Start by marking “The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2)

The Ghost Walker

(Wind River Reservation #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  1,604 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
Father John O'Malley comes across the corpse lying in a ditch beside the highway. When he returns with the police, it is gone. The Arapahos of the Wind River Reservation speak of Ghost Walkerstormented souls caught between the earth and the spirit world, who are capable of anything.Then, within days, a young man disappears from the Reservation without a trace. A young wom ...more
Published September 1st 1997 by Berkley (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost Walker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost Walker

Michael
Fr. John O'Malley, a Jesuit priest is pastor at St. Francis Mission at the Wind River Reservation in Wyoming.

On the way to a meeting on a snowy day, his car breaks down and while walking for help, he stumbles over a body partially hidden in the snow. When he reaches help and returns with the sheriff, the body has been removed.

He is also informed that there is a plan to sell the Mission and build a community center. The economic advisor for the reservation is behind the idea as is an attorney wh
Mark
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Although the plot was a bit formulaic and contrived, this was an enjoyable read due to the setting and characters. I will continue to read in this series. I'm amused by the number of ways Margaret Coel describes the sky and the weather - a constant reminder of people's heightened awareness of the outdoors in this high prairie setting.
Leslie Conner
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story, well written with difficult and complex problems.interesting discussion of current modern social issues and well developed characters. It moves so fast at the end. Well worth the slower beginning.
Cathy Cole
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Margaret Coel's writing puts you right on the Wind River Reservation in Wyoming-- and that winter wind cuts right through you while you try to piece together all the clues in a very satisfying mystery. While the setting is beautifully rendered, what holds all the pieces of location and investigation together is her superb cast of characters.

Father John O'Malley is a real, flawed human being who cares deeply for the Arapaho on the Wind River Reservation. He has taken the time and trouble to lear
Randee Baty
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to say, this is the first book I've read that's made me want to go put my coat on!

Father John is the priest on at St. Francis parish on the Wind River Reservation in Wyoming and this book is set in the middle of winter. We start out with Father John having car problems in the middle of a blizzard and it just seems to get colder from there. When he gets out of the car to find help, he instead finds a dead body in a ditch. By the time he can get the police to the site, the body is gone. No
Barb
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am on a voyage of discovery. I've collected all of Margaret Coel's books, and I'm marathon-reading them. This is an amazing series, and THE GHOST WALKER is incredible all by itself. So much research and study has obviously gone into the writing; the author is intimately familiar with the way of the Arapahoe people. At the forefront of this tale there is the inevitable conflict between the tribe and neighboring whites. THE GHOST WALKER introduces us to a corporation who wants to buy the land th ...more
June
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery and Hillerman fans
Recommended to June by: Cheryl
The main characters are very sympathetic, maybe because of their faults. They still try to do the "right" thing. Escaping abusive relationships, leaving children, what we owe our children - how to help them, alcohalism... all very contemporary and universal themes. I have ordered the third in the series.
KDawn
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
A good story. I liked the mystery and the interaction of the characters...

However I don't recommend listening to it. You can hear the pages turning and volume goes up and down. The reader (Stephanie Brush)is hard to listen to for me. Unfortunately, everyone sounds like a little girl. I think a male reader would be better since the lead character is a man, too. IMHO.
Wanda Hargrove
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
During a blizzard, Father John O'Malley's truck breaks down. As he walks toward the highway looking for help and a ride to a shop he knows he comes across a body in a ditch. He reports it to the BIA police but things take a strange turn when the body is missing. The Arapaho believe that if the dead is not put to rest then it becomes a ghost walker and creates mischief. Father John can't help but wonder who the body was when he comes across a fact he can't overlook. An Arapaho is missing, and the ...more
Jan
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Father John O'Malley comes across the corpse lying in a ditch beside the highway. When he returns with the police, it is gone. The Arapahos of the Wind River Reservation speak of Ghost Walkers—tormented souls caught between the earth and the spirit world, who are capable of anything.Then, within days, a young man disappears from the Reservation without a trace. A young woman is found brutally murdered. And as Father John and Arapaho lawyer Vicky Holden investigate these crimes, someone—or someth ...more
Sue
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in Coel's Wind River Reservation series and is the second book that I've read. I have to say that I enjoyed The Ghost Walker even more than the first book, The Eagle Catcher. The mystery in The Ghost Walker was detailed and a nail-biter. There were a few times that I knew what was coming but most of the time events were a surprise as they unfolded. However, the strengths of Coel's writing are her characters, they are strong, complex and well-written, and her knowledge and ...more
Dr T
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A pretty good story, although very derivative of the famous Hillerman Navajo mysteries. The action takes place with the Arapahoes of western Wyoming, and does a good job of fitting into the traditions and realities of Arapaho life on the Wind River reservation. The story revolves around an Anglo Jesuit priest who runs the mission on the reservation and his relations with the natives and his struggles with off-reservation powers. Threats of closure of the mission and its sale to a mysterious Cali ...more
Mike
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Wind River Reservation series. I had read the first book and found it a bit difficult to follow. I found this book to have a much more readable style. I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Although some of the plot twists were easy to see others were sufficiently surprising to make the book a very enjoyable read. It convinced me to keep reading the series.

