Start by marking “Ophelia in Pieces” as Want to Read:
Ophelia in Pieces

Ophelia in Pieces

Good: A copy that has been read, but remains in clean condition. All pages are intact, and the cover is intact (including dust cover, if applicable). The spine may show signs of wear. Pages can include limited notes and highlighting, and the copy can include "From the library of" labels.Some of our books may have slightly worn corners, and minor creases to the covers. Plea ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Short Books

To ask other readers questions about Ophelia in Pieces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ophelia in Pieces

Start your review of Ophelia in Pieces
Maddie Hussain
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it
A quick review of this book is that it’s a very realistic fiction book. I read this book partly as a way for me to understand what the life of a female barrister is like. That being said I originally thought this book was a biography about the life of the author after reading an article of hers about the gender based difficulties of female barristers. I was surprised that when I bought the second hand book, it was a signed copy. Never the less the book itself is a good book but not a great one.. ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-are
The break up of her long ailing marriage still comes as a shock to Ophelia Dormandy, a junior barrister, whose busy career unintentionally led to the neglect of her husband and son. Ophelia struggles to pick up the pieces of her shattered domesticity while balancing the demands of her job.
It happens sometimes that you find it difficult to like the protagonist of a novel and unfortunately I struggled to connect to Ophelia. Mostly I thought her self absorbed and passive. The responsibility for the
Olivia Johnston
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This was quite a nice story. Easy to read and not too heavy, it kept my interest for the run.

Ophelia is a believable character: a barrister who buries herself in her work, neglecting her family. She had become so absorbed in a case, she blames herself when her marriage falls apart. She feels that she was so busy that she didn't notice husband's interest had waned, until he told her he is leaving her for a colleague.

Ophelia's work is very important to her, and the priority she gives it is consis
Joy
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
It was OK. Chick lit for the professional woman I suppose!
Renae
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very easy to read. While it might not pull you in and make you want to forget the rest of the world, it does make you think about your own life. How hard do you work? Do you spend enough time with your family?
Ophelia is a crimal lawer who after a big case realises that things are not right between her and her husband. He admits to an affair and she kicks him out, like all women she starts thinking about the past and if she should have seen it and prevented it. The story follows her
Debbie
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
When high flying Ophelia discovers her husband has been cheating on her she immediately throws him out. This book describes the impact of her personal problems on her professional life and the effects of the marriage break up on her nine year old son.

Clare Jacobs first novel provides an interesting insight into the world of the wig and pen, switching from seedy criminals (the richest and the poorest) to the struggles of combining a career with single parenthood.
Susanna
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Debut novelist Clare Jacob has produced a first-rate read with Ophelia In Pieces. The story is interesting and entertaining, the characters well drawn to be both likeable and believable, the descriptions of London make it sound like the author grew up there (which according to the back matter she did, partially) and her descriptions of emotion are satisfyingly on the mark. A thoroughly enjoyable book. Recommended!
Samira Salimi
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Life brings different shocks & Ophelia is not an exception. She is a top barrister encountering changes in her career & personal life. This scenario can happen to any woman, however patience, faith, & intelligence are needed to overcome such difficult moments. I reckon it is a good book for full time mums & women to read. Happy reading! ...more
Rachel
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I encourage everyone to read the debut novel by my friend and fellow graduate of the Certificate in Novel Writing at City University London. She's an elegant writer and the novel gives a great insight into the life of a London barrister.
Emi
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was okay, seems like a nice book but because it was quite slow at times I couldn't get stuck in and eventually didn't finish it. I might give it a second try...

Geetha
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
slow but interesting story..
Aileen
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an ok read, not sure I would recommend.
Teresa
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
A quick and quirky read about a barrister whose family life goes awry and some of her cases overlap into her personal life. A satisfying fairly short read.
Gabby Canale
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Fragmented, failed to hold my attention, awkward.
Theresa
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it
i liked this book i liked the story line. It went slow in places but did like the book
Claire
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Disappointed, story flat and couldn't identify with main character.
Saffron
Apr 11, 2018
Anna King
Feb 18, 2019
Louisebryant
rated it did not like it
Feb 05, 2020
Oct 21, 2016
Maxine
Mar 29, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Clare Jacob was brought up in New York and London. She read English at Oxford and became a barrister because she loved John Donne. After years of defending clients accused variously of terrorism, hiding cocaine in coconuts, and stealing underpants she decided to capture the lunacy and mystery of it all in a novel. She is married with three children.

News & Interviews