Start by marking “Fall Mixed Up” as Want to Read:
Fall Mixed Up

Fall Mixed Up

"Every Septober, Every Octember, Fall fills my senses with scenes to remember." "Bears gather nuts. Geese hibernate. Squirrels fly south in big figure eights." Fall is all mixed up in this silly book from Bob Raczka! Can you find his mistakes in the words and pictures?

Fall Mixed Up is a collection of mixed-up fall images from the imagination of Bob Raczka taken
Published August 1st 2011 by Carolrhoda Books (R) (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fall Mixed Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall Mixed Up

Start your review of Fall Mixed Up
Kathy
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was right up my alley. Sometimes when I read a book I'll intentionally say something wrong to see if my kids can catch the mistake. I do this often especially when it is a book we've read multiple times. My kids love it and sometime ask me to read the book the wrong way.

In this book the pictures & words are full of mistakes. My daughter had a great time finding things that were wrong in the book.

I loved the illustrations and had fun reading it to my daughter. A great a
Donalyn
From hibernating geese to a Thanksgiving table laden with sweets, fall doesn't look like it's supposed to in this silly book about fall. Kids will love finding all of the errors in this book and discussing their favorite parts of the fall season. My favorite illustrations shows squirrels, each one tied to a red balloon, flying south for the winter. This would make a great read aloud to share alongside the scarecrow, pumpkin, and leaf books we commonly read with kids.
Sharon Tyler
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fall Mixed Up written by Bob Raczka and illustrated by Chad Cameron is a picture book due to be released on September 1 2011. The fun illustrations and rhymes within this picture book take readers through the wonders of fall, with errors that entertain and challenge readers to find them all. There are mistakes to find from the very first page when the names of the months are jumbled together, right through the last page when we can still see squirrels flying south as the author challenges us to fi ...more
KP
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fall Mixed Up by Bob Raczka is a delightfully funny children’s picture book. The cover is bright and fun and proves that, in this case, you CAN judge a book by it’s cover. While the text is simplistic enough to hold the youngest of readers’ attentions, it is also vibrant and descriptive enough to please older children. Boys and girls alike will love reading this book repeatedly while trying to find all of the “mistakes” presented throughout the book.

Chad Cameron illustrated this beautiful
Peg
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hear the word "fall" and images of brightly colored leaves, trick or treaters, rosy red apples and bright orange pumpkins, geese flying overhead and more come to mind. Not according to Raczka and Cameron, however, in this rollicking look at fall. Many popular elements of the season are turned upside down, with everything being fair game. The rhyming text leads the eye to a merry scan of the illustrations, where things are all turned around. For example, the page stating "Apples turn orange. Pump ...more
Barbara
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ncbla
There are errors galore in the rhyming text and illustrations of this book. Just about everything is mixed up with geese hibernating and bears climbing trees to gather nuts. Young readers will have fun finding everything that's wrong on the mixed up pages; one two-page spread even shows Thanksgiving being celebrated with a table laden with sweets and more sweets and no food to be found. The illustrations are cleverly rendered to support the text. My favorite one shows three children trying to si ...more
Elizabeth B
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book for fall storytime! This book includes fall, Halloween and Thanksgiving making it perfect for several times during the fall season. The rhyming is wonderful and the silly mix ups will be great for having young children talk about what the correction should be. Since many of them are easy, standard fall things (apples, bears, leaves, etc) even the youngest toddlers will be able to participate in guessing what should be happening. The illustrations are excellent, ranging fro ...more
Amanda Hoffman
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
My daughter loves this book. She loves going through and finding the mistakes. I think it would be a great book to read for the traditions of fall. You could read it before the season starts and then discover which things your kiddos were interested in the most and form some activities around them.
Emily
Great for one audience or many. Kids love to point out the things that are wrong in the book.
Brooke
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this book is mixed up
Mackenzie
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i love this book. it is funny
Abby
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
Fall Mixed Up by Rob Raczka is a short picture book all about things that take place in the fall. It has humor and is a delightful book to read, the text is not to hard and could be read to many ages even the younger ages. The story though is also very descriptive which I think could appeal to some older children as well. The things are all mixed up which makes the story more fun to read, and makes you laugh. The illustrations are also really cute and humorous because you are able to see the sil ...more
Debra
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book with many items twisted around to make funny images. The challenge is to try to straighten them out and to laugh out loud over how the mistakes makes fall very, very funny.
Morgan Stamper
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, fall
I liked this a lot but it would be hard to do for story time. This is more of a one-on-one conversation with what's wrong in this book and why it's silly.
Dodie
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It’s great for kids. Beautiful illustrations and even though the text is simple, it’s also funny. As you read this book with your kids you can have conversation about what got “mixed up” and have a good laugh.
Morgan Wylie
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-21-30
Summary: Apples turning orange, pumpkins turning red, hats woren on hands?? This is not what we know about fall, this is all mixed up! A silly and playful story about fall being not so fall like.
Evaluation: I gave this book 5 stars. The illustrations in this book were very pretty and interesting. It was a fun read, and students would enjoy this book.
Teaching point: This book could be used for teaching visualizing. Since the book is not describing fall how it really is, it allows stud
Cynthia  Gutzwiller
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a funny book, but absolutely beautiful. Made for kids 4-9 years. This is a great read anytime book. Night time reading for the rhyming and beautiful fall pictures. Day time for the checking to see what is mixed up and what it should be. It will be a read often book because the pages are full of things to see.
Here are a few of the craziness. The apples are orange and the pumpkins are red. The bears hunt nuts and the geese hibernate. Hats cover hands and gloves cover ears. Crazy Fal
Wendy
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun book that mixes up events or facts about the fall. Squirrels don't fly south for the winter, and scarecrows don't guard candy corn plants. The book is offered in a spirit of enjoyment of all things Fall, and a subtle author's dedication in the beginning of the book in a photo frame on an illustrated page: "Dedicated to every boy and girl whose favorite season is fall." At the end, the book challenges the reader to go back and find the errors in the story.
Jeanie  {coffee girl}
Fall Mixed Up would be a great read aloud on the first day of fall. I absolutely loved all of the holiday mishaps and the disordered familiarities from this time of year. My daughter and I giggled through the entire reading as we saw flying squirrels, bears gathering nuts, and geese hibernating for the winter.

