Start by marking “After the Quake” as Want to Read:
After the Quake

After the Quake

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  32,954 ratings  ·  2,407 reviews
The six stories in Haruki Murakami’s mesmerizing collection are set at the time of the catastrophic 1995 Kobe earthquake, when Japan became brutally aware of the fragility of its daily existence. But the upheavals that afflict Murakami’s characters are even deeper and more mysterious, emanating from a place where the human meets the inhuman.

An electronics salesman who has
Paperback, reprint, 147 pages
Published May 13th 2003 by Vintage (first published February 25th 2000)

·  32,954 ratings  ·  2,407 reviews

Nishat
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
In response to the deadliest Kobe earthquake and the most enduring psychological consequences of the crisis, Haruki Murakami crafts six remarkable stories. Though the central characters evade the physical devastation, Haruki Murakami's exploration sheds light on the Japanese national conscience.

No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself.

I find incredible solace in Murakami's words. I always have.
Ahmad Sharabiani
After the Quake, Haruki Murakami
After the Quake is a collection of 6 short stories by Japanese author Haruki Murakami, written between 1999 and 2000. First published in Japan in 2000, it was released in English as after the quake in 2002 (translator Jay Rubin notes that Murakami "insisted" the title "should be all lower-case").
Contents: "UFO in Kushiro"; "Landscape with Flatiron"; "All God's Children Can Dance"; "Thailand"; "Super-Frog Saves Tokyo"; "Honey Pie"
عنوانها: بعد زلزله؛ بعد از زلزله؛
Nat
This was my first time reading Haruki Murakami's writing, and I was indeed more than intrigued and impressed. The six stories in this mesmerizing collection are set at the time of the catastrophic 1995 Kobe earthquake, when Japan became brutally aware of the fragility of its daily existence. But the upheavals that afflict Murakami’s characters are even deeper and more mysterious, emanating from a place where the human meets the inhuman.

My two favorite stories: thailand & honey pie.

thailand:
Emily
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
My favorite Murakami short story of all time is "The Kidney Shaped Stone That Moves Everyday." So when I realized halfway through the last story in After the Quake that the main character was the same one from "Kidney Shaped Stone," it was as if the planets had aligned, the clouds parted and a single shaft of sunlight shot down to bathe me in a golden glow; everything was perfect in the universe. And of course "Honey Pie" is now my second favorite Murakami story of all time.

It's a rare writer t
Mutasim Billah
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan, short-stories
“No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself.”

The Great Hanshin earthquake or Kobe earthquake occurred on 17th January 1995 and affected over a million lives in the southern part of the Hyōgo Prefecture. The loss of almost 6500 lives and the ruins of Kobe left a bruise at the country's core.

After the Quake doesn't chronicle the events of the earthquake, although all its stories have a vague connection to the disaster. However, instead of putting his characters at the very
Athena ღ
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ο μήνας Ιανουάριος άνοιξε και έκλεισε με Μουρακάμι. Πρόσφατα λοιπόν έπιασα το πρώτο μου βιβλίο από Μουρακάμι, και αυτό είναι το τρίτο που διαβάζω, και είτε μιλάμε για μυθιστόρημα 800 σελίδων είτε για βιβλίο αποτελούμενο από μικρές ιστορίες, όπως το συγκεκριμένο, δηλώνω γοητευμένη. Το "μετά το σεισμό" το διάβασα κυριολεκτικά in one sitting (που λένε και στο χωριό μου) και βρήκα τις ιστορίες του άλλες περισσότερο και άλλες λιγότερο ενδιαφέρουσες. Αγαπημένες μου η Ταϊλάνδη και η μελόπιτα.

“Θέλω να
Luke
Sep 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I don't know how Haruki Murakami deals with the pressure of being my favorite writer. Does he realize what kind of pedestal I've place him on? Does it keep him up at night? I'm forever waiting to be disappointed by one of his books--I mean, the guy can't be PERFECT, can he? Well it hasn't happened yet.

