Start by marking “The Straight Razor Cure (Low Town, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Straight Razor Cure (Low Town, #1)

The Straight Razor Cure

(Low Town #1)

People can disappear from the streets of Low Town - and the lacklustre efforts of the guard ensure they are never found. But then a missing child, murdered and horribly mutilated, is discovered in an alley. And then another. With a mind as sharp as a blade, the guard is the only man who can find the killer.
Published August 18th 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2011)

Mark Lawrence
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So - I was coming back on the train from my only day out in 8 years (I'd been to hook up with Peter Brett & Myke Cole in London) - a day out on which it must be said my daughter Celyn was hurried back to hospital, so ... I might have to wait another 8 years for the next - and Marc Aplin of fantasy-faction.com said 'Here, read this.' Or something to that effect, and slid a copy of The Straight Razor Cure across the table to me (the title and cover are infinitely better in the UK).

That was Aug
Jeffrey Keeten
This is one of those books that I started reading as a palette cleanser between heavier, denser books. Polansky states that Hammett and Chandler were his inspiration for writing this book. Well alright, I love those guys. The back of the book says:

Drug dealers,
hustlers,
brothels,
dirty politics,
corrupt cops . . . and sorcery.
Welcome to Low Town

Sounds great right?
I've been a life time reader and usually have a pretty good filter. I don't get taken in by hype. I don't get in too much of a hur
Lo9man88
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad for a first novel that has an ugly addict as the main protagonist ,,,
Apart from the warden the other characters are underdeveloped,,,
Although there is magic,it's unclear how it works "Sanderson"spoiled us with his cool magic systems,,,
I knew from the beginning who the culprits were but i was unclear on the motive...
Overall it was a nice read: direct and to the point , i hope the next one is better.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This One Sounds Deliciously Dark Buddy Read (TOSDDBR™) with Cathy and Robin

Actual rating: 2.5 stars.

I read this book because Daniel Polansky = The Builders, which was slightly awesome despite all its characters being silly animals. Hence the present disappointment and current dumbfoundation. The truth is, this little story here has me a teensy bit confused:

۰ I did not like this book.
۰ I did not not like this book.

۰ I may read the next one in the series.
۰ I may not read the next one in the se
Carol.
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Glen Cook, noir mystery
Low Town is one part Abercrombie’s Last Argument of Kings, one part Block’s 8 Million Ways to Die (review), seasoned with enough drug use to power A Scanner Darkly. It was unexpectedly engaging.

The Warden runs the dreamsnake and pixie’s breath drug trade in Low Town, the ghetto area of Rigus.
Low Town was decimated by plague years ago; survivors have grown up, moved on, but still carry the horror of those days with them. The Warden is a street-smart survivor of those years. He went on to survive
Bookwraiths
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, grimdark, library
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

A noir crime story set in a fantasy setting Low Town is a dark tale of drug dealers, realistic politics, corrupt cops, and vile sorcery. And while this is Daniel Polansky’s debut novel, it does not read that way at all, but displays the deft touch of a master storyteller, which is why it is a must read for all fans of grimdark.

In the ugly, dirty, and crime infested section of the finest city in the Thirteen Lands lies Low Town: a place few willing call home. An
Scott  Hitchcock
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dresden, Grimdark & Hellequin fans
2.5*'s.

I'm not a big fan of Noir fiction. It has to be exceptional for me to embrace it. However I love GrimDark and the Low Town series is quite iconic within the genre. I was aware of this going in however I wasn't aware another buddy read I committed to Blackwing by Ed McDonald was also both Noir and Grimdark. The similarities between the two end there, however doing two books of this style at once when I might do one per year was a bit much.

Overall I like the world of this book. I like the
Robin (Bridge Four)
This is the hardest book that I’ve had to rate in a long time.

Actual Writing = 4.5 Stars
Story = sometimes 5 Stars, sometimes 1 Star
Characters = again sometimes 5 Stars, sometimes 1 Star
World = A solid 4 Stars
Pacing = 3 Stars
Me reading this = 2 Stars.

I have no idea what that adds up to really. So for now I’m going to go with 2 Stars since I couldn’t even remember the main characters name.

description

I honestly feel a little bad that I didn’t like this. I mean the writing is there. It is really the type of wr
Bradley
Dirty noir fantasy, featuring drugs, dead children, plague, and revenge, now featuring dirty cops and cocky evil nobles and a crowded world of blades, sorcery, and mystery.

The novel is very successful in its world-building. The place is even more interesting and claustrophobic than the characters, and this is pretty much a character-driven tale where no one is quite good enough. I mean, how heroic is it going to be when a main character is a drug pusher?

And yet, when push comes to shove, deeper
Andy
A lot of polarising reviews from friends on this one, so fingers crossed as we go in!

The story is told as a narrative from the perspective of the hero of the book, his daily life unfolding as we go, after his discovery of a body of a young girl in the opening chapter. We are introduced to the contributing players through contact with our MC, the world being built around us as we slowly picture it.... its enticing for sure. To fill in the missing gaps we have a series of small flashbacks to help
seak
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review, 2011
Low Town is Daniel Polasnky's debut novel - a fantasy that's not completely a fantasy. Told in the first person, Low Town is, and I don't think I'm the first to report, a crime noir story in a fantastical setting. It literally is a crime thriller set in a medieval secondary world...and it's works really well.

