Start by marking “L'evoluzione In Quattro Dimensioni: Variazione Genetica, Epigenetica, Comportamentale E Simbolica Nella Storia Della Vita” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  380 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Ideas about heredity and evolution are undergoing a revolutionary change. New findings in molecular biology challenge the gene-centered version of Darwinian theory according to which adaptation occurs only through natural selection of chance DNA variations. In Evolution in Four Dimensions, Eva Jablonka and Marion Lamb argue that there is more to heredity than genes. They t ...more
578 pages
Published 2007 by Utet (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about L'evoluzione In Quattro Dimensioni, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'evoluzione In Quattro Dimensioni

David
Jan 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, nonfiction
This is indeed, a very good book. Well written, well organized, and...quite a difficult book to read through. There is something about the style--it is a rather academic style, and some of the earlier chapters are quite dense--makes it tough reading.

Also, I didn't find the title to be quite accurate--it seems like it should be something like "Heredity in Four Dimensions". The reason is that the main theme of the book is how organisms inherit various traits; it is only indirectly about evolution.
Bria
May 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: biological organisms
I read this book slowly over several months, which only amplified the effect that I think it may have had anyway, which is that I so thoroughly integrated the whole paradigm it describes into my belief system that I no longer know what I learned from it. Besides being exquisitely explained and supported, the authors' attitudes are really what makes me swallow it up. Never do they hunker down and claim that everybody else is wrong and they are right, never do they dismiss counter-arguments, never ...more
Charlene
Jablonka is one of my favorite researchers of all time. Her papers and books opened my eyes to the world of epigenetics. She is a pioneer, who worked tirelessly to be heard, despite the horrible treatment she received from Elitist scientists, such as Richard Dawkins, whose own work is stuck in the dark ages of genetic research, while Jablonka's work remains on the cutting edge.

Jablonka is never included in John Brockman's Edge books. Yet, fossils like Dawkins are. It's shocking to me, consideri
Ed
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biology, my-reviews
Jablonka and Lamb pull together many ideas about evolution to suggest that the Modern Synthesis prevalent since the 1930s is due for a reconceptualization. They argue that evolution involves not one but four kinds of inheritance systems: genetic, epigenetic, behavioral, and (in humans) symbolic. Epigenetic systems involve cellular variations appearing in the course of development, so that cells with the same DNA can develop in quite different directions. Since this information is preserved when ...more
Kathryn
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I found that the chapters I had some background in were very readable. However, I often had to reread portions that discussed material that was brand new for me. This was made worthwhile by last two chapters, which brought all the material together. They did loose me a little when they suggested language was a heritable unit, but the discussion of the reigning hypotheses of the evolution of language was interesting. Despite this, I think that their overall theory holds together without language ...more
Darnell
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I was a little worried that a book 10+ years old would be dated in a field that moves this quickly, but I found this quite useful. Though not as cutting edge on epigenetics, it covers its subjects much more thoroughly than the other pop science books I've read on the subject.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I found the book's illustrations to be downright strange. Instead of illuminating the concepts, I often had to look at them for a second to figure out what they were supposed to explain
Becky
Hm. I liked the discussion of the interplay of these different mechanisms, particularly the epigenetics. The authors feel their ideas are pretty radical, but they don't seem so entirely far out to me. However, I do think they get hung up (and devoted to) certain terms in a way that confuses the issue.
Siv30
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
כבר כשקראתי את "אבולוציה בארבעה מימדים" תהיתי איך אני אצליח לפתות אתכם לקרוא ספר רחב יריעה שחולש על תחומים מגוונים שעל הקשת שבקצה אחד שלה: ביולוגיה, כימיה וגנטיקה מולקולרית, ובקצה השני שלה הורשה, שפה וסמלים.

החלטתי שהדרך הטובה להעביר את החוויה שלי תהיה ע" כך שאפרום את הספר המורכב והעשיר הזה לחוטים חוטים של מחשבות והגיגים כך שתוכלו לפחות להתרשם ממגוון הנושאים שמטופלים בספר.

החלק הראשון של הספר עוסק באבולוציה, גנטיקה והורשה. בשפה שמדברת לקורא בגובה העיניים מסבירות המחברות את עקרונות האבולוציה, הגנטי
Rian Nejar
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent, comprehensive, very well-written volume on genetics, epigenetics, and a plethora of nature, nurture, and other influential causes to determining physical and behavioral evolution.

Jablonka and Lamb's writings are pithy and most insightful. For instance, here's an excerpt:
Jed
I'm not a scientist, so I feel like I don't have the background to assess the validity of the points set out in this book. However, the authors seem to make a compelling case, in as ordinary language as possible, for why DNA is not the only feature involved in evolution.

