Start by marking “Once Upon a Crime” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Crime

Once Upon a Crime

(The Sisters Grimm #4)

Sabrina and Daphne's adventures continue in their hometown of New York City as they bring Puck to Faerie to cure the wounds. With the help of Granny Relda, the girls must figure out who killed Puck's father, King Oberon, while navigating the warring factions of Everafters that make their homes in every neighbourhood of New York City.
Published May 1st 2007 by Amulet Harry N. Abrams La Martinière Groups

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Crime, please sign up.
Annie I understand your feelings towards Sabrina. She is arrogant, selfish, and self-righteous, and is bigoted towards her fairy-tale town for a long time b…moreI understand your feelings towards Sabrina. She is arrogant, selfish, and self-righteous, and is bigoted towards her fairy-tale town for a long time because of the pain they brought upon her and her family. However, I do think Sabrina improves, however slowly, throughout the books. She begins to realize the good that the characters have done and continue to do for her, and also realizes she needs to be kinder and more understanding. Sabrina still has fits of her bad qualities, but it makes her more real. I wouldn't stop reading the series because of her annoying qualities, however, because the series is awesome and Sabrina does realize her selfish nature and attempts to fix it. What I remember is that all of her bad qualities come from fear and a need to protect her family, which makes sense. Sorry that this was so long!(less)

Start your review of Once Upon a Crime
Bridgette Redman
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Sisters Grimm never fails to amuse because of the way it takes famous fairy-related literature and puts a modern twist on them. Far more than the overall plot or even the themes, it is the little moments in these books that make them worthy reads.

Once Upon a Crime is the fourth adventure of Sabrina and Daphne Grimm, two children who late discovered their family heritage as the jailer and protector of fairy tale creatures known as Everafters. After spending months in an orphanage and one lou
Alison
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
3.5 STARS
Not my favorite in the series since there were a lot of characters just thrown in but this was probably the most action packed and took me a little by surprise at the end. This series is just so fun!
Katy
Dec 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The Sisters Grimm series are my audiobook standbys. The narrator is fantastic and these are perfect for long drives in the car. The series is about two young girls, Daphne and Sabrina, who, after the disappearance of their parents and a year spent jumping from one wretched foster home to another, go to live with the grandmother they never knew they had in Fairyport Landing. The Grimm sisters find out that they are the descendants of the famed Brothers Grimm, who brought the fairy tale creatures ...more
Catherine
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
"What are you looking at?" the gingerbread man said to her. "Didn't anyone tell you it's rude to stare?"

For once, Sabrina fumbled for words.

"She's sorry," Daphne offered. "It's not every day you get to talk to a cookie, you know."

The gingerbread man's brown body suddenly turned red and his icing face crinkled in anger. "Hey! Cookies are round, buster. Do I look like I'm round?"

"Sorry," Daphne said, "I didn't mean---"

"That kind of ignorance is why gingerbread people are treated so badly all over
sj
I’m still a little angry because the cover of this book kind of gives away the end of the book – or, if not the end, then the climax. Based on that, it was super easy to figure out who did what to whom. [shrug] As I’ve said about these books before, they’re definitely for kids but still fun for adults. My 13y/o is totally done with the series and is kind of annoyed with me for not having finished, so that’s something I’ll have to work on catching up with soon.

Daphne, Sabrina, Granny, Mr Canis an
Justyn Rampa
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In some ways, this book definitely feels like somewhat of a departure for the series. The story focuses on a different location, there is an incredible focus on an unexpected character, and the book is about revelations that I didn't see coming.

Without going into an incredible amount of detail as to avoid spoilers, Michael Buckley continues to weave a fantastic story using characters in a very clever ways. There were some bits I didn't LOVE such as all the pirate business, but then there was suc
Sheila Beaumont
The fourth in a most entertaining fractured-fairy-tale detective series, Once Upon a Crime was a great read. In it, Sabrina and Daphne Grimm & company drive from Ferryport Landing, where most of the Everafters, or fairy-tale characters, live, to New York City, to take the ailing Puck to Faerie so he can be healed by his family (Oberon & Titania and offspring). Turns out Faerie isn't quite what it used to be. The fairy-tale detectives find thuggish fairy godfathers, characters from Oz (the Wizard ...more
Kathleen Fung
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love how Puck saves Sabrina from near death
Tobey
Apr 22, 2010 rated it liked it
While not really dropping in quality, I felt like the Sisters Grimm series lost a little steam in the fourth book. The mystery was a little more obvious, and the rhythms of the series are becoming a bit more repetitive. Sabrina is going to have an angsty personal problem (learning that her mother was all for fairy tale detecting, which isn't Sabrina's bag) that will be resolved, a mystery must be solved (a murder mystery this time, but the culprit is given away by the cover art), Mr. Canis will ...more
Kailyn Ellis
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.25/5.

