Start by marking “Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  4,507 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews
You can't make this stuff up! Dave Barry would never lie--and here are the real life, laugh-out-loud stories from across America to prove it: a U.S. Supreme Court justice shares his remedy for preventing gas ("I had not realized that this was a matter of concern in the highest levels of government"); a newspaper headline in Ohio announces the combustibility of strawberry P ...more
Published February 27th 2001 by Ballantine Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up

Jim
This was a couple of dozen of his columns which I've always loved. The perfect length as my sense of humor tends to trip out after a while. I was cutting up a tree that ice storm took partially down in the horses' field while listening to this, so I had to take a few breaks when things got dicey.

(Lots of energy & twisting left in that big, old hackberry. I wish the wood was prettier as it was 16" in diameter & should make some nice bowls, but I'll have to stain them or something. I don'
James Hold
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dave Berry USED TO BE very funny. His first three book collections were hilarious. Then something happened. The more popular he got the less funny he became. His book on Washington politics is unreadable. This is one of the STILL FUNNY ones.
Donna
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I grew up reading Dave Barry's column right after reading the Garfield comic. I love Dave Barry. Some of his columns were so funny, others....well not so much. This collection of his essays/columns falls into the 'not so much', category. It kills me to say that, but this was not the laugh-out-loud stuff I love from him. So 3 stars because I think he is incredibly clever with his material.
Beckiezra
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Not very long, maybe 2 hours, I listened to it a few times during the three weeks I had it from the library, usually while falling asleep. I wonder if I had an abridged version. The choice of reader, someone who sounded like an old Jewish man, may have seemed appropriate for Florida but struck me as a little weird, especially with the author actually reading some things. You can't really go wrong with Dave Barry, but the choice of stories other than personal ones didn't really stick with me. The ...more
Jenny Jo Weir
Hilarious!!! Laugh out loud, belly laughing fun. If your looking for a lighthearted short book to entertain you and put you in a good mood then look no further.
Bethany White
Sep 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Would I Lie To You?
Dave Barry tells it like it is…kind of.

Dave Barry
Ballantine Books, 1994

Dave Barry draws from his experience as a Pulitzer Prize-winning humorist and extracts the humor from everyday life. He counts on his readers to assist him in gathering any news or events of great importance: UFO sightings, Elvis giving tours of Graceland, and high-top sneakers with air pumps. One can’t forget the invention of Beano, either. Although presumably silly, each o
Jill
May 08, 2010 rated it liked it
I came away from this book more convinced than ever that with DB, it's simply a matter of "the shorter the funnier". The REALLY LONG chapters (Elvis fans, and Trip to China, for example) = major snooze fest. The Lawn Rangers bit, also pretty nap-worthy. However I think I just should've put it down and come back to it a few more times rather than just go hell for leather and knock the whole thing off in one go. Because his formula can get boring if you don't take it in short, clean breaks.

In my
Voracious_reader
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Incredibly funny—Dave Barry is Not Making This Up—Dave Barry is the sort of person you’d love to sit close enough to eavesdrop on at a dinner party, but not close enough that you’d end up being in one of his stories. I particularly enjoyed invasion of the money snatchers: a story of a bunch of old guys trying to do the right thing by declaring income from a lottery win and ending up being sued by the government for money well in excess of what was won. The chapters are different 2-4 page article ...more
Jason Axley
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
I remembered Dave Barry as being more funny (lol funny) recalling when I read him as a kid. But I also recall thinking that comics were amusing as well. He is a good writer but sad to say I cannot avoid comparing him to David Sedaris. I was looking for that funny-but-more-than-a-clever-chuckle kind. My wife and I would crack up at David Sedaris. But alas, Barry's stories were fairly interesting but more clever and amusing than really funny that I was looking for.
Kristin
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, audiobook
This was a rather average read. There were some absolutely laugh-out-loud parts, but by and large, he was only mildly amusing, and, during his longer essays, completely boring. I skipped tracks for his longer articles because he completely loses his humour in them. But, then there were parts where my guffaws filled every space in my car. Overall, a mediocre read.
  • All I Know About Animal Behavior I Learned In Loehmann's Dressing Room
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • Fatherhood
  • Shave the Whales
  • Wildlife Preserves
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
  • Just When I Thought I'd Dropped My Last Egg: Life and Other Calamities
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...