The authors claim that epigenetic, behavioral and even symbolic variation has the capacity to influence heredity because they each have the power to favor the survival of certain genetic features. (I hope that makes sense.) Essen
Cameron
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
I was excited to read this book as the growing field of epigenetics is finally gaining interest and momentum in the scientific community. It's adoption will change the face of evolutionary theory. In this book, the authors define four basic categories of epigenetic transmission of information and develop them fully including providing evidence of how this information is passed. The authors are renowned in this field for their work. I was hoping to discover a little more profundity in their work, ...more
Miklos
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The authors make the point in their foreword that certain parts of the book are meant for scientists and academicians and others for the lay public. While the lay chapters are fascinating, describing both the behavioral and symbolic types of generational transmission of information, the other two types; genetic and epigenetic are far tougher. While the arguments that the authors lay out appear to be compelling, the sheer density of some of the content may make it difficult to justify this readin ...more
Meen
I cannot express how relieved I was to find out about epigenetics!!!! It is so hard to dispute folks who refute any kind of social progress with "it's against Nature" arguments. Like most of us I yearn for undeniable "proof" for my beliefs, but if we are all hard-wired for certain behaviors and social relationships, then I am just engaging in the same kind of wishful thinking religious folks do, right? Epigenetics saved me! Our outsides DO influence our insides! Mille remercies to PBS and "Nova" ...more
John
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, and well simplified explanation of the extremely complex subject that is evolution. Jablonka and Lamb do an incredible job of explaining how epigenetics, symbolic and behavioral inheritance rival the importance of our DNA in the process of evolution. A highly recommended read for both scientists and lay persons alike!
Michiel
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: evolution
A very good and enjoyable book about evolution. This book is in a similar vein as 'Evolutionary development biology', where the gene centered view we all know and love thanks to Dawkings is critically evaluated. The authors skillfully lay their theories using interesting examples, critical dialogues and very funny and nicely drawn cartoons.

K8barton
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biology
Fantastic book on evolution - perfect for anyone with even a little background in biology. First section is the best history of the theory of evolution that I've ever read, from Darwin to today. Next is about different ways living things inherit stuff - other than genes - and how that shapes us.
James
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is probably a fantastic book if you're really, really, really into evolution. But, for me, it was some 400 pages which could have been summarized in a short article. The examples were nice, but it just seemed to drag on and on for me.
Aaron Jacob
Really interesting read... evolution does not occur in a Darwinian vacuum. Note: i skipped the dialogues with I.M. ... i think those would be a great learning tool if this book was used as a course book, but for me, they just slowed me down.
John
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned about epigenetic inheritance in some detail. I had only the vaguest idea before that. The authors take some nice thrusts against the standard "selfish gene" model, and you learn a lot of biology along the way.
Xin
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book that complements well the standard, gene-centered view of evolution. The sections about epigenetics are particularly good. The book is more about evolutionary theory, though, than about the molecular mechanisms of epigenetics (a hot research topic). And the book is a bit too long.
Mary
Jun 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled with this at first, but picked it up again recently. It is very well written (and well illustrated). I learned a lot from it, since I know little about any of the stuff they were describing.
Uyar
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i read turkish translation. lots of ideas are spread in the book but sometimes confusing. Nurture seems to catagorize as genetics
Dgg32
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new complementary view of evolution. I suppose this book is for guys with biological backgrounds, well college level background to be precise.
Mark Longo
Nicolas
Jul 23, 2013
  • Primates and Philosophers: How Morality Evolved
  • The Self-Organizing Universe: Scientific and Human Implications
  • Sex and War: How Biology Explains Warfare and Terrorism and Offers a Path to a Safer World
  • The Epigenetics Revolution
  • Sense and Nonsense: Evolutionary Perspectives on Human Behaviour
  • Life's Engines: How Microbes made the Earth Habitable
  • Adaptation and Natural Selection: A Critique of Some Current Evolutionary Thought
  • What Is Life?
  • Epigenetics: The Ultimate Mystery of Inheritance
  • The Richness of Life: The Essential Stephen Jay Gould
  • Power, Sex, Suicide: Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life
  • Evolution for Everyone: How Darwin's Theory Can Change the Way We Think About Our Lives
  • The Last Human: A Guide to Twenty-Two Species of Extinct Humans
  • The Music of Life: Biology Beyond Genes
  • The Tangled Bank
  • Speciation
  • Into the Cool: Energy Flow, Thermodynamics, and Life
  • The Origins of Life: From the Birth of Life to the Origin of Language

“If anyone imagines that scientists are dispassionate and impartial people, discussing theories and ideas unemotionally in the cool clear light of reason, they have been seriously misled.” 0 likes
“It is only when you have average or low levels of cholesterol that being a carrier of "bad" allele 4 puts you at a greater risk than others with the same cholesterol level.” 0 likes