Start by marking “Bicycling the Pacific Coast: A Complete Route Guide, Canada to Mexico” as Want to Read:
Bicycling the Pacific Coast: A Complete Route Guide, Canada to Mexico

Bicycling the Pacific Coast: A Complete Route Guide, Canada to Mexico

CLICK HERE to download the 42 mile ride near Anacortes and the 48 mile ride along the Oregon Coast from Bicycling the Pacific Coast

* Bicycle touring the Pacific Coast is outlined in one trip or four separate adventures
* Road directions, points of interest, and available restrooms and provisions all built into daily mileage logs
* Elevation profiles and Table of Essentials
Paperback, 4th Edition, 272 pages
Published January 28th 2005 by Mountaineers Books (first published May 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Bicycling the Pacific Coast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bicycling the Pacific Coast

Scott Brown
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
I bought this book at very last minute. I didn't even know it existed until I was told by my Air Bnb host 3 days before I left on my ride to San Francisco. Once I got it I studied it over those final 3 days, with my pencil ready to make notes and jot things down.
I had never done a bike tour before, or any tour which I had to organise myself so I was in new territory here. Bicycling the Pacific Coast made the whole experience so much easier.
Each chapter resembled a leg of the trip. Some legs we
John
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I haven't read the whole book, just the Pacific City, Oregon to San Francisco section. Excellent resource for bike touring on the Pacific Coast. Mile by mile description list of resources, camping spots, watering holes, etc.

The book is divided up into roughly 50 mile days which is a little useless as I only met one solo 65 year old on a recumbent who was actually riding that little each day. Usually we'd just ride out two or so sections of the book a day. The author gives in depth descriptions
Mrshawn10100
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just a great first hand guide to riding the pacific coast. I have used this to ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles - first in the 1980s (first version) and then again in 2016. Now when I get lost, I can supplement with Googlemaps on my phone, which is great. Terrific information and perspective! I am now using it to plan a ride of the Oregon coast this summer (2017), and plan to fill out the other sections eventually.

7/8/17 - Used this as a guide to riding down the Oregon Coast over five days
Jenifer  R.
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I used this book to do a bike tour of the Pacific Coast this summer. Pretty much everyone in the hiker-biker camps had this book, or wanted to get a look at it. Great book - the authors make good suggestions, and most of the information is up-to-date. There were a few towns where grocery stores had moved & a few towns where there were now grocery stores, but nothing too troubling. The elevation profiles in this book were not the best. For that I would recommend the Adventure Cycling maps. Th ...more
Benjamin Richards
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Make sure you have the latest edition! Yes, it is an invaluable aide to the Pacific Coast tourer, although, like Lonely Planet/Rough Guide addicts it is easy to become too focussed on the routes and activities listed in the book. Personally, I found myself following the book less and less as the cycling progressed as I stayed at as many 'Warm Showers' as possible and also wild camped in the more expensive areas. One up-shot of the guidebook was that it became possible to rendezvous with friends ...more
Adam
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
The good: This books is a fairly complete guide to bicycling the pacific coast. It has nice mileage logs,suggestions of places to stay and suggested bike touring daily itineraries.

The not so good: This book is in its FOURTH edition, and should not have so many errors in it, still. It's not the Henry O. Hatfield Marine Science Center but the Mark O. Hatfield Marine Science Center. It's not Olisan Street in Portland but GLISAN Street. It's not Humbolt County, CA, but HUMBOLDT COUNTY, CA.

The mater
Bo
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A really handy book for travelling the PCH on bike. Kept up to date too, with plenty of things too see and side trips to explore. My only problem is that the book is that it's written for travelling Southward. They do explain this reasoning, and I did learn the same lesson when I tried going Northward. The wind makes what would be a pleasant ride insanely difficult and slow. I guess I should appreciate the book more, now that I think about it. I'm changing my rating to five stars, because I shou ...more
Velma
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bicycle tourists looking for a great ride
Indispensable guide for riding the Pacific Coast route between Canada and Mexico. I used my now well-thumbed copy on a 1,317 mile trip from British Columbia to San Francisco in summer of 1988, and found it invaluable. Didn't come across many other riders on the road who hadn't at least consulted it prior to embarcation; only the ones riding from south to north, in ignorance of the prevailing wind direction.
Risa
Aug 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: long -riding loners and those who go to Europe for tha landscape and not for the shopping
a real page turner, i know. But eventually, when you can, you might want to ride your bike from Monterey to Big Sur and beyond to see the most gorgeous part of the coast and stop for deep fried artichoke hearts and beer in the middle of the day. and when that time comes, you can borrow my xeroxed pages from this book becuase i intend to return it to Borders. unless it proves to be really, really riveting.
Danielle
Jul 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: transportation
This is the book that everyone talks about at the hiker/biker camp sites! With simple maps. mileage waypoints, day trip descriptions and campground information, this book gives you a great sense of comfort as you set off. Although I biked only a small portion of the coast, not in the intervals recommended by the book, I read almost the entire thing. I treasure this book and can't wait to hit the rest of the route.
Stasia
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super informative! I photocopied only the pages I needed and took those on my bike from San Francisco to Santa Barbara. What's super helpful is that the book lays out all the campgrounds you'll run into along the route, as well as any fun things to do or random side trips. I felt super well-prepared to go anywhere, even though it was my first time biking this route. Very well done.
Aathavan
Jun 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
The book is a great guide to anyone who wants to tour the Pacific coast on a bike. My advice - read the book, toss it and then run off the road! There is plenty to be had off the beaten track described in the book.
Linda
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
handle bar bag and a bike necessary guide to the coast..
Erin Sward
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
it is a NECESSITY while biking this coast. it's all you need.
Lisa
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, sports
A bit outdated by now in some parts, and she tends to underestimate distances, but a very useful resource to have with you on your trip!
Sarah Murrmann