Warden is your typical bad-A with a heart of gold. His hard exterior comes from the way the system's treated him, his participation not only in the military, but in the police force, neither
Pavle
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastika
Nije loše, uopšte nije loše.

Detektivski roman smešten u grimdark okruženje, harizmatičan antiheroj (mada mi je već malo muka od šarmantnih protagonista, dajte nam nekog ko ne može da sklopi dve normalne rečenice) i za mene najbitnije: nema ekspozicije. Obožavam kada se detalji sveta prikažu organski, kroz male detalje i suptilnosti u dijalogu, bez većeg info dump-a kojem je fantastika nažalost sklona.

Ko je ubica, to glavno pitanje detektivskih romana, pomalo je očigledno, pa nema nekog većeg i
Twerking To Beethoven
"Low Town" is all right-ish. I thought I would have loved this book. Loved it hard. I mean, "Low Town" is a noir story set in a fantasy world. How can you possibly go wrong? Right.

At the end of the day, i'm sort of... er... unimpressed. Underwhelmed. There are no particular issues, the writing's good and everything's well crafted, there's just something missing. I don't know if I should use this word to describe "Low Town" but I find this book to be "bland."

Sorry. I mean, I really am.
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl)

Buddy read with the Buddies Books and Baubles group starting December 5, 2016.
Jason
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011, e-books
5 Stars
This book has a great deal for noir and dark fantasy lovers to enjoy. It plays along some lines that we have seen done before, but does it in a way without ever selling out or coming up short. This is a fairly dark story and the Warden, our main protagonist is a street kid that has gone bad. Sure he did his stint in the military, and tried to work as a detective with the crown. But, in the end, shit happens, and he is what he is. He has no troubles accepting himself and his shortcomings.
Scott
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
Easily a 5-star read for me.

I guess you could call this book urban fantasy or noir fantasy or mystery, but whatever genre it's in, it's just a great story.

I liked how the author sprinkled in his world building throughout. I never had to wade through pages of info dumps, boring me to tears. It was seamlessly placed throughout while we are being dragged through Low Town by the narrator. Who, by the way, is a bad-ass, smart mouthed, drug dealer with a heart of gold.

Can't wait to read the next an
Robyn
Well-written fantasy noir - dark as you'd expect, with an interesting blend of influences and big things at stake. I enjoyed the main character and am looking forward to the follow ups.
Myke Cole
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic voice. My favorite kind of characters: flawed, struggling, complicated. This is one up there with Scott Lynch and Joe Abercrombie.
Mike (the Paladin)
I am putting this on my Urban Fantasy shelf as well as my Fantasy shelf as I agree with a few others it belongs there. Some of you will I'm sure disagree as the story takes place in an alternate reality of swords, crossbows, and a city roughly like medieval Europe.

But it is placed in a city with the characters being "urban" people.

I picked this up on the strength of a statement by one of the reviewers here who said it was "like" Harry Dresden.

I must be honest. I don't see it....at all. I've not
Matthew
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first stumbled upon Low Town whilst hunting through boxes of second hand books at a garage sale. The title caught my interest, so I looked at the blurb. Detective thriller set in a fantasy world... within seconds I was handing over my money and salivating at the prospect of reading it when I got home. Unfortunately life got in the way for a few weeks, with work and a sick child taking precednece. However when I finally did get around to reading it I was not disappointed!

Low Town is set in a f
Daniel
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vrlo zabavana grim dark detektivska prica. Fino razvijeni likovi koji su manje vise svi ostecene i generalno nema potpuno pozitivnih likova. Isto tako prica drzi paznju i ume da baci neocekivane okrete narocito kod toga ko je glavni krivac. Na tome svaka cast.

Sa druge strane glavni lik je nekako suvise sposoban, iako dobija batine sve sa slomljenim kostima sutradan nastavlja samo sa par modrica i puno gundjana i ima puno problema sa tim da se glavni lik uopste umesa u istragu, totalno ide protiv
Lou
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: september-list
Book Description
Rigus is the greatest city in the Thirteen Lands, a glittering metropolis of crystalline citadels and sumptuous manors, where the gentlewomen hide delicate smiles behind silken sleeves and bored nobles settle affairs of honour with cold steel. But light casts shadow, and in the darkness of the spires the baseborn struggle, eeking out an existence amidst the cast-offs of their betters. This is Low Town, a sprawling warren of side streets and back alleys, of boarded up windows and
Viv JM
I found this a thoroughly entertaining mystery/fantasy tale. The worldbuilding is excellent, but unobtrusive (no lengthy info dumps!) and Polansky has totally nailed the antihero thing - the protagonist is a drug dealer that you somehow trust to Do the Right Thing. It is certainly a fairly dark and sometimes violent tale but never gratuitously so. Yep, I enjoyed this!
KostasAt
8/10

From the beginning of the new millennium, many writers started slowly to turn towards a darker, more gritty and realistic direction, leaving behind the traditional tropes of fantasy that seemed to have worn-out too much, reaching to a point where something fresh and original was needed to revivify the genre - and many did indeed managed it.
In The Strait Razor Cure, the first book of the Low Town trilogy, Daniel Polansky makes his debut taking all these elements - motivated from what all the
GrilledCheeseSamurai
I grew up in the country. Yup...a rural boy. I can't even count how many times I would be ripping down the gravel roads on my BMX and end up flipping over the handlebars, scraping my flesh across all the loose rock and stones. Those dirt rashes were always the worst.