Thank you, Michael Buckley, for creating this world. This is competing with Percy Jackson & The Olympians for my favorite middle-grade series, and that's saying something. And these books keep getting better and better with each one, and this one is my favorite so far - and I'm only halfway through the series. On to the next one.
Janet
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
My friend Jenne once said that all books are better with a giant robot. This book has a giant Wicked Witch robot that climbs the Empire State Building, a la King Kong. Four stars right there.

Oh, and the rest of the book is good too.
Jennifer Dai
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Choice book 4 Quarter 1

Book: The Sisters Grimm book 4 - Once Upon Twist is a fantasy book written by Michael Buckley.

Setting: This book takes place in Ferryport landing, New York.

The main characters: The main characters in the book are Sabrina, Daphne, Puck, Granny Relda, Mr Canis and last but not least Uncle Jake. Sabrina is a 12 year girl that was sent to an orphanage because her parents had mysterious disappeared and now that she is living with her grandmother (Granny Relda) she find out that
Yumiko
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cynthia Egbert
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
The Sisters Grimm books are great palate cleansers between books that are more heavy. I love the new characters from fiction that pop up with each new book in the series. It was really fun to have the Grimm family running around in New York City and the introduction of the fairy folk, with A Midsummer Night's Dream as their "true story" was a kick!

"You and Daphne should probably read this," Granny said. "It's going to tell you everything you need to know about the fairy folk."
Sabrina glanced do
C.J. Milbrandt
While seeking help from the Everafter community in NYC, the Sisters Grimm stumble into the middle of a murder investigation. Knock-knock jokes and Mother Goose. Shakespeare and Dickens. Wolves and Pigs. Fairy godfathers and fiancees.

Solid storytelling with a side of character development. Buckley continues to impress. More!
Priscilla
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-i-own
Another enjoyable book in this series
Evangeline
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just have so much love for this series. So much love. They are just as good this time as when I first read them 5 years ago. <3 ...more
Joanna (BookandPages)
This is my least favorite in the series.
Heidi Lil' Chip
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoy listening to the audiobook of these books while i color or loom because the chapters are so long that I always get interrupted in the middle if I read it.
Malia Saldaña
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-books
I always enjoy going on adventures with the Grimm sisters. As always this book was so good! I really loved that they saw the everafters in New York City. This is definitely one of my faves. I think Daphne is the cutest!
Mimi
Sep 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: older-children
I enjoyed this book. I actually guessed way early with this book who the villain would be, way earlier than I usually guess. But I didn't mind, because it is always very satisfying to learn that you are right. I'm trying really hard to guess who "G" is, but you don't have any clues other than she is female and went by the initial "G." I am trying to think of possibly fairy tale maidens. I've thought of Galinda the good witch, Gretel, Guinevere, and dang. I forgot the fourth one I thought of. I'm ...more
Jean O'Shea
Nov 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: lis565
When the fairy-tale detectives, Sabrina and Daphne Grimm, rush to New York City hoping to find an Everafter who can cure Puck, they trigger a chain of events that includes a murder mystery, and learn many new things about their mother who, along with their father, is still in an enchanted sleep. The author has created a world in which humans and fairy-tale creatures live side-by-side in an uneasy alliance. Readers, well grounded in their fairy tales, will get the most pleasure from recognizing t ...more
Syd
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews
I recently read The Sisters Grimm number 4. It was written by Micheal Buckley. It was published in 2007. There are 272 pages. This book is intended for 5th to 9th graders. The main issue is that there trying to figure out who killed Oberon king of fairies.
The setting is New York City. The main characters are Sabrina. She is scared. She has blonde hair and blue eyes. Daphne is 7 years old loves her sister.
Sabrina and Daphne journey to there home town New York City to get puck some help. While
Astra
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
They went to Scrooge (from A Christmas Carol) for help. Now he owns a shop selling magical objects and he talks to spirits for people when they need it. At one point, he says, "Ever since that business with the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future, all the spirits in the astral plane feel it's their duty to come and show me how I've ruined the holidays of everyone I know. I'll admit, I was a pain at Christmastime, but since then I've been haunted by the Ghosts of Easter, Passover, Thank ...more
Anna Mari
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: samantha, audiobooks
Sabrina is learning there was more to her mother than met the eye. Taking Puck to Faerie took on a new twist when the King was murdered. Although Sabrina wants to retire from the family business, she said she would complete this last case. From dwarves to Pirates to the Great and Terrible Oz, the story twists and turns through NYC.
Will they make our back to Fairyport Landing? Will Sabrina stay with the family business? Can they wake her parents?
DeAnne
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The books are getting progressively darker...and the main protagonists are starting to exhibit behavior that doesn't seem in character for them. (For instance, I'm not a prude by any stretch of the imagination, and perhaps I'm just remembering being 11 differently, but I'm fairly sure I didn't spend a lot of time "dreaming about my first kiss" at that age. There's also a few continuity issues that I've noticed, possibly because I'm reading them all so close together.

