Start by marking “Counterfeit Gospels: Rediscovering the Good News in a World of False Hope” as Want to Read:
Counterfeit Gospels: Rediscovering the Good News in a World of False Hope

Counterfeit Gospels: Rediscovering the Good News in a World of False Hope

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  190 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The biblical gospel is like a three-legged stool: a story that climaxes with an announcement which births a community. Deny one or more of these components and you have a counterfeit. Counterfeit Gospels exposes six common versions of the "good news" that fail to do justice to the biblical portrait and thus leave us impoverished rather than empowered for ministry. By expos ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Counterfeit Gospels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counterfeit Gospels

Kara
I've been following with great interest blogger Trevin Wax's research and writing about the gospel on his blog, Kingdom People, for months. So I was thrilled to have the opportunity to read a pre-release copy of his new book, based on what he's learned: Counterfeit Gospels: Rediscovering the Good News in a World of False Hope.

The premise of the book is that "counterfeit gospels"-ways of thinking and speaking about the good news that are diluted or distorted-are the biggest threat to the church t
John
[Originally post at http://tgcreviews.com/reviews/counter...
]

As I sit to write this review, it is the day after we all stayed up late to listen to President Barack Obama announce the death of Osama bin Laden. The announcement stirred afresh discussions amongst Christians on judgment, hell, and whether Christians should rejoice over the death of the wicked. But it was also the same day I, and many of my friends, received word that a close and cherished Christian brother had died of cancer. Trevin
Homeschoolmama
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me awhile to finish this book, but not b/c it wasn't good, but b/c there was so much truth and depth in it, that it took me awhile to take it all in.

This is an excellent reference book, though it isn't solely that. I was drawn to it when I read a blog post of Trevin Wax. He is a young guy, and despite his youth (!) he has the wisdom of the old :-)

In this book, Wax describes in depth the various counterfeit messages in the world that pass as The Gospel. The counterfeits are rampant, insid
Aaron Cerda
There are a lot of books written on the topic of the gospel. Most of them get it wrong; and they get it wrong in one of the six ways Trevin Wax describes in Counterfeit Gospels.

Wax begin his book by contrasting the six counterfeit gospels with the real thing. The real gospel, Wax argues, consists of three legs. The first leg is the gospel story which contains the narrative from creation to redemption and sets the context for the second leg. The second leg is the gospel announcement which proclai
Greg Judy
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do you identify a precious stone from a cheap imitation? You have to know what the real thing looks like. There are many cheap imitations of the Gospel. But there is only one true Gospel: the good news of Jesus Christ. Trevin Wax discusses and compares the true Gospel to the fake ones in his book "Counterfeit Gospels: Rediscovering the Good News in a World of False Hope". Wax exposes six common counterfeit gospels that are common in churches today.

The "therapeutic gospel" teaches that human
Harold Cameron
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Rediscovering the Good News In a World of False Hope”

“What if the biggest danger to the church of Jesus Christ is not blatant heresy, the moral failures of church leaders, persecution, the rise of Islam or the loss of our rights? What if the biggest threat is counterfeit gospels within the church, ways of thinking and speaking about the good news that lead to a gradual drift from the truth of Scripture?

The gospel is like a three-legged stool. There's the Gospel Story - the grand narrative of S
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Don't confuse the gospel with the effects of the Gospel." writes Keven Wax. Elsewhere he notes that, "…Christianity is not a scheme of morality, nor a plan for social and political change, and organizations which propose improvements along such lines are only 'tinkering with the problems. We may be made better men, but before we can face God we must be new men." So many churches today don't believe that the Gospel, as given in God's Word, is right for today. They think that it needs to be updat ...more
Jennifer Wilson
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It isn’t often that I don’t fly through a book. I like to immerse myself in its pages, and leave a day or two later. There are only two reasons I don’t do that -- one is because I don’t like the book, or secondly, it is so filled with truth I can’t read it quickly or I’ll miss something. Counterfeit Gospels was the latter. Each chapter brought eye-opening revelations about how things have always been done and how the Bible presents truth.

Using the analogy of a three-legged stool, Tevin Wax expla
Matthew
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The gospel.

As believers, it should be foundational to our understanding of God, the world, and ourselves. We ought to be able to explain it anytime we need to, strive to live out its truths daily, and we ought to be able to point out error when a false version of it is proclaimed (and be able to use scripture to explain why). Unfortunately, this is not always the case. This is why I’m thankful for books like Counterfeit Gospels by Trevin Wax.

Wax wrote Counterfeit Gospels to address what he feels
Mariejkt
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Counterfeit Gospels by Trevin Wax is about naming the six major false gospels out there and countering them with the true Gospel. The six false gospels he writes about is the therapeutic, the moralist, the activist, the judgmentless, the quietest, and the churchless gospel I probable read this book a lot slower than I should but I wanted to let it soak in. Unlike some discernment books I have read where they just point out the false gospels out there and never point us to the true Gospel of Chri ...more
Edythe Hamilton
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, you will learn the threefold crisis in the Church is the lack of Gospel confidence, Gospel clarity, and the Gospel community. The Gospel Story, Gospel Announcement, and Gospel Community are referred to as the three-legged stool.

To understand the Gospel, Mr. Was explains, you must know the back-story in order to apply the teachings in the current era. He states, “we must keep the Gospels grounded in history.” He also asks the question, “What is the Gospel Story?” Then it is broken d
Big Mike Lewis
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It can be very difficult to describe the mistakes and differences in why a theological proclamation may not be the Gospel of Jesus Christ. There can be subtleties that may make it sound nice and good, but it might be missing parts or the entirety of the Gospel. Counterfeit Gospels by Trevin Wax is a great book that explains the difference between these counterfeits and the true Gospel embodied in Jesus.

Wax takes six of the most common counterfeits and takes us step-by-step through the good, the
Craig Hurst
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book on the gospel and an examination of 6 competing false gospels within our society and the church.

Wax presents a three legged stool approach to the gospel. First, there is the "story" of Scripture as creation, fall, redemption and consumation. This story provides the backdrop for all the events of Scripture and God's working in the world to bring about salvation. Second, within the middle of the story is the "announcement" if Jesus Christ. Jesus is the one whom the story is ab
Phillip Cole
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even with the goodness of the gospel, and what Jesus did for us, the church has been infiltrated with fakes. Different teachings, ones that look good on the surface, but are false, have become prevalent among Christians. Trevin Wax tells how these have lead to false hope in Counterfeit Gospels.

The gospel itself is still true, and still needs to be shared, but we must know the truth about it. Wax begins by telling how the gospel contains the story, announcement, and community. These parts are equ
Norma
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as passing counterfeit currency around can undermine a government, passing around counterfeit gospels can undermine Christianity.

Trevin goes on to explain the three prongs of the gospel and how to truly understand the true gospel. He points towards Biblical references to show how certain gospels that people take as being true are in fact counterfeit gospels. And he shows us how to find the truth.

This book really opened my eyes. I know that the Bible has been translated into many different v
Brian
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book about the many different false Gospels that are so prevelant in the Christian community today. Trevin starts by explaining what a true Gospel involves: The Gospel Story (telling us where we currently are in our relationship with God), The Gospel Announcement (telling us what God has done to fix the problem through Christ, and includes our response to that work of God), The Gospel Community (How that leads us to our involvement in God's Community - the local church). H ...more
William Dicks
Trevin Wax has written a very clever book in that while this book deals with counterfeit gospels, in essence heresies, he deals with the sophisticated counterfeits, not the obvious ones like Arianism (Jehovah's Witnesses), Modalism (Oneness doctrine denying the Trinity), etc.

This book deals with several counterfeit gospels such as:
Therapeutic gospel
Judgmentless gospel
Moralist gospel
Quietist gospel
Activist gospel
Churchless gospel

It is indeed a book for everyone to read. It is an easy read, but v
Erik Reed
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is such a great tool for those who want to be refreshed in the gospel and for those who are asking "what is the gospel?" Trevin does such a great job of teaching the gospel, yet helping people to identify the counterfeit gospels that run rampant in our culture. This book can be used for a small group bible study or as a seminar in a church. As a pastor, I have found myself using many of the nuggets contained in this book with others as I have counseled and spoke with them about the gos ...more
Kj
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
An excellent book on the dangers of 'counterfeit' gospels in our churches. They're not the obvious explicit heresy that you expect, and many times I realised as I was reading through that I had fallen for the counterfeits.
This book is gently challenging, reminding you of the one true gospel and highlighting areas where it's easy to slip, without condemning. A refreshingly lovingly written look at the false gospels so many are deceived by.
If I could give this book six stars I would.
Chuck
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I loved the book. Clearly there are multiple, even good intentioned, forms of the Gospel that do not represent that Gospel correctly. I was, however, disappointed in a few places where I felt Wax used a very superficial view of the message some proclaim. This allowed him to label their message counterfeit without really looking at the whole of the message. Choosing one or two comments out of the whole of their context, makes any assumption possible and any assessment dubious.
David Toma
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gospel
A great book and one that I intend on referring back to. A great resource for those who are committed to the true gospel.

Trevin's prayer in the last paragraph is a fitting end to this book:

"I pray this book will not be seen as the last word on the gospel or on the counterfeits that vie for our attention, but that it will be a helpful addition to the ongoing reflection on the gospel and its power to change our lives."
Sean
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume is a great discernment-builder for the church, as it explains to God's people the various ways in which we can distort the message of the gospel. Some of the author's analysis may be a bit simplistic, but to dwell on this criticism is tantamount to nitpicking. A very good read, and highly recommended.
Stephen
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although according to Trevin I'm busily perpetuating a false gospel in regard to my view of god's judgment and hell (we'll agree to disagree on that one), I can heartily recommend this book for a simple and elegant analysis of many of the trends that are leading people astray in today's church and society. The capsule summaries of ideas in graph format alone are worth the price of admission.
Marco
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very accessible and easy to read. You won't find any substantive depth about the application of Christ death. For example, very little is stated about justification, the nature of sanctification, or believer's future glorification. . This book, however, is tremendous in exposing Christians, both young and old, with a clear view of the gospel.
Andrew Shank
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity, 2016
Very good. Great summary of the gospel story/announcement/community, and then teasing out of the various ways we over- or under-empasize one or the other and get pulled off center.
Jan Marquart
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've put a review of Counterfeit Gospels on Goodreads and Amazon. Please read my review there.
Karen
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
The gospel is such a powerful, dynamic thing - why do we settle for counterfeits? Definitely recommend this one.
Daniel Pandolph
  • Don't Call it a Comeback: The Old Faith for a New Day
  • Note to Self: The Discipline of Preaching to Yourself
  • Gospel Wakefulness
  • The World-Tilting Gospel: Embracing a Biblical Worldview & Hanging on Tight
  • The Gospel Call and True Conversion (Recovering the Gospel)
  • Evangelical Theology: A Biblical and Systematic Introduction
  • The Greener Grass Conspiracy: Finding Contentment on Your Side of the Fence
  • The Next Story: Life and Faith after the Digital Explosion
  • Gospel: Recovering the Power that Made Christianity Revolutionary
  • Am I Really a Christian?
  • Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus
  • The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World
  • Growing Your Faith: How to Mature in Christ
  • Practicing Affirmation: God-Centered Praise of Those Who Are Not God
  • Tempted and Tried: Temptation and the Triumph of Christ
  • Church Membership: How the World Knows Who Represents Jesus (9marks: Building Healthy Churches)
  • Gospel-Centered Discipleship
  • Creature of the Word: The Jesus-Centered Church
Trevin Wax is the Bible and Reference Publisher for LifeWay Christian Resources. A former missionary to Romania, Trevin hosts a blog at The Gospel Coalition and regularly contributes to The Washington Post, Religion News Service, World, and Christianity Today, which named him one of thirty-three millennials shaping the next generation of evangelicals. His previous books include Counterfeit Gospels ...more
More about Trevin Wax...