Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation ” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation

The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation (The Berenstain Bears)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  1,730 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
The family getaway is a disaster: the cabin's roof leaks, the lake is muddy, and the mosquitoes are ravenous. But when the bears return home and develop their snapshots, they laugh and laugh, fully enjoying the worst vacation they've ever had!
Published March 11th 1989 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation

Andrew Stockle
The Berenstain Bears return in, “The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation.” As the book begins Papa Bear has a fantastic idea, or so it seems, to go to a cabin in the woods and live off the land. The events that unfold illustrate how awful this idea really was. From bad stew to sleepless nights, the Berenstain bears have an awful time. However, this experience turns out not to be so bad. After the bears return home they are able to look back on their horrible vacation and all the memories they ...more
Family vacation: it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Join the Berenstain Bears on their disastrous family vacation- these Bears weren't meant to rough it!
Tracy Poff
The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation is a fun little story about how the Berenstain Bears' worst vacation ever was still a lot of fun–at least, after it was over!

This is, I have decided, the best of the modern books (of those I've read). I say modern, but of course this was published in 1989–22 years ago as of this writing. This one tells a fun story, with plenty of amusing events, and a double lesson: that, sometimes, home is the place you most want to be; and that there is always some go
Elise Cohen
"A Berenstain Bears classic, one of the their best. The family goes on a vacation which Papa Bear expects to be rustic and fulfilling, while Mama a little more wisely expects to be challenging, if rewarding. When the berries turn sour, the cabin turns out to be filled with mice and leaves, the rowboat has a hole, and the wilderness stew is inedible, the Bears give up, return home, and then laugh at their memories and photos of just how ridiculous the whole situation turned out to be."
Rosa Cline
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, 2016
This was a nice Berenstain Bear book, as a family they went to a vacation that (as usual) commercials and ads made it look like it was going to be a great place to go. But was totally opposite; and with their family camera between Mama and Papa bear they documented the entire "worse" vacation ever...but they have the pictures to look back upon for years to enjoy and laugh about it.
Stef
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I remember having a lot of fun reading this as a kid and studying the Bear Family's miserable surroundings as they go camping in the wilderness and live off the land. They're optimistic and funny in spite of their situation though, and in the end, they have a great time laughing about what awfulness they endured.
Miri
The bear family is ready for a vacation, but nothing goes as planned. There are mosquitoes, there is mud, a leaky roof, everything than can go wrong does. The bear family gives up and goes home, but when they get back they look through their pictures and laugh and remember the vacation with a sense of humor about everything that went wrong.
Libby
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh my. My girls had large parts of this memorized, especially any page that included, "'Click!' went the camera." It is a funny installment of the Berenstain Bears, and while it's not my favorite (it's one where Papa comes off not too well), I enjoyed reading it (over and over) with the kiddos.
Sarah Winters
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book. I felt they were interesting and really told the story in itself. This would be a great book to practice stamina with more advanced reading and practice reading pictures with younger students. Recommended for kindergarten to fourth grade.
Sarah King
The Bear's vacation isn't going as planned: their cabin is leaky, the lake is muddy, and there are too many bugs! But, when they start going through the photos of the worst vacation ever, they realize that they did have some fun after all.
chucklesthescot
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, children
Papa Bear has the great idea of renting a log cabin in the wilderness for a quiet, roughing-it vacation for the family, away from all the luxuries of home. But the cabin is not as it was described in the brochure and the holiday is not the fun vacation that they had planned.
D'Anne
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
This is pretty run of the mill Berenstain, but I like this book more than many of the others if only because my son and I laughed a lot while reading it, in large part to him hearing the term "patooey" (as in "to spit something out because it is gross") for the first time and cracking up.
Clint Roberts
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am proud to say the Berenstain Bear series is the books I first read as a child. Now I am collecting them and reading them to my children. The story "Too Much Vacation" is a great story about how a vacation can go wrong and yet turn out to be the most remediable vacation of all.
Nick
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
We took this one on vacation with us this year as well. My favorite Berenstain Bear books are usually the ones where Papa gets his mind set on one thing and makes himself look like a complete fool while trying to accomplish it. Too Much Vacation may be the best example of this story trope to date.
Steve
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love reading the Berenstain Bears books to my children. Each and every one of them sends a positive message. What I like about this one is it identifies how important and special home is.
Carrie
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
5 year old says: they went on a very bad vacation. They got gloppy things and yucky stuff and got all sad also
Kathy Ellen Davis
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Hilarious!
Another great Berenstain book.
I love the taking of the pictures during the story,
and getting to see them at the end.
Tricia
A
Rebecca
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This book is just hilarious. I'm not a fan of "roughing it" on vacation and neither are the bears. I simply adore that they took photos and make an album to look back on. Perfect!
Donna
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Don't we all have vacations like this sometime - vacations that really make you appreciate home!
Heather
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I used to read these with my parents all the bloody time! Most of them were so loved that they had all fallen apart.
Frieda Vizel
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the only English language books we owned. I adored this book and it will always hold a special place in my heart.
Joy
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Can a bear's vacation
with more rain than sun
end up being
the one that's most fun?

The Bear Family goes on a vacation that ends up being disastrous.
Rachelolivia
Jun 02, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
II
Jaime
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
We love all berenstain bear books!
Lola Nicola
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!
Dimps
Feb 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
One of my childhood favorites. :)
Sally
I think I've always loved dreadful vacation stories! This one was always a favourite :)
Brooke
Feb 14, 2010 added it
The bears take a vacation where it rains most of the time. At first this seems to ruin the vacation, but soon the bears realize there are many fun things to do inside.
  • The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks
  • Just Shopping With Mom (Little Critter) (Pictureback(R))
  • Clifford's Tricks (Clifford)
  • Arthur's Family Vacation (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • I Spy Treasure Hunt: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • Sand Cake
  • Mr. Pine's Purple House
  • Froggy Bakes a Cake
  • The Three Billy Goats Gruff
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark