Start by marking “The Becoming (The Becoming, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Becoming (The Becoming, #1)

The Becoming

(The Becoming #1)

The Michaluk Virus is loose. In the heart of Atlanta, Georgia, the Michaluk Virus has escaped the CDC, and its effects are widespread and devastating. Most of the population of the southeastern United States have become homicidal cannibals. As society rapidly crumbles under the hordes of infected, three people-Ethan Bennett, a Memphis police officer; Cade Alton, his best f ...more
Published November 12th 2011 by Permuted Press

To ask other readers questions about The Becoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Becoming

Giselle
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
Starting a new zombie series is always bittersweet. Because a good zombie story is not about the zombies, it's about the characters. Characters that you will shortly begin to know and love, characters that you truly care about, but… you know death will eventually come knocking to at least one of their doors. However, this is exactly why I love zombie books. It's not for the gore, and I'm not very impressed by those who try to romanticize them nowadays; zombie books are about surviving! They take ...more
Rhiannon Frater
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a 4.5 star review.

What can I say? Jessica Meigs is an awesome writer! She really hits it out of the park with this debut novel. The writing is crisp, exciting, dynamic, and freakin' scary! Her characters are well-defined, make sense, and interact with each other very realistically. Her zombie mythos has a slight new twist to it, which I found to be fun, and there were some seriously intense scenes that had me gripping my tablet with both hands.

I read this book in ONE sitting, curled up o
Andre
Apr 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
There is a really good story somewhere in The Becoming. The action scenes are full of intensity, and the zombies are unlike any I’ve ever read about. This book, this series, has potential. Unfortunately, I think the writing kept that potential from being reached.

I didn’t have too many issues with the book, but the ones I did have appeared so frequently they were overwhelming. They hijacked my reading experience. I think the author needed a better editor. Admittedly, I read The Becoming as the tw
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
I don't know if it's because I just can't concentrate when listening to audio books...or I'm just choosing the wrong titles but this just didn't do it for me.

So again - I have to say...."it's not you - it's me"
Harule Stokes
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like the book. The image of a strong female lead is compelling... but that just didn't pan out.

Cade, a former sniper, can't seem to think of a plan without a guy doing it for her.

Ethan starts out as a nice guy and transforms into an idiot.

Brandt is a cardboard cut out of a marine.

Theo is the most interesting character because he's the most 3 dimensional of the characters.

The other characters are utterly forgettable.

To be honest, I had a tough time getting past the annoying behavior o
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
Wickedly Bookish Reviews

The Becoming, the first book in a new trilogy and Meigs' first novel follows three main characters as they experience the initial outbreak of the zombie virus Michaluk and fight to survive. Cade, Ethan, and Brandt pick up other survivors along the way, but when Ethan insists on returning to Memphis to find closure with the loss of his wife, Cade and Brandt forge on to find a safe place for their group.

Finally! A strong female lead chara
Carlie
May 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: zombielovin
This book is unbelievable. A marine, an Israeli soldier, and a Memphis cop. They shoot people four times and the people keep coming and they ask “wtf?” The dialog is terrible, not what trained people would say or how they would act. 30% in and they are still “wtf, people sure are acting crazy”. No mention of zombies as of yet. They think people are just rioting and if they can get to the cops or the hospital they can get help even though they watch guys chase down and eat another guy. Unbelievab ...more
Michelle
I'm going to be upfront and totally honest. This read was a bit disappointing. I have heard nothing but good reviews on this and apparently my expectations went above and beyond what the author was capable of delivering. It's not the crappiest read I have ever had the displeasure of reading, but it's pretty close up there.

Here is what I didn't like:

All Three Main Characters. You have Ethan who is a Memphis cop. Next you have his his bff for the past 7 years. She is a woman who lived next door t
Patrick D'Orazio
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Becoming tells the tale of three people in the early days of the zombie apocalypse. Brandt is a military man who flees Atlanta not long after the start of the Michaluk virus. He was at the epicenter, having volunteered to be one of the guards at the CDC when the plague first broke free from one of the labs. As the city crumbles and the dead begin to rise, he heads west to Alabama while the virus spreads further out from the city at the same time. Ethan and Cade, two friends living in Memphis ...more
Ulises
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a tricky review to write because the author is a friend of mine and she's been super supportive of my own literary work. But I'll give it my best shot.

Overall, this is a good story. I think that it's a promising start for a writer who clearly has a lot of potential as a storyteller. But it also demonstrates some of the issues that we all go through as budding writers.