This slim little volume of short stories (only six of them in all), all loosely connected to the 1995 Kobe earthquake, didn't garner as much critical acclaim as some of Murakami's other books. And
Gypsy
آقا من موراکامی رو دوست دارم! ینی اگه تکتک این داستانها رو یکی برام تعریف کنه، میگم عه چقد خنک. اما وقتی موراکامی مینویسه چنان درگیر جزییات و شخصیتپردازی و معنا میشه که دیگه واویلا. بعد شکست عشقی رو من اینجا خوردم. همین جا، توی گودریدز که فهمیدم دوتا داستان این مجموعه نیومده! نمیدونم کدوم رو خوندم، درواقع صوتی گوش دادم. اما بازم اجرای زیبای حسین آزادی عزیز شکست عشقیمو زدود. :دی

از همه بیشتر داستان شیرینی عسل رو دوست داشتم. بقیه رو هم دوست داشتم و خوبیِ کتاب صوتی اینه که هروقت بخوای میتونی برگردی
Leore
okay. well. this was certainly interesting.

um, what was that frog story?
I liked some stories, others not so much.
Will pick up more Murakami later on.

3.5 stars.
Orient

"After the Quake" offers six short stories, which have one common point: Kobe earthquake in 1995. The characters don't actually experience the earthquake directly, but it changes their life, unsettles and uneases them. That's the only generality. At the same time, each of the short stories is like a separate story with its characters and world. To tell the truth I feel a little bit unsettled about this book, because it is definitely new, strange and unusual for me.

“UFO in Kushiro,” is quite a s
Mariah Roze
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this short read. This book held multiple short stories that were all very different but shared the same theme. Every main character was someone that was a "nobody." They were shy, didn't have many friends, and no specific talents. However, by the end of the story they meant something to someone and they had done something "interesting" with their life.

I also really enjoyed this book because they were all stories that took place in Japan and were about the Japanese culture. I lived in J
Gypsy
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

آقا یه چیز بگم بخندین بم. من قبلاً پسلرزه رو صوتی شنیده بودم، و نمدونستم بعدِ زلزله همون پسلرزهایه که با یه ترجمه و از یه نشر دیگه و صوتی نشیدمش :))))

دفعه پیش از داستان ابرقورباغه خوشم نیومد. اما الان پایانش خیلی برام شاهکار بود. فکر کنم پسلرزه سانسور هم داشت و یکی از داستانهاش حذف شده بود. داستان شیرینی عسلی رو برا بار سوم خوندم و لذت بردم و بهنظرم بهترین داستان این مجموعه اومد. همین دیگه.
Annie
Sep 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
In true Murakami style, where the plot isn’t so much important but rather a green screen for the characters to perform. But something so surreal and fascinating, its like taking a dive into what you would think is azure water, only it is not.

The surrealism that forms the centrifugal force in his stories like The Wind Up Bird  Chronicle ,continues its trend in this collection of short stories, each a derivative of the seismic upheaval in Kobe. Each story dips into the troubled waters and emerges
Maria Bikaki
4 αστεράκια της κλίμακας ρίχτερ.Ίσως από τα λιγότερο σύνθετα βιβλία του Χαρούκι Μουρακάμι που έχω διαβάσει αλλά εξίσου ποιοτικό και όπως ο σεισμός που αποτελεί και το κεντρικό θέμα στο οποίο στηρίζει τις ιστορίες του έτσι και εκείνος έρχεται να «κουνήσει» τον αναγνώστη με μια σειρά ιστοριών γεμάτες από εσωτερικές αναζητήσεις και με κέντρο τους τον άνθρωπο και τον διαφορετικό ψυχισμό αυτών. 6 διαφορετικές ιστορίες ανθρώπων ο καθενας με τα δικά του θέματα μάχονται για να αλλάξουν κάτι στις ζωές το ...more
Carmine
Terremoto interiore