So many times I would come rushing home a bloody mess, a big grin on my face, and hoping my mom wouldn't smack me upside the head for being an idiot while she tenderly dressed and cleaned my wounds.

No matter how much blood, no matter
edifanob
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books, 2011-reads
The Straight Razor Cure is a strong debut and a must read for everyone who is looking for a good blend of detective noir and fantasy where the detective noir elements outbalance the fantasy elements like the supernatural/magic.

For me it was a great read but not my novel of the year because my relationship to the Warden was mostly cold and distant.

Anyway I look forward to the next book by Daniel Polansky.

My full review is now available at Edi's Book Lighthouse

Monica
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

I really enjoyed this dark and gritty fantasy with a highly flawed protagonist/narrator who managed to make me laugh out loud several times. The world building is on a slightly smaller scale, but is still fantastic and unique. The mysterious plot line kept me turning the pages and the twist at the end genuinely surprised me. I cannot wait to get my hands on the rest of the series!
Tracey the Lizard Queen
A short excerpt:

"The woman with the choker slid over, inspecting me with all the subtlety of a dog in heat - it seemed she had no better taste in men than jewelry. Up close she looked like someone better seen from further away. 'I don't believe I've had the pleasure,' she began.
'Are you mad? I had you last year at Lord Addington's spring formal! We went behind his pagoda and I took you from the rear. You said I was the best you ever had!'"

I loved the Warden, I loved the first-person PoV. I love
Chip
Lazy writing, plotting and characterization. Spotted the incredibly predictable (and in the end poorly done) "twist" very early on. Basically a mishmash of a lot of superficial concepts (pulp/noir/mystery/thriller/fantasy) and conventions/cliches (e.g. protagonist is former cop now addicted to drugs (Matt Scudder, anyone?)), but very poorly executed. Not at all worth my time. Only redeeming quality is that occasionally the writer does turn a nice phrase - but that isn't near enough to overcome t ...more
Justin

Tell me if you've heard this one before, ok?  Joe Abercrombie walks into a bar, sits down and orders a whiskey.  He takes a shot and looks down the bar where he sees fellow fantasy author Brandon Sanderson sitting at a table.  Sanderson is laying out a Magic: The Gathering deck and drinking a glass of milk.  Abercrombie, seeing his comrade in arms, stands up and walks over.  They get to talking about this and that, of course Abercrombie tries his best not
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Low Town [Oct 2017] 86 58 Oct 30, 2017 12:36AM
Grimdark Fantasy: (Low Town #1) Low Town [NO spoilers] 39 37 Jan 18, 2016 08:23PM
Grimdark Fantasy: Low Town Trilogy [Spoilers] 18 15 Dec 19, 2015 06:35PM
Grimdark Fantasy: (Low Town #1) Low Town [Spoilers] 50 29 Dec 08, 2015 12:14PM
  • Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc, #1)
  • The Grim Company (The Grim Company, #1)
  • The Incorruptibles (The Incorruptibles, #1)
  • The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind, #1)
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • The Folding Knife
  • Blackdog
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
  • The Desert of Souls (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand #1)
  • Herald of the Storm (Steelhaven, #1)
  • Beyond Redemption (Manifest Delusions, #1)
  • The Unremembered (The Vault of Heaven, #1)
  • The Troupe
  • Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun, #1)
  • The Black Guard (The Long War, #1)
  • The Path of Anger (The Book and The Sword, #1)
  • The Vagrant (The Vagrant, #1)
  • Age of Iron (Iron Age, #1)
Daniel Polansky is the author of the Low Town trilogy, Empty Throne duology, the Hugo-nominated novella The Builders, and A City Dreaming. He can be found in Los Angeles, mostly.

Low Town (3 books)
  • Tomorrow, the Killing (Low Town, #2)
  • She Who Waits (Low Town, #3)
“I remember the lightning in the air, and the lovers bidding goodbye to each other in the streets, and I can tell you what I think. We went to war because going to war is fun, because there's something in the human breast that trills at the thought, although perhaps not the reality, of murdering its fellows in vast numbers. Fighting a war ain't fun - fighting a war is pretty miserable. But starting a war? Hell, starting a war is better than a night floating on daeva's honey.” 15 likes
“The dangerous men were still asleep, their blades sheathed next to their beds. The really dangerous men had been up for hours, and their quills and ledgers were getting hard use.” 9 likes