Start by marking “Where He Belongs (Belonging, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Where He Belongs (Belonging, #0.5)

Where He Belongs

(Belonging #0.5)

The hottest name in network news is Daniel Halstrom. He is a sensation, a rising star. He is also a slave, owned wholly and completely by NewWorld Media.

But before he was a star, he was a frightened child from a bad place with a promising, if limited, future ahead of him. In "The New Kid", young Daniel begins his schooling. Then, for a slave, the simple pleasure of a "Bath
Published July 1st 2011 by Storm Moon Press (first published June 28th 2011)

Start your review of Where He Belongs (Belonging, #0.5)
Trio
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, and powerful enough to dredge up all the emotions of Anchored.
Martin
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was really good!

Several little snippets of the live of Daniel from Anchored, told through the POVs of several people in his life: a fellow slave who shares quick intimacies with him whenever their supervisor isn't looking, his handler Tim who has a soft spot for him and Daniel's first encounter with the slave who will forever be the love of his life.

It's a wonderful addition to Anchored and given it's a collection of shorts, it's very powerful!

5 Stars!
Elena
RE-READ:

A great intro to Anchored .

I loved Daniel the first time I read both Where He Belongs and Anchored and now I want to read the whole Belonging series so the re-encounter with Daniel was definitely due... ;)
Gyn
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Where He Belongs contains a series of short stories that set up the characters and the world for Haimowitz's Belonging series. I recommend reading the Prologue at the end of this book first and follow that with the short stories.

PROLOGUE

Daniel was born into the world a piece of property, not a human being. He spent the first 11 years of his life under the leather strap of his cruel and sadistic Mistress as she attempted to teach him the reality of his position in the world as a slave. Until the
CAS
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthologies
If I weren't already a fan of Rachel Haimowitz I would have picked this one up right after I finished salivating over the amazingly beautiful cover. How can anyone resist that face? With any story written by Rachel you CAN judge a book by its cover. I have read all but one of her backlist and I'm only holding out on that as I wait for its sequel so that I can read them together. 'Where He Belongs' is on my keeper shelf right along with the first book in this series, 'Anchored: Belonging' and bot ...more
Carole-Ann
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-yummies
With many thanks to Rachel Haimowitz I received this paperback as a freebie (although I had previously bought the e-book from ARe!).

All I can say is that I was terribly moved by the 5 short vignettes about Daniel, a slave to the InfoGlobe company. Each story shows elements of Daniel's enslavement and his demeanour towards the people he meets; they also introduce various characters whose interactment with him graphically describe the world in which he lives. IMO his docility is disturbing, but no
Heather C
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I’m not really sure how to review this at all.

First off, it was suggested to me that I read this collection prior to reading Anchored since it actually occurs before Anchored. This is a series of life snippets of a young slave named Daniel, who I presume will be the MC in Anchored? I’m not yet sure, but I hope that some of the other characters that were introduced here will also play a role in Anchored.

Also, make sure you read the Anchored Prologue located near the end of this book before star
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, mm
What an interesting series introduction! This really helped me begin to grasp the makeup of this society and understand how things are for the slaves, companions, freemen, etc. It took me a little while to really come to grips with how things are here, and I really liked having this set up to prepare for the first book, which I am now eager to begin.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great set of shorts about Daniel. Interesting and let me get to know him better. Now I have to go back and re read Anchored (Belonging, #1) by Rachel Haimowitz which was an awesome book! ...more
Alex
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Notice: While many people who read this book will be reading it after Anchored, I read it before.
Overall
Whenever I read a story that I either really enjoyed or didn't expect to enjoy, I never know what to say. I don't want to gush over it, because I hate giving high expectations that could lead to disappointment--not because the story isn't good, but because the expectations were so high.

That being said, I did enjoy this collection of five short stories, two chapters from Anchored, and a selecti
Adara
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
These are vignettes that introduce us to some of Daniel's past and give us some insight into the Belonging universe. Most of them are from the POV of people he knows, but the last two are from Daniel himself. These stories end at around 74%, and the rest of the pdf is the first chapter of Anchored and a look at Counterpunch.

I think readers will get more impact from Anchored by reading it first. I think the impact would be softened some by reading this first because part of Anchored's impact is
Mandy Anne
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
How I wish this were longer! This collection of shorts from the Belonging world is digested too quickly, but it does a great job in whetting the reader's appetite for more. I really enjoyed Anchored, but there is no question that these stories help flesh out the world more fully. I found it interesting to read about Daniel from other's perspectives, and I think this helps to understand his behavior in Anchored a bit better. Finally, the purchase price of this collection is worth it just for the ...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
This is a collection of vignettes from the Belonging universe. I was fascinated by the world set in the book Anchored and these shorts give a glimpse into Daniel's life before he became an anchor. I would say that there's almost more insight and poignancy in these vignettes than in the whole book, because in Anchored the violence has much more impact and it makes you cringe, keeping you a bit distant from the emotions of the characters. ...more
Eed99
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book which is a collection of short snippets or Daniel's life prior to Anchored.

I don't think this is at all a happy book-I think its content was disturbing but then given the fact that it involves slavery in a modern setting, it would hardly be anything but disturbing.

It does give some insight into Daniel's character as we see him in anchored and in general exposes the cruelty built into the dystopian world Haimowitz has created.

I recommend this book for anyone who has rea
Dee Wy
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you loved Anchored, you will appreciate the several shorts by Rachel to give you a little more insight into Daniel's life. These felt like they may be scenes that were edited out of the original book.

Also included is a short intro to Counterpunch by Aleksandr Voinov that was very intriguing, enough so to make me want to buy the book when it comes out November 2011. Though I loved this short collection of stories, it felt like a promotional piece.
Sasha Conte
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved Anchored and Counterpoint (also by Rachel Haimowitz), so I pre-ordered this collection of short stories from the Anchored universe and waited, breath abated, for it to be available...

Totally worth it. The only negative thing I have to say is that I wish it were longer!!! Can't wait for the next installment... ; P
Sassafrass
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm not exactly sure how to rate these. I liked the stories. They were like little glimpses into Daniel's life prior to Anchored. But they were just that. little glimpses. Some were better than others. I particularly liked the first two stories. I'll keep thinking about it and report back later.
Aija
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Aija by: Volya
Shelves: own
Delicious! ^^

I give this 5 stars 'cause it's rare enough when I find books that I swallow whole. :D I didn't even properly start on this when it was already over.. And as good snacks often do, they left me craving for more!
S.M. Johnson
Mar 25, 2012 rated it liked it
A prequel sequence...

This series of short stories featuring Daniel from Anchored was good, although none of them had the stand alone quality that I most appreciate from shorts.
Dreamer
Prequel of short stories about Daniel prior to 'Anchored'..
Sammy Goode
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Where He Belongs is a short collection of vignettes all centered round a main character, the slave Daniel. What this collection of short stories does is give us a glimpse of Daniel through the years. Each one reveals a little bit about his life, from his arrival as a wounded illiterate boy who is taken in hand by a then 12-year-old Marcus (The New Kid), to a glimpse into the hidden and frantic sexual life of a slave (Bathroom Break), and onto his first job, which is actually a punishment given b ...more
Lorenz S
Isn't the purpose of a prequel to explain to the readers (audience for movies) why things are in their current state? Or that a prequel is written because it is interesting enough to be told? Well, I get nothing of that sort from these vignettes.

What point there is in telling—despite its fluid prose—Daniel's past with Marcus who has nothing to do in
The book, however, includes a prologue to Anchored that you can't find in the latter (if my assumption that all editions do not have one is correct). Hence, that is something you might want to take a look at. ' rel='nofollow noopener'>
Lee
Jul 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Well I did it again...I don't know why, just a screw-up on my part I guess. I didn't know that Where He Belongs is the prequel to Anchored. Now that I know that I feel a little better about Where He Belongs because as a standalone book; not so good. Hopefully when I read Anchored a lot of the pieces will start to fall in place.

I'm hesitant to rate this book until I read Anchored because I'm hoping that when I'm through with it I'll have a better liking for Where He Belongs. So for now I'll give

Jane (PS)
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
3.5 stars.

I found this a bit disturbing - the whole slave thing. It was very realistic and probably too close to a possibility for me to dismiss as sci-fi/steampunk, whatever sub-genre needed to properly distance myself. The modern-day slave is not a concept I would normally choose to read, but I did enjoy it finding out about Daniel's formative years; they were skillfully portrayed through rather mundane encounters. I now want to know if Daniel finds some measure of peace in his new, more extre
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Gives a bit of insight to Daniel before Anchored. I'm glad to see that I am right that Daniel's been a slave since he was born. One reviewer argued heatedly that he wasn't a slave until he was 3 or so. According to this short story collection, he'd been a slave for 11 years and he was 11 years old. According to my math skills...this means he was a slave all his life. *HAH!*

Anyway, it seems Daniel's history with Victor is a tantalizing tidbit that we won't ever fully learn about.
Matthew
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
A collection of very short stories of Daniel's relationships. This may give some valuable background for reading Anchored, but it is barely a teaser and doesn't really have enough flesh to stand on its own. It would be nice if some of this background material had been included in the book, but it isn't really satisfying on its own. I was hoping for more of Daniel's story and not just a series of hints of his personality.
Beck
This was a fairly uninspiring & unnecessary prequel to Anchored ... it didn't actually clarify or expand on the knowledge gained by reading Anchored so I'm a bit disappointed. ...more
FlibBityFLooB
I think that it is better to read this after Anchored, even though it technically is a prequel... ...more
Lily
A short collection of scenes from Daniel's life before the start of Anchored: Belonging.
Alaina Maxam
this book was ok but kinda left you wanting more.

• Axel's Pup (Werewolves & Dragons, #1)
  • Shattered Heart
  • Resistance (Power Play, #1)
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • Prince's Master (Masters #1; Calluvia's Royalty, #4)
  • Amos y mazmorras: Primera parte (Amos y mazmorras, #1)
  • Love of the Egoist (Egoist #1)
  • The Submissive (Submissive, #1)
  • Slave (Finding Anna, #1)
  • Lost and Found
  • Owned and Owner
  • Masterpiece
  • Safeword Quinacridone (Safeword, #5)
  • Safeword Matte (Safeword, #2)
  • Another Way (Another Way #1)
  • The Journal (Her Master's Voice, #1)
  • An Unlocked Heart (Collars and Cuffs, #1)
  • Room at the Top (Room at the Top, #1)
M/M erotic romance author, freelance writer and editor, sadist with a pesky conscience, shamelessly silly, proudly pervish. I'm a twitter addict (@rachelhaimowitz), and I blog every M/W/F at Fantasy Unbound. To learn all about my current and upcoming projects, please stop by my website. I love to hear from folks, so feel free to drop me a line anytime at metarachel (at) gmail (dot) com. ...more

Belonging (4 books)
  • Anchored (Belonging, #1)
  • Counterpunch (Belonging, #2)
  • Staged (Belonging, #3)