Start by marking “The Tao of Inner Peace” as Want to Read:
The Tao of Inner Peace

The Tao of Inner Peace

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  756 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Translated more often than any other book except the Bible, the Tao Te Ching has been a spiritual guide for centuries, helping millions find peace within themselves, with each other, and with the natural world around them. Written in workbook style, complete with exercises, questionnaires, journal-keeping techniques, and affirmations, The Tao of Inner Peace translates the ...more
Published November 1st 2000 by Plume (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Tao of Inner Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tao of Inner Peace

Denice
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I saw this book for a dollar at Goodwill one day while I in the beginning stages of a rut. I had always been a fan of the Tao Te Ching, so I decided to just give it a try, not expecting anything but some new age-y advice. I stayed up the entire night to read it. As a positive and proactive person, most of what the author was saying was not news to me, but I needed to hear it again. She offers cheesy exercises which I passed on, but when I came to a part about dissecting the fears that are keepin ...more
Joseph
Jun 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: self help book for immature millennials

Cleaning off my bookshelves I came across this book. I do not remember when or where I got it, but until today it basically has been left untouched.

I started to read it and quickly realized something was wrong. Taoism basically sees people as being a small part of the cosmos, not the center of it. What is immediately wrong is that this is an "I" or "me, me, me" book.

The author is an English professor and 'positive psychology' coach. Not sure what that is but cannot help but think of Tony Robbins
Nick Blankenburg
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
I really enjoyed reading this book, and I regret having lost it for I have wished several times to read it again. After reading it, I came away feeling more relaxed about life and its surprises. It felt like a heavy weight was lifted from my shoulders.

I know how corny that sounds, but it's the honest truth!

After I finished reading this book, I could tell that some of the people I spent a lot of my time with noticed a difference, and I felt different around them, in a very good way. I felt it gav
Mitch
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a decent introduction into Taoism; however, it felt extremely dated (really a product of the 90's) and the depth of Taoism was sacrificed for a more applicable reading of this philosophy. I can understand where the author is coming from, yet, for example, the clearly made-up incidental people used as examples for her points only made the book feel disingenuous. No your friend Tasha did not have a life-changing moment because of X, Y, or Z. That being said, the broader historical (read: ...more
Atlas
Sep 20, 2007 rated it liked it
Inspiring!

Reading this book in the woods somewhere in the Poconos, gave me a renewed self-peace that elevated to a reunion with nature.

On the third month, I gave up being a vegetarian. Haha. No offense to tofu, especially "tokwa't baboy", but I realized that tofu could never replace meat.

All the lyrical teachings of Tao were still refreshing and intuitive.
Jenny
Jul 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
I read the first chapter and wasn't impressed. The Tao is supposed to help you live simply and richly, without all the planning, striving and forcing that we are taught to do in western culture. Then this book (that is supposed to be about the Tao) has all these hints and lists and "to do's" of things to do to implement the Tao. Seems to oppose all that the Tao is teaching.
Christine
Nov 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
this book has become a guide for me. i reread it in 2005, then again in 2006 and 2007. each time i read it something jumps out at me that is relevant and meaningful to that point in time. it helps me stay grounded and at peace.
Shaughnessy Davis
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simply put this book is amazing. It invites us to learn ourselves and cooperate with natural cycles and one another. It is filled with the wisdom of the Tao to motive us to create inner and external peace.
Lacey Thornton
It's a book that I have bought over and over again either because I borrowed to someone or lost it from moving. I will always love this book when I'm feeling overly stressed. When I am looking to refocus my life.
Kevin Fuller
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having read the Tao Te Ching, I wanted to further my studies on the Great Way of Things, and came upon this gem at my local Barnes and Noble.

Anchored in the Tao Te Ching, Ms. Dreher highlights how to apply it's at times arcane and seemingly difficult to understand Wisdom to us living in postmodern society.

She makes connections for example between Lao Tzu and how and when to navigate a career move or change, between Lao Tzu's teachings and how to tackle difficult people, including ourselves.

By mi
Zachariah
Mar 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know, I know... "It's an explanation of a book that's essentially self-explanatory." I'd even agree if its scope was as narrow as to only carry paraphrases and excerpts of the myriad Tao Te Ching translations. (Although when dealing with a concept this "un-Taoable", it's un-Tao-tibly useful to approach it from as many p.o.v's as possible. Groan.) Thankfully, this isn't the case at all.

