Start by marking “Evidence That Demands a Verdict” as Want to Read:
Evidence That Demands a Verdict

Evidence That Demands a Verdict

A classic, authoritative defense of Christianity containing arguments from the best apologetics of the ages. Scholarly, intelligent resposes for those who question or attack the basis of Christian faith.
Paperback
Published December 1st 1986 by Nelsonword Publishing Group (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Evidence That Demands a Verdict, please sign up.
Marilyn Basel One also has to consider that there were more than 500 eyewitness to the risen Jesus after he had been dead and buried for three days. A mere human…moreOne also has to consider that there were more than 500 eyewitness to the risen Jesus after he had been dead and buried for three days. A mere human could not have done that, come back to life after it had been beaten out of him and sealed shut in a tomb guarded by Roman soldiers. The eyewitnesses died painful deaths rather than change their eyewitness testimonies, so that their killers were in some cases convinced the Christ they proclaimed was real. Not only that, but there is the witness of people's hearts changed today from terrorism to followers of Christ by encounter with whom they say is the living Jesus. Would the author of life and death have kept the rights to His own natural laws? Yes. But if life itself came from The Almighty Father, what prevents Him from giving the power of life freely in abundance to His sacrificed Son Jesus? Also there is the proof of statistics and probability. The odds against one person being able to fulfill more than 300 specific prophecies given from a thousand to hundreds of year prior to his birth, which by the way are all fulfilled in the historical person Jesus, if the number was electrons, would take 19 million years cubed to count. So there is plenty of other evidence to consider. The reliability of the Bible is better than for any other book we have on earth. That's another fact to consider.(less)

Manny
Mar 11, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not proven.

And I really got tired of him constantly referring to Christian apologists as "the famous such-and-such". If they're all so famous, how come I've never heard of them?
David Sarkies
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Christians and Non-Christians alike
Recommended to David by: My Church
Shelves: christian
Not the most objective book
18 January 2013

I have noticed that this book receives some bad responses, but then that is not surprising when you have a book that is purporting to outline all of the evidence supporting the authenticity of Christianity. Unfortunately it has been a while since I read it but it is one of those books that is ordered as notes as opposed to being written in prose to make it easier see the evidence that McDowell argues. However, the problem, as one person suggested, is th
Terry Morgan
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Have read this more than once, and several revisions. This is not a casual read. It is written more like a source book, or a thesis on the premises of who was Jesus Christ, and the claims of the Bible. Excellent read!
Stephanie
Jun 03, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As a teenager, I read this to help strengthen my faith but found it to be full of logical fallacies. After reading this, I wondered why a leading apologetic book had to use fallacious arguments as supposed evidence for faith. This led to deeper examination and I have still yet to find any good evidence for Christian beliefs.
Jen
Apr 01, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: schmutzwasser
The verdict is in. This book is schmutzwasser. And I don't have to prove that it is, since he doesn't really prove his points, either.
Denise
Best thing I can say is that Mr. McDowell has given an honest effort in gathering all the information he feels justifies his beliefs. The title of the book is misleading. Despite the impressive number of quotes and apologetics, evidence is lacking. This book suffers profusely from circular reasoning, "facts" with no support, and sources that don't matter. I love C.S. Lewis too, that doesn't mean his opinion carries any weight.
Gerald Curtis
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was my second reading.

I love this book, written in defense of Christianity by a former doubter, now turned apologist.

It is an amazing collection of evidence from history, world experts and even skeptics, and hundreds of presentations of logic and debate that are overwhelmingly compelling.

Kat
Jul 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
If I were a Christian, I would be insulted and embarrassed by the contents and presentation of this book. As an atheist, it is both hilarious and frustrating. "Evidence That Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell is, if I may be blunt, one of the biggest pieces of intellectually dishonest, self-serving tripe that I have ever read. The entire thing can be summed up with the old Sunday school song: "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so."

