Start by marking “Caleo (Leech, #1)” as Want to Read:
Caleo (Leech, #1)

Caleo

(Leech #1)

Every High School has their social outcasts. The band nerds, the math geeks, the chess club, the girl that chews her hair, but at Butler High, even the creepy nose picker in the chess club is more popular than Caleo Anima. No matter what he did, his pale skin, snow white hair, and piercing blue eyes always made him an easy target. He used to think that the only way things ...more
Published April 29th 2011 by James Crawford

To ask other readers questions about Caleo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caleo

Start your review of Caleo (Leech, #1)
Lynn Worton
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review 6******

WOW! This is a fantastic story! I loved it!

Caleo Anima is a wonderful character! He is a warm and loving eighteen year old boy, but because of his pale skin and snow white hair, he is seen as an oddity and is shunned by most of his peers. I think this is very sad! I would love to meet him in real life! Maybe because I'm a bit of an outcast myself, I understand what he is going through! Caleo is a teenager with the usual teen problems (bullies, being ostracised and being (possibly)
Micah
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: eh
*Detailed but Spoiler Free review*

Have you ever read a book that has a good enough Premise, the characters SEEM interesting and you are excited to read but as you read the writing just bothers you? That would be Caleo.

After reading multiple 4 and 5 star books, Caleo is 2.5-3 star book at best.

1. Characters
Caleo is the title character and the Lead Character.....As you can see by the cover and by the premise, he is a bit albino looking which of course gets him teased mercilessly. However, Caleo is
Daesy
Ok this book seemed good, but I had this urge to go check the reviews for the other 2 books, and wtf....well Idk anymore when I'll read this book, bcs let's be sincere I'M NOT A FAN of what happens in book 3.

(view spoiler)
Robert Zimmermann
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
After reading the description for Caleo, I thought I’d be in for a great read. There’s a great story to the book that is great for fans of paranormal books. It also has a main character who’s gay. Even in the modern and diverse world of today, this isn’t found in many books (though there’s a growing amount of releases to explore). This was new territory for me and I was looking forward to this change from the “norm.”

While I thought the book sounded great, there are aspects that fell flat for me.
Kimberly
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
For a first time author that pubbed his own book, I was impressed. A few editorial errors, but after I started really getting into the story, those just seemed to disappear with each chapter into this facinating world that Mr. Crawford has created.

A 17 yr. old that has led a hard life b/c of his appearence finds out he's decsended from an ancient race that, when in a life threatening situation, have powers that save their lives. But Caleo is born with these powers thus making him the "Angel" or
Deeze
Feb 05, 2014 marked it as come-back-to-maybe-one-day
I tried but this just didn't work for me. The was no realism in the characters. The outcast that is best friends with 2 of the coolest kids yet they don't stick up for him except wait yes they do?.

The school announces the president is dead by class then tells them all to go to the auditorium to watch the news? wouldn't it of been better to call them all into the auditorium and told them together?

And the teacher ducking into a bathroom to have a quick smoke? Why? played no role in the story as
Dallas Vinson
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Excellent book, had trouble putting it down. Can't wait to read book 2. ...more
Free_dreamer
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, fantasy, free-reads
Overall rather meh. Didn't particularly care for Caleo and could have used another round of editing... ...more
Chase Hackett
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great people-with-superpowers adventure. I had fun throughout the book, and the last hundred pages I couldn't set it down. ...more
Dennis
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-fantasy
I was looking for a urban fantasy story with a gay main character. And I wasn't disappointed by this novel.

The fantastic element in this book doesn't feel really new. People with different extraordinary powers fighting of the way those powers should be used. I felt it was really similar to X-Men stories, even if it isn't the same and a lot of questions about it are hopefully answers in Book 2 or 3. Nevertheless, I liked the way the powers are described and work for the plot.

