Start by marking “The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)

The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash #2)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  264 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The key to a beautiful woman's tragic death is locked in a dog's broken heart.

P.I. Rachel Alexander is stepping into a dead woman's life. Hired by the young t'ai chi teacher's grieving parents, Rachel is determined to find out why their apparently happy daughter jumped from the window of her Greenwich Village martial arts studio. Wearing Lisa's clothes, studying with her m
Published September 8th 1998 by Dell (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Who Knew Too Much, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Who Knew Too Much

C.J. Prince
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I picked up the first three books in this series at Half Price Books in Seattle, one of my favorite stops. The first book offered some character disappointments but in book two, I found P.I. Rachel Alexander had found her niche.

As she researches the murder of a dead woman, she assumes her identity, wearing her clothes, perfume, scarf and begins to study Tai Chi. She is an incredibly fast learner in the ancient Chinese martial art (my personal observation) and becomes the favored student as was
Shomeret
I wanted to read it for the Tai Chi content which was mildly interesting to me. It was being taught from a Zen Buddhist perspective. As I understand it, Tai Chi is Taoist which is far more ancient than Buddhism. Someone who is interested in the melding of Tai Chi and Zen Buddhism might rate this book more highly than I did.

Based on the title and the fact that the author is a dog trainer, I expected the book to be more centrally about dogs than it turned out to be. So I can't recommend it to peop
Devi
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first book in the series. Often seemed the author was trying to make the story more complicated than it needed to be.
Donna
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2017
I'm liking this series but not loving it yet. The dog aspect is understated which I like. Dash is just a dog--he doesn't talk, doesn't detect on his own--he's a companion. The plot was good but the tai chi angle was a bit overdone. The oddest part to me and what knocked it down one star was Rachel wearing the victim's clothing and jewelry and sleeping in her bed--just weird and creepy and unnecessary. I'm in for the next book though.
Gaenolee
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Great Female NYC mystery

I thoroughly enjoyed this, as a woman married to a N'Yawkah, as a Tai Chi teacher, and as a big mystery lover. My main quibble is as to WHICH version of Tai Chi they were doing.
Lois Johnson
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

Wow. This was my first book of Ms. Benjamin but certainly not my last. Carol Lea has the ability to draw you into the story. I felt as if I were actually there. Excellent author.
Jan C
Jan 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, animal
I enjoy this series but the cut of the book was really irritating. I felt that there were bad margins and the print went too close to the edge of the page and I think some pages may have started to come loose. I know it is a paperback but still, there should be some standards.

Rachel uses her pit bull Dashiell in her private detective work. And I have to say I would like to see a pit bull (or any other dog, for that matter) bring me a Kleenex, a trick he repeatedly performs in this book.

Here, n
Roberta
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Oddly reminds me of Agatha Cristie's Miss Marple books in the way that Miss Marple didn't really "detect" so much as she went around poking her nose into other people's business like picking at a scab until it starts bleeding. The other similarity is that in many Miss Marple books there are so many good suspects that I can't always remember a week later who ultimately turned out to be the murderer.

The gimmick in this series is that Rachel Alexander's assistant is Dash, an American pit bull. Wha
Phillis
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book 2 in the Rachel Alexander and Dash Mysteries. I enjoyed the first one. I don't feel this was as good. But it is a second book and I won't judge the author yet. I still have a few more Rachel and Dash books to read. This storyline is about a well to do, have everything, and knows where she is going young woman who supposedly commits suicide by defenestration. Her family hire Rachel to find out what really happened. Racel litterally puts herself in the girls shoes to see if she really ...more
Snap
I almost gave this book 4 stars. Really enjoyed this one. I'm also having a good time searching for these books. Rachel is hired by a couple to find out why their intelligent, beautiful daughter studying to be a Zen priest, committed suicide. Rachel resembles Lisa (the dead girl) and she walks into Lisa's life ... wearing her clothes, living in her apartment, taking Tai-Chi, getting to know all of the people in Lisa's life. Was Lisa's death an accident, suicide or murder?
Margaret
Jul 29, 2011 added it
Shelves: 2009
First time reading this series - not bad but not great, so not sure if I'd read any others. This detective's approach kind of seemed to be detection by becoming the murdered victim, which oddly others did not question. Found it unlikely that her dog would be so readily accepted everywhere although I thought his playful habit of pulling kleenexes out of the box was endearing (and helpful at one point to her). Kind of liked the somewhat mystical t'ai chi angle to the story.
Kathleen O'Nan
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
My first book of 2016 was this fun read. This is the 2nd in the series featuring P.I. Rachel Alexander and her "partner," the pit bull named Dash. She does make this dog very personable as well as the Akita that is featured in this particular tale. Decent story, decent detecting. I'll continue with the series.
Shawn Zegular
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read I love how she uses a pitbull in her novels awsome
Leslie Angel
May 05, 2010 rated it liked it
fairly good, kept my interest. Dog appears but does not talk or solve the mystery. takes place in and around a tai chi center.
Julia K. Lawrence
Tai Chi and Murder

I love a challenging mystery with multiple suspects. But more than that I love a story including a dog as an integral character.
Jan
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Maybe it was comparing Zen and dog training or definitely the wearing of the victim's clothing and jewelry...., but I just couldn't get into this one. The flashes of sass were partially redeeming.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
lots of suspects, kept tension well, good char.
Heywu
Jun 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Another fun book
Karen-Leigh
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cosy-mysteries
Rachel and Dash are special.
Marianne McKiernan
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the Chet & Bernie mysteries.
John Stewart
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book if you like dogs and murder mysteries.
Teesa
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-series
Can't go wrong, a strong woman doing a man's job and a terrier, what's not to like.
Rosie
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Love the story of a detective and a pit bull. Want to read more of this series.
Kathy
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first in the series but I will get the next one and hope it is better than this one. This book was okay just not great in my opinion.
Doreen
Jul 02, 2017
Aurora
Dec 01, 2016
  • Ten Little Bloodhounds
  • Ruffly Speaking (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)
  • Rapid Fire (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #2)
A noted dog trainer and former detective, Carol Lea Benjamin is the author of books on canine behavior and training as well as the Rachel Alexander and Dash mystery series. She has been honored by the International Association of Canine Professionals with her election to their Hall of Fame. Ms. Benjamin lives in Greenwich Village with her husband and their dogs.
More about Carol Lea Benjamin...

Rachel Alexander & Dash (9 books)
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • A Hell of a Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #3)
  • Lady Vanishes (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #4)
  • The Wrong Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash #5)
  • The Long Good Boy (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #6)
  • Fall Guy (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #7)
  • Without a Word (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #8)
  • The Hard Way (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #9)