From a technical standpoint, the overuse of adverbs slows down the narrative. Adverbs are one of those things that we have
J.R.
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it

It’s a great privilege to be able to review this book again. My initial review was apparently an earlier draft and most of what I mentioned had either been edited out, changed or rewritten. Now that The Becoming is available on Amazon and Audible, I just have to say that it is truly an honor to be asked to review her revised work.

For a first time author in this genre, Ms. Meigs has compiled and created a serious novel that far surpasses others within the zombie/apocalyptic/horror genre. With the
Jason
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't include book summaries in my reviews since Goodreads already provides the consumer with a full overview.

LIKED: I always enjoy a good dystopic novel, especially when it involves zombies. I thought Meigs did a nice job of capturing how surreal it would be to see a zombie-type infection discussed on the news and its subsequent spread across the country. Meigs has a lot of cool background knowledge on the military, weapons, tactics, etc.

DISLIKED: I didn't ever feel that I knew the characters
Beth  (YA Books Central)
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
WOW...OK first I have to agree with Giselle on this...starting a new zombie series is ALWAYS hard. People think zombie stories are all about blood and gore when in reality its about the fight, survival, and triumphs that the characters overcome. Each character tugs at your heart and you pull for them to fight and survive. This book is exactly like that. I immediately liked Brandt and knew he would be one of my favorites. I liked the military background he has so I knew he would be awesome. When ...more
Melyooo
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, brains
I was glad to find out this book was the first in a trilogy because it left me hanging!

The story starts off in the first days after a virus has swept Atlanta and is spreading through the Southeast. It's fast paced and doesn't waste much time jumping in. I wish the author would have spent more time explaining the virus but hey, it's from the point of view of the people dealing with the aftermath, not the scientists.

I liked the characters overall but found it a little tough to believe they would
Susan
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
The zombie craze exploded in the last few years and unfortunately you will come across those that are not worth the read, but The Becoming is NOT one of them. From the beginning it hooks you right into the action and it's non-stop. Jessica Meigs pens her characters very believable in the very interesting story line. Just be warned that when you reach the end, you won't be able to wait for the sequel!
Justin Robinson
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was sort of the book equivalent of potato chips. It's not really good for me, but I ended up eating the whole bag and I'll probably eat another one. This book isn't really bad, but it's not good either. It's biggest sin is that it's overwritten -- seriously, count how many times a superfluous detail is mentioned. The author is obsessed with describing precisely how every single physical action takes place. She'll mention a character's eye color twice in the space of a single page.

The thing
Kimberly
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour-reads
Ahh Zombies.

Who doesn't love a good zombie story?

the blood,

the brains,

the horror!

I love it, and I really enjoyed reading this zombie novel too.

What first drew me to the novel when I got the invitation to join the blog tour for the book was the cover. It really intrigued me and I like how it really seemed to fit with the theme of the novel and now after reading the book I really think it suits it perfectly.

I really enjoyed the way that Meigs created her post-zombie apocalyptic world and the way
Teresa
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed The Becoming, while it lasted. I'm rating it so low, because I felt like it wasn't a complete novel. This is one of those times where, in a bid to force a series, the author figured she'd get around to nearly everything later, so she skimped on most of the meat.

As is typical of the zombie genre, shit happened, people died/turned, there were attractive survivors, the survivors met up and had some minor conflict but were ultimately good people, who are now ready for the next book
Gareth Wood
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A powerful story about some really broken people, The Becoming is a fun and fast paced read. The apocalypse comes about in this book via the Infected, victims of a virus who act in a zombie-like manner. The characters are well crafted, and I spent more than half the book actively disliking one of the leads, which I credit as Very Well Done to the author. The plot is substantial, and it winds it's way through the book easily, never getting lost in divergent sub plots or too much detail. The chara ...more
Diane
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies
3.5
I wanted to give this 4 stars, but some of the characters actions were annoying. Also, it took them way way too long to figure out the people getting infected were zombies. Other than that it was a solid story.
SinisterAgentMulder
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it