"È tempo che lei cominci a prepararsi per affrontare la morte con dolcezza. Se lei continuerà a investire troppe energie solo nel vivere, non riuscirà a morire bene. Un poco alla volta è necessario fare questo cambiamento. In un certo senso vivere e morire si equivalgono, dottoressa."
Quella sera, nel suo grande letto immacolato, Satsuki pianse. Riconobbe il fatto che si stava dolcemente avviando verso la morte. Riconobbe di avere una pietra bianca e dura dentro il suo corpo.
Raha
اول می خواستم به کتاب سه امتیاز بدم اما داستان "شیرینی عسلی" به قدری شیرین و جذاب بود که تصمیم گرفتم چهار امتیاز بدم
C.
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to C. by: Modern and Contemporary Literature
I don't get Murakami. In terms of form and style, the stories in this collection are consistently clichéd and unoriginal. Over and over again he uses the same tired old technique: open the story with a scene set in the present and then go back and give a brief description of the characters' life stories, what brought them here, and so on before returning to the present and continuing the story. It is dull, dull, dull. The language he uses is simplistic and unsophisticated. It is straightforward ...more
Ioanna
Κλασσικά αγαπημένος Murakami!
ɐɹɐs
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
موراکامی راحت و آسون نفوذ میکنه به درون قلب آدم و قصشو تعریف میکنه، یه جوری می برتت به عمق شخصیتاش که میتونی لحظه های زندگیشونو با پوست و گوشت و استخون لمس کنی. داستان های اتویی در چشم انداز، شیرینی عسلی و تایلند رو خیلی دوست داشتم. ...more
Pardis
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
" مهم نيست سفرِ آدم چه قدر طولانى باشه، آدم هيچوقت نمى تونه از دستِ خودش فرار كنه. عين سايه ى آدمه. همه جا تعقيبت مى كنه."
Andrew Smith
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Kobe earthquake struck an area of southern Japan early one morning in January 1995. It took more than 4000 lives and left hundreds of thousands homeless. In this collection of six short stories the relationship of the narrative to the earthquake itself is sometimes clear but at other time obscure. A link they do all share is that the events in each story take place one month after the earthquake.

The stories often have no ending, they simply reflect the thoughts and actions of various people
FeReSHte
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story, japan
تا الان كه اين ريويو را مي نويسم تنها فرصت خواندن چند داستان كوتاه از موراكامي نصيبم شده و بايد بگم همگي بدون استثنا حس مشتركي رو در من ايجاد كردند. تنهايي بشري
قهرمان داستان هاي موراكامي هميشه تنها هستند حتي اگر با كلي آدم، دوست، رفيق و همكار احاطه شده باشند هميشه جايي در درونشون هست كه تنهايي رو فرياد ميزنه
تفاوت اين مجموعه داستان كوتاه با بقيه مجموعه هاي داستاني موراكامي در بررسي اثر اتفاقي واحد (زلزله ي بزرگ شهر كوبه ) روي زندگي چند نفر در چند داستان جداگانه است. براي من كه با داستان كوتاه ازت
Parastoo Ashtian
آتش میتونه هر شکلی که میخواد به خودش بگیره. آزاده. بنابراین بسته به درون آدمی که نگاهش میکنه، میتونه به هر شکلی در بیاد. حالا اگه تو این حس عمیق و آروم رو با دیدن آتش پیدا میکنی به این دلیله که اون داره همون حس عمیق و آرومی که درون خودته بهت نشون میده. منظورم رو میفهمی؟

از متن کتاب
K.D. Absolutely
Feb 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006 version)
Shelves: ex-1001
I am not sure why but this collection of six short stories that happened after the Kobe earthquake just did not impress me as much as his Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman did last month. Maybe because five out of the six stories have no fantasy ingredient like the talking cat, leeches falling from the sky, a TV zooming automatically at the sleeping you or the actual appearance of a UFO. These 6 short stories are mostly pure drama and the usual disappearance, leaving without saying goodbye or saying ...more
Pooya Kiani
خب، بد نبود، ولی نه ترجمه شاهکار بود و نه قلم خارقالعاده.
یه حسی بهم میگه موراکامی هم مثل سامرست موام، مثل ماکسیم گورکی یا برنارد شاو، تا حد بسیار زیادی فراموش میشه.
تبزدگی بیشتر از تاثیرپذیری در ارتباط مخاطب با آثار این افراد نقش داره. تب که فروکش کنه، تفاوت شولوخوف، وولف و کوبو آبه با موراکامیها پیدا میشه.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
In February and March of my #tbrexplode project, where I started at the beginning of my "want to read" list in Goodreads from 2009 and decide whether I still want to read those books, I hit a wall of Murakami. This book of short stories made the cut, all slightly related to the Great Hanshin, or Kobe, Earthquake that occurred in 1995. I did not understand the Frog story but was very moved by Thailand.
(When I googled the name of the earthquake earlier in March I discovered that there was an eart
Kevin Shepherd
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
On January 17, 1995 at 05:46 AM, a massive 6.9 earthquake struck the city of Kobe, Japan. 6,434 people lost their lives. Haruki Murakami takes this tragic reminder of the precariousness of life and interweaves it through six different short stories. Each story has its own distinct arc, and Murakami manages to incorporate several different genres (romance, magical reality, comedy, etc.) into this ensemble of loss and perseverance.