skokiesam
Apr 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lisa if she ever listened to me.
I just love this series. Michael Buckley is clever, and the characters are just so personable. I like the idea of the girls being descendants of the Brothers Grimm (hence, Sisters Grimm). It's just a fun and easy read. (Albeit I found two typos that I'm going to e-mail someone over there about for the reprint.)
Lisa
Mar 08, 2008 rated it liked it
The character "Puck" is such a huge part of this book which particularly struck a chord with me as I named a kitten Puck back in 1990 when I got her as a kitten (yes also named from Shakespeare's play) and sadly March 4, 2008 she passed away. So reading about the boy Puck's adventures in the book was greatly cathartic.
Lesli
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this series. I'm reading it at the same time as my 10 year old, and even though the reading level is easy for him we are both enjoying the books. He is a big fan of the author, and I think Puck and Sabrina are good reminders for me as a mom of what is going through the heads of kids my son's age.
Jessica Plowman
Jul 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorites in the series so far, I think that it is so imaginative, and I love how the relationships are developing and the story is getting a little more complex. I love Sabrina and Puck's relationship, it is just cute and entertaining!

• Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)
  • The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2)
  • An Author's Odyssey (The Land of Stories, #5)
  • Outlaws (Royal Academy Rebels, #2)
  • Zoe the Skating Fairy (Sporty Fairies, #3)
  • Charlie Bone and the Hidden King (The Children of the Red King, #5)
  • Beyond the Kingdoms (The Land of Stories, #4)
  • Flunked (Fairy Tale Reform School, #1)
  • The Revenge of Magic (The Revenge of Magic, #1)
  • Babymouse #20: Babymouse Goes for the Gold
  • The Grimm Conclusion
  • A Grimm Warning (The Land of Stories, #3)
  • Worlds Collide (The Land of Stories, #6)
  • The Happy Hollisters on a River Trip (Happy Hollisters, #2)
  • Malcolm at Midnight
  • My Brother's Keeper (My America: Virginia's Civil War Diary, #1)
  • The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
New York Times bestselling author Michael Buckley was born in Akron, Ohio. He tried his hand as a stand-up comic and lead singer for a punk rock back before attending Ohio University. After graduating with honors he moved to New York City to be an intern on the Late Show with David Letterman which led to stints developing programming for Discovery Networks, MTV, MTV Animation and Klasky Csupo (pro ...more

The Sisters Grimm (9 books)
  • The Fairy-Tale Detectives
  • The Unusual Suspects
  • The Problem Child
  • Magic and Other Misdemeanors
  • Tales From the Hood
  • The Everafter War
  • The Inside Story
  • The Council of Mirrors (The Sisters Grimm, #9)

News & Interviews

“When did you suddenly become Mister Maturity?” 78 likes
“Are you familiar with that play?
In fact, we're almost living it!”
38 likes