Although the book is titled "Evidence That Dem
Rock Rockwell
Oct 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Evidential apologetics to strengthen the faith of Christians. A good 'resource' to keep on your shelf.
Opa
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great reference book.
Pete Bartel
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent arguments for Christianity based on history.
Bill
Dec 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
The worst of Christian apologetics. If taken seriously, it accomplishes the exact opposite of the authors goal.
Rick
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I read it page by page this is more of a reference resource. The chapter on the resurrection is worth the price of the entire book.
Michaël Wertenberg
Jul 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Wow.
I was a born-again fundamentalist when I read this book, and I still found it laughable.
It almost reads like a parody.
Michael
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great apologetics reference with lots of fascinating material.
Bro
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
you need this book in your library! You cannot find a more articulate defense of the truth.
Sara
Jul 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
When this showed up today as one of my recommendations, I remembered I read this book many, many years ago. Don't remember much about it and nowadays I don't think I'd be impressed with it.
Ashish Jaituni
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apologetics
This is one book every apologist must have! It contains all the topics required by an apologist to make a case for Christianity.
Kenneth
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize there are so many evidences for the truth of the Bible and the Christian faith. The evidences are too many to list.
Apryl Anderson
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Evidence that Josh McDowell did his homework. I'd give it an A+ if it weren't so scholarly and dull. McDowell gives us the bare bones, it's up to the individual to bring faith to life.
❄️ Patty ☃️
Dec 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommended to ❄️ Patty ☃️ by: family
Shelves: 2018
First of all. This book is obnoxiously long. I feel no shame in admitting I skimmed this book since this is the second book that I read at the request of my family members. (See "Case for Christ" review) I did my part, but our conversation following really had nothing to do with this book, so just watch out for that if you haven't fallen for that book swap trap before. (ugh!) So let's just say, I'm done reading religious books for other people. I mean, that's probably a good rule of thumb anyway ...more
Steve Rainwater
May 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is a book for people who already believe and are looking for additional arguments to feed their confirmation bias. I read this book (and its sequel) as a Christian when I was younger and looking for reasons not to doubt but found the arguments in the book were so full of logical fallacies, circular arguments, and generally poorly reasoned that it actually resulted in more doubt. I figured if this was really the best we could, my doubts were justified. So it makes it hard to classify. It def ...more
Helen
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well, it has taken me a year to finish this book. Not because it was bad, or poorly written. There was a lot of content to take in, a lot of things to check against other sources, and a lot of things to pray over. This book has strengthened my resolve in the validity of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, as well as the validity of the content of the Bible as a whole. I recommend it for anyone who has questions about their faith, and anyone prejudiced against it.
James
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I first read this, but all-in-all I thought it was a very well written and researched book on Christian apologetics. I am not one to say that the Bible and science clash, and McDowell doesn't think so either. Many have opposed this book, saying it did not get all the facts right, but that is all stipulation. No one has it all right. He makes a big claim here and offers evidence to substantiate that evidence. For that I give the book five stars.
David Runyon
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's a lot of interesting stuff here. I'd like to read the updated version, as some of the material in this edition is a little dusty. It seems overly biased in some spots, and the Christian faith still requires faith, but overall this is a valuable resource for the Christian seeking more information about the faith or the agnostic open to exploring Christianity's claims.
Kathy
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it

Tough slog, hence 3 stars, but it also has 5 stars in so much great information. I too hope to not only finish reading this tome but also absorb at least part of the indisputable information brought together by McDowell.
Kathyanngallagher
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an excellent book that "just sticks to the facts ma'am" I read this years ago and can't wait to read the follow up versions. When reading the Bible, not knowing the culture at the time can hinder some of the revelations that the Bible is eager for us all to know. Simply, an excellent read.
Angel
Oct 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in apologetics
Hard to follow at times, but contained some hard to find condensed biographical references to historical, archeological, biblical and other experts in their respective fields.
Nancy
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book while taking the course Christianity Explored at my church. A great book. a bit academic.
Christopher Horne
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Every person should ask is the God of the Bible true. Then who was this Jesus? The claims are so profound and controversial to some, I owed the book a reading. As a engineer, I look for proof of a statement (If A, then B....). The Bible does have historical evidence but the historicity of Jesus is not overwhelming. So does that mean Jesus did not do miracles? It simply means, there is a good chance he did since he was a controversial figure and other evidence the book presents. When I asked a re ...more
  • Know Why You Believe
  • Amplified Bible
  • The Kingdom of the Cults
  • Who Moved the Stone?
  • Life on the Edge: A Young Adult's Guide to a Meaningful Future
  • The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable?
  • The Genesis Record: A Scientific and Devotional Commentary on the Book of Beginnings
  • The Case for Easter: A Journalist Investigates the Evidence for the Resurrection
  • Prodigals and Those Who Love Them
Since beginning ministry in 1961, Josh has given more than 24,000 talks to over 10 million young people in 118 countries. He is the author or coauthor of 112 books, selling over 51 million copies worldwide, including More Than a Carpenter (more than 15 million copies in print worldwide), which has been translated into over 85 languages, and The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict, recognized by Wo ...more
“Este Jesús de Nazareth sin dinero ni armas, conquistó a más millones que Alejandro, César, Mahoma y Napoleón; sin ciencia y sin erudición derramó más luz sobre las cosas divinas y humanas que todos los filósofos y eruditos combinados; sin la elocuencia de las escuelas, habló tales palabras de vida como nunca antes o después fueron dichas, y produjo efectos que yacen más allá del alcance del orador o poeta; sin escribir ni una sola línea, y proporcionó temas para más
sermones, oraciones, discusiones, volúmenes de erudición, obras de arte , y cánticos de alabanza que él ejercito completo de grandes hombres de los tiempos antiguos y modernos”.”
1 likes
“Again from Napoleon: "The nature of Christ's existence is mysterious, I admit; but this mystery meets the wants of man — reject it and the world is an inexplicable riddle; believe it, and the history of our race is satisfactorily explained.” 0 likes