Start by marking “The 100 Best Affordable Vacations” as Want to Read:
The 100 Best Affordable Vacations

The 100 Best Affordable Vacations

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  101 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
100 innovative ways to maximize your vacation while minimizing the price tag.
Published April 19th 2011 by The National Geographic Society (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The 100 Best Affordable Vacations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 100 Best Affordable Vacations

Carol
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: travelers one and all
Recommended to Carol by: Neil Hollands
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
I love books like National Geo’s 100 Best Affordable Vacations. They’re great for browsing, for dreaming and for pure delight in anticipation of an adventure. Broken up into four segments, Americana, Into the Wild, Quest for Knowledge, Body & Soul, each provides enough suggestions for even the most traveled of us.

Those I’ve already done provide a bit of nostalgia and reminiscence, others that are on my list make me yearn to get away. Monarch Butterflies in Morelia, Mexico, dig deeper into N
Gwen
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Gwen by: browsing at the library
Shelves: travel
Decent--but shallow--start point for planning relatively affordable vacations across the United States. Very little detail is given, so for more information, you would have to look at a more specific guidebook.

I'm impressed that the authors are recommending hostels: excellent cheap lodging that usually attracts a fun group of people, but it seems that Americans aren't as pro-hostel as other nations.

Some of the vacations didn't strike me as "affordable" (at least in comparison with the rest of th
Dawn
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book - not because it plans into minute detail extravagant vacations (it doesn't) - but because it has so many good, quirky, interesting ideas I'd never think of. Each vacation idea is numbered and spans 2-3 pages. I liked that the entries are short and easy to take in - they're full of ideas at a glance, information on contacts and prices (including "splurge" ideas as well as ways to save).

I started paper-clipping vacations I'd like to try, but ran out of paperclips. The loc
Pamela Whitcomb
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great bucket list trips!

Now I have so many great ideas for trips I have to take! This book is a great resource for all kinds of creative and interesting trips. I kind of want to keep the ideas all to myself so everyone else doesn't create a crowd! Also good reference for addresses and websites.
Jenn
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
I love planning vacations, even though we rarely take the extravagant trips I propose. I picked up this book because the "affordable" weekend trips it promised made me think I might actually get away more. Unfortunately, so many of the trips were on the east coast that they still were not "affordable", at least from my starting point. I enjoyed reading and continuing to plan anyway.
Judy
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
While some of these ideas are just barely in the "affordable" category, I found several good ideas and useful information, for example, a link to volunteer as a national park host. The book is published by National Geographic so it is better researched and presented than many of this type. I got it as an e-book from my public library... and I just might have to go buy it.
Deborah
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Not just for budget travelers. Best used as a reference guide for travel ideas and inspiration. Each of the 100 items covers 2 to 3 pages and most give some alternatives and related ideas. Almost all destinations are in North America with the majority in the US.
Pearl
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Bought this at BookSale for ten pesos! :D I'm so happy to have this one so I can improve my knowledge in best tourist spots and different cultures and traditions in North and South America. I hope this will also help in my major subject (Destination Geography). :D
Jen
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
The title is a misnomer. These aren't necessarily the most affordable vacations and even has some interesting more expensive ones as ideas. It IS however a book with full of interesting places to visit and see. I marked probably 8 of the ideas that sounded good to me. Good page flipper.
Sherri
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Affordable? Nice selection of places to visit and what to do while there, but no real tips for bargains. The idea behind the "affordable" part of the title is that the trips are all in the U. S. so you're not paying for international traval.
Grace
Jan 17, 2016 added it
Great selection of vacation spots, grouped for various purposes: Americana, Into the Wild, Quest for Knowledge, and Body & Soul. Most vacation locales appear to be in North America or Meso-America. Lots of details with contact information!
May-Ling
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
i was pleasantly surprised by how great this book is. the author does an excellent job of coming up with affordable, very unique excursions for vacations. i definitely noted at least 10 different destinations or themed trips that i added to my one day list.
Paula
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: z2014-reads
Good little book for ideas but not so good for real planning. You will still need other books or the internet to plan the details. I'm not sure these trips are what i would consider budget either. There wasn't really enough detail to discern that.
Lisa
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Several neat ideas, but not a lot of detail given. Quite a bit of outside research would be needed to make a trip work.
Travis
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Fairly good ideas but none that were close enough to home to do soon. Scuba diving and rain forest trekking in Puerto Rico was the most intriguing but still unaffordable on my college student budget.
Anne
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
A nice travel guide of you want to visit North America. Not all of these places are affordable, though. But all in all, this book is good eye candy for bookshelves!
Beth
Nov 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
In reading this book it is just as fun to see if you have visited the suggested destinations or took part in the suggested activities.
Fran
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book had some really super vacations. They were very unique, affordable, and fun sounding.
Kelly
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Lots of good starter ideas of what kind of trip you want to do (historical, music, civil rights, etc), but pretty much restricted to the continental US.
Katherine Jensen
Some good ideas.
Kristi
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
So many vacations spots require travelling that they aren't really affordable.
Courtney
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun book to page through! Great for daydreaming & gathering ideas
Kathy
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it
There were some interesting ideas for a good, inexpensive vacation in here. Leave it to National Geographic to bring out the best in travel books!
Haley Anders
Dec 25, 2016
Janet
Jun 15, 2011
Susan
rated it did not like it
Aug 04, 2012
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • The Smart Traveler's Passport
  • The 100 Best Volunteer Vacations to Enrich Your Life
  • Drives of a Lifetime: Where to Go, Why to Go, When to Go
  • How to Travel the World for FREE: I did it, and you can do it, too!
  • Naked in Dangerous Places: The Chronicles of a Hungry, Scared, Lost, Homesick, but Otherwise Perfectly Happy Traveler
  • Frommer's 500 Places to Take Your Kids Before They Grow Up
  • Off the Tourist Trail: 1,000 Unexpected Travel Alternatives
  • 1001 Escapes to Experience Before You Die
  • 101 Places Not to See Before You Die
  • 1001 Foods You Must Taste Before You Die
  • Chicken Soup for the Nature Lover's Soul: Inspiring Stories of Joy, Insight and Adventure in the Great Outdoors
  • Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America
  • The Con: How Scams Work, Why You're Vulnerable, and How to Protect Yourself
  • The Ragged Edge of the World: Encounters at the Frontier Where Modernity, Wildlands, and Indigenous Peoples Me et
  • 400 Calorie Fix : Slim Is Simple : 400 Ways to Eat 400 Calorie Meals