Start by marking “Artifacts of Death (Manny Rivera, #1)” as Want to Read:
Artifacts of Death (Manny Rivera, #1)

Artifacts of Death (Manny Rivera #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  340 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Events which took place in 1938 lead to the present-day killing of a ranch hand in the remote canyon country near Moab, Utah, a mecca for outdoor adventure seekers. The only clue besides a 9-mm slug in the victim's head is an ancient-Indian potsherd stuck into his chest.

Deputy Sheriff Manny Rivera is assigned the case and judges that it's likely related to a drug deal gon
Published February 8th 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Artifacts of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Artifacts of Death

Lisa Malmquist
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm thrilled to find this series. I especially enjoyed the setting in Moab, as I am pretty familiar with that area.
A local ranch hand is found dead in a canyon. Deputy Manny Rivera has been assigned the case. He has been told to solve the case fast as tourist season is coming soon, no one wants a killer on the loose in the canyon country. Then he starts to figure out there is a connection to valuable ancient pottery and artifacts. Looks simple and one dimensional, however, another case comes int
Jennifer S. Alderson
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the setting and story as well as the information included about Native American art and artifacts smuggling. The author dedicates this book to Tony Hillerman, which makes me want to read his work even more. I loved the descriptions of Utah and the 'desert country'.

My only complaint is that the mystery that has to be solved by a police officer, is actually explained in the first few chapters. The rest of the book is the officer playing catch up. I kept waiting for another plot t
Marie
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very well written little mystery story, even more enjoyable because it was set in areas I know about--Moab, Salt Lake City, and Vernal, Utah. It concerns the illegal sale of Indian artifacts, which has been and continues to be a problem, and the deputy who solves the whole situation/crimes. It was a good read!
Geoffrey Kozen
Jan 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
There was neither a mystery here, nor twists. Every facet was completely and blandly predictable. To make matters worse, the dialogue sounds like it was written by Siri. Completely unbelievable--nobody talks the way the author has his characters talking. I could not recommend less.
Britt, Book Habitue
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Good story but an unfortunate amount of "telling" rather than "showing".
Teresa
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
An intriguing non-grisly plot and descriptive desert-country elements kept me reading until the end. On the one hand I enjoyed armchair traveling through the canyons and cliffs, and rooting for the bad guy, rather hoping for a flash flood to help him out by washing away traces of his crime. On the other hand, when the story shifts to the detective I felt like I was listening to a dull uncle at Thanksgiving tell a plodding story full of boring details. Hope the author loosens up the starchy shirt ...more
Kay Laird
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous mystery! Loved the characters and the setting.
Beth
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Has been compared to Hillerman, but is not quite as good. Lot of description of the four corners country, but a good mystery. Keeps you guessing until the end.
Vickie Sigler
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twisting like the canyons it takes place in...

First entry in Curtin's Manny Rivera series certainly does not disappoint! The plot is simple enough, but there are several twists that are unexpected, including a moral question about law versus justice that Rivera must resolve.
One thing I really liked was that the author did not feel obligated to spend a lot of time reviewing the main character's background. Kept it to a minimum, just enough to make him a relatable person.
Looking forward to the n
David L. Haven, Jr.
Rich Curtin has an avocation, he has found his niche

This romantic police procedural launches Curtin via Detective Manny Rivera into a place alongside James Lee Burke. A principled man, a sense of justice and a romantic in the best sense of the word. Rivera may lack the grit of a Dave Robicheaux, but he's young.

Curtin is a master at setting the table, facts, Artifacts, nature, office, home are where we expect them to be, but there's still room for a twist or two on the dessert cart.

A fun read.
Steven Howes
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
While I wouldn't rank this book as being quite on the same level as say a Tony Hillerman (Jim Chee) or Craig Johnson (Walt Longmire) novel, I found it to be an enjoyable read with a clever plot and a few surprises. The main character, Deputy Sheriff Manny Rivera, is a likeable and believable character. His territory includes the canyon country around Moab, Utah, and he is charged with solving a murder mystery involving a hidden cache of Native American pottery and a long-lost missing person.

