Start by marking “These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years, #3)” as Want to Read:
These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years, #3)

These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  15,483 Ratings  ·  474 Reviews
For years, Mitford's sixtysomething rector has been happily married to his parish. Now he's also married to Cynthia, his vivacious next-door neighbor. For Father Tim, life in Mitford has never been so full of surprises. His wife is "aging" his already ancient kitchen walls, not to mention burning his draperies. The mountain boy he's learned to love as his own makes a heart ...more
Published October 4th 2005 by RiverOak Publishing (first published August 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about These High, Green Hills, please sign up.

A Yes, but before you read this one, you should skip ahead and read book 6, A Common Life. That sounds like crazy advice, however, book 6 actually goes…moreYes, but before you read this one, you should skip ahead and read book 6, A Common Life. That sounds like crazy advice, however, book 6 actually goes back in time and fills in the "wedding story" between books 2 and 3. Book 2 ends with the declaration of the banns, the intention to marry, and then all of a sudden in book 3 they are married. I felt like I missed out on the wedding story, and others must have too (or Jan Karon herself) because the short novel (magazine length) of book 6, A Common Life, fills it in as if it should rightfully be called book 3.(less)

Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I worked for years in a situation where I spent hours in driving so I often I listened to books on tape or CD.

I mentioned before that I was surprised that I got into these books. I have noted that most of the reviewers of these are women (no surprise). Had I not been desperate for something to listen to I would probably never have tried them. Yes they are Christian in content, but they don't get preachy. Yes we do follow Father Tim and his (new) wife and his shaggy dog, but they don't slump int
Sarah Grace
Lovely, as always! I have never been disappointed by Jan Karon!
Melinda
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I cannot get enough of this series. After I finish each volume, I am so eager to begin the next one. Karon's eclectic Mitford characters have definitely captured my attention and I realize that I am seriously invested in what becomes of them. I admire Karon's apt ability to keep the stock characters engaging - the story lines have remained fresh and animated and the additions of new characters are lively and anticipated. I feel like I currently truly know these people.
In this volume, I found Fan
Kelly
I'm going to write the same thing for the entire series. It's a syrupy sweet old fashioned read which does not demand anything of the reader. Many find the series feel good, and there are some sparkles of true conflict here and there, but mostly it's about the mundane daily plight of a vicar who finds love later in life and saves people - emotionally and physically.

If you like the first in the series, keep reading because you will be comforted by the characters and will want to see who is added
Dawn Teresa
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Originally posted on my blog, Read Love.

Ah, Mitford! You are such a breath of small-town fresh air!

If you are unfamiliar with the Mitford Years series, you need to start at the beginning, At Home in Mitford. These books, which follow life in a sleepy North Carolina town, are told from the point of view of Father Tim, the rector of Lord's Chapel. Much like an easy chair or an old sweater, this series is a cozy delight. You'll not find arresting intrigue, high drama, or pulse-quickening action in
Sara
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Father Tim and all his cohorts there on Mitford. I find myself loving his parishioners like they are from my own congregation, mourning when they mourn, and feeling joy for those that have triumphed! Great read.
Amy
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Enjoyed each moment of this story. After I read these books the first time, we went to North Carolina for a sabbatical. So many years later we've just planned a return trip to the Asheville area—right as I'm rereading the books. Not a coincidence:)
Debbie
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a heart warming series. It's like a nice long visit with old friends.
Chris
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, jan-karon
Janice
This is the third book in this series, and with each book I am more engaged with these characters and their stories. I have listened to the books on audio, and the reader is great at giving each different person in the story a voice that fits with the wonderful characterizations developed by the author. The setting is a small town in North Carolina, and pastor Tim Kavanaugh strives to serve all the community, whether members of his church or not; he is very much a part of their joys, sorrows, an ...more
Kellie
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Rick Boyer
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I know that a lot of people love Jan Karon... and this story was okay, as a story. But it was just way too syrupy, schmaltzy, and sentimental for me. Father Timothy Kavanaugh sounds like a nice guy; but his ministry is really a textbook recipe for severe clergy burnout. He's supposed to be a simple country parson... but in reality he's superman. And a real-life pastor wouldn't last a year doing what he does, with a smile and no complaints. I know, I know, Mitford is supposed to be a special kind ...more
Dianna
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Father Tim is married to Cynthia at last. She is moving into his home and now he has to learn about sharing space with her.