I recommend the book as a pleasant mystery to read.
Susan McHale
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this first book in the series. Much in the style of Hillerman and other southwestern writers, Margaret Coel is adept at painting a picture of life on the Arapaho reservation and the culture that persists. The challenges of life on the reservation drive the plot of this book and I found that fascinating. The only reason I gave it 4/5 stars is because some outcomes in this read are fairly predictable.
Diane
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I like the setting and the mystery was good. The characters were fine, but not very engaging. I kept comparing this to Tony Hillerman's mysteries that included a good amount of information about the Native Americans in the Southwest. Coel didn't get too much into the Native customs in this book.
Julie
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Young people are being murdered, the church representatives have sent people to tell Father John O'Malley that they are closing the mission, and Vickie's daughter is back on the reservation and is addicted to some drug. The action moves swiftly and one marvels at how much can be fit into this few pages. The book reads quickly and is exciting.
Stacie  Haden
This is the second book in the series. I felt like this one was a little too formulaic and scripted. I reserve final judgement on that until I've read a couple more. I like the setting of the Wind River reservation in Wyoming.
Julie
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I started this one, I was surprised at some of the changes since the previous book. I felt like I had skipped a book, but this was listed as book 2.

Lots of coincidences, but the characters are strong and their motivations feel real.
Mary
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Solid entry in an engaging series set on an Arapaho reservation. Great plot with no obvious twists. Particularly well drawn characters written with considerable sensitivity towards the Arapaho culture.
Jay Wright
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. I am afraid I have not followed them in order. The main characters are a priest and an Native American female lawyer. The combination, though strange, is a good one. The struggles of the Arapaho are instructive and I would surely want to visit the reservation.
Virginia Adi
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this one--improbable but engaging
Linda
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Elsie
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like the setting and the characters in these books. This is just an enjoyable read, almost back to the start of the series!
Debbie
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting tale of external pressure and corruption on the Wind River Reservation.
Alethea Bothwell
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I wasn't impressed by the first book in this series, but this one seems better - more of a mystery - so I'm glad I happened to check out two of them from the library.
Eloise
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love these stories and planning to get busy and read them all!
Bonniecco cco
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Number two in the series, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I recommend all the Wind River series, and I am following my advice and reading them, in the order they were written.
Joyceanne
I really liked the first one so, I order the second book in the series. The story was slow and predictable. I was very disappointed,And
Rick
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Can all of these seemingly unrelated incidents really have a connection with each other? How does Father John get himself into such dire straits? Good page turner.
Janice
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy this series and will continue to read the rest. The characters of Fr. O'Malley and Vicky, the Wind River setting, and the Arapaho culture are fascinating.
  • The Shaman Sings (Charlie Moon, #1)
  • Spirit Sickness
  • People of Darkness (Leaphorn & Chee, #4)
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • Death, Guns, and Sticky Buns (Tori Miracle, #3)
Margaret Coel is the New York Times bestselling, award-winning author of the acclaimed novels featuring Father John O'Malley and Vicky Holden, as well as several works of nonfiction. Originally a historian by trade, she is considered an expert on the Arapaho Indians.

Wind River Reservation (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1)
  • The Dream Stalker (Wind River Reservation, #3)
  • The Story Teller (Wind River Reservation, #4)
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • The Spirit Woman (Wind River Reservation, #6)
  • The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)
  • The Shadow Dancer (Wind River Reservation, #8)
  • Killing Raven (Wind River Reservation, #9)
  • Wife of Moon (Wind River Reservation, #10)
  • Eye of the Wolf (Wind River Reservation, #11)