Start by marking “A Lady Never Surrenders (Hellions of Halstead Hall #5)” as Want to Read:
A Lady Never Surrenders (Hellions of Halstead Hall #5)

A Lady Never Surrenders

(Hellions of Halstead Hall #5)

New York Times bestselling author Sabrina Jeffries delights readers with the final novel in her sexy Regency Hellions of Hallstead Hall romance series, featuring Lady Celia Sharpe and the upstanding Bow Street runner, Pinter.

Lady Celia Sharpe has always been wary of marriage…but now her future depends on it.

With two months left to find a husband and fulfill her grandmother
Mass Market Paperback, 388 pages
Published January 24th 2012 by Pocket Books

NiCoLeTa E.
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
***4,5 "Proper Pinter" stars***

I love this series!!!
Review will follow... (Soon, i hope!!!)
♡Karlyn P♡
A cute ending to the Hellion series! I liked Celia and Pinter quite a bit more than I expected, and I always love a commoner for a hero. Pinter is a bow street runner, and Celia is far above him in station. He desired her from afar since he first saw her nearly a year ago, but when she enlists his service to investigate possible suitors, he can't hold back his desires.

This final book in the series also closes the mystery of who killed the Sharpe parents. It wasn't all that riveting as mysteries
Nisha
So, yesterday, I spent my entire day enjoying this book. As the conclusion of the Hellions of Halstead Hall series, I had high expectations. Unfortunately, character-wise, I didn't really care too much about Celia or Pinter, especially with new rakes in the mix - the Duke of Lyons (who appears to be decent sort) and Virginia's cousin (still can't remember his name for the life of me).

Anyway, before jumping into other stories, I'll summarize Celia and Jackson Pinter. For the entire series, we all
kris
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Lady Celia Sharpe needs to get married so she asks Bow Street runner Jackson Pinter to investigate her suitors while he is also investigating her parents' murder. They fight about it, a lot, before kissing each other like proper heathens. Eventually: love. And a resolution to the murder-thing.

1. No one in this thing makes any sense.

2. Sex in an abandoned poacher's cottage: FILTHY.

3. Murder resolution: RIDICULOUS.

4. Resolution of the "Grandchildren must marry" dictate: SLOPPY.

5. Revelation a
Susanne
4.5 Delightful Stars
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: January 24, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Imprint: Pocket Books
Author’s Website: http://www.sabrinajeffries.com/
My Source for This Book: Gift from the publisher
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 5, Hellions of Halstead Hall (Final Book)
Series Best Read In Order: Yes
Steam Level: Steamy

This was a perfect ending to a wonderful series, and I for one am sad to see it end.

As the final book in the series,
Anna D.
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

Even though this isn’t the last book in the series, it sort of feels like it because Celia is the last Sharpe sibling to marry and also the mystery of their parents’ death that was weaved throughout the series is finally solved.

