Start by marking “Thief's Covenant (Widdershins Adventures, #1)” as Want to Read:
Thief's Covenant (Widdershins Adventures, #1)

Thief's Covenant (Widdershins Adventures #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  2,214 Ratings  ·  290 Reviews
Once she was Adrienne Satti. An orphan of Davillon, she had somehow escaped destitution and climbed to the ranks of the city's aristocracy in a rags-to-riches story straight from an ancient fairy tale. Until one horrid night, when a conspiracy of forces--human and other--stole it all away in a flurry of blood and murder. Today she is Widdershins, a thief making her way thr ...more
Published February 21st 2012 by Pyr

To ask other readers questions about Thief's Covenant, please sign up.

Choko
*** 3.40 ***

This went too fast... Very pleasant, quickly unfolding, young adult adventure fantasy with a young female protagonist. I did not even notice the time that passed while I was reading it, so this must be good. I did have some issues with the changes of time lines and POVs. I feel the jumps in time were done to make the story more dynamic, but at the end it only brought confusion and as a whole, it was unnecessary. I liked the dialogue and the setting, the world building was not quite c
Gavin
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a fun