Start by marking “Life Lessons (Life Lessons, #1)” as Want to Read:
Life Lessons (Life Lessons, #1)

Life Lessons

(Life Lessons #1)

Tony Hart's life has been quiet lately. He has good friends and a rewarding teaching job. Then the murdered body of another teacher falls into the elevator at his feet, and Tony's life gets a little too exciting.

Jared MacLean is a homicide detective, a widowed father, and deeply in the closet. But from the moment he meets Tony's blue eyes in that high school hallway, Mac c
Published May 3rd 2011 by MLR Press (first published May 1st 2011)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*CRAZY steal today! Get this book FREE from MLR press, 12/22/14 ONLY! Don't miss out!! http://www.mlrbooks.com/Special.php*

**4.5 stars**

THIS, folks, THIS is why Kaje Harper is an autobuy for me! I loved the freaking heck out of this story! I feel like crying because it is over and now I have to drop the big bucks to buy this whole series!!

description

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Kaje Harper just writes the kind of stuff I love to read! My taste= Kaje Harper. I actually didn't think I would li
Baba
REVIEW COMPLETED AUGUST 9, 2012

Mac lay quietly for a long time, drifting, breathing the scent of Tony's hair. He had never done this before, never felt safe enough to sleep in the same bed with a man, never wanted to just hold someone and make the world go away.

Photobucket

The book title is perfect. Mac, the closeted cop, has yet to learn a very important lesson: his coming out. It won't happen in Life Lessons though, but I'm pretty sure he will have his coming out in the sequel. His reasons for being cl
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
description

“Life Lessons” is the first installment in Kaje Harper’s series “Life Lessons”.

This was my second book by this author and I’m pleased to say it was as good as the first one. “Life Lessons” has everything I enjoy in a book – solid plot, great dialogue, endearing characters and most of all fantastic writing. Needless to say, I was hooked from the beginning.

Anthony ‘Tony’ Hart is a high school English teacher. He loves his job and he’s a dedicated teacher. He’s out and proud and everyone from schoo
Ingie
4 Big Stars - a brilliant start to this series.
Good crime and suspense, it's nicely told about attraction and it was also very emotional and believable with very good material to build on, ...this lady is already in love in Tony & Mac.

Final review September 18, 2013

You who know me know that I nowadays just love guys who love guys and these two main characters were so fine together. It was a little slow at first but in the end so believable with a sense of authenticity. I yearn to follow the
Susan
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it

Solid 3.5 stars

I'm very predictable. Give me a book about a closeted cop and a charming love interest, throw in some steam, and a little bit of suspense and you've got me. (Adrien English, Cop Out, Shattered Glass, Point of No Return...heck, make it 2 closeted cops and even better: Cut & Run, Common Ground)

"Life Lessons" had everything I like in an easy-to-read book: likable characters, sweet chemistry, drama, blood, and fun, flirtatious banter. Tony and Mac "played" their roles perfectly an
Shelley
Life lessons ticks all the right boxes for this type of book. You know what you’re getting once you've read the synopsis and it’s all there.

Closeted Hot Cop  photo Tick_zpsfc075f6d.jpg

Suspense  photo Tick_zpsfc075f6d.jpg

Whodunit crime solving  photo Tick_zpsfc075f6d.jpg

Steaming chemistry  photo Tick_zpsfc075f6d.jpg

Attention-grabbing plot line  photo Tick_zpsfc075f6d.jpg

Happy for now ending  photo Tick_zpsfc075f6d.jpg

Kids who tug at the ole heart strings  photo Tick_zpsfc075f6d.jpg

Bonus epilogue  photo Tick_zpsfc075f6d.jpg

Yup, it’s all here and I should have nothing to moan about really, it’s all standard stuff and done well. No stupid dramatics from the MC’s as they both hold their own while manning up in
Macky
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This great story worked on every level, as a murder/mystery it was suspenseful and really well plotted and as a m/m romance it ticked all boxes too. When schoolteacher Tony Hart finds a murdered colleague in the school elevator, his life is altered forever, not just by the crime but because he's thrown him into the path of deeply closeted policeman Jared Maclean or Mac as he's normally known.

This isn't an insta love although the attraction is there at the beginning, simmering for a while before
LenaRibka
Oct 18, 2013 rated it liked it

3,5 stars

It was my first of Kaje Harper, but for sure not the last one. I like her writing and it could be a solid 4 stars book for me if I wouldn't have had some problem with the plot.
But as always I'd like to underline-it is my personal feeling and you can have a different opinion.

What I liked:

* Mac. I have a weak spot for a closeted cop. I've met so many of them in my last books that I ought to get tired of this kind of story, but I am not. You can always have me with it. *shy sigh*

* Tony
Tina
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime

I love reading m/m romances with a dose suspense and crime and 'Life Lessons' provided me with everything.

