Start by marking “Sugar Rush (Cupcake Club #1)” as Want to Read:
Sugar Rush (Cupcake Club #1)

Sugar Rush

(Cupcake Club #1)

Devil's Food...Angel Cake...Red Velvet...Praline Crunch...Lemon Chiffon...
How's a woman to choose?
Luckily, the members of the Cupcake Club are about to taste it all...

When baker extraordinaire Leilani Trusdale left the bustle of New York City for Georgia's sleepy Sugarberry Island, she didn't expect her past to follow. Yet suddenly, her former boss, Baxter Dunne, aka Chef

Published January 2012 by Brava (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sugar Rush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar Rush

Lisa Kay
[image error]
[image error][image error][image error][image error]

★★★☆ If you want dialogue, this is the book for you. Good dialogue? Sometimes. Sometimes very good dialogue. Sometimes just a rehash of what we already know. I also felt that Leilani was originally this really nice person who had to get a little ‘bitchy’ to get the sexual tension percolating with Baxter. That just didn’t work for me.

However, if you are one of those people who wish the couple would just talk to one another, this is
Ana
I apologize in advance for the large number of pictures featuring cupcakes - I simply couldn't resist. And be prepared for the urge to hunt down and eat a massive number of them. :D

When Leilani Trusdale left New York and her rising career as a pastry chef to open a cupcake shop in a small town of Sugarberry, most people didn't understand her decision. But she knew something had to give. It's not that she was unhappy with her life, more like she wasn't happy with it. All the backstabbing in the r
Regina
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ugh
I enjoyed several of Kauffman's other books (notably the "Glass Slipper, Inc" series). They were light, but I could identify with the characters and they were fun reads. This book just seemed to drag on forever... I actually listened to it, rather than reading it-- which meant that I couldn't "skim". It was excruciating! I got so tired of the main female character's angst, hand-wringing, and indecision. There was lots of "wrestling" going on, but most of it was metaphorical and not particularly ...more
Natalie
This was a really sweet (quite literally) romance between Leilani the former right hand woman of Baxter Dunne, celebrity pastry chef. Leilani has since moved to Sugarberry to be closer to her father and away from the hustle of New York City and get over Baxter. But Baxter has other plans, and decides he is into Lei and comes looking for her in the tiny town in Georgia and upsets all her plans of small town life.

I liked how the small town life was well fleshed out and juxtaposed against the ligh
Kim Smiley
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Finally! I'm so happy to be done with this book! It took me a week to read due to the big pages and small text and the fact that the first 200 or so pages were so boring it was a book I could only take in small portions.

Lani is a pastry chef and a good one. She quit her job at a high profile restaurant in New York to move to Sugarberry Island, where her Dad is sherriff and her family came from. She opens up a cupcakery and is enjoying it. That is, until Baxter Dunne decides to follow her there.
Jen
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, fiction, kindle, romance
(Will insert book talk later...)

I was rather disappointed with this one. Though I liked all the characters, it just seemed like all the conversations the hero and heroine had were the same:

Her: "I know you don't understand why I want to live in this tiny town and make cupcakes"
Him: "No I don't - you're destined for better things."
Her: "Let me explain why I love it so much for a long time"
Him: "Ok, wow, I respect your decision, though I don't understand it."

It just felt a little same-y after a w
Gilles
Mar 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, library
I quit. 60% and I still am not invested in the characters. I can't take them talking about why their lives together won't work anymore. I haven't managed to figure out why they are even interested. I will just predict what happens instead.

They continue to discuss why it won't work beating the dead horse for another couple of chapters. They exchange kiss number 3 which blows their minds (btw they need to get out more) and convinces them they must try. So, they write up a life plan that meets the
Jaime Fiction Fangirls Book Review
I liked this story but it tended to drag on for me. It felt like SO much happened but like nothing was happening at all. That doesn’t even make sense but it’s the only way to explain it. I’m glad I read the story and I thought it was sweet but I don’t see myself coming back to reread.
Megan
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Anyone who knows me knows that I am a guilty pleasure fan of girly contemporary romances. I swear by anything Sophie Kinsella/Madeline Wickham-related, and Jane Green, Jennifer Weiner, and Helen Fielding all have a fan in me. When offered the chance to read and review the first two books in the new Cupcake Club series from Donna Kauffman, I leaped at the chance. So yes, this is going to be a double review of SUGAR RUSH and SWEET STUFF, books one and two in the series from Kensington.

Book one, SU
Jessica
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I like variety when reading and the first reads of 2012 are a perfect example of that. A supernatural werewolf mystery, bizarro and a romantic bit of chic lit. Chic lit being one I'd say I read the least but I won this book on twitter from the publisher and was dying for a different kind of book and this was sitting on my shelves so I rebelled and read it. See I'm a bad ass. Yep that much of one.

