Start by marking “My Girlfriend's Boyfriend” as Want to Read:
My Girlfriend's Boyfriend

My Girlfriend's Boyfriend

Jesse is looking for the "right guy." When she bumps into Ethan, a despairing writer who she inspires, she thinks she's found him. But only moments later she meets Troy, a successful advertising executive who makes almost every moment romantic. Both seem perfect, but things aren't always what they seem in this fun romance that blends warm sincerity with fresh storytelling.
Published August 8th 2011 by Bonneville

To ask other readers questions about My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadDial L for Loser by Lisi HarrisonThe Pretty Committee Strikes Back by Lisi HarrisonInvasion of the Boy Snatchers by Lisi HarrisonRevenge of the Wannabes by Lisi Harrison
Triple Threat
75 books — 7 voters
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly BlackA Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingMacbeth by William ShakespeareThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Feeling Blue
434 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of My Girlfriend's Boyfriend
Julie
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I’ve been doing some heavy reading lately, so when the opportunity came along to review Elodia Strain’s new book, My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend, I jumped at the chance.

This book made me smile from the get-go. We meet Jesse who is looking for the right guy and has a well-meaning boss at the coffee shop where she waitresses trying to help her do it. Jesse’s quirky personality, yet real emotional issues, instantly made me like her. She lives with her brother, loves musicals to the nth degree, and blurt
Crystal ✬ Lost in Storyland
Review copied from original post at Imaginary Reads

Troy and Ethan. Ethan and Troy. Ethan is the good guy that every girl wants to settle with. He’s charming and kind. When Jesse began dating Troy as well, I couldn’t believe that she’d do this to a guy like Ethan. Then again, Troy… he’s every girl’s dream man. He’s filthy rich, successful, and spontaneous, calling Jesse last minute for a date. I wouldn’t be able to resist him either.

Towards the middle end, I began to feel that pieces weren’t addi
Brenda
May 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, kindle
31/5/14 - Funny book, cute, but I liked the movie more. The heroine was constantly lying in the book which I am aware was for comic effect but it really stood out for me and started to bug me.

23/5/14 - Just watched the movie now I have to read the book! Normally I do not like love-triangles but the twist at the end made me want to watch the whole movie again. Time for the book!
Connie
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
There is more going on in this novel than in the movie. I, therefore, found it to be more interesting. I enjoyed the additional side characters who offered more conflict. The heroine is more of a spaz here than in the movie. She is also quite the chronic liar, but the lies are so outrageous it’s a wonder anyone believes a word she says. It’s a fun, light read with no more depth than the movie.
Leah
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend is a rare book indeed: It was made into a movie before the novel was written! Oh yes, it’s a movie-to-book adaptation so when I saw on Netgalley what it was and I read the synopsis, I figured I’d give it a shot. I started the novel and got about halfway through when I decided to watch the movie before I continued with the book (whenever possible, I like to read the book before seeing the movie as usually the book comes first so in My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend’s case, I wan ...more
Heather
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Full review and trailer at http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com/2...

If you've never read a book by Elodia Strain today is the day to go out and buy one. She is by far my favorite writer in the romantic comedy genre. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from My Girlfriend's Boyfriend because it was written based off of a movie that was released a year ago that I've never seen or heard of. But I picked it up knowing that I love Elodia's sassy, hilarious writing. And then when curiosity got the best o
Jac (For Love and Books)
I am guilty of judging a book by it's cover, and the fact that the words "From the Major Motion Picture" are BELOW the title? I'm not big on movie covers for books; and then the idea of the book being written AFTER the movie? I was nervous.

And I was wrong.

I LOVED THIS BOOK! I read it in one sitting, and then decided to hunt out the movie (of which I plan on watching as soon as I finish writing this review! )

From the start, Jesse and her sense of humor and sarcasm had my laughing, including an
Leaffrog03
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I bought this movie, but then when I saw that a book was about to be released as well I decided to wait to watch the movie until after I had read the book. I read the book on my plane ride home from my sister's wedding and I loved it! I was smiling and laughing the whole way through the book. I liked Jesse's quirky habits especially celebrating a holiday every day even if it is only National Potato Chip day. I enjoyed both Ethan and Troy, but I think I enjoyed Ethan more because she was able to ...more
Kristen
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, clean-read
8/2/19 - So I remembered that I had read this book, but didn't remember how it ended. So cute again. Loved the characters and the story. Recommending it to my 16 yr old.

