Start by marking “Better Days and Other Stories (Serenity, #2)” as Want to Read:
Better Days and Other Stories (Serenity, #2)

Better Days and Other Stories

(Serenity #2)

Serenity: Better Days, from Joss Whedon and Brett Matthews, follows everyone's favorite space cowboys in an action-packed adventure, where the crew takes on a heist that promises a big payoff. But when someone is taken captive, the gang must put aside their enduring differences and work together, at the risk of losing their cash prize. Float Out, by comedian Patton Oswalt, ...more
Published August 24th 2011 by Dark Horse (first published August 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Better Days and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Days and Other Stories

Sr3yas
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The second volume of Serenity!

This volume contains one main arc spanning three chapters and three short stories.

The main arc, 'Better days' is just as crazy as a good firefly episode with hunters, a lot of bullets and a mix of western.

I really enjoyed the three short stories because they managed to capture something unique in each one. While one story captured the fun and mysterious side of serenity, another delivered an action packed story! The last one, 'float out' is the first story the write
Cyndi
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I still adore Serenity and her crew! The art in this book is perfect and the story moves along in the series. In ‘Better Days’ our group is accused of terrorism. In ‘The Other Half’ River discovers the bad guy they captured is leading them into a trap. She takes care of it quickly in her usual way. Then in ‘Downtime’ our group is waiting out a snowstorm. They find ways to fill their time. Wash and Zoe in the dark and River ‘knocking over snowmen.’ The last story, ‘Float Out’ is an homage to Wash ...more
Michael
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm loving these graphic novels, it's nice to see these characters developed a little more, even if River is still as complex as ever. Better Days was a great story; all the others were interesting I just think the artwork was lacking in them; though more Wash was good to see.
Nikki
Dec 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
A collection of stories from various points in the timeline of Joss Whedon's Firefly universe. I liked this better than The Shepherd's Tale -- it's still quite vignettey, with Better Days (which I've already read) being the plottiest story, but most of the art is really good and it has some awesome moments. Simon treating Jayne for an STD, for example... It goes exactly as you would imagine, with their flirting bickering and Jayne being an idiot.

The last story is set after Serenity, and confirms
Emily
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always welcome the chance to spend time with the Firefly gang. The stories had different artists and authors, but the collection flowed together nicely and had a nice Whedony zing.
Reading these is a nice way to fill the void left by the show.
Kim
The second volume in the Serenity graphic novels this one contains the story Better Days as well as a collection of other single issue stories. Spread out from before Firefly to after Serenity this adds a lot more to the Firefly universe.

Namely that River is fucked up and that Wash will always be the best character.
Bookish Nessie
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Art: 5⭐
Stories: 5⭐
Jonathan Maas
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good. I am not super acquainted with Serenity, and could get into this. A lot of fun!
Jordan
I mentioned my love of Firefly/Serenity last time, when I reviewed Those Left Behind, didn’t I? Anyway, if you’ve not checked it out yet you really should. Better Days is the second collection of Serenity comics, featuring a three-issue miniseries and (if you get the second-edition hardcover) three other hard-to-find tales to boot.

Most of this volume is set either during the television series or in the interim between the show and Those Left Behind, based on the characters present and their rela
T. Renee Doty
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
These small stories are all very heartwarming. Even though it reads like a string of a slice of the crews life, the writing was so good I just loved reading it.
Chloe
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
As I have mentioned before, I am a huge fan of Firefly and I really enjoyed the graphic novel, Those Left Behind so I was eager to start the next one, Better Days And Other Stories.

As this volume contains multiple stories, I have decided to share my thoughts on each one individually as my opinions on them varied quite a bit.

The main story, Better Days, follows the crew of the Serenity on a heist where the payoff may be more than they were expecting. The plot was fast paced and thrilling, just th
Luv
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
So, Mal just gives up the loot. Hmmm. Inara says it's sweet, someone else might say it's just plain selfish. Another great story regardless. Would love to see River's fantasy come to life. Lol

