Start by marking “Big Sister, Little Sister” as Want to Read:
Big Sister, Little Sister

Big Sister, Little Sister

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  318 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
The Big one gets new clothes.
The Little one gets hand-me-downs.
The Big one does everything first.
The Little one is always catching up
But the little one can do some things well, and can even teach the older one a thing or two?.
Big sisters and little sisters alike will agree: this is a sassy and touching celebration of sisterhood for all ages.
Published July 27th 2005 by Disney-Hyperion (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Big Sister, Little Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Sister, Little Sister

Jose Juan
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was LeUyen Pham's first book. She is the author as well as the illustrator. I think its brilliant that LeUyen dedicated this book to her big sister! This book is a celebration of sisterhood. The story is told from the little sister's perspective. If you have a big sister or a little sister you will get a kick out of this book no matter what age you are. If you are older, It is sure to bring back memories of what it was like growing up with a sister. Pham used bold, black brushstrokes. The c ...more
Mary Ann
Local illustrator Pham dedicates this funny, touching story to her big sister. With spunk and a bit of cheekiness, a little sister tells about the facts of life. “I’m the little sister. I’m always catching up.” But a big sister can really help, whether it’s calming fears or telling good stories, Pham’s joyful, expressive illustrations show the caring bond that connects these two spirited sisters.
Becky
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: In this family, we have two sisters. She's the Big Sister. I'm the Little Sister. The Big Sister usually does things first. I'm the Little Sister. I'm always catching up.

Premise/plot: Who has it better? The Big Sister or the Little Sister?! Pham celebrates both roles really well, in my opinion. (I'm a LITTLE sister). I could see myself--and my sister--in this one.

My thoughts: I love, love, love, LOVE this one. I was very happy for the chance to read it again. I love the writing
Amy
Sep 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A very sweet book about life as a little sister...the ups and downs and frustrations. The complete irritation and admiration you have for a big sister. It captures perfectly the complicated and beautiful relationship between sisters. The illustrations are beautiful! Great book for girls...especially sisters.
Romelle
I enjoyed the compare and contrast story arc of BIG SISTER, LITTLE SISTER by LeUyen Pham. It pokes fun of the reality of sibling relationship and their differences. Yet, it is fun-loving and endearing. This would make a great gift for a little sister, struggling as the youngest or for a big sister tired of being the patient one. It sheds new light on their roles that encourages and excites.
Melissa
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this book. My husband loves this book. My two daughters are fanatical about this book. It has solved many an argument in our house, seriously. The girls have taken to picking their favorite illustrations from the book & acting them out with props. I bought the book because of the beautiful illustrations, I had no idea how strongly it would resonate around here. It's fabulous.
Emily Pinson
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about the many differences between an older and younger sister. From how they act to what they're allowed to and not to do.
I really liked this book! It's very relatable to me because I am the youngest of 3 girls.
I would definitely use this in my home if I have two daughters. Defining the boundaries and roles of each daughter is important and in a way, it sets up guidelines and expectations from parents for the daughters to follow.
Hans
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book for my nieces ("new" and "old"): to celebrate them becoming big sister and little sister.
Lauren Barber
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The main character is the little sister. The story is told from the little sister’s perspective of her and her big sister’s relationship. She compares their roles, how her big sister does things before her, gets special privileges, gets to put on lipstick. This gives good insight of how younger sisters view their older siblings as role models, with a healthy amount of jealousy involved. This would be a great book to read to my own kids, to illustrate the dynamic of a big/little sibling relations ...more
Natalie
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story is about a little sister and her big sister. The big sister tends to do everything first and gets all the new clothes. While the little sister is always catching up and getting the hand me downs. The big sister acts older and watches out for the little sister. The little sister does not think she needs to be watched, most of the time. The little sister thinks the big sister is great, but she will never be better at being a little sister. I thought this was a great story and loved the ...more
°☆.。.:*・Arianna°☆.。.:*・
I found this story to be so cute and relatable. Many people can relate to a story about the struggle with siblings. Some people may even see that this particular story pertains to them, having a big sister or a little sister. I found it interesting to have this in the perspective of the little sister instead of the older one, since I am an older sister. This made me see things through my sister's eyes and made me reminisce of our childhood together. This also gave the book a more child like and ...more
Kelsey
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Little sister often finds herself jealous of big sister. Big sister gets the best clothes, gets to stay up late and gets to do everything first. Sometimes, big sister takes care of little sister. Little sister knows she always be best at being a little sister. Sister siblings will appreciate the story line and identify with little sister's experiences. The text is simple and easy to read. Simple and fun illustrations accompany each sentence. The book would be appropriate for encouraging print mo ...more
Dolly
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is such a sweet tale about the relationship between an older and younger sister. The differences in their perspective is sincere and our girls could relate to the respective sister. The disparities in their experiences is all-too true, but I'm not sure that we would change it if we could. And we loved the illustrations; they are so fun and expressive. All in all, this is a great book to read with a couple of sisters!
Jackie
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I mostly like this one because of one illustration of the older sis covering her lil sis' eyes when a couple smooches on TV (which I still do to my little sister). Cute illustrations, cute story--but nothing extraordinary. (Note: this may be my big sister bias, since the book is from the POV of the little sister. but probably not.)
Julie
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: relationship
It is a cute book from the view point of a little sister. I like the illustrations with pink and light brown color scheme. It will be good to connect with children’s feelings about their siblings. This book captures well the complicated and beautiful relationship between sisters and great book for girls, especially sisters.
Life Between Coffee Spoons
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An adorable tale of a younger sister describing the roles she and her older sister play due to their birth order. Detailed enough to bring about laughter from most sisters, but generic enough to be relateable for most female siblings. Pham leaves lots of white space between her humorous illustrations that only cement this book as a classic.
Cassie
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book made me laugh!! Probably because it reminds me so much of my two girls, and my sister and myself. The pictures are what make it so funny. The girls in this story are hilarious. I don't know if it is one we could read over and over, not much of a "story" to it, but it's great for a smile and a giggle.
Cassie Houck
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is a sassy story of two sisters. It goes through the perks of being both the younger and older sibling.