5/16/14
Such a cute book! I loved the characters. It made me laugh out loud quite a few times. I can't wait to watch the movie now. The ending was a tad confusing to me (view spoiler) thus the 4 instead of 5 stars. But other than that super good.

Moral Note:
Jenna
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, lds-author
I saw the movie movie version of this book first--since it came out before the book--and thought it was a charming, original story. I thought the book was even more so. Elodia Strain's writing is so witty and quick, her characters are quirky but still very believable. I laughed so much while reading the book. And, even though I had seen the movie and knew the premise, Ms. Strain had added many new characters and situations that it almost seemed like I was experiencing the story for the first tim ...more
Katie W
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-clean
Jesse has had her heart broken. Ethan has had his dreams dashed. They meet in the coffee shop where Jesse works and instantly like each other. But then, Jesse meets her dream man. How will she choose?

I loved Ethan. He's funny, kind, thoughtful, ambitious. Jesse was fun and sarcastic. The ending completely threw me--totally unexpected! It was great!

I had no idea there was a movie made of this. I'm going to need to track that down.
Lizzy
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Angie
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how to write my review without spoiling but I'll try to do my best.

The fact is that I immediately had a good feeling and enjoyed the book from the beginning. The storyline was simple but efficient. Jesse and her close relations are a little peculiar, not to say crazy, but I like that. It was easy to relate to them, they made me laugh and I felt comfortable with them. It was funny and well written (cf: the various interpretations of Vivian's speech, the delirious tests).

I appreciate
L_manning
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jesse has been unlucky in love, so imagine her surprise when she meets two dream guys in the same day. One is a sweet and sensitive writer. The other is a smart and successful businessman. Now Jesse has to pick which one is for her, but that's proving to be much more difficult than she thought it would be. Can Jesse decide between what her heart and her head want?

I was so in love with this book. Jesse was smart and funny. She was a little kooky, but not so crazy you didn't like her. Her boss was
Patricia
Dec 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I had never heard of this book or the movie until yesterday when a friend recommended this book. This was a clean romance. I liked the characters (well, I was a bit put off by Jesse's ability to date two guys with equal intensity and attraction).

However, for some reason, I did not like the twist at the end of the book. It was just awkward. Maybe some would think it was clever. I didn't.

Also, the entire book read like a movie rather than a novel. Don't ask me what I mean by that because I don't
Cleffairy Cleffairy
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Reviewed at: Over A Cuppa Tea
Review date:29 September 2011
Review link: http://cleffairy.com/?p=6162

I don’t usually read chic-lit. They are not very appealing to me and they put me to sleep, but ‘My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend’ is an okay read, I suppose. It tells the tale of a young woman who then accidentally gets involved with two guys and had to make a choice between the two.

While the story is not as complicated as some chic-lit that I’ve read, it is still rather predictable.

I suppose I can say th
Kathryn
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Brenda
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a fun, laugh out loud story! I love the way Elodia can take an uncomfortable situation and leave me in stitches. The way she writes her characters is just hysterical. I was asked to leave the room when I kept interrupting the family's TV time by cracking up:) Jesse is a quirky, fun gal who just wants to find the right guy and live happily ever after. Enter two hunks. Ethan, the struggling writer with a heart of gold. Comfy. Safe. Warm. Enter polar opposite Troy. Drop dead gorgeous. Anticipa ...more
Emily Lund
Sep 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
Story felt disconnected to me. I couldn't understand the main character, Jesse, her feelings about her current situation or which "secret" she needed to share was unrelate-able . As far as I could tell she didn't mention anything to Ethan about dating Troy(although I think he caught on when she left him on the mountain side) or that she was married once before. So I was rather surprised that what was revealed at the end, because I felt no tie to the main character or saw any conscience thoughts ...more
Stacy
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Jesse has been unlucky in love so she is surprised when Ethan walks into her life and Troy. Ethan makes her smile and feel comfortable but there's something she can't tell him. She has a secret that she thinks will make him look at her differently!

Ethan is a writer and Jesse inspires him to start a new project. Troy is a perfect guy. The kind of guy that every girl wishes would notice her, while Ethan is the boy next door. What will happen.

This was a really sweet clean romanc
Michelle
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: forpleasure
I saw this movie years ago and loved it. While not often the case, the book is just as good as the movie was. The story is compelling and hilarious because of the heroine's quirky sense of humor. It makes you think and makes you laugh. I loved everything about it and would highly recommend the book to anyone as it has no objectionable content. There is literally nothing that is offensive - not in the least. It's just a sweet love story that shows true love happens by having a best friend in the ...more
Heidi
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Jesse, a barista, meets two dream guys in the same day, one about five minutes after the other. Ethan is quiet and sensitive; Troy is rich, adventurous, and plans romantic dates. And Jesse must choose.