About the urban fant
Ulysses Dietz
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Caleo (Leech, book 1)
By James Crawford
Four stars

Let me start by saying that I’ve already bought the second and third books (“Jack” and “Nolan”) to this series. I’ll follow up by noting that the story is pretty compelling, but as I read I kept thinking “these kids are all acting like jerks,” which lead me to remind myself: this is a young adult series, written for teenagers. Of course they’re going to act like jerks: they’re teenagers.

Buried inside this post-apocalyptic adventure fantasy is ind
Bonnie Bernard
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review...which is to say my copy wasn't fully edited yet. Still, I give it five stars because the story engaged me enough that the few errors I encountered didn't faze me.

Caleo is one of those teens many of us can look back on in our own lives and relate to - the lovable misfit without a sense of belonging anywhere. In Caleo's case, the misfit-aspect goes like this - he's unnaturally pale, an orphan, and he's gay. Not exactly a go
Will Lutes
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First off: I LOVE THE SERIES as a whole. Can't stress that enough. The characters are engaging and each has a solid voice that rings true to the reader. The premise is a good one and unique as well. The post-apocalyptic tone to the book allows the characters to never feel they have a solid footing so the drama plays well against the backdrop.

While I love the relationship that Caleo has with Jack (the two are obviously meant for each other though they struggle with it) I can't help but also feel
Bookwatcher
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Bookwatcher by: Cdmr9816
Nooooooooooooooooooo
A cliffhanger end!!!!!
No wait, book 2 is already out! No need to despair! Starting Jack Jack (Leech, #2) by James Crawford NOW!!

Some words about Caleo, book 1 of the Leech series
How many times did you got a book and fear it would be not well written, or have a poor plot? Well, I can tell you this indie writer not only surprises me, but let me spechless!

The plot is sooooo complex you will not understand a thing before 35% of the book. You will know everything from Caleo's point of view.. And it's weird...
Alexa
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A young adult story that has been written by a young adult, which makes a refreshing change. The prose is inexperienced and immature, BUT that adds to its charm, as there are no long winded, over-descriptions. The story is pure brilliance, and while readers will find it similar to recent movie storylines (X-men etc.), the difference is that Caleo himself stands out in a crowd and is not part of a group that stands out from the rest.
The character is gay, but you don't really get that until over
Lee Rey
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A YA series with a gay male lead, what's not to love. Caleo is the outcast and bullied at school and has a crush on his best friend and almost brother Jack. His life is changed drastically when he is told that he is the Angel, the leader of the Leeches that is born to rule rather than be turned into a Leech. However, nothing comes to easy for Caleo, he is hunted down by 2 sides of a Leech war: those that want to use him while others believe he is a false leader that needs to be silenced. His lif ...more
Ann Snizek
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I completely enjoyed this book. The character dynamics were powerful and believable, the action was constantly pulling me through the book. I don't remember any spots that really dragged at all. The worst part of it was the ending. No, I'm not going to spoil it for you. I was just upset that it ended.

I will say that if James Crawford hadn't ended it the way he did, I would be hunting him down like a Blessed!

I can't wait to read the next book!!!
Aaron Varner
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! While I do enjoy books that deal with being gay, coming out, controversy, etc. it was refreshing to read a book where the main focus was just on the story and not being gay. It was fast moving and I could barely put this book down. I am looking forward to the next in the series!!!
Luis Almonte
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Caleo was more than an interesting read - I couldn't put it down! The book kept me guessing right up until the very end, and even then left me wanting more. The beautiful cast of characters and rich dialogue made this read that much more enjoyable and worthwhile. I will definitely be reading the second installment in the series. ...more
Micha
Jun 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I like the idea of the story; but it's just not very good writing, is it? I don't get why Caleo yells everything. And his thought process. And the overall story development. A quarter in and it's already painful to continue. ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Free on amazon at the moment.
~Cyanide Latte~
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of supernatural stories and/or the X-Men.
I'd been interested in reading this book when I happened to notice a Tweet from the author listing a deal for all three books in the trilogy, signed, as a bundle. Naturally, I couldn't resist, and so now here you have my review and thoughts on this first installment.

