Start by marking “Gandhi the Man: The Story of His Transformation” as Want to Read:
Gandhi the Man: The Story of His Transformation

Gandhi the Man: The Story of His Transformation

In 1892 Mohandas K. Gandhi was 23 years old, a shy, tongue-tied man whose past was full of failure; 30 years later he was the acknowledged leader of 400 million Indians in their struggle for independence through nonviolent revolution. Gandhi, the Man does what no other book has: it describes the astonishing inner revolution by which M. K. Gandhi became the Mahatma who brou ...more
Published September 9th 1997 by Nilgiri Press (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Gandhi the Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gandhi the Man

Start your review of Gandhi the Man: The Story of His Transformation
S.E. Nelson
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a Gandhi fan, as I am, this is the kind of book you keep on your shelf. It is a lesson in what mankind can achieve if he is willing to do so. Gandhi believed that everyone has greatness in them, and that he wasn't special or different from any other man. Well, after reading the book I believe he was a gift to mankind. The author does a good job of illustrating how Gandhi's background shaped who he became. It's because of him that people like Martin Luther King succeeded. As they say, ...more
Heather
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep wondering if this is actually a five star book because it is one I definitely want to own. We watched the 1982 film about Mohandas K. Ghandi this spring, and it sparked my interest in learning more about him. Ghandi started out as a regular boy and a regular man, and made himself into a mountain of spiritual strength who brought about a bloodless revolution in one of the world's most populous countries. This biography was written as a tribute by the author of my favorite meditation book, ...more
Adriane Devries
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality, eunoia
This journalistic snapshot of the life of Ghandi introduced me to this compelling, endearing man, whose self-discipline and indomitable will over a lifetime enabled him to love his enemies and to seek their own welfare as ardently as his own. His principle of social reform, called Satyagrahi, is based on the Bhagavad Gita, from which he draws direct parallels to Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, and purports that the victim and exploiter are one, rather than contenders who must win at the expense of o ...more
Jacque
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This is a biography of Gandhi. It explains his philosophy of nonviolence and how he used it in South Africa and then in India to help the Indian people in both places win their freedom. I found the book to be very interesting. I had heard of Gandhi in the past but this book made him into a real person and showed me how one person can make a difference.
It also explains the use of nonviolence as used by Gandhi in India and how it can be used today. It can be used in our families or in our workplac
Erin
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I was absolutely thrilled to win a copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads, and simply could not wait to learn more about this remarkable man who has made such an impact on humanity and the world.
The aesthetic quality of the book is simply remarkable. Before I even began reading, I flipped through the glossy pages as I would a photo album, in awe of the large, intimate photos of Gandhi's life. Nearly every photo is graced with Gandhi's own words that reveal compassion, strength, and wi
Samuel
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am ashamed to say that I did not know very much beyond a very fuzzy idea of who Gandhi was: a Hindu-influenced spiritual/political leader who championed a radical concept of nonviolence and civil protest that helped to liberate India from British rule in the mid-twentieth century. For example, I didn't know that he was married at age 14 and that he credits his wife with teaching him the power of love and patience (and he also admits to a shameful past of lustful desires toward her and at times ...more
Andrei Vajna
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short, insightful narration of how Gandhi, a failed lawyer, became absolutely obsessed with changing himself, taking things to extreme in dedicating his life to the service of others. In the end it is amazing that he had such an impact over 400 million people (and even others outside India) promoting non-violence at all costs even in the face of certain death.