Got an ache in my heart for Wash's dream though (Like a leaf on the wind). God damned onions
JR Simons
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how I fell about graphic novels. For me, the beauty of a novel is imagining the action in my head as it is described in the writing of a novel. I can still feel the rutted road jostling me about as I read the opening of Dickens' "A Tale of Two Cities;" I can still smell Otik's Spiced Potatoes from the opening of Weiss and Hickman's "Dragons of Autumn Twilight;" and Salvatore's descriptions of Drizzt Do'urden's scimitar battles are as vivid in my head now as they ever were as when I ...more
Carl Nelson
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Nice to see the Dark Horse one-offs published in a volume. Too bad it's a reprint of the previously-published "Better Days" instead of a standalone. "Better Days" is a good story with tight dialog and a good feel for the characters; it's probably my favorite of the three larger Dark Horse comics. "The Other Half" is a good action tale. The artwork in "Downtime" is inferior to the rest but the interplay between River and Book on its final page is good. "Float Out" is my favorite of the extras, an ...more
Kelsey Hanson
This one was interesting but didn't hold my attention as much as some of the other stories. Still it was interesting to see some of the returning characters. As before, the characters are all in character and strongly resemble the actors who portray them. The plots of these stories didn't interest me quite as much.
I really enjoyed these stories. I loved being transported back to the "Firefly" show and seeing some of the other stories that may have taken place between the other episodes. I especially liked seeing a little bit more of River in action (and Shep knowing her secret) and stories about Wash.
Andrew
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think the world of Firefly/Serenity is one of the best for single issues of comics, and this shows it. It's hard to tell a complete, good story in just a single issue, but all of the single-issue stories here showed you can when you've got these great characters in this amazing world.
Amy
nice background on Wash. The rest was kind of more of the same which is to say, perfect for those of us desperately missing the show & material, but otherwise not particularly necessary.
Deanna
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE DISCONTINUED THE FIREFLY SERIES!!!! I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT THIS BECOMING PART OF THE SHOW!!
Jessica
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Firefly <3
Sarah Churchill
Much better than Vol.1, with the one-liners and character interactions I've been waiting for. And Wash! Ugh, Waaaash! D:
Bill
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
I cherish any return to the Firefly 'verse, gorrammit.
Sacha Valero
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
We get four separate and distinct stories in volume 2.

Better Days has the crew actually pulling off a successful job. They steal a spanking new piece of law enforcement equipment and when their buyer can't pay, he tells them about a place with a heap of cash. Lot's of it and this is where Better Days comes in. They tell of how they'd spend the money and go on a much earned vacation, only to have it blown by another gang of thieves.

The Other Half tells of how the crew are running from Reavers wit
Adam Graham
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book collects the three issue story, "Better Days" as well as three shorts published in 2008 and 2010.

In, "Better Days," the crew appears to have struck it rich. However, Inana accidentally puts not only the money, but the crew's life at stake when a client of her's gets under the impression that Mal is a Dust Devil, someone who fought on the war on the side of the Independents and continued to fight using terrorism.

This is a good story that captures the feel of a typical episode of Firelfy
John Shaw
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These books are both wonderful and sad
all at once.
Firefly is one of the most fiercely
loved stories in the SF fandomverse.
The all too short lived TV series
struck a chord with a multitude of fans.
It's tragic early cancellation only deepened
our love for it.
These books, which officially continue
the Firefly story forward come at a cost.
They are incredible but they also just remind us of what we have lost.
But maudlin feelings aside
this is so shiny.
To have new stories, great new stories
of the Serenity
Balazs
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Probably due to the bigger number of contributors this volume turned out to be more eclectic in style than the first book of this series. It had some benefits in the richer style in the artwork but also led some interesting choices - like the the full page images at the chapter beginnings of Better Days.
I also felt that the creators used the tools offered by the medium more bravely which made this book more like a comic and less like a movie adaptation.
The stories were interesting written in th
Rubén Martínez
This was much better than "Those Left Behind", more unpredictable and a better story. The first one felt like an "ok" episode, this feels like a great episode, I was surprised all the way, genuinely suspenseful, it unfolds smoothly, still makes me long for the show more than anything, the reason is not a five star is because I seem better episodes on the tv show, if it would have been shot maybe it would’ve been even better
Sarah Brubaker
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Characters: 7/10
Plot: 6/10
Writing: 6/10
Art: 7/10
This was my first venture into the Serenity graphic novels. I enjoyed returning to the Firefly 'verse, though these adventures felt so small-scale compared to the episodes. Obviously this has to do with the limitations of the format, but I felt like I was only barely getting a taste of what I loved from the show.
Erin
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm still so glad that there is more Firefly for the fans to take in. I do love these characters so much, and would prefer to have more of the show, but I will take what I can get.
I do find that some of the panels are a little quick to jump and the artist asks a little much of the reader when it comes to filling in the blanks. But if you know the show you'll get where they want you to be.
Cliff
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
These are some fun stories about the Firefly and her crew. This is a little bit of an odd collection, since each of the stories takes place at different points in the overall timeline. However, even the last story doesn't require having seen the movie to understand, although *movie spoiler* (view spoiler)

• Downtime (Serenity, #2.3)
  • Serenity: Float Out (Serenity, #2.4)
  • The Other Half (Serenity, #2.2)
  • Dollhouse: Epitaphs (Dollhouse, #1-5)
  • Angel & Faith: Daddy Issues (Season 9, Volume 2)
  • Serenity Found: More Unauthorized Essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe
  • Doomwar
  • Spike, Volume 1: Alone Together Now
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'

Serenity (5 books)
  • Those Left Behind (Serenity #1)
  • The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3)
  • Leaves on the Wind (Serenity, #4)
  • Serenity: No Power in the 'Verse