I loved Elodia Strain's first two books but didn't care for this one. I missed the fun characters and situations in the first books and wondered what happened with this one. But it turns out that this is a novel adaptation of a movie script that somebody else wrote, which explains everything. Elodi
Shauna
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it
It was okay. Cedar Fort Publishing (who published this book) is doing a release launch and Project Read will benefit from the proceeds, so I thought I better read it first. Watched the movie--cute, fun, mostly clean (some innuendo, that's all). Started the book, thought, "Ugh," but it got better. Added a couple characters to keep it interesting. The typos drove me crazy (and no, they were not intentional). I read it in a night, so it's a short, easy read. I know it's about a 30-something woman, ...more
Tiffany
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-easy-read
I love her writing. So my taste. I laughed out loud so many times. Kevin found the trailer to the movie because he wanted to see what was so funny and if we should watch the movie, but I made him turn it off after a few seconds because I could tell the book was WAY better and the movie couldn't do justice to the hilarious parts of the book. The book was delightfully fun with a fun twist at the end.
Beth
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Elodia delivers again! This book was just plain fun to read, the perfect indulgence for a lazy afternoon. The writing was fresh and I laughed out loud several times. And the ending was simply excellent -- I truly did not see it coming and just loved the pleasant surprise from a genuinely clever twist. This is one quick and easy read that's certainly worth reading.
Ashley
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Very quick, funny, happy-inside read. I do like that about Eloida's books.
The ending though- not sure about. It was kind of confusing and I had to reread a few paragraphs to try and make sense of it. Not sure if it is the same as the movie or not.
Fun to reread , but not one I can see myself rereading (my basis for three stars).
Michelle Sampson
I can't rate this book because I couldn't read beyond page 50. I guess that tells you a little about what I think. I watched the movie first and then realized, after getting the book, that it was written after the movie. I think that was the problem. The book seemed trite and simple, even though I knew there was a very unique twist coming. The writing was not interesting enough to hold me.
Suzana
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I laughed and laughed and laughed. Jesse is so funny and likable. Really fun book, but don't start it at 9:00 p.m. because you'll want to finish it and be up until midnight, unless you have more self-control than I do. Worth the lack of sleep.

The ending was confusing and I had to think about it for it to make sense, I think!
Sarah Brown
Nov 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
This was a weird book. It started out like a normal romantic/comedy I was kind of enyoing it but then it had it's little weird twist and resolved so fast I didn't really understand what was going on. I felt very confused by the end and like i'd kind of wasted my time. It probably worked better as a movie.
Jacqueline
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was a really easy, fun read. The only reason I read it was because it looked okay and I was going on vacation. I read it and laughed all the way through. The movie wasn't as good, if you've seen it on Netflix. It's not amazing, but it makes for a good laugh. Also has a good twist in the end.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Honeymoon Heist
  • The Next Door Boys (Next Door Boys, #1)
  • Escaping Neverland
  • Right Next to Me
  • Willow Springs
  • The One Percent Miracle: The Remarkable Story of Modern-Day Miracles and How Lexi Hansen Beat the Odds
  • Rock & Role (Cinderella Cleaners, #3)
  • Summerhouse
  • The Whispered Dance of Bees
  • The Song of Copper Creek
  • I Still Want to Be an Astronaut: Living Your Dream When You Dream Too Much
  • The Matchmaker's Match
  • Edenbrooke (Edenbrooke, #1)
  • Accidentally Me
  • Black: The Birth of Evil (The Circle, #1)
  • Ilana's Wish (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • Red: The Heroic Rescue (The Circle, #2)
  • Daughter of Helaman (Stripling Warrior, #1)
I was born in Alaska and grew up in California. I guess that explains why my ideal day would start with playing in the snow and end with playing in the water.

I love jogging on the treadmill, dancing in the living room, and playing Scrabble pretty much anywhere.

News & Interviews

“I haven't been on a first date over five years.
Five. Years.
Which means, I haven't been on one since 2006.
Let me take you back to that time: 2006.
Tom Cruise and Kathie Holmes celebrated the birth of their little "TomKitten."
The Wii came out - and YouTube was flooded with videos of people throwing those little white remotes into their TVs.
Britney and Kevin call it quits, shocking America to its very core.
Facebook was still just a college campus thing - if you wanted to stalk someone, you had to buy a zoom lens and some night vision goggles.
It was a simpler time.”