After reading, I would have my students go back to each page and sort out the various discrepancies they found and then start a discussion about what really happens when Fall begins.
Angela
What a fun idea for a picture book! I could see this as a big hit with preschoolers, who will enjoy pointing out all the things that are wrong on every page. Some of the autumn imagery may require more explanations than others - most young children probably won't know what milkweed pods are, for example. But beyond that, the catchy rhyme and vivid illustrations immediately pulled me in. I can't wait to try this at storytime next week!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Raczka writes and draws fall that is filled with boo-boos. This book has an I Spy kind of fun, looking on every page for the mistakes.

“Apples turn orange.
Pumpkins turn red.
Leaves float up into
blue skies overhead.”

This might be a fun book for teachers to use with their classes. What’s wrong here?

DeA
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great fall book for toddlers and preschoolers. The story is mixed up details of things that we see and do during fall with wonderfully done illustrations that will bring a smile to both adults and children. If your looking for a fall book or a silly book for a storytime, this is a great one to pick up. Recommend to anyone with children, especially young ones learning colors and words.
Emily Northcutt
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
My 2nd grade class thought this was hilarious! Their teacher told me that they had been talking about Fall and I thought that this was a great transitional book for the time between Halloween and Thanksgiving. The students really enjoyed figuring out what was wrong with the pictures in the book and they rhyming text was also a hit. I will definitely keep this in my Autumn read-aloud repertoire.
Cat
Sep 18, 2019 added it
Just discovered this story in time for a autumn story time. I love this book! The preschoolers and 2nd graders enjoyed the story very much, as did their teacher. It's just so much fun! Kids love pointing out what's wrong with the story and they all laughed! I am suggesting it for purchase and buying a copy for myself. Too good not to enjoy during the fall. Fun for all!
Taryn Seymour
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book gets you so excited for fall, Illustrations, color scheme and all! Lots of made up words that make it fun, "septover, octember". Has everything backwards like apples turning orange and pumpkins turning red in the season! Kids think it's hilarious and like to prove it wrong! Super interactive, "go backward and find all the things that aren't right!" Kids love this book.
Siskiyou-Suzy
Pretty funny and cute. The kids liked it. I didn't really like the end pointing out that things were off -- if you didn't notice until then, you weren't really paying attention. Definitely for older 3-year-olds to 5-year-olds -- too young and it's confusing, too old and it's babyish. Didn't get a good chance to look at the art as I was reading it while holding a crying 2-year-old, but I liked it.
Morgan
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is such an entertaining and silly fall themed book! Not only does it rhyme, but it also mixes up different things about fall which would be a great way for students to use critical thinking as they try to sort it out. I think it will make the children giggle a lot, and could make for a very fun read aloud book during the fall season.
Cecilia
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would be an excellent picture book for kids that have learned the skill of noticing when things are just "slightly" wrong. So much of the humor in this book is going to be hinged on the child's level of understanding what is wrong with what is being said. If you're reading it to a child who can understand the humor in the story, this would be a ridiculously fun book to read with a child.
Jana
This funny picture book using rhyming text and crazy illustrations to help young readers develop critical thinking skills. The rhyme celebrates all the pleasures of the fall season, but there are so many mistakes. Young readers are invited to find them all. This could be a good mentor text for young writers trying to make their own crazy, mixed up narratives.
Bonnie
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Silly book about Fall being all mixed up. At the end of the story you go back through to figure what's not quite right within the story. Do scarecrows stand guard over candy corn sprouts or do wolves say "meow"? Fun way to start a discussion about Autumn, for children old enough to understand how these mix-ups are a mess.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Pumpkin Jack
  • Bella's Fall Coat
  • Llama Destroys the World
  • Leaves
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • Big Pumpkin
  • Say Something
  • Bo the Bat
  • Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat
  • Once Upon a Goat
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • How Big Could Your Pumpkin Grow?
  • Harry's Spooky Surprise!  (Harry The Happy Mouse #3)