Sugar Rush was sweet. No pun intended, though it's hard to escape the sweet food references when it's
Romancing the Book
Review by Valerie:
Ahh...New York City. If you’ve ever been there, you know the energy the city has. Leilani also knows the energy the city has, after all, she worked there for years, but she felt the city drained her. After having a crush on her boss for most of those years, she loses her mom, almost loses her dad, and hightails it out of there and finds herself opening up her own cupcake shop on the little island of Sugarberry. Then one day, plop, out of the blue, her ex-boss shows up and turns
Christina
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am torn about this book.
On the one hand, I was so grateful to get a hero and heroine who actually talked to each other I was willing to excuse almost anything. The female friendships with the baking therapy were excellent, and the descriptions of cupcakes and other dessert baking made me really want to do some baking of my own (spoiler alert, there are cupcake recipes in the back).
On the one hand, this was one of the most tell-don't-show books I've ever read. Almost every page was 75% dialogu
Kait Nolan
Absolutely loved this! Witty, funny, hit all my happy buttons relating to my love of food, and definitely broke a LONG streak of less than satisfying reads.
Janet Robel
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This was cute. I enjoyed the cupcake shop, but most of this had me putting it down. It fell a little flat for me.
Bookishnymph *needs hea*
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it!!
Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish)
Now I definitely wish I had read this series in order. Not that the second book doesn't stand on its own, it does. I just think I would have appreciated Lani and Baxter's scenes in it more having read this. Also, I wouldn't have had expectations of certain occurrences explained in the second book happening in this one.

Once again, I loved the characters in this book. With the exception of Alva, which is just an archetypal character I cannot stand, I really liked their interaction and their storie
..Mary..
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quando ho detto che volevo aspettare per leggere questo libro, non intendevo aspettare 10 mesi. Va be, almeno adesso posso leggere anche il seguito subito.
Leilani Trusdale ha trentanni, ed è un chef di grande talento che lavora a New York per uno dei più grandi chef famoso in tutto il mondo, ma non ce la fa più, le pressioni e le male lingue da parte dei suoi colleghi gelosi per il suo talento e il carattere dello chef Baxter Dunne, che ormai preferisce i riflettori degli studi televisivi alla c
Novel
☕️Kimberly
Caffeinated Aspects

Cupcakes, a bakery, chefs and sinful talks about chocolate. Be sure to brings snacks to listen to this one!
 Small-town setting. The tale takes place in Sugarberry Island, a small coastal community in Georgia. It was a delightful place with busy bodies, local businesses and a million stars at night. It sounds heavenly. Right? Now sniff..Yep cupcakes, coffee and fresh air.
Leilani Trusdale moves away from the hustle and bustle, not to mention the pressure of being a pastry
Danielle
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Leilani Trusdale has always had a love for baking. Lani decides to leave New York City and head to Sugarberry Island to escape her past. She knows she is making the right decision well, that is until her former boss, Baxter Dunne makes an appearance in her shop. Chef Hot Cakes wants to film a season of his show there, but it's that all he is there for?

Every one of Lani’s friends is convinced this time around Baxter is what she needs in her life to make it complete. Although, Lani doesn’t believ
Chachic
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chachic by: Laura Florand
Originaly posted here.

I got the recommendation for the Cupcake Club series from Laura Florand. I wanted to try out more contemporary romance that centered around food, especially desserts because I'm a huge fan of sweet things. In Sugar Rush, Lani leaves behind a successful career as a pastry chef and starts her own cupcakery in a small town. I love that Lani was brave enough to leave New York to start her own business and that she feels it's the right move for her even though others believe it'
Cathy
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Maybe I am too logical/practical to suspend disbelief enough to like this book. I just found it too improbable. First of all, could a remote island off the coast of Georgia that doesn't even have it's own grocery store really sustain a shop as specialized as a cupcake bakery? I can understand wanting to set the story in a small town, but I think Sugarberry is to small.

And I know the whole plot line revolves around Baxter showing up unexpectedly, but really would a big-time food channel program j
Emily
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
The book was killed by dialogue. It was just one lengthy conversation after the next, very little inner thought. I think one phone call went on for over 10 pages. There was way too much exposition in each conversation as well which made for very little intrigue, since everyone said exactly what they were thinking. Where's the inner turmoil, the character growth, the passion? All killed by the chatter (which honestly I started just skimming half way through).

I also felt very little for the hero/h
Stacy
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I kinda hate to go with the obvious, trite, analogy, but I just gotta say it--this book was like a cupcake: fun, fluffy, sweet, and totally addictive. Granted, it was a fairly standard romance novel, so there were no surprises on the ending, and Leilani's multiple passages of justifying why she was happy where she was (or, the mirror side of that as other characters had their "grand revelation" that she really was happy) got a bit repetitive eventually. But the characters overall, main and suppo ...more
Cee
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sugar Rush is a quality contemporary romance. What I liked most here was that Lani was sincere and serious about her reasons for not wanting Baxter around. In so many romances, the heroine is wishy washy and caves far too quickly. Though Lani recognized that she wasn’t over Baxter, she gave real consideration to her decisions and what she told him. Readers can tell that both she and Baxter mean everything they’re saying. Further, I liked that Baxter listened to her. It took a few times, but he t
Michelle (MichelleBookAddict)
Sugar Rush by Donna Kauffman 2★
(Cupcake Club: Book 1)

Predictable. Too wordy. I had ended up skipping some (just a little bit though) because there was too many redundant topics. On and on and on.
Also, I don't think I'll continue on with this series. The characters were just ok. The writing style I just didn't like.