This is my second foray into the mind of Murakami and I am hooked.
Ian "Marvin" Graye
If Six Was One (or Two Were 19)

This is a lesser, almost insubstantial work, even if it is comprised of short stories.

The events described in each story have a very loose, tangential connection with the 1995 Kobe earthquake.

Apart from that, each story is capable of sitting on its own and being construed independently.

There's nothing especially interesting about any of the stories, except to the extent that they take a grab-bag of Murakami-esque themes and spin them into a tale.

At around 20 pages
Kenny
Wonderful collection. Review to follow.
Masoud Irannejad
یه مجموعه داستان جالب از هاروکی موراکامی
کتاب در حقیقیت دارای شش داستانه که زلزله سال 1995 کوبه زندگی شخصیت های داستان ها رو به نحوی تحت تاثیر قرار میده
من ترجمه ی علی حاجی قاسم از نشر نگاه رو خوندم که حقیقتا تعریفی نداشت و داستان همه ی بچه های خدا حق دارند برقصند تو این کتاب قرار داده نشده بود
اگه بخوام به هر داستان جداگونه نمره بدم نتیجه این خواهد بود:
شیرینی عسلی ۵
میانگینش میشه ۳.۷ که ۰.۷ نمره ا
Maryam
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
شش داستان اُتویی در چشم انداز-تایلند-اَبَرقورباغه توکیو را نجات می دهد-شیرینی عسلی -بشقاب پرنده در کوشیرو-همه ی بچه های خدا حق دارند برقصند در این مجموعه قرار دارد. اما همه داستانهای این مجموعه یک طرف، داستان اَبَر قورباغه توکیو را نجات می دهد هم طرف دیگر.این داستان زییای قورباغه ای است که از نیچه نقل قول می کند و عاشق رمان آناکارنینا است داستن قورباغه ای که می خواهد جلوی زلزله مهیب توکیو را بگیرد و سرانجام موفق می شود اما چطور و چگونه .آن را دیگر شما باید بخوانید

از مقدمه مترجم: موراکامی در داست
Ghazaleh
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
به عنوان اولین اثری که از یه نویسنده محبوبِ تقریبا همه اقشار کتابخون خوندم،چندان برام جذاب نبود.
Mahak
May 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
همه چیز به کنار، اون قورباغه هم به کنار :)
Dr Osama
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
مجموعة من القصص القصيرة لأشخاص مختلفين لكن يجمعهم حدث واحد وهو زلزال ضرب اليابان فغير مجرى حياة أبطال القصص لغير المتوقع.
Sophie
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ο σουρεαλισμός στην καλύτερή του έκφανση.
Μια συλλογή διηγημάτων, με κοινό άξονα την καταστροφή μετά τον σεισμό του 1995, με μοτίβα που επανέρχονται και διατρέχουν όλα τα έργα του, ως προς τους χαρακτήρες και ως προς την ίδια την πλοκή.
Γλαφυρή γλώσσα, ως συνήθως, πρωτότυπες, γεμάτες ζωντάνια, ιστορίες, που ισορροπούν ανάμεσα στον ρεαλισμό και το φανταστικό - ο Murakami κρατά αμείωτο το ενδιαφέρον για άλλη μια φορά και αποδεικνύεται αριστοτέχνης της μικρής φόρμας.
Inderjit Sanghera
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Murukami’s stories are ripe for pastiche and parody; ridden with tropes and characters which exist solely in Murukami’s stories, but which constantly pop-up; lackadaisical loners, tortured artists, the disaffected and the deranged, talking animals, convoluted plots; they can, if read concurrently, grate on the reader, but, taken in small doses, they emphasise the magic of Murukami’s imagination, resplendent with the weird and wonderful workings of his mind, a testament to his unrivalled storytel ...more
Seth T.
Jun 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay yeah, so really on a Murakami kick here. As I write this I'm also in the opening throes of his Norwegian Wood. In any case, After the Quake did nothing to halt my appreciation for his work. Despite the fact that many of his themes are here regurgitated. It's true, the flow of love for Haruki Murakami continues unabated.

That's not to say that there aren't high and low points in the collection of short stories. In fact a couple of the stories are merely Good.

