Start by marking “Catch A Falling Star” as Want to Read:
Catch A Falling Star

Catch A Falling Star

A hundred thousand years from now, Creohan the scholar discovers a star approaching Earth on a deadly collision course. if he can arouse everyone to the danger, there might be time enough to save the world.

But the Earth had become a strange and kaleidoscopic place in that distant era. Too many empires had risen and fallen—humans has become too apathetic, too self-centered
Published February 1977 by Ace (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Catch A Falling Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catch A Falling Star

Start your review of Catch A Falling Star
Derek
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dying-earth
Three stars is a bit generous, perhaps. A "dying earth" style tale in spirit, where humanity itself is primarily at the end, inward-turned and decadent, embracing strange obsessions or sensuous pleasures after a hundred thousand years and multiple rising and falling of various civilizations, none of which aspired to any great achievement.

It starts with elements of Moorcock's Dancers at the End of Time series, where the pleasure-seeking society is cared for by organic mechanisms devised in
Elena Druță
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Să prinzi o stea căzătoare este o aventură cu nuanțe de distopie, amplasată într-o lume fantastică, dar încă apropiată de realitate, cu personaje ce caută răspunsuri și găsesc mai mult de atât.
Continuarea pe blog.
Ubik 2.0
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
aggiornamento vecchio libro letto chissà quando
Claudiu
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I find that I may be treating this book a bit harshly. I did enjoy it, more towards the end than at any other point. The setting was interesting, the characters were all pleasant and the concept was sound.

But the writing...
The writing killed my enjoyment of this. Overly grandiose, overly preachy, overly excited...it simply got me eye rolling so often that it made the whole thing unbearable at times.
It may be due to the translation that I had.
It may just be due to the fact that it resembled a
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sf
review of
John Brunner's Catch a Falling Star
- by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - September 3, 2014

I think I've been somewhat resistant to labeling John Brunner a Fantasy Writer b/c I prefer the Science Fiction genre but this bk has convinced me he's a Science Fiction & Fantasy Writer b/c it's yet-another reasonably major work of his along those lines.. - although, "those lines" are pretty ambiguous & this cd really also be called SF. Whatever.

Alas, as w/ so many Brunners I've been
Kent
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This book started out seeming to be without any direction, but it turned out pretty good. It's a novel of a journey of a man and a woman who are searching for a society that would have the intellect and mental disposition to help stop a star coming toward Earth, which would hit in 300 years. This takes place 100,000 years in the future where humans have become very self-absorbed and defunct of any scientific interests after the rise and fall of countless empires. Their journey takes them to ...more
Tony
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The strangest Brunner novel I've read to date, though quite interesting and with compelling characters.
Radu Harabula
O căutare mesianica, hai sa salvam Pământul de ciocnirea cu o stea... Nu știm cum, cu ce, cu cine, dar cautam.
Într-un viitor îndepărtat, la 2 milioane de ani după apariția lui homo sapiens, după multe cicluri civilizaționale, omenirea și-a pierdut vigoarea, și-a epuizat forța creatoare, pare ca a ajuns la sfârșit.
Multe modificări genetice pe partea de vegetal (casele sunt un fel de urmase a unor plante, cu oarecare inteligenta, care își apară stăpânul) și animal (pasări fluorescente care
Jennifer Graham
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this little book in my early teens, back in the 70's and I have kept the paperback in my collection over the years. It's magical, wonderful story captured my imagination as no other since, and though it now seems somewhat simplistic given the time it was written, it still holds a special magic and will remain in my library for many more years to come. I have read this book several times, and each time is as amazing to me as the first.
Florin Constantinescu
Generic science fantasy novel.
While the writing style is okay, there is absolutely nothing to write home to mama about here.
No out of the ordinary character or plot twists.
John
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grade C. Orig. "The Hundredth Millennium".
Evert Eliasson
Jul 27, 2012
Cornelia Alexandra
Mar 06, 2013
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Strange book. Rewritten version of novel published earlier as part of Ace double and earlier still in magazine form. Evocative Dying-Earth atmosphere & visionary power, but some of the writing is way over the top (like the opening line!). Nice twist right at the end.
George Barjoveanu
May 13, 2016
Lili
Nov 29, 2012
Ionela Matei
rated it did not like it
May 13, 2016
Ira
Jul 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Virus
  • Whispers of the Dead (David Hunter, #3)
  • All This Could Be Yours
  • Mistica rugăciunii și a revolverului: viața lui Corneliu Zelea Codreanu
  • The Luminaries
  • Timpul ce ni s-a dat: memorii, 1944–1959
  • Evadarea imposibilă
  • La început a fost sfârșitul
  • The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival
  • The Back Channel: A Memoir of American Diplomacy and the Case for Its Renewal
  • Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food
  • The Water Knife
John Brunner was born in Preston Crowmarsh, near Wallingford in Oxfordshire, and went to school at St Andrew's Prep School, Pangbourne, then to Cheltenham College. He wrote his first novel, Galactic Storm, at 17, and published it under the pen-name Gill Hunt, but he did not start writing full-time until 1958. He served as an officer in the Royal Air Force from 1953 to 1955, and married Marjorie ...more