What I felt was missing was more details about how he convinced others of his vision. Usually it's only stated that even the harshest opon
Heather
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gandhi the Man is an excellent overview of Gandhi’s life and his push for nonviolent resistance. There are lots of pictures and quotes throughout. I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn a little bit about Gandhi.
Marshall
Feb 23, 2009 rated it liked it
I found this book incredibly inspiring. I feel a little ashamed that I didn't actually know much about Gandhi. I knew of him, but not much about him. I didn't know just how incredibly effective he was, and I didn't understand why he thought passive resistence was such a big deal. I felt like I understood these things after I read this short book. It was very easy to read, only 175 pages in large words, large pictures, and plenty of awesome quotes, and yet it still did a good job at explaining wh ...more
Troy Powell
Great intro to an amazing man and his transformation to the hero we have heard about. It is definitely written by a 'fan', and is, therefore not reflective of the full story of Ghandi's life, which is why I gave it 4 stars. I did like how the author delved into the roots and drivers of the personal transformation Ghandi undertook in order to accomplish the amazing things he did.
Mahmeema Ahmed
Elizabeth Adu
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I was never into biography since my favorite genre is fiction. I always wanted to believe in all the assumptions and imaginative writings of people. Growing up with my grandmother was not easy, since I craved for the attention of both parents most especially my father’s. All these experiences made fiction a good choice of reading material because it made me forget the reality of life and live in the “happily ever after” and so on. So when we were told to read Gandhi the Man, honestly I never wan
Fatema Bhuiyan
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Naimatul Jannat
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book “Gandhi the Man” is a biography about Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi which is written by Eknath Easwaran. In this book the writer wanted to teach people about Gandhi's early life. And how he followed the Bhagavad Gita which helped to transform him into a nonviolent and truthful person. Additionally, the book highlights how we can all use Gandhi’s teachings to make our families and communities better and peaceful in the world.
When I read this book I learned about how Gandhi transformed him
Ana
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have just finished reading a great biography! Gandhi The man, throughout reading this biography it change me in a way of seen things. At first I was not very excited on reading this biography. I didn't know much about Gandhi , all I knew about him is that he was a man that wanted India's freedom. What caught my attention throughout reading this biography was that he was a man that wanted to change himself to change the world. Gandhi wanted to have a complete transformation.

His full name was
ZIRCARMEL Dorcély
Antoinette
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gandhi The Man is quite a book! However, I did not think so when I first saw it. At first, I thought it was all about a man who loved politics and strived to succeed politically, by being corrupt and suppressing his people. I was completely blown away by the man Gandhi. Who would have thought that a book with a boring outlook (in my opinion), can change one’s way of thinking? No wonder a wise man once said, ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover’ .

The book is a compelling Biography of Mohandas Karam
Mim Khanom
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this short biography of the legendary man who is credited with liberating the sub-continent of India, not by leading a war of independence but through the power of satyagraha (non-violence). The book focusses less on providing a detailed chronology of Gandhi's life and more on illuminating the question of how a rather unimpressive and fearful young Indian lawyer transformed himself into the leader of a nation capable of facing up to the oppressive machinery of the British Empire.

The a
Marie

In the beginning when I started reading the book “Ghandi the man”, I saw that it was not really interesting. Each time I read one page or heard the audio, I was aware that it was completely different at than I thought. If I had giving up I am I would not have learned as much as I did. This book is one the most touching biography I have read and can compare to my life.
The book opens with the story of Ghandi early life. His performance as a student evolve with his education. He married at age 1
Soumik Chowdhury
Shikha Mishra
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of all the tangible books I possess, Gandhi the man, is my most prized possession. I read it with an overwhelming heart and an ear to ear smile on my face.

What Mr Easwaran has achieved is, a wonderful portrayal of the father of the nation without bringing politics into it. No other Independence related book have I read, which portrays the idea of Gandhi as clearly as the author mentioned above.

Being an Indian, it makes me proud to have born in a nation where Gandhi walked and was instrumental
Myeisha Azizah
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that has to be read slowly and with determination, with many pauses for looking-off-into-the-distance-deep-in-thought. It took me a long time to get through but I really enjoyed it. Highly recommended.
Khalid Talha
Eric Eskey
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Gandhi smiled. ‘You know nothing about history,’ he corrected gently. ‘The first thing you have to learn about history is that because something has not taken place in the past, that does not mean it cannot take place in the future.’”
_ Eknath Easwaran
Rachel
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd have liked the book better if the whole thing was a biography. I was under the impression that it was. Only the first half of the book is. The second half is how to implement his teachings in your own life and resources and timelines.
Satrio Aji Pramono
The power of non violence movement which eventually changed the world
Jamie
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm embarrassed by how little I knew about this great man and his amazing accomplishments. This is a great intro to Gandhi and his method of peaceful protest.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Gandhi: His Life and Message for the World
  • Albert Einstein: A Biography
  • Gandhi: An autobiography
  • The Discovery of India
  • Long Walk To Freedom (Volume 1: 1918-1962)
  • The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Swami Vivekananda on Himself
  • A Beautiful Mind
  • Revolutionary Suicide
  • Cleopatra: Last Queen of Egypt
  • Gandhi: A Life
Eknath Easwaran (1910–1999) is the originator of passage meditation and the author of more than 30 books on spiritual living.

Easwaran is a recognized authority on the Indian spiritual classics. His translations of The Bhagavad Gita, The Upanishads, and The Dhammapada are the best-selling editions in the USA, and over 1.5 million copies of his books are in print.

Easwaran was a professor of English