Start by marking “A Shadow Passed Over the Son (The Go-Kids, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Shadow Passed Over the Son (The Go-Kids, #1)

A Shadow Passed Over the Son (The Go-Kids, #1)

An Amazon Top 20 Seller

A Shadow Passed Over the Son is the first installment of the adult-friendly (PG-13) epic adventure serial series The Go-Kids, quality science fiction from award-winning writer Ryan Schneider.

Parker Perkins lives in Manhattan with his mom and dad. Today is Parker's 10th birthday. But Parker's birthday takes a sudden turn and his life will never be the
Published (first published April 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Shadow Passed Over the Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Shadow Passed Over the Son

Start your review of A Shadow Passed Over the Son (The Go-Kids, #1)
David
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
PARKER PERKINS is an average young Manhattan boy with a healthy interested in video-games and one in particular; the Go-Boy simulator from his favourite film franchise but he didn't know it would come to save his life on his birthday. When an East Coast terrorist attack touches his life in ways he could never imagine it sets in motion a chain of events that will change the young boy's life forever.

I came to the book cold; I'm thirty-one years of age and outside what I had always imagined would
Read2review
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
** For the full review please check out www.read2review.com **

What starts off as an innocent enough scene where Parker innocently decides to skip school on his birthday ends up as a life changing experience as a bomb attack leaves him buried alive and many people dead his mother included. Three years later, Parker is learning trying to recover from his loss and the country seems to have fallen into hard times, the threat of war ever present. Whilst the country appears to be in control and
Alana Woods
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is book 1 in The Go-Kids series. The author is currently working on book 6.

The book is primarily for young teenagers, I think, given that the story revolves around the main characters 13th birthday, his anticipation of it and the disaster it becomes.

More a first instalment than a book because it ends on a cliff-hanger, it plots the course of Parker Perkins whose mother dies in chapter 1 in an attack on New York by an undisclosed enemy on his 10th birthday and abruptly ends three years
Dan Kind
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
YA Science Fiction at its best!

This book, the first in the GO-KIDS series, surprised me. I downloaded it onto my Kindle, unsure what to expect, figuring to let it sit there in digital-device-oblivion for who knows how long before I read it. But then, one night before bed, I decided to read the first chapter.

Before I registered what happened I was up two hours later than I should have been and hooked.

Science fiction written for young adults is not usually my thing. In fact I'm not sure I've ever
James West
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great characters in a compelling world

The character and world building are top-notch in A Shadow Passed Over the Son. I felt a strong kinship for 13 year old Parker and his friends, and often found myself considering my own childhood. Making such a connection with readers should be the goal of every author, and Ryan Schneider pulled it off brilliantly. With that same skill, he placed me in a new and captivating world that I cannot wait to visit again.

I will not give any spoilers, but from the
Jack
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very quick read (108 pages in print), very enjoyable. YA sci-fi. It's not all action, but it feels and reads like it is.

Synopsis: Parker Perkins loves Go-Boy, a robot suit piloted by a young man (Colby Max). What young boy wouldn't want to be Go-Boy? And if you can't be him, you can buy his merchandise and see his movies. Unfortunately for Parker, his dad is not around because he is serving in the current war (where the French are the primary superpower!); his mom is not around because she was
Andrew Butterworth
Apr 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I should start by saying that I think the target audience for this book is much younger than me and I expect a younger audience would engage with the characters better and probably the dialogue.

Pros -
I think there is a great idea here and I am sure the other books expand on this.
I think the cityscape is interesting

Cons -
I was actually shocked when it ended and I hadn't spotted the page count. I wasn't yet engaged fully and it ended. I know it says it is book one but it needs more closure. I
Frank Marsh
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm new to Ryan Schneider's writing, A SHADOW PASSED OVER THE SON being the first book of his that I have ever read. In short? I enjoyed it immensely. Plot-wise, it moves at a breakneck pace. Writing-wise, it manages to vividly describe the deteriorating world in which it is set while remaining taut and not over-explanatory. The characters, Parker especially, are well-developed and very "real," save for Colby himself who is about as fake as a character can be. But within the story, he's a ...more
Marva
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Peter Laurent
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book the same way I enjoyed the first Harry Potter book. Though it's aimed at a much younger audience than me, it's chock full of the same magical whimsy (but with a scifi twist) and creativity that made Harry Potter great. Well written prose, and relatable characters too.

However this book, unlike Potter, stumbles by being so short. It doesn't give the characters time to grow or for much of a conflict to arise. I'm sure that the following books will solve these issues.

As long as
Carmen DeSousa
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great start of a series. Young adult is not my primary genre, but I find I am enjoying them more and more as I research books for my teenaged-son to read. The book kept me interested throughout, it started exciting and kept me entertained and anxious to hear what was going to happen next. Ryan created a believable futuristic world that wasn't far-fetched. I look forward to reading the next in series, and I will happily and comfortably pass this book along to my fourteen-year-old to read.

Vicki Cole
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Shadow Passed Over The Son goes nowhere fast while still going in style. Shadow like a fruit bearing tree in full blossom offers up the promise of sweet fruit as well as tempting you to impatiently dive into the next volume.
Joe Willis
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Kiddie stuff.
tarun
rated it did not like it
Dec 14, 2015
Bridgette South
May 20, 2013
Douglas McLeod
Jun 19, 2013
Husband. Aspiring father. Full-time Novelist.