Start by marking “In the Long Run” as Want to Read:
In the Long Run

Read Excerpt

In the Long Run

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Against the backdrop of one of the world's most demanding races, four men must fight their personal battles for survival. THE RACE: South Africa's awesome Comrades Marathon - fifty-five miles of physical torture run over a series of massive hills in stamina destroying heat and humidity. THE MEN: an idealistic British marathon runner duped into assisting with a murderous pl ...more
Published July 24th 2006 by Booksurge Publishing (first published January 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about In the Long Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Long Run

Terri Lynn
I love how George Stratford builds characters you can really love, hate, empathize with, or want to soundly thrash and he has certainly done that with the characters in this book. I read his other book Buried Pasts Buried Pasts by George Stratford first and adored it. I am happy to say that it is being written into screenplay form and I hope to be able to see it on the large screen of the movie theater someday. Maybe this book should join it!

I won't give away too much of the plot, just enough to tantalize you into getting a
Mark Matthews
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was similar to the book .Marathon : a novel by Hal Higdon as it followed a handful of individuals in the days before a running event, and what it means to them. But the stakes are high. Personal, political, even a potential murder to make a political statement. I loved the lead in to the comrades race and the implications that the day would bring. An endurance event is always about much more than the endurance event. But much like a marathon, once the event ended, I found myself a litt ...more
Jo
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Good story but it could have been deeper.
I did get the sense with this book that the writer didn't know enough in depth about the apartheid regime. The story could have been a bit 'meatier' had more research been done. There were one or two points where a good proof read would have ironed out a couple of mistakes ie. names and just general wrong word usage.
I did find the fact that Ryan and Gayle got so involved so quickly a bit of a non-believable part. I also thought that the part that Armstro
Ann Welton
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received this book free from LibraryThing, and found it to be a fun, gripping e-book that was hard to put down. Since I am a long distance runner, I loved the subject of the Comarades marathon in South Africa, and found the "mystery" of the main character, Steve Ryan, to run the race and be involved with killing one of the hopeful race winners - very captivating. Kept me reading into the night, loved it.
Giles Jerrit
Raymond
Oct 31, 2011
Khushboo
Oct 31, 2011
I was born in South London in 1944, just 4 days before Hitler's V1 flying bombs began falling down all over our neighbourhood. Our house was lucky and survived.

Dad was a Canadian bomber pilot with the RAF. He was killed while on his 28th mission when I was 6 weeks old. Mum was also did her bit working at top-secret Bletchley Park where the German Enigma code was broken.

My first novel, IN THE LONG