Start by marking “The Capitalism Papers: Fatal Flaws of an Obsolete System” as Want to Read:
The Capitalism Papers: Fatal Flaws of an Obsolete System

The Capitalism Papers: Fatal Flaws of an Obsolete System

In the vein of his bestseller, Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television, nationally recognized social critic Jerry Mander researches, discusses, and exposes the momentous and unsolvable environmental and social problem of capitalism.

Mander argues that capitalism is no longer a viable system: “What may have worked in 1900 is calamitous in 2010.” Capitalism, utterly
Published June 12th 2012 by Counterpoint (first published November 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Capitalism Papers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Capitalism Papers

Michaela
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book does a magnificent job of finding the middle ground between dry-but-factual academic writing and popular manifesto. The author's strong voice, vivid examples, and clear writing make the book easy to read, but covers his topics thoroughly and gives enough information about his sources to back up his claims. I learned many things I didn't know before, such as the Iroquois Confederacy's influence on the U.S. founders.

I did have to keep putting it down periodically because the
Christy
Aug 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
This is a good start from a great critic, on what ought to be the subject of our time. I'm waiting for the revised edition: see my review at http://dissidentvoice.org/2012/08/six...
Haplea
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
With relatively no redundant content (artificially added pages), this thin book is a powerful recapitulation of the capitalist free market continuous growing in all sectors of the society in favor of the infamous 1% of the population, from the conquest (buying) of political power, to the monopolizing of the economic market in every niche, to the total control of media, to the corrosive corruption of social values (everything is for sale or it will be soon, even children or human organs), to the ...more
Randall Wallace
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
wonderful book. i've read every jerry mander book, they are all great. jerry did a conference a few years back at international forum for globalization called "the end of capitalism" with joel kovel, richard heinberg and many others. this book started at the conference and jerry kept asking questions. this book covers a lot of subjects and gives a lot of reviews of pertinent books and offers lots of facts you don't find elsewhere, rating it five stars by me. my favorite part of the books was the ...more
Bakari
If you have read other books about capitalism and its impact on the environment, much of what this author talks about is not new. But he is one of the few writers who actually names the system of capitalism, instead of just calling it the “free market”. The Capitalism Papers is a very cogent analysis of the impact of capitalism on the environment and the deep class divide the causes. The author provides adequate evidence for why capitalism is indeed an "obsolete system."

In the last c
Gus diZerega
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
An excellent overview of why capitalism (as opposed to market based economies of different sorts) is destructive at many levels. Chapters include discussing its amorality, ecological destructiveness, propensity to support war, destruction of democracy, disconnection from human happiness, and more. A brief final chapter looks at alternative possibilities.

It's major flaw, a significant one for me, was its unrelenting playing the "aint it awful" card. Thank the Gods for the final chapter, brief as
Bill
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This a very good summary of the current critique of the dominant economic system. If you follow this topic, there is not much new here but it collects a lot of information in one place. I was hoping for more discussion of what is next and while some ideas are mentioned they are not flushed out in detail.
Joel Martin
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thought provoking central thesis that seems so simple, yet very difficult to argue against.
Matt Styles
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I did enjoy the book and it's analysis of capitalism, although I think it lacks referencing, (particularly harvard referencing) which makes me think alot of it is opinion based but that's probably just preference on my part.
Such a broad range of topics covered, I lost my way a little towards the end. Still an excellent and informative read.
Brian Murray
Mar 30, 2016
Lirazel
Mar 13, 2016
asiddha
rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2017
Helen
May 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• Illusion of Free Markets
  • What Every Environmentalist Needs to Know about Capitalism: A Citizen's Guide to Capitalism and the Environment
  • Ecological Economics: Principles And Applications
  • Plenitude: The New Economics of True Wealth
  • America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming Our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy
  • Confronting Collapse: The Crisis of Energy and Money in a Post Peak Oil World: A 25-Point Program for Action
  • The Bridge at the Edge of the World: Capitalism, the Environment, and Crossing from Crisis to Sustainability
  • Think Like a Commoner: A Short Introduction to the Life of the Commons