For me, this book ties with Jarret’s book in second place of my favorites for the series. It lacked humor but it definitely made up for it somewhat in the angst department. I was surprised with Pinter’s level of insecurity about his station/class and his illegit
Chitra *CJ*
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: safety-first, v-card
The fifth book in "Hellions of Halstead Hall" and surprisingly not the last, is the story of Celia and Pinter.
Celia is the youngest of Hellions and and last unwed child after her grandmother's ultimatum. Always having preferred guns and breeches to beauty and dresses, she is forced to choose between three suitors to appease her grandmother.
To help along her mission, she hires Mr Pinter/ Jackson to investigate them for being suitable husbands.
Jackson is a bow street runner and in process of beco
Mei
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
A good conclusion of the series.
It made me feel good to read how the mistery that goes through all the books was solved!
All the siblings are married and Hetty is too! LOL
Everybody is happy! what more could we want?! *wink*
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
2.5 Liked it well enough. I wanted a bow street runner book, and that's what I got. I like hate-to-love books but this was tooooo much. I just got annoyed at their bickering and was really over it. Sabrina Jefferies is always a hit or miss because sometimes her romance doesn't make much sense.
Caitlin
Yes, I know this is kind of trash. Shhhh.... sometimes you just need a break to read something that's not very taxing o.k.?
SidneyKay
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-regency
Anna's Herding Cats
This. was. the. best. freaking. book! I love the Hellions of Halstead Hall series but A Lady Never Surrenders was by far my favorite. I'd been looking forward for Jackson Pinter's book and damn it was good. Fantastic dynamic between the hero and heroine, full of action and danger, twists and turns, snark, humor and a meddling family. And a romance that'll make a girl envious. Seriously, I loved every single effing page as the last of the Sharpe siblings surrenders to their grandmum's ultimatum o ...more
[̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅]
Susan
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book and conclusion to the Hellions series. Celia is the last of the unmarried Sharpes, and the deadline to meet her grandmother's ultimatum is rapidly approaching. She doesn't want to get married and is actively working to find a way to get out of it. In the meantime, she has picked three possible suitors. The next step is to make sure that there are no secrets in their backgrounds that would derail her plans, so she hires Jackson Pinter to investigate them. Jackson is the Bow Street Runne ...more
Lorka
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Well, it kept my attention well enough, but the heroine was (for me) a bit of a brat. I liked the hero, but for the life of me, I couldn't understand just what it was that he saw in the heroine. She was argumentative, always trying to prove that she could shoot a gun better than anyone else, they would constantly be love/hate/love/hate, no trust going on.... It probably would have helped to feel more engaged in the story if I had have read this book right after book #4, instead of waiting such a ...more
Insh
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
“I see a fairy queen who could destroy a man
with a word or enchant him with a smile.”

was honestly expecting more arguments which would lead to anger sex.....
Cruth
Author: Sabrina Jeffries
First published: 2012
Length: 388 pages, 4662 locations
Setting: 1825, England. Regency-ish.
Sex: Not frequent. Reasonably explicit.
Hero: Bastard son with mysterious paternity. Bow Street Runner.
Heroine: Youngest sister who needs to marry soon. Believes in love.
Series: Book 5 of 5
Includes: Sharpe Family Tree. Excerpt from 'Twas the Night after Christmas by Sabrina Jeffries.

Finally, the ending of this good series.

We'll get to find out who did it!

As the long-dragged-out myster
Holly
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the final installment of the Hellions of Halstead series. I'm sad to see it end. I've enjoyed spending time with the Sharpe family.

I have to say, I was much more bothered by Hettie's interference in this novel. I'm not sure if it's because we got more from her POV, or if her meddling went over the top. While I understood her reasons for being wary of Pinter, it didn't make a lot of sense for her to push him so hard. Especially when it was obvious Celia cared for him.

Aside from that, I
Sue
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Ah, yes, Ms. Jeffries is back in fine form again! It was great fun to watch (er, read about) the staid and proper (and handsome, of course) hero secretly lusting after his elegant lady fair, who of course, he can never have because she is miles above him in social status. And it was great fun to watch her crumble anyway. (I would have!)

I liked this upper class heroine who carried a pistol, spoke her mind, and was a completely incompetent flirt. And I rooted for her middle class, self-made-man o
Shelly
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I have really enjoyed this series, not as much as the School for Heiresses, but still, Jeffries is one of my favorite authors of all time. I have loved the bantering between Celia and Pinter throughout the series, and even though the series is over, I still loved it. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed with how Pinter's storyline with his 'father' turned out, it was a little too neat and convienent for me, but overall an excellent ending to a great series!
Grace
So this was definitely the weakest book in the series. There was quite a bit of inconsistent characterization in this and I think the central romance trope (Pinter vetting Celia's suitors) could have been handled better. But I did like how the series-long mystery plot wrapped up, and overall this series was what I needed to read right now, so I am glad for that.
Froggie
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: year-2016
This is my first time reading Sabrina Jeffries. I liked the plot and the hero with a profession. The mystery solving was interesting even though the ending wasn't as satisfying as I'd have liked. I wish the book had wow'ed me more since the author has a rather large backlist.

Rounded up to 3
Pamela Shropshire
Book 5, and the last of the Sharpe siblings to remain unmarrried is Celia. As the book opens, we know that she is quite a good shot, that she is very close to Gabe, and that she dislikes Jackson Pinter, the Bow Street runner who has been investigating their parents' deaths. He has found evidence proving they were murdered, and is closing in on the killer's ID.

