Start by marking “Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment” as Want to Read:
Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment

Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  273 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
        The quest for enlightenment has occupied mankind for millennia. And from the depictions we’ve seen—monks sitting on meditation cushions, nuns kneeling in prayer, shamans communing with the universe—it seems that this elusive state is reserved for a chosen few. But now, neuroscientist David Perlmutter and medical anthropologist and shaman Alberto Villoldo have come ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2011 by Hay House (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Power Up Your Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Power Up Your Brain

Marita
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing I have always appreciated about Alberto Villoldo is his no-nonsense, here's exactly how to do it directions. This is my first introduction to David Perlmutter, and I am impressed with him as well. I am very annoyed with authors who tell you about the great healing and enlightenment you can achieve at their workshops, but who could tell you what you need to know to do it on your own as well. It is true that David Perlmutter points you to a website where he is selling dietary supplements ...more
Teal Chimblo Fyrberg
Fantastic book. Neuroscience and shamanistic wisdom meet to produce a program for brain health and true joy and contentment in our lives.
Andrea Marley
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Okay, where to start. Lets see. I know there are powerful shamans, i'm just not sure they can truly exist in our Western world.
That is not to say, that one cannot attain enlightenment in our culture.
Enlightenment does not mean being happy all the time, it means a sort of understanding i guess, a deep love and compassion.
I am enjoying all of Alberto Villodo's books. His first book 'Shaman, Healer, Sage' was a mind warm-up to to the education I was about to receive. His books reinforces many of
Kathryn Mattern
I learned a lot from reading this book and I found it enjoyable to read. I used to be very interested in the brain, nerves, and the senses. As an acupuncturist I was aware that we don't really have effective ways to treat damaged nerves, eg in cases like multiple sclerosis, or traumatic nerve injuries - so this book made me feel optimistic that in the future people with these kinds of illnesses and injuries will be helped. I enjoyed the shamanic exercises. I've done some variations on these exer ...more
Barney
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am with Guillermo on this one. It provides some insights on maintaining brain health and how we don't have to be resigned to our brains slowing down as we get older. I like that it pairs a scientific approach teaming a Neurologist with a Shaman to mix a clear and compelling description of with happening neurologically with spiritual practices that help awaken the brain. The book provides a routine of exercises and supplements to help us awaken. It is a worthwhile read.
Zemirah
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ideas for strengthening your brain. Science plus Shamanism. Perfect fit.
Suesie
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book! Not for the average reader, looking for nice, light fiction or romance. This book discusses issues & healing of the human brain, in ways that were a bit unconventional, when this book was written.
Sandra
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
...the book that should have been a long article. I feel the authors stretched their material and repeated it in various ways to fill a book. Strange bedfellows, neuroscientist David Perlmutter and medical anthropologist and shaman Alberto Villoldo didn't seem to me to contribute equally. I thought Villoldo's contribution, though it could have been substantive, was somewhat light. Like I said, it could have been a magazine article. That said, parts of it were interesting and enlightening.
GONZA
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really find a little bit difficult and it's my fault, to mix neuroscience with sciamanesim. So that's the reason why I didn't particulary appreciate this book that in any case is well written and interesting. I do not dobut that there are many interesting thins in chakra, light being and many other things, it's only that sometimes I couldn't appreciate all that stuff because I have not enough faith.
THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND HAY HOUSE FOR THE PREVIEW
Diana
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neurogenesis and Shamanism. I was a tad turned off by the latter. However, for all I know there may be something to it. Dr. Perlmutter provides information on supplements to help the aging brain. Of particular interest was his suggestion that one should fast once a month although in his previous book which I just read "The Grain Brain" I believe he suggests once a week.
Cheryl
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting book. I wanted to read this after i read a review. I am reading books to try to help my son with his anxiety and depression and this has certainly given me food for thought. Would definitely recommend this.
Virginia Bryant
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read, this. book.

invalable info on nutrition and a good acknowledgement by a famous main stream Dr of spirituality's importance for health, and direct instructions from a dr and shaman on spirit healing processes.
Matt
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book!! Great insight into how God has been changing our brains over the years. Very suprised how closely some of Jesus teachings line up with Dr. Perlmutter suggestions for enlightenment...mainly meditation, forgiveness and self-less love toward our fellow man.
Josh
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My take-away points: meditate & sleep.