Dooley reaches a very hard decision regarding his life's journey. Father Tim has grown to love Dooley as though he were his own son.

Father Tim and his secretary Emma are introduced to the world of computers. This leads to a few laughs when they venture forward with this.

In this book we will meet new characters, or as I call them friends. One of these is Lacey
Autumn
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heather, Kathy
Sweet, humorous, and believable as always. And it's always nice to read of people who share your religious tendencies and pray for guidance, safety, and the joy of people just like you do. Mitford feels like your hometown and the characters like old friends. Karon skillfully helps us welcome new characters and say goodbye to old friends while still keeping the feel of the Mitford family. Nice to read such a good, clean book where good and normal things happen to good, decent, normal people who y ...more
E.A. Lawrence
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Another restful stay in the town of Mitford. Gotta say, when things are stressful and I feel rather depressed about life, the universe, and everything, there is nothing like a Mitford book to help me unplug.
Delores Thomas
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story completely. I have just discovered this series. Each one has a wonderful theme of faith and redemption. Father Tim quotes many inspirational songs, verses and other things. That is the main reason I enjoy these books.
Dawna
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Giving all MItford books a 5* from now on. Read them all at least 4 times. Guess I kinda like 'em!
Kathy
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Terry
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-vernie
We have definitely fallen in love with another series. Seems we have been introduced to many new friends in this wonderful little village. "The Mitford Years" is a series by Jan Karon and "These High Green Hills" is the third book. Absolutely delightful. The town, the people, the charm and the spirituality weaved through the whole story. It will fill your heart. Mitford would be a wonderful place to escape to as we face the challenges of our everyday life. How we would love to stroll down Main S ...more
Joan
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the last book I told you Father Tim had a new attractive neighbor! In book three he and
his neighbor Cynthia are now married. Father Tim's quiet life isn't so quiet any more.
Cynthia wants to redecorate the rectory, he has taken in a young boy no-one wanted, and
the biggest problem - where is Barnabas going to sleep? This book is hilarious and I
wish I could visit Mitford!
Connie
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Father Timothy Kavanaugh is now married to Cynthia and discovers the joy of having a new wife to keep him alive, young and on his toes. The Mitford series is a delightful read that has, you laughing, crying and never wanting to have to turn the last page of each book. If you need to find an escape this is the series for your summer reading.
Virma
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good installment in the series. Lots of excitement. Some loss and ended with hope. I'm excited to continue.
Christine
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5-- this was one of my favorite in the series so far. This series just feels like home.
Sherri Anderson
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the characters of Mitford. They are funny, lovable and engaging. You just want to know what are they going to do now. Though it was hard to say good bye to Miss Sadie.
Amy Proctor
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another winner!
Teri Reck
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
More in the continuing saga of Father Tim in Mitford, NC. Another sweet, beautiful tale. I am getting to know the characters so well that they seem like family members. Very enjoyable reading!!
Colette
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am loving this series! Each book is like a visit with old friends.
Tracy
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I cried when Miss Sadie died :/
Debra
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming!
Viki Sonntag
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly entertaining. The author has a deft hand in weaving together the friendships, mishaps and revelations that make up small town life. A delightful brew.
this writer 9 53 Jan 19, 2015 09:23PM
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1)
  • Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)
  • Home Song
  • Christmas at Fairacre
  • Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2)
  • Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3)
  • Hidden History (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #4)
  • Dandelions in a Jelly Jar
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Tough (The Yada Yada Prayer Group #4)
Born Janice Meredith Wilson in 1937, Jan Karon was raised on a farm near Lenoir, North Carolina. Karon knew at a very early age that she wanted to be a writer. She penned her first novel when she was 10 years old, the same year she won a short-story contest organized by the local high school. Karon married as a teenager and had a daughter, Candace.

At 18, Karon began working as a receptionist for
More about Jan Karon...

Mitford Years (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1)
  • A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2)
  • Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)
  • A New Song (Mitford Years, #5)
  • A Common Life: The Wedding Story (Mitford Years, #6)
  • In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)
  • Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8)
  • Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9)
  • Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good (Mitford Years, #10)
  • Come Rain or Come Shine (Mitford Years, #11)

“When we turn from our sin, and have the blessed forgiveness of the Almighty, then we can ask Him to run things, and let Him be in charge.” 9 likes
“RATS-IN-A-POKE!” 4 likes