(audiobook) This felt like most zombie movies where the characters make the standard survival mistakes. Makes you want to scream.luckily in this book it all works out.It made this book stand out.
Natasa
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
This was a good read. I want to read the sequels as well.
Zoe's Human
Mar 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I made it 58% of the way through this book before I just had to stop. The characters are one-dimensional and stereotypical. The developing romantic subplot is of little interest to me. The squabbling between two supposedly grown men is irritating. The constant telling me how strong the female lead is is irritating. Show me, don't tell me. Especially don't tell me with cumbersome sentences like this: "It made her feel a bit embarrassed, a bit like the helpless female that she knew she wasn't." Th ...more
Darren Dilnott
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After carrying out my mandatory search for any instances of the F-word i was pleased to find many.
I was happy to have the audiobook, narrated by the superb Christian Rummel.
As always he performed brilliantly, in what i was pleased to find was an absolutely outstanding book.
Superb characters, with believable dialogue and response.
With the Zombie genre continually being flooded with extremely weak, fluffy, and dire rubbish, it was terrific to find an author who understands people.
Exciting, extreme
MKenfield21
Apr 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Terrible weapons-handling by professional cops/marines/ex-IDF.

Pointing uncharged weapons at people, yelling at them, then chambering a round?

Grabbing allies' guns in tense situations?

And the usual nonsense: safties on Glocks, etc.

Nope.
Heather Faville
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Technically a 4.5, but worthy of rounding up and not down

The Becoming by author, Jessica Meigs, has, quite honestly, just about everything I like about a zombie novel. A good plot, decently solid characters attempting to survive (I’ll get to why I said decently in a moment) and a good amount of action, both zombie and otherwise.

What I like about The Becoming is that, for the most part, it’s believable. Ok, so the odds of a police office, an ex-IDF sniper, a Marine and a paramedic all finding ea
G.R. Yeates
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing

The Becoming is Jessica Meigs' first novel. It opens with an apocalypse of the zombie kind. A virus is on the loose and the world is going to hell. This may sound familiar but whilst there are known elements here, there are nuances too that let you know you're in for a different kind of ride.
There are zombie authors a-plenty out there at the moment but what makes Jessica Meigs' novel stand out from amongst the crowd is her understanding of story; how to structure a narrative. The pacing of The B
Vanessa theJeepDiva
May 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, blog-tour, ebook, zombies
I enjoyed the mix of characters the most. They come from various walks of life and bring many different things to this tale. From the very beginning I thought Cade would bring the most badassery to the book. I was wrong on this. It took her a little while to draw me in to think of her as a strong heroine. Brandt a Lieutenant in the US Marines seems the most level of the group, which considering some of his actions is not saying a lot. He also saw the beginning of the fall. He was one of the many ...more
Patrick Nichol
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Becoming by Jessica Meigs is one of the best debut horror novels I've ever read.
The zombie apocalypse novel is smart, fast-paced and full of intriguing characters.
I also like that Meigs set her story in the Southeast U.S. - Memphis and Biloxi to be exact.
This is an astute plot device. Rather than base it in New York, L.A. or some other major metropolitan city, Meigs chose smaller cities. Having Doomsday arrive in Elvis' backyard is brilliant. Adds some diversity to the mix.
The story opens li
Brian Clopper
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Becoming is a fast-paced zombie read. What it also delves into is the planning and waiting one would have to deal with in an outbreak situation. Many times in zombie fiction, the characters are too well-prepared and their plans come together too quickly. Here, the characters plan, think it through, and still encounter problems that force them to adapt.

When I first started the book, I was worried about the characters the author employed. Often, the survivors in zombie fiction are stock charac

• As The World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 2
  • The Plan (Roads Less Traveled, #1)
  • After the End
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • Rise
  • Rotter World
  • Plague Town (Ashley Parker, #1)
  • Kings of the Dead
  • Life Among the Dead
  • Contagious (The Contagium #1)
  • Dead Tropics
  • Comes the Dark (The Dark Trilogy #1)
  • Among the Living
  • Dead Meat
  • I Zombie I (I Zombie, #1)
  • Zombie Apocalypse Preparation: How to Survive in an Undead World and Have Fun Doing It!
  • Solstice
Jessica Meigs is the author of The Becoming, a post-apocalyptic thriller series that follows a group of people trying to survive a massive viral outbreak in the southeastern United States. After gaining notoriety for having written the series on a variety of BlackBerry devices, she self-published two novellas that now make up the first book of the series. In April 2011, she accepted a three-book d ...more

The Becoming (5 books)
  • Ground Zero (The Becoming, #2)
  • Revelations (The Becoming, #3)
  • Under Siege (The Becoming #4)
  • Redemption (The Becoming #5)