I en
Janis
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful detective/crime novel. Not quite a cozy but a very gentle non-violent mystery. There's a little bit of a historical romance and the hint of a future romance for our dashing detective. The scenery is described perfectly - the Moab area is incredibly beautiful. Enjoy all this book has to offer.
Mary Morris
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Manny Rivera is the Star

Good mystery with lots of history of the Ancient Indians. Starts off slow but after Manny Rivera is introduced it picks up. It begins with the death of a deputy sheriff's funeral but that is not mentioned again. Wonder why the author began that way? Liked Manny and wider if he
Lyle Knebel
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great authentic story

I appreciated this twists and turns of the story. The setting is intriguing and accurate. I also appreciate the lack of vulgar language, once again, as the classics have been written, it proves words can adequately describe without being offensive. It’s a story for all.
Bonsai
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
The writing still needs quite a bit of polishing but the characters are likeable and have the potential to develop a depth. The plot and the background worked into the story was interesting. Liked that the crimes weren't a "evil people do stuff" only but the slippery road of choices made.
John Winkworth
What a Guy Has to Do to Get a Great Enchilada

Good read, interesting characters, and some wonderful pots. Important understanding of justice and the law. Listen to your grandfather. The end...
Thomas Lake
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New to me

I am usually one for detective mysteries,but
I decided to give it a try due to the southwest theme. Am I ever glad I did. I was totally engrossed in the story!
Sherron L Pace
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing

When someone just disappears leaving no word there are worries about why. When the leaving person has someone waiting to marry them there is a very big why.
Belma
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So happy to find this series and this author!
Sharon
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, the-west
Excellent, well-crafted plot. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Katie Nelson
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love murder mysteries but I don't like gore. I have had a hard time finding enjoyable mysteries that aren't full of yucky details or bad language/content so I was thrilled to run into this author. He does a great job of telling a story without getting bogged down in the usual traps of throwing in unnecessary garbage.

My background might make this book series perfect for me. I've grown up in Utah and I love the landscape of southern Utah that is the setting for this book. My family lives in New
Jackie
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: detective-series
As someone who loves hiking in the canyons of Utah, I really enjoyed reading this book and viewing the locations on my Utah map. The story is good, but I found the writing style to be a bit rigid and detail oriented. I would not be surprised to find out that the author is an engineer by background. The descriptions in the book demonstrated an engineer's attention to details. I will definetly continue this series.
Leslie Nagel
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A solid kickoff to a series I look forward to exploring further. Manny has a gentle soul and an eye for natural beauty. I want to visit Moab. The writing style doesn't ratchet up the tension, since we get all the answers thru constant visits to the POV of various perps and side players. Nevertheless, the steps of the mystery kept me engaged to the final, satisfying epilogue.
Allison Kohn
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I enjoyed reading this book very much. There was more than one mystery for Manny to solve all rapped up in one. He humanize all of his characters - good and bad and made me concerned about everyone as I read. There is a lot of meat to this tale. I recommend to anyone who likes to become really involved in what they read and loves a good deceptive mystery.
Patricia
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Good story. I wouldn't really call this a mystery. The reader has all the facts and merely reads along as Manny solves all the questions to which you already know the answers. However, it is a nice story and I liked Manny. It was a "clean" story. I may read book 2.
Tracey S Choat
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good 4 1/2 Stars

I enjoy reading crime/police novels so when I saw this book on kindle unlimited I borrowed it. It was very convincing, likeable characters, descriptive scenery. I just downloaded book 2.
John Wintersteen
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Thought it was a bit wooden and formulaic. Am reading the second one now (4/14). We'll see.
Elaine
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Another Manny RIvera mystery set in Utah. Enjoyed the descriptions of the high plateau dessert southwest and the people who choose to live in the quietiest part of the country
Elizabeth
I think once the main character deputy Sheriff Manny Rivera gaines a little self-confidence the stories will pick up.
Twocubed222
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! Love the mystery and details of Utah's terrain.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Ptolemy (A Pot Thief Murder Mystery #2)
  • Summer of the Woods (The Virginia Mysteries #1)
  • The Great Pyramid Robbery (The Seven Fabulous Wonders, #1)
  • Moon Mask
  • The Embalmer's Daughter
  • Secret of the Sands
  • Dry Heat
  • Firework Boy
  • Weak Flesh
  • Minotaur Revisited
  • Radiant Girl
  • Desert Run (A Lena Jones Mystery #4)
  • Against Walls (Amgalant One)
  • History Lover's Cookbook
  • The Secret of the Rose
  • The Claddagh Ring: Ireland's Cherished Symbol of Friendship, Loyalty, and Love
  • Native Blood (Small Town Sheriff With Big Time Trouble)
  • The Romanov Legacy (Natalie Brandon Thrillers, #1)

Manny Rivera (5 books)
  • February's Files (Manny Rivera, #2)
  • Trails of Deception (Manny Rivera, #3)
  • MoonShadow Murder (Manny Rivera, #4)
  • Deadly Games (Manny Rivera, #5)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99