This book caught me by surprise in ways I wasn't expecting it to. It does have its flaws and I'll mention those at the end, but my criticisms are very few here.
Firstly, I loved the story far more than I was expecting to. This is a fa
Jules
Apr 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
(DNF) If I could give this book zero stars I would. This book is legitimate garbage, and if you can believe it, the single worst book I've ever read. Caleo reads like an eight year old's "What Did You Do This Summer?" assignment, only the eight year old is a grown man who doesn't understand how emotion works. The story doesn't exist in the fact that it's not memorable, not even in the slightest. You know those books that maybe you'll read, decide you hate, and put down, but could still give some ...more
Casey Carlisle
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: glbtqia, paranormal
Actual rating 3.5 stars.

This book made a place in my heart and nestled there. What a wonderful adventure. It was such a pleasant surprise for a gay themed YA paranormal not to be all about the gay thing. Caleo was a story about a teen discovering and navigating the world of his burgeoning powers, and the political landscape of others like him. It was very X-men-like with warring factions and other people with special abilities.

Some aspects of the story-telling really held this book back for me h
Bob S.
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF

Sort of Interesting story about two opposing factions, one with supernatural talents. Not sure about the other. There’s no explanation where they came from or why they are at war with each other.

The book is frustrating to read. Dialog is ofteb awkward, for example

“We need a plan,” a man said softly.
How the hell should I know?

And scene narrative often defies visualization.

Based on the lack of author photo, no author biography, sloppy writing, and a dedication to his mother, leads me to bel
Joshy
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the story plot to this series, absolutely killed it!
Would love to see more than just the three books, possibly something to (view spoiler)

The only thing that bothered me about this series is the spelling and grammatical errors, especially some of the sentence structures. Would love to do some editing, if you're ever keen!

5 stars overall, the only thing that made me rate it 4 stars was the above me
Pamela Cunningham
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a very special breed of humans known as Leeches who have supernatural powers

I really enjoyed this book right up until the end looking forward to the second in this series . Hopefully Caleo will stop reacting to every little thing and learn to listen . I do see a three way love triangle going on between Caleo Jack and Nolan I'm not really into multiple love interest stories so I'll be looking forward to see how the Author handles it .
Lydia
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
The premise of the book seems really interesting. I like how Crawford has given the characters some truly unique powers. I agree with a lot of the other reviews in that I feel like the plot of this book is flat. It doesn't really go anywhere and there still isn't a clear adversary. The ending is way too open for my liking. Some of the characters are rough and also a little flat. Despite this, I'm willing to read the next two books to see how this world might expand. ...more
Sabella
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Though this will sound weird, I am extremely particular about the YA books I read. This one ranks at the top of them and I've already mentioned to my teens that they have to check it out. The author brings this world to life in such a way that you find yourself expecting to see a Leech somewhere. Just amazing and beyond words. ...more
Aug 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
It's books like this that make me wish that goodreads had a zero star option. This book read like a very rough draft with typos and a horrible font, very minimal character development and a ridiculous plot that made no sense. A werewolf popped out of nowhere, and the relationships are weirdly complex and hard to follow. Do not recommend. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Caleo (Leech Book 1) by James Crawford 1 6 Mar 20, 2017 03:44AM

• Hero
  • Troublemaker (Goode Boys #1)
  • Two Straights Too Many (Heroes of Port Dale, #1)
  • Triad Soul (Triad Blood, #2)
  • Triad Blood (Triad Blood, #1)
  • Happy Endings (Demon Magic #1)
  • Duking It Out (Royal Powers #1)
  • Sacrifice (Fire & Brimstone Scroll #2)
  • Three (Triad Blood, #0.5)
  • Football Sundae (Spruce Texas Romance, #1)
  • Cloaked in Shadow (The Dragori, #1)
  • Adder and Willow (The Rowan Harbor Cycle #6)
  • Betrayal (Fire & Brimstone Scroll #4)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • Revelations (Fire & Brimstone Scroll #1)
  • Illusion (Fire & Brimstone Scroll #3)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • Alpha Awakened (Waking the Dragons #1)
LGBT > Gay