Start by marking “Solomon Crocodile” as Want to Read:
Solomon Crocodile

Solomon Crocodile

(Solomon)

In his swampy home, Solomon is looking for fun but nobody wants to play. The dragonflies tell him to buzz off, the storks get in a flap, and the hippo is downright huffy. But then somebody else starts making a ruckus . . . and for once it is NOT Solomon. Could it be the perfect pal for a lonely croc? Matching vibrant art with rollicking words, Scottish artist Catherine Ray ...more
Published December 20th 2011 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Solomon Crocodile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solomon Crocodile

Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

"In his swampy home, Solomon is looking for fun but nobody wants to play. The dragonflies tell him to buzz off, the storks get in a flap, and the hippo is downright huffy. But then somebody else starts making a ruckus . . . and for once it is NOT Solomon. Could it be the perfect pal for a lonely croc?"

This is one of those rare message-less books that are just beautiful fun! Part of this is the gorgeous art ... it makes Solomon the C
Danica Midlil
Throughout the story I kept waiting for Solomon to be redeemed in the eyes of his neighboring animals, but that's more sophisticated than this book gets. This is the story of the pesky little brother who just wants to play. And by "play" I mean annoy everyone else around him. Not quite what I've come to expect from Catherine Rayner, but still a pretty good book. The picutres are lively and energetic with splatters from Solomon's mischief.
Shelli
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The moral of the story is..... Annoying your fellow creatures is wrong and will not lead to party invitations or even a welcoming smile. BUT if you annoy people with someone else, like say in a small gang, then at least you can laugh while tormenting others with your fellow friend, a.k.a. accomplice.
Elisabeth
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
She is one of my new favorite illustrators and the story would be great to use for vocabulary or to demonstrate synonyms. We all know kids with a lot of energy who just needs something to do and someone to do it with. I'm glad Solomon found a friend in the end - I just wish that it wasn't a fellow stinker. Maybe he would never care - but there is a reason that no one wanted to play with "poor" Solomon. :)
Cheryl
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved Abigail so now I'm grabbing everything else by Rayner that I can find. This, too, is brilliant. I've always thought of crocodiles as ferociously aggressive predators, and they pretty much are, really. But from cover to cover, Solomon appeals to me, and I even feel that I would play with him. I absolutely love the artwork, too; it's much richer and more interesting than it may look at first. And of course the safari animals are so much cooler than the typical cats & cows found in kids ...more
Megan M
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
This is probably a two star story, but the illustrations are really beautiful and I loved how many expressions she was able to give a crocodile. However, the story is just not up to par. Basically, an annoying crocodile has chased off everyone in the jungle with his behavior. No one wants to hang out with him. So he finds another annoying crocodile and they run off to annoy the jungle creatures together. Not sure what kind of message this is trying to send exactly.
Leah
Beautiful illustrations and a simple story featuring African animals and a bit of a surprise at the ending make this one great storytime fodder. One to try!
Lucy Allison
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, ks1, animals
Despite the storyline not being particularly original, I like this storybook due to the amazing artwork used to illustrate the story. The colourful pictures are painted with watercolours, which fits well with the theme of play and the habitat of the crocodile. I would use this storybook with younger children, because it involves a lot of repetition. Younger children can learn the story through the use of actions and repetition, and provide a performance to family and friends.
Maliha Arman
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: peer-instructor
This book is very rich in vocabulary and literacy. This book has awesome large images that help them link the images with the story line. It would be helpful to have a felt board with this book and children can place what came first and what came second. This book has a lot of rhyming words as well as way to enhance your child's vocabulary.
Anita Marlin
The illustrations are lively and very nice drawing. There are some vocabularies, action words, sound words that children can learn it from this book. Also, teachers can talk about feeling and friends to children. It's a sweet, and funny story.
Maddy
This book has great illustrations and teaches children about friendship. It also has repetition and alliteration. Since it has repetition the children become more engaged because they can say those repeated lines.
Sterlande Altidor
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
This is a great picture book for children. This is definitely a fun book to read as a family. Children would love the illustrations and the stories in this book. This book has wonderful materials for parents to share with young children. I think that this book is great and wonderful for all ages.
Amy Buthelezi
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This simple book contains a humorous story line as it follows a crocodile on his quest to find someone to play with him. It introduces vocabulary words, repetition, alliteration, and onomatopoeia. I love the paintings in this book which would set the stage for a painting activity for children.
Manal Cheikh
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations,and quick story. fun for talking about synonyms, personalities, friends. I would use this storybook with young children, because it involves a lot of repetition. Younger children can learn the story through the use of actions and repetition.
Jesse
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic tongue-in-cheek humor with a satisfying ending! Solomon is causing all kinds of trouble to the annoyance of the other animals. He finally slinks away, only to discover a kindred spirit raising trouble in his stead. Now they can can cause a ruckus together!
Isobel Smith
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A lovely tale of a crocodile. A good book to read to children.
Leigh Triplett
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
A fun book about a crocodile looking for a friend to play with. It introduces a variety of new vocabulary words within the simple story line. The pictures are interesting and fun to look at.
Casandria
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Perfect for fans of No David!
Crocodiles
Chelsea
If you're looking for a cute, fast-paced book about a trouble making crocodile, then this is the book for you!

Read during Preschool Play on January 26th, 2018.
Mort
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
Funny book for children. Love the illustrations.
Desmione
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Love the story. If you keep teasing people and say unfriendly things to others they will stop playing with you. Illustrations are very colourful. I am sure kids will love it.
Dominika
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Colourful and funny book.
Roben
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh that Solomon! He loves to cause trouble. I love the illustrations and the vocabulary used in this short, fun picture book.
BrookesEducationLibrary
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
The illustrations in this picture book are gorgeous, absolutely love Solomon's paint splats!
A fun story about a cheeky crocodile causing trouble for everyone relaxing around him.
Jonathan Smith
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
Great book, love the pictures
Ten_zillions
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: peer-instructor
This is a humorous book for children. This book allows children to participate and exercise their prediction skills. It is age-appropriate. It also has pretty, colorful illustrations.
Kimberly
Cute! I used this for my Alligators & Crocodiles family storytime on 3/12/19.
Marie Arie
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very nice book of friendship and how it may feel when you dont have any. Children will love the ease of the story and great pictures and illustrations.
Mehsi
Even though I read this in Dutch, I will write the review in English. :)

I saw on the website of my library that this book is the Picture Book of 2014 and will be used for a lot of activities for little kids. So I just had to have it and immediately reserved it at my library.

Now that I have read it, I have to say, it was a wonderful book, but the ending was a bit... well anti-climatic and lame. I expected a bit more. Like a battle or them falling in love or something else, but not that. Maybe tha
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook, fiction
I picked this one up based on the illustrations- some of the spreads are absolutely gorgeous and the little touches of gold on the cover are quite attractive. The speckled enthusiasm of the several-colored dots over the richly dark and unpredictable outlines against the watercolor washed backgrounds is just great. However, some of the spreads have a better balance and sense of emotion/amusement/whimsy than others, something that is perhaps necessary to the pacing of this relatively very simple s ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• One-Dog Canoe
  • Mr. Wolf's Pancakes
  • Barry the Fish with Fingers
  • The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water
  • Worms for Lunch?
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • What Animals Really Like
  • What To Do If an Elephant Stands On Your Foot
  • Silly Doggy!
  • Millie Waits for the Mail
  • Say Hello!
  • Big Smelly Bear
  • Big Frog Can't Fit In: A pop out book
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella, #1)
  • Tuck Me In!