I picked this as January's challenge mainly because this was a chore to read. I love chick lit and romance books, but this was not my thing. Everything (feelings, thoughts, etc) was
Linda
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-library
This book never took off for me, maybe it's because I grew tired of hearing Baxter described as "Hugh Grant like" more than once. Seriously, is every British man Hugh Grant or Collin Firth? A lovely thought but not likely and even if they're not, I'm sure most British man have plenty to recommend them.

The author is trying to give us a varied canvas: British hero, best friend of Indian descent, second best friend who uses a fake accent and is gay, shop assistant who leans toward the colorful and
Natalia
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook
I read this for my book club - we read fluff during the summer. And this is totally fluff. It's a romance set in a cupcake shop - it's all fluff. I don't read a lot of romance, so it was a nice way to spend an afternoon and turn my brain off. Though the whole time I am mentally screaming at the book, "Why are you assuming this is so hard? The compromise is obvious, everyone moves to Savannah!" Hell, I'd love to have problems where the solution is moving to Savannah.

I got a little wrapped up in t
Caro
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
A good book with good characters and plot. The characters and their personalities were pretty good and definitely kept the book going. I liked the story line and the ending was perfect. There was humor, emotions, some steamy scenes, a great feeling setting and small-town feel, and some spitfires to keep it interesting. This would be a good book for cuddling-up, a rainy day read, or something for relaxing with. Although the main characters tended to get a little on my nerves, it was in a minor wa ...more
Melanie
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was an okay book. I had a terrible time trying to read it, I really wasn't that interested. Initially I thought it was another cozy-mystery as I had gotten it at the same time as a bunch of them, but then I actually looked it up. So it really didn't help that for several chapters I was waiting for someone to turn up dead.

The real reason I didn't like the book is well that, there was minimal conflict. There was one love interest, one. It was easy to tell that they were going to end up together
Free Books, .99, ...: Sugar Rush by Donna Kaufmann giveaway 2/14 1 10 Feb 07, 2012 07:00AM
  • Scrumptious (Sexy Chefs, #1)
  • Cat Snips
  • A Man Like Mike
  • One Night (Superstars in Love, #2)
  • Suddenly Beautiful
  • A Gift of Snow
  • Christmas in Lucky Harbor (Lucky Harbor, #1-2)
  • Catch of a Lifetime (Cricket Creek, #2)
  • What He Demands (My Alpha Billionaire, #2)
  • Armando Returns (Barboza Brothers, #2)
  • The Icing on the Cupcake
  • The Trouble with Love (Cupcake Lovers, #2)
  • Seduced by the Angel (Divine Fornication, #1)
  • Wickedly Charming (Fates #7)
  • Life's Too Short To Frost A Cupcake
  • A Red Hot Valentine's Day
  • Styx (The Four, #1)
  • Play Dirty (The Devil's Share, #2)
USA Today bestseller and award winning author of the Cupcake Club series and the Blueberry Cove series, DONNA KAUFFMAN has been gratified to see her books get rave reviews in venues ranging from Kirkus Reviews and Library Journal to Entertainment Weekly and Cosmopolitan. She lives in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains in southwestern Virginia, where she is happily working on the next book in her b ...more

Cupcake Club (4 books)
  • Sweet Stuff (Cupcake Club, #2)
  • Babycakes (Cupcake Club, #3)
  • Honey Pie (Cupcake Club, #4)
“On closer notice of her apron, he said, "Is that-?"
"The Mad Hatter," she said. "I told you, I have a collection."
"You collect aprons?"
"Since I was little and my mom taught me to bake." When he smiled, she arched a brow. "Some find it charmingly quirky."
"You never wore any to Gateau."
"Shocking, I know. Because I'm certain the staff would have greatly appreciated the humor in them."
His smile twitched wider at that. "You have a point, I suppose. I must say, this dry side of you is surprisingly appealing. What does it say?" He nodded toward her apron front.
She lifted her arms away so he could read the script that accompanied the copy of an original pen and ink art rendering of the Hatter seated at a long table, holding a teacup aloft.
"YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A TEA PARTY," he read out loud, then smiled at her. "I rather agree. You make a charming and somewhat more quirky Alice than I'd have expected. I seem to recall Alice spent the better part of her time being irritated and flustered, too. Perhaps if I'd come bearing tea and crumpets, with a bewildered, bespectacled white rabbit clutching a pocketwatch in his paw, you'd have been more willing to give me the time of day.”
1 likes
“She'd never been anything other than absolutely professional with him. Always in a good mood, the calm in the center of every storm. And there had been many. He could depend on her to be consistently cool, competent, and focused. Aside from her rather amazing talent, the way she handled the day-to-day chaos of the kitchen with such smooth aplomb was the thing he'd admired most about her. He'd been convinced that bombs could be going off, and she'd been steadily working away with that quiet smile of hers, truly content, as if she existed inside her own personal sunbeam.
To him, she'd been the perennial Snow White, kind to one and all, always making life easier for those around her.”
0 likes