But Celia distracts him by asking him to investigate her suitors. None of the three men courting her are worthy of her, in his opinion, bu
Kathy Davie
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, romance
Fifth in the Hellions of Halstead Hall historical romance series revolving around the Sharpe siblings and the demand their grandmother made of them.

Part of me wants to make it a "4" because it is a good story; the other side of me is too annoyed...so it's a "3".

My Take
Well, the mystery part of it was interesting and I do like strong characters. However, I also like an historical story to pay attention to the time period. It's fashions, manners, mores, and language. Jeffries hasn't done that with
Valerie
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is going to be a short review because I’m in no mood for it!

Loved the twist about Pinter’s father, and the resolution of the heroine’s parents’ murders!

I didn’t quite like the hero all that much 😬 but he was ok. I really liked the heroine.

Nothing that got on my nerves in here, which is rare 😂
Ann
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
another great book by Sabrina Jeffries love Jackson in this book they finally wakes up and realizes that he only wants her for himself
Emma
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gran, girl, you may have taken it too far in this one.
Shasha
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too much drama!
Paraphrodite
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2018
3.5 stars.

So it's finally time for Celia and Bow Street Runner Pinter to get together... and an answer to the question of the Sharpes' parents deaths all those years ago. There's a bit more whodunit in this than the previous books, which is good.

My one problem with the audio is that Justine Eyre gave Pinter the weirdest voice... a veritable turn-off for me.

• Taming an Impossible Rogue (Scandalous Brides, #2)
  • How to Dance with a Duke (Ugly Ducklings, #1)
  • Secrets of an Accidental Duchess (Donovan Sisters, #2)
  • Sunrise with a Notorious Lord (Lords of Vice, #4)
  • She Tempts the Duke (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #1)
  • A Winter Scandal (Legend of St. Dwynwen, #1)
  • The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, #4.5)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • The Capture of the Earl of Glencrae (Cynster, #18; The Cynster Sisters Trilogy, #3)
  • The Duchess Diaries (Boscastle #12; The Bridal Pleasures, #3)
  • Mad About the Earl (Ministry of Marriage, #2)
  • By Love Unveiled (Restoration, #1)
  • My Ruthless Prince (Inferno Club, #4)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • The Pleasure of Your Kiss (Burke Brothers, #1)
  • Trouble at the Wedding (Abandoned at the Altar, #3)
  • How to Ravish a Rake (How To #3)
Sabrina Jeffries is the NYT bestselling author of over 50 novels and works of short fiction (some written under the pseudonyms Deborah Martin and Deborah Nicholas). Whatever time not spent writing in a coffee-fueled haze of dreams and madness is spent traveling with her husband and adult autistic son or indulging in one of her passions—jigsaw puzzles, chocolate, and music. With over 9 million book ...more

Hellions of Halstead Hall (6 books)
  • The Truth About Lord Stoneville (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #1)
  • A Hellion in Her Bed (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #2)
  • How to Woo a Reluctant Lady (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #3)
  • To Wed a Wild Lord (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #4)
  • 'Twas the Night after Christmas (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #6; The Duke's Men, #0.5)
“Love is taking chances when every rational part of you screams, ‘Don’t risk it.’ Because it’s only when your heart has been ripped open that you get a chance to find the one person capable of making it whole.” 34 likes
“You weren't always so...appreciative. When I said that men enjoyed my company, you said you found that hard to believe."

What?" he retorted with a scowl. "I never said any such thing."

"Yes, you did, the day that I asked you to investigate my suitors. I remember it clearly."

"Theres no way in hell I ever..." The conversation came back to him suddenly, and he shook his head. "You're remembering only part, sweeting. You said that men enjoyed your company and considered you easy to talk to. It was the last part I found hard to believe."

"Oh." She eyed him askance. "Why? You never seem to have trouble talking to me. Or rather, lecturing me."

"It's either lecture you or stop up your mouth with kisses," he said dryly. "Talking to you isn't easy, because every time I'm near you I burn to carry you off to some secluded spot and do any number of wicked things to you."

She blinked, then gazed at him with such softness that it made his chest hurt. "Then why don't you?"

-Celia and Jackson”