Biology about mitochondrial energy production--reviving your get-up-and-go spark--is reviewed along with a step-by-step plan to make lifestyle enhancing changes.
Olena
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We are what we eat. We became what we think about.
This book teaches how to live and eat in a way to provide our brain with the optimal food that support its function and move individual one steps closer to enlightenment.
Jón Ágúst
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the information in the book and it is useful to me.
Feb 07, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Very interested in reading this book after hearing the author talk with George Noory last night!
Adam Crafter
Nov 06, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
More entertainment than enlightenment do far....
Misha Fredericks
Excellent. I started taking the DHA, NAC, and Nrf2 Activator. Looking forward to applying what I learned to improve my brain and body health.
Charlly
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. The authors combined neuroscience and shamanistic knowledge/wisdom together. Very interesting relationship.
Tarek Al
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is nice that this book alternates the writings of a brain surgeon and a shaman, with an applicable guide to how to apply their approach.
Josh
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The spiritual aspects do not fit with me, but the information on upgrading mitochondrial health, neuroplasticity and neurogenesis was excellent.
James Davis
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting look at the intersection of Shamanism and Neuroscience. Co-written by a Anthropologist/Shaman and a medical doctor. Has a six week plan for obtaining optimum brain health.
Claude
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has anyone tried algae based DHA? Or glutathione? How about hyperbarbic oxygen? Let me know what your experiences with these things were if you have tried them. Thanks.
Memo
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Memo by: gasngasn@yahoo.com
Not so much a great read, but great content.
Brenda McCarty
Aug 16, 2015
Annie Wehrli
Dec 30, 2016
Michal Palczewski
rated it did not like it
May 31, 2014
John Banner
Feb 07, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Hearing from anyone who tried the program in the book 1 3 Jan 09, 2015 06:05PM
  • The Spiritual Brain: A Neuroscientist's Case for the Existence of the Soul
  • The "God" Part of the Brain: A Scientific Interpretation of Human Spirituality and God
  • Dreaming: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012
  • The 2012 Story: The Myths, Fallacies, and Truth Behind the Most Intriguing Date in History
  • Pagan Christmas: The Plants, Spirits, and Rituals at the Origins of Yuletide
  • Autism: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Four Insights: Wisdom, Power, and Grace of the Earthkeepers
  • 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life
  • Emotion: The Science of Sentiment
  • Finding Atlantis: A True Story of Genius, Madness, and an Extraordinary Quest for a Lost World
  • Real-Life X-Files: Investigating the Paranormal
  • The Inner History of Devices
  • Wider Than the Sky: The Phenomenal Gift of Consciousness
David Perlmutter, MD, is a board-certified neurologist, the president of the Perlmutter Health Center in Naples, Florida, cofounder and president of the Perlmutter Brain Foundation, and a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition. He is the recipient of numerous awards, including the Humanitarian of the Year Award from the American College of Nutrition and the Linus Pauling Award. He serves on t ...more
More about David Perlmutter...

“networks, in your brain. He remarked, “Experience coupled with attention leads to physical changes in the structure and future functioning of the nervous system. This leaves us with a clear physiological fact . . . moment by moment we choose and sculpt how our ever-changing minds will work, we choose who we will be the next moment in a very real sense, and these choices are left embossed in physical form on our material selves.”2” 2 likes
“Our protocols utilize intravenous glutathione and hyperbaric oxygen to optimize mitochondrial function as well as foods and supplements that help undo the damage done to the brain by years of stressful living. We find that mitochondria, the mind, and the brain respond extraordinarily quickly to these interventions. Then, through shamanic meditation practices, we can heal from toxic emotions and discover inner peace.” 0 likes