs, you will see how easy they are to use/make and will gain confidence to try others. With the ...more
Missy
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the herbal that I recommend to folks just starting to explore medicine-making and home remedies. Frankly, it took me a couple of years to truly appreciate just how easy-to-use yet informative Rosemary Gladstar's book is. The instructions on how to make tinctures, salves, and teas are simple; the formulas are fun and elegant; and the materia medica is to-the-point.

My only bone to pick is that Gladstar has a "women's" section -- dominated by aids to alleviate menstrual pain, address cancer
Kate Moffett-Polacci
Just READING this book made me feel good, and gave me wonderful dreams. I'm so inspired to create a million teas and lotions and potions. In fact, I stocked up on supplies at Rosemary's Garden over the weekend to create full-on facials with my friends next week. I feel so lucky to live near the herb store she started here in Sonoma County. Looking forward to exploring all of her recipes.
Olivia
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. It is so incredibly comprehensive on herbs, herbal recipes, herb therapies, and different natural treatments for men, women, children, and the elderly and it also includes sections specifically about stress, everyday ailments and natural beauty regimens.

After reading it cover to cover I was left feeling so inspired in the way Rosemary Gladstar uses and values nature in her daily life.
I have made the shampoo and face lotion/cream recipes. The facial cream I have been using f
Graybird
This book is packed with information about using herbs and lifestyle changes and nutrition to maintain good health and mental balance. Rosemary Gladstar definitely approaches the issue of health from a holistic standpoint that compounds all facets of one's way of living and interacting in order to properly address influencing factors and circumstances.

Many of her recipes are based on using tonics of several herbs as preventive measures, which can be seen as intimidating when she recommends drin
Erica
Oct 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-for-classes
This book was required reading for my degree. Although I am not passionate about herbology, this book was definitely informative, fun to read, and had recipes that seemed easy enough to make at home. Granted, I have not tried any as of yet, I did learn quite a few new things about herbs that I did not know before, as well as natural solutions for hair, skin, and body. When I have some free time, I would be willing to try some of these out!
Amanda
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Packed with good recipes.
Mrsdove
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want a good herbal book that will help you understand herbs and their medicinal value then this is the book! As a casual studier of herbs for years now this book really helped raise my awareness on how to use herbs for more things that I had hoped for. She does a great job with recipes and advice. She even has pictures of herbs in their natural state so you can see what the flower or plant looks like thus raising awareness in us so that we may recognize those herbs which grow readily in o ...more
Christine
Amazing book. As a beginner with making my own, homemade remedies, this was a perfect collection of recipes and instruction, complete with color pictures and fabulous reference material. I have a slew of tabs marking favorite recipes using local flora, and I expect this book will get a lot of use in the years to come. I cannot recommend this book highly enough for the beginner, or even the more experienced person looking for a solid addition to their reference material.
Parin Stormlaughter Stormlaughter
I was thrilled to discover that this is the Storey Books printing of Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal which is not easily available any longer.

The potions, lotions, salves, and teas are very effective but much of the medical information that goes with them is simply outdated. Be well-read about what you wish to correct and you'll be well-served by the recipes and procedures in this book.

Thrilled to have it in my hot little hands!
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • The Earthwise Herbal: A Complete Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants
  • The Herbalist's Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines
  • Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • Homegrown Herbs: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies for Growing and Using 101 Herbs
  • Organic Body Care Recipes
  • Making Plant Medicine
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • The Way of Herbs
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health
  • Adaptogens: Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • The Complete Medicinal Herbal: A Practical Guide to the Healing Properties of Herbs, with More Than 250 Remedies for Common Ailments
  • Garden Witch's Herbal: Green Magick, Herbalism & Spirituality
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Nontoxic Cleansers
  • The Master Book of Herbalism
Rosemary Gladstar is a pioneer in the herbal movement and has been called the 'godmother of American Herbalism'. She began over 35 years ago developing herbal formulas in her herb shop, Rosemary's Garden in Sonoma County, California. She is the founder of the California School of Herbal Studies, the oldest running herb school in the United States, author of The Science and Art of Herbalism home st ...more
More about Rosemary Gladstar...