I liked this book because it was funny and also very cute.

I would have this book in my class library, but I wouldn't necessarily use it for class instruction. I would definitely have it in my home, especially if I had daughters.
Rachel Coleman
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Big Sister, Little Sister" by LeUyen Pham is a very cute book about the life of a little sister. It talks about the ups and downs that big and little sisters have. The illustrations are so beautiful and this book really tells a great story. It talks about the relationship between the sisters and how having each other is a blessing. I definitely recommend reading this to your children!
Melanie
This is a story of two sisters, told by the younger one. It's the typical sister rivalry; the older one gets to stay up later, can do lots of things by herself, is neat and tidy. But there are also good things; Older sister is there to help younger sister, watch out for her and teach her things.

A good book for sisters, especially young ones.
Kristine Cook
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Kristine
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amanda
Sep 10, 2009 rated it liked it
This 'I can do anything better than you' book was a cute quick book to read. I am the youngest and have an older sister who is my best friend, now. I smiled and laughed my way through this quirky picture book as I made many personal connections. Then ending is also very cute. I could see using this book during writing workshop to inspire great comparisons in our work.
Stacey
May 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: families with two daughters
Shelves: children
I have two daughters and they LOVE this book. We received it as a gift when my second daughter was born and they just adore it. The illustrations are phenomenal and lead the reader to be almost forced to expand upon the actual written story with the listener(s). We truly enjoy this book (almost daily)!
christine
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
When the little sister wants to become so much like her big sister, the oldest sister feels pestered but is eager to help. Very much the life of sisters and the love/hate relationship. Great first reader, cute pictures.
My girls love reading this over and over. As an older sister myself, it brings back a lot of memories. Fabulous Book! I actually bought 2 copies for both my girls.
Elizabeth
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, kids
I love these illustrations, as well as Freckleface Strawberry. Cute story, and dear to my own heart!
Kixie
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having an Asian-American step-family, I loved the illustrations--so evocative of my sisters and niece! LeUyen Pham's adorable style of drawing is action-packed, but can also be gently dynamic in this sweet and funny story originally intended as a gift for her own big sister.
Katie Fitzgerald
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read at Family Story Time on 8/15/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at preschool story time on 11/28/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Casandria
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-chapter
This is one of my girls' all-time favorite books. They read it 3 times a day sometimes. Mainly, they think it's about them, and it's pretty close. The pictures are adorable and so are the descriptions of what a little sister and a big sister are like.
Heather Hawes
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can definitely relate with the story, "Big Sister, Little Sister." Growing up, I was the little sister and looked up to my big sister. I wanted to be just like her. This is a fun story for little girls who have a big sister or little sister because it is so relatable!
  • Grace for President
  • Limelight Larry
  • Mice And Beans
  • 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore
  • Kel Gilligan's Daredevil Stunt Show
LeUyen Pham is the illustrator of many books for children, including God’s Dream by Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Douglas Carlton Abrams, The Princess in Black series and Aunt Mary’s Rose by Douglas Wood. LeUyen Pham lives in California.
More about LeUyen Pham