What we find instead is a worthwhile treatise on a number of important Taoist concepts, as well as a trove of
Penelope Rothfield
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I keep this book by my bed. The author's voice is very intelligent and soothing and good company. Dreyer shows us how to apply the principles of the Tao to everyday life in ways that are practical and uplifting and effective. The author suggests exercises and affirmations that have helped me quite a bit and support me in living the kind of life I believe in. I keep a mini-copy of the Tao Te Ching in my purse---
Madeline Ellis
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirtual
this book dawson gave to me to read in china...and i did. i didn't know much about taoism before i read this book but it gave me a wonderful introduction to it. it gives you steps throughout the book to practice and become more aware of nature and the philosophy of the tao and how to really apply it in everyday life. this is the kind of book you keep and read again.
Heather
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
This book helps to keep me sane! Whenever I feel negative, I just read a few pages and the world begins to make sense again ;) It's not necessarily a book that I would read from cover to cover, but I do recommend it for the inspiring messages.
Michael B
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing

My best buddy,Quinn gave me this book in the early 90's, while i was searching for truth. At the time, this book started my questions, journey and eventually led me back to my spirituality and a belief in God and in something greater than myself.
Astrid
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Highly recommended. A book that changes lives. The chapters are easy to get through; beginning with an excerpt from the Tao Te Ching, a brief explanation, and then real life examples of how you can relate. Finally the chapter closes with a personal exercise and positive affirmation.
Joey
Jul 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book was great. Filled with personal experiences, as well as examples of friends and public figures made the lessons of Taoism seem very applicable. I truly think every person should read this book.
Eileen
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
I love this book. It is full of gentle wisdom. Her paraphrases of some of the Tao Te Ching are beautiful. It gives much hope for a better world if people would follow some of her suggestions – everything from personal meditation to global action. I highly recommend this book.
Drew Fagot
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
It was kind of disappointing. While the book had good points in it, it became too hippy like for me. I love exploring Taoism but this book started to branch off from what Taoism really is. I didn't even finish the book I became so bored with it by the end.
Kim
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Some positive insight into the Tao outlook on how we are all connected which is an area I am enjoying studying right now. A little more politics that I personally am into, but that does not in any way throw negative on the book and the message.
Natalia
Dec 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Learn about the balance that is available to us in this universe. A simple read, wise enough to pass on to children.
Michelle
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I refer to this book as one of my "bibles" of the Tao again and again.
Racquel Lopez
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book for me while going through changes in my life. It helped me with my thoughts, feelings and to live with the choices I've made.
Piper
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tracy
Apr 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Picked this up off the shelf in the Yoga Studio and started reading a few pages and could not put it down. Goal is to read few pages every night b4 bed and then do some reflecting the next day.
Moonshadow
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book many times and have discovered something new every time ,love it.
Shelley
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked the beginning chapters best. I wasn't so thrilled with the "change the world activist" message in the last few chapters. But maybe I just haven't grown enough ;)
Nicole
May 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book was very peaceful, and I especially liked the parts on dealing with conflict. It's a great book to review when you are feeling shitty or out of control in your life.
Casey
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite book on Taoism. I go back to it again and again.
Debi
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent guidance on inner reflection. Easy to pick out chapters based on current interest.
  • The Essential Tao
  • 365 Tao: Daily Meditations
  • Ten Theories of Human Nature
  • Christianity and Evolution
  • The Way of Chuang Tzu (Shambhala Library)
  • How to Read Kierkegaard
  • The Renaissance Philosophy of Man: Petrarca, Valla, Ficino, Pico, Pomponazzi, Vives
  • Tao: The Watercourse Way
  • Anatheism: Returning to God After God
  • Tao: The Pathless Path
  • Belief in God in an Age of Science
  • The Tao of Daily Life: The Mysteries of the Orient Revealed The Joys of Inner Harmony Found The Path to  Enlightenment Illuminated
  • An Essay On the Development of Christian Doctrine
  • The Power of an Open Question: A Buddhist Approach to Abiding in Uncertainty
  • The Spectrum of Consciousness
  • Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • She Who Is: The Mystery of God in Feminist Theological Discourse
  • Pooh and the Philosophers: In Which It Is Shown That All of Western Philosophy Is Merely a Preamble to Winnie-the-Pooh
Diane Dreher, Ph.D., is the author of the best-selling The Tao of Inner Peace. She has a doctorate in Renaissance literature from UCLA and is a professor at Santa Clara University. A positive psychology coach, teacher and writer, she lives in the San Francisco Bay area."
More about Diane Dreher...