In any case, in the wake of the Ko
Beth Asmaa
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth Asmaa by: Pellerin
Tales combine fables, dreams, realism. Those seem the way to understand in part overwhelming, irrational events such as the January 1995 Kobe earthquake that destroyed the city. Each unique story of After the Quake restores broken human connections. Even characters distant from its epicenter felt traumatized and their lives psychologically disoriented by its televised images and by its reminder of relations and friends at the site. 'UFO in Kushiro' connects a recently divorced man (because of th ...more
Susan Budd
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Six stories set in the aftermath of the 1995 Kobe earthquake ~ This is my first taste of Murakami.

“Super-Frog Saves Tokyo” is the highlight of the collection ~ a nightmarish work of magical realism that is at turns humorous, grave, and gross. Frog is a polite and well-spoken creature given to philosophical musings and literary references. In the course of the story he mentions Nietzsche, Conrad, Tolstoy, Hemingway, and Dostoevsky. He also has a good sense of humor. I love his indignation when h
Brad
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I headed home dulled by work, dulled by the world around me, dulled by meaningless discourse, dulled by the apathy of others, dulled by the drift that's been pulling my mind away from the bones that hold it in, and as I approached the turn off to the beach I felt a pull I couldn't avoid, so I turned off.

Piano lessons were waiting. My kids were waiting. I needed to buy groceries. There was time, if I hurried, to spend with my love. But I found myself in the sand, shoes off, striding to the north
Celeste - Una stanza tutta per me
Una raccolta di racconti malinconica e soffice con uno sfondo sfocato ma pregnante: il terremoto a Kobe del 1995.
Murakami è maestro della creazione di mondi ovattati e insonorizzati, in cui tuttavia il dolore riesce a tagliare come un coltello questa bolla di delicatezza creatasi tra lettore e personaggi. Splendido l'ultimo racconto, Torte al miele. Splendido con questa leggerezza tutta Murakamiana che ti rimane dentro per ore intere.
Lᴀʏᴀ Rᴀɴɪ #BookDiet2019
This had to be the seventh Murakami book I've read since I was seventeen. Back then, there are only two authors whose works I faithfully consumed. One was Murakami-sensei, the other was Chuck Palahnuik. Both have exceptional writing styles that stay with you and often haunt your days and nights if you allow them. I remember reading a Murakami anthology (The Elephant Vanishes) but since it was only a borrowed copy from the library, I never got to finish (I plan on re-reading that next year). This ...more
Shovelmonkey1
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: murakami fans and 1001 book readers
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: 1001 book and my friend Nick
I didn't realise this book was a series of short stories until I opened it and started reading. Murakami presents another weird and wonderful view into his world but this time focusing on the the way that a group of fictional characters were affected by the Kobe earthquake. All of these stories have their own merits but my favourite was probably Super-Frog saves Tokyo. I love Murakami although I have to say that this was not my favourite book by him as these stories don't really give him much of ...more
Matthew Snope
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is worth getting your grubby hands on just for the amazing short story "landscape with flatiron". For fuck's sake this guy can write. Sometimes some of his stuff is more appealing to me than others, but I'm blown away overall at his talent and prolificness. I'm also finding myself more drawn to shorter stories lately, having less patience for the modern grand master narrative of the epic novel, preferring instead the more fragmented, shorter, leaner & meaner postmodern narrative in the ...more
Sumit Singla
With an economy of words that's almost reminiscent of Hemingway, Haruki Murakami weaves together a delicious collection of 6 tales. The only possible complaint about this collection - it's too short! I wish it had had a few more such brilliant stories.

Set in the aftermath of the Kobe earthquake, the stories don't directly deal with the disaster, but it's there in the background. And the events that the earthquake sets in motion, have slow but sure effects on the characters' lives.

I think my favo
  • Haruki Murakami and the Music of Words
  • Popular Hits of the Showa Era
  • Kinshu: Autumn Brocade
  • The Ruined Map
Murakami Haruki (Japanese: 村上 春樹) is a popular contemporary Japanese writer and translator. His work has been described as 'easily accessible, yet profoundly complex'. He can be located on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/harukimuraka...

Since childhood, Murakami has been heavily influenced by Western culture, particularly Western music and literature. He grew up reading a range of works by Am
“No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself.” 786 likes
“When the fire goes out, you'll start feeling the cold. You'll wake up whether you want to or not.” 143 likes