Start by marking “Child of Satan, Child of God” as Want to Read:
Child of Satan, Child of God

Child of Satan, Child of God

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  359 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
The day Susan Atkins met Charles Manson she felt she had met the world's savior. Here is her personal account of life and death with the murderous Manson 'family.' Condemned to die, rejected by society, she found life on death row - a miraculous rebirth as real as resurrection.
Published January 1st 1977 by Bridge-Logos

Rob Roy
Aug 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Gee, I'm really a nice person who got into the wrong crowd and stabbed a pregnant woman to death. Since I've become a Christian, I should be forgiven.
The Queen of Your Dreams!
Finally Charles Manson died 20.11.17. May he not rest in peace....
Robin
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
i almost puked while i read this. so what if i was on a greyhound bus and had a two hour lay-over in albany... parts of this book made me ill. although, i would recommend it for a couple of reasons: if you're into true crime, this is one of the most infamous crimes of our century, and it's from a female's perspective to boot.

hightlights:

1.susan's boss at a strip club invite her and the girls over to anton lavey's house to plan a special performance in which she is a vampire and has to emerge gy
Anina
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Hilarious! I am sorry, that's a mean thing to say about someone's book, when they are only trying to apologize for all the murdering and find Jesus while just recently earning a life sentence. The tone of this book is extreme feminine desperation of the 1970's style, which I enjoy immensely. It shows how far we've come. But seriously Susan...gurl you got played.
Lanell
Sep 13, 2008 rated it liked it
No one is ever beyond the reach of God.
Kerry Connelly
A real page turner and rare book to find. I'm very glad I got myself a copy.
Susan recounts her life's events & the infamous Manson murders effortlessly, detailing personal circumstances, thoughts & speaking on her participation in the Manson murders.
(Although she does not talk through the whole story of the murders, you can watch her appeals via you tube to get more information regarding her participation & her character within them.)

I quite appreciate her story. The parallels of go
Lee Anne
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mansoniana
This was a great addition to my Manson book collection (creepy, I know, but the story never bores me). I only wish she'd written a sequel, as I'd like to know what the last 30 years have brought. It's fascinating to have an insider's account of life in the Family, and Susan Atkins has some great stories to tell, such as filming a movie with Anton La Vey, and the surprising creepiness/banality of his big black house. Although Susan Atkins was very involved in the murders Manson orchestrated, she ...more
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was very revealing about who Susan Atkins was before the murders and how she became the person who was capable of what she did. However, this book does end on a very religious tone and talks a lot about her life that she turns over to christ, somewhat putting her in a favorable light. I'm glad I read this book, I'm always looking for different viewpoints on true crime, but Susan Atkins bookw as written just a few years after she was sentenced to life inprisonment for 7 counts ...more
Melissa Muszak
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This book had some interesting parts, for sure. There was also a lot of crap, in my opinion. But it was interesting to read about it from this perspective. I don't totally buy the walking with Jesus, born-again thing at the end. I think she very clearly downplayed her involvement. I also don't think that the lost soul thing that she claims as her reason for joining Charles Manson was either (a) very well described and/or (b) entirely true. To me, she seemed more like a petulant child with ADD.
flannery
Feb 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Stupid book, fun read, obviously written by a dude. "I was aware of my new, sexy body, could feel the men watching me as I began to gyrate around the room." Haha, yeah right. Sensationalizes all the things it sets out to condemn, like, I've never envied Charles Manson's super-Svengali powers until I read this and all of a sudden it seemed really sexy and cool. Real trashy read! Found it at my Dad's office.
christy
Dec 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bio
(i skipped the child of god portion)
Claire
Apr 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: death cult isolationists
this book is just FAB, for all the wrong reasons
Malory
Aug 18, 2012 rated it liked it
"Child of Satan, Child of God" is Sadie Mae Glutz' uncluttered entry into the curious storehouse of Mansonian literature. Atkins rhapsodizes on the psychical, crude beauty of the desert, a sprawling terrorism of sirocco hippie troupes, biker convents (Mother Superior Danny DeCarlo is, however much to the offense of historical courtesy, cheaply manumitted from the narrative, a questionable gesture on Sadie's part, and at most a signal displacement of pure epistolary facticity), watercolor toughs, ...more
Elaine De
Oct 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
*Sigh* It wasn't a Bad book, it was quite readable, and entertaining in a wierd twisted, watching a car crash" way. It's just full of so much bullshit. Ms Atkins was obviously not ready to really come clean and give the facts, and take responsibility for her actions. I only read half the book. I wasn't much interested in her conversion story.

I did learn much about the whole Manson story that I didn't know as this all took place bfore I was born. So all in all, an enjoyable read, but would not be
Rebecca King
Aug 01, 2008 rated it liked it
The author was once a Manson follower and was convicted of her roles in several deaths during Manson's "reign". It's possible she wrote this book prior to an upcoming parole hearing. Her details are interesting.
Barbara Ixba
This was certainly not an easy read. It is extremely dense and disturbing for much of the book. I enjoyed reading about how she found God. The book made it clear that God can meet anyone right where they are, and change them for the better.
Fishface
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fascinating read, taking you through the author's early life, her escape into a fairly eventful early adulthood and of course the Hinman and Tate-LaBianca murders, going from there on into "Sadie's" life on Death Row with 4 other members of the Manson Family. Never a dull page in this one.
Dara S.
Susan's life was not very good and then she fell into Charles Manson's clutches. While in prison she found Christ, so this book has some religious overtones.
Danielle
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm a big fan of true crime and autobiography, but did not really enjoy this one, even though Manson and his gang have always fascinated me. I always wonder if someone like Susan Atkins really can change. So many people on death row or in for life seem to find God. Do they really? Or maybe they're just afraid of dying with murder in their heart. It was just ok, she tries to say that she's not guilty, when she's the one who brought the whole "family" down by confessing to a fellow inmate. Susan d ...more
Lisa-Jaine
Written in the seventies, the first half of the book covers her life pre and up to meeting Manson and the family, the second half deals with her conversion to Christianity and her regrets about the crimes. She doesn't come across as a very likeable woman at all more petulant, spoiled and wild. The second half force-feeds her religion down our throats. Interesting from a Manson perspective.
Jennifer Lynn
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, owned-gave-away
I hate this woman (Susan Atkins) the last half of this book was all about how she gave her life to God and how she's a much better person because of it!!! BULLSHIT!!! She was a shitty person and I hope she rots in hell!!!
Bridget Holbert
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this one. Susan Atkns, one of the Manson girls, writes this book about her life starting with her childhood to her serving her sentence in prison. Highly recommend this book. I couldn't put it down.
John De
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good reading.
Kaylee
I had to skip the last three chapters but up until then it was a solid 4 star so that's how im rating it. I'm sure the last few chapters were good and all, but I came for murder not for Jesus.
Biprorshee Das
I have been terribly fascinated by Charles Manson, the Family, Helter Skelter, the murders and particularly, Susan Atkins in the last two years. I cannot explain why. It was with great interest I picked up this book. Not that I was expecting a masterpiece or a massive revelation but I wanted to know Sadie's story.
What began on a good note and continued to be intriguing turns out to be an eventual disappointment when everything reads just like an apology to the world at large. I am not the one t
Jodi
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
I am fascinated by this time in history - Manson and all of his followers. I'm still wondering how you can brutely murder many people and then find God? Now in real time, Susan is begging for mercy as she lays in jail dying of brain cancer. This book takes place from her childhood up until she finds God. (Written in the 70's). Not my favorite book, but it was just ok. My true feeling is, you gave up your right to have any kind of freedom in 1969. Under the power of Manson or not - everyone has a ...more
Phyllis
Shamelessly exploitative & creepy "I found Jesus" style autobiography from one of the most notorious members of the Manson Family. I don't doubt Christianity helped Susan Atkins cope with the horror of what she did under Manson's influence, but this book was so obviously just contrived to ride the Helter Skelter gravy train that it ultimately cheapens her new faith in God. Not to be cynical because I actually don't know much about the Manson case, but some of her recollections of what happen ...more
Richard
nice little text- looking at the manson family in terms of the mind cure-positive thinking religion angle and the overlap of conspiracy theory mind control stuff is kind of enlightening. William James "Varieties of R.E." was first published in 1902 so the idea that the self can be objectified and manipulated is a little older than that in america. move to the 50's+ with CIA experiments and conspiracy programming theories of manchurian candidates etc.
Aneta Jackowska-Musiol
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have
Being strangely fascinated by phenomenon of Manson family and the fact that one minute man could control dozens of young people and lead them to commit murders on his order, no doubt I found that book. And ultimately this book helped me immensely, particularly the second, vast part about transforming into God child. One might ask whether it was genuine or done just as to get a way out of prison. Fact that Susan Atkins died in prison praying God proved to me she was a true believer.
Whitney
I should have known it would turn into trying to convert "sinners" into Christians, with a title like it does. But we'll never know if it was just a rouse to get out of prison or not. Either way it never worked. I definitely take away from this to not let myself get lost in drugs and blindly trusting any man that speaks to me. It should be common sense but it seemed to blow her mind. The murders will always fascinate me, but her innocence is very debatable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • 100 Years, 100 Stories
  • Cult Insanity: A Memoir of Polygamy, Prophets, and Blood Atonement
  • The Death Shift: The True Story of Nurse Genene and the Texas Baby Murders
  • Victim: The Other Side of Murder
  • True Stories of Law & Order: Svu: The Real Crimes Behind the Best Episodes of the Hit TV Show
  • Charles Manson Now
  • Getting it Through My Thick Skull: Why I Stayed, What I Learned, and What Millions of People Involved With Sociopaths Need to Know
  • Sleep In Heavenly Peace
  • Manson: The Unholy Trail of Charles and the Family: The Unholy Trail of Charlie and the Family
  • Think No Evil: Inside the Story of the Amish Schoolhouse Shooting...and Beyond
  • Abducted
  • A Twisted Faith: A Minister's Obsession and the Murder That Destroyed a Church
Susan Denise Atkins was a convicted American murderer who was a member of the "Manson family", led by Charles Manson. Manson and his followers committed a series of nine murders at four locations in California, over a period of five weeks in the summer of 1969. Atkins, known within the Manson family as Sadie Mae Glutz, was convicted for her participation in eight of these killings, including the m ...more
More about Susan Atkins - Whitehouse

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $1.99