It's about Tony Heart, a high school teacher who lives a quiet life of an out and proud gay man. One night a colleague stumbles dying in his arms. The investigating detective is the closeted Jared Maclean. He becomes instantly interested in Tony, but he is reluctant to let anyone in on his secret. Suddenly the murderer threatens Tony and the life of both men changes rapidly...

The first half
Deeze
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This was my first book by Kaje Harper, and I’m happy to say it will not be my last.

This is what I refer to as a real book. There is plenty of story here. At times quite exciting, definitely full of mystery, and the romance is a strong slow build.. The main characters are both people I want to learn more of. The kids were not in the story as much as I would of liked, but the part with them was one of the most believable kid portrayals I’ve seen in quite a while.

I’m so glad I have the next book li
Breann

BRAINSHARING ALERT! I basically feel the same exact way as my lovely friend, Natasha, does about this book.

It was fun and sweet and hot, but nothing I haven’t read before.

I mostly liked it, and I especially liked Tony. He’s a great character who (I think) deserves someone better than Mac. Even so, they’re a great couple. One that I’m rooting for and will definitely be reading more about.

What I mostly didn’t like was Mac. I had one huge, glaring issue with him: his job and how he lets
Natasha
3.5 STARS!
This was good. Yep, it was good.

I enjoyed this book. It was cute and fun.
There were parts that made me really sad... like Marty's death, which I felt got maybe a little under-looked? Like, the guy died and no one focused on that a lot in the book, and he was a pretty enjoyable character. Even Tony seemed kind of a little "Meh" about it. I don't know. Some parts maybe dragged a little, tiny bit? Like the ending?
Some parts of the book didn't make sense to me either. And the killer was re
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to ❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧ by: Jacq ~
Hot Damn!

4 Fab stars...Why...because...This fitted my today's mood fabulously!

❤Great writing,
❤Great romance,
❤Great smex'in,
❤Great plot!.
❤Great pacing

Ami
This is one of books I must thank my friends in Goodreads for. When I first read the blurb and a couple of early reviews, I was wary about the "HFN" ending. So I postponed the idea to get it. But then the sequel came out and it seemed to be better and the reviews for this were already good, so I thought, "heck, let's give this one a try"

And MY, what a treat!! I love mystery/thriller on top of romance and Life Lessons offers me just that. The first chapter already grips me, with Tony finding the
Lauraadriana
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Smitten, that is what I am with this couple. I loved this story and I LOVED Mac and Tony.

This book came very highly recommended by many GR friends and they were right. It is a great story.

Tony Hart is a high school teacher that accidentally stumbles into a murder in progress. One of the others teachers has been stabbed and Tony is the one who finds the man as the killer is getting away.

Detective Maclean comes to the scene, Mac is DEEPLY in the closet, but he can't help looking and looking at To
Marte - Thunderella

**** 4 enjoyable stars ****

A great book with great characters. I really liked Tony and Mac, and their developing relationship. I liked the mystery and the suspense, even though I could spot the bad guy a mile away. I liked the tension and suspense the last part of the book brought, with the (view spoiler). It wasn't fun, you know, but it brought a lot of suspense to the story, so the last part of the book just flew by.

There are more books in this
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.5 Undercover Lover Stars***

I loved Kaje Harper's book The Rebuilding Year and should have known that this one wouldn't disappoint! I'm beginning to feel that Kaje and I are about to embark on a serious love affair.

I devoured this book practically in one sitting. There's just something about Kaje Harper's writing that is so effortless. It feels real, authentic and true to both the story and characters. Everything flows so naturally that you don't even realize how far you've come and how dee
Bev

First book in the Life Lessons series. Slow-ish start as this book is mostly about setting the scene and developing the characters. 4 stars and

Mac is a police detective , firmly in the closet in order to protect his daughter and himself (there's a story there too). Tony is a teacher at the local high school, and this story starts when a teacher that Tony doesn't particularly get on with crawls into the lift at school late one evening when Tony is leaving, with a knife sticking out of him...blo
Kaje Harper
Jan 26, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
I've had several people mention that they only found my free short story Life Lessons 1.5 -And To All A Good Night after reading both novels 1 and 2 and that they wished they had read the series in order. And there is also the Valentine's short 1.8. The revision of And to All a Good Night + Getting It Right, which now contains both stories, is available as a free download from Smashwords. This short story combo is also available free from Amazon, B&N, and other booksellers, and on my website ...more
Heather C
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Heather C by: Bubbles Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Great mystery and hot sex! What more could I ask for?

I just loved this story! Tony and Mac are such a great couple (even though a closet is involved). I was really into the mystery and was never bored at all. This one ends with a HFN so I'm looking forward to the sequel.

5++ Stars. I recommend it!

I ♥ Tony and Mac
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Someday, but not today*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Anthony ‘Tony’ Hart (24?/late twenties?) is a high school English teacher and a witness of a murder of a colleague. He's also out and proud. Jared ‘Mac’ MacLean (early thirties?), a widow and the detective of Tony's case. He's also deep in the closet. However when these two met, a connection is made and makes it harder to stay away. However, Jared isn't the only one who wants Tony, as he keeps getting (death) threats...
“That's part of being gay, you know.
Mark
Two MCs, one closet; one on the outside and one on the inside. Tony a high school teacher is out and has no problem with everyone knowing, even the pupils and staff. He becomes involved and witnesses the murder of Mr Westin, a not very popular teacher. Problem is he doesn't see the killer. Case of wrong place wrong time. Enter detective Jared MacLean, this guy could not be more banged up and securely locked in the closet if he tried. However, the hormones will have their own way and the attracti ...more
Heidi Cullinan
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Okay, I picked up this book because it kept showing up freaking EVERYWHERE. I don't know why I kept tripping over it, but I had a pile of gift cards and tried a sample, and then I bought it.

I am not a mystery lover at all, and I don't care about crime stuff, so there were parts of the book, esp the beginning, where mostly I wanted to get to the romance already. But in the end I really liked it all, save the crime and mystery stuff. I knew the killer from the first scene he was named, but that's
Ilhem
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, mystery
This book has already been amply reviewed, so I’ll make it short.

It took me 1/3 of the book to connect to the story and I still disconnected from time to time after that.
The parts outside Tony/Mac’s bubble were sometimes a little mechanical, or convoluted and simplistic at the same time(view spoiler)
Sofia
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it

I liked these two and the story holds water so much more that a lot of others I see in m/m.

Going to continue the series.
Kelly
I liked this book a lot. I'll write up a review when I have more time, but for now: thanks for reading this with me, Monique. It was fun!
Gina
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Tony is a teacher and out and proud gay. Mac is a homicide detective and way way way in the closet. Tony has a pretty ordinary life till a fellow teacher is murdered and Tony stumbles on it practically has it happened. Mac is the detective assigned to the case and is immediately attracted to Tony. Tony is attracted to Mac as well, but can’t tell if he is gay or straight?

I enjoyed this story a great deal, I liked the character development, the mystery of who done it and watching how these two ve
Cole Riann
Aw damn. I don't think I can write a review about this one, I'm done for. I think I need a stiff drink and a good 12 hour nap cause I swear I was grinding my teeth and sweating bullets for the last half of the book.

I can say though that for the first time I actually had the baddie figured from the moment... uh he/she/it... walked onto the page. I never ever guess, cause I'm bad at that, but I was happy that I felt like I got to participate in this one more, so I'm glad I had it figured. I think
Amy Lane
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. Tony was sweet and a little slutty (just a little--it was endearing, swear!) and Mac was gruff and oh-so-tender, and in some pain. The protagonists were engaging, their connection was believable, and the suspense of the storyline was gripping. (Okay... I may be biased--I had to turn off my Kindle at a really tense part because the plane was landing, and I spent the rest of the way home freaking out about one of the MC's... but I'm pretty sure it was the book and not the having to turn ...more
Eli Easton
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This has been on my TBR pile for a long time, and I finally bumped it up because Kaje is an author of the month on the GR m/m romance group.

What the hell was I thinking? I should have read this eons ago! This story was perfectly executed--a solid murder mystery, hunky cop, lots of UST, great sex, 2 cute kids, loveable MCs... really lovely. I read it in one day and it's not a short book.

Off to buy the sequel.
8 Tips for More Positive Living Southbourne Group 1 1 Feb 15, 2017 06:11PM
The Challenge Fac...: Zuzana & ~Melissa~ - Life Lessons 73 27 May 11, 2014 11:28AM

• Come Unto These Yellow Sands
  • Spin Out (Deputy Joe, #2)
  • Private Eye (Liaisons #1)
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
  • Houseboat on the Nile (Spy vs. Spook, #1)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Divide & Conquer (Cut & Run, #4)
  • Shades of Gray
  • The Long Way Home
  • The Salisbury Key
I get asked about my name a lot. It's not something exotic, though. “Kaje” is pronounced just like “cage” – it’s an old nickname, and my pronouns are she/her/hers.

I was born in Montreal but have lived for 30 years in Minnesota, where the two seasons are Snow-removal and Road-repair, where the mosquito is the state bird, and where winter can be breathtakingly beautiful. Minnesota’s a kind, quiet (i

Life Lessons (4 books)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Home Work (Life Lessons, #3)
  • Learning Curve (Life Lessons, #4)
“That's part of being gay, you know. It's not just who you want in bed. It's who your emotional relationships are with the other twenty-three hours of the day, whose arms you want around you when life hands you shit.” 41 likes
“you’ve been all black and white, like Kansas. It’s time to get back to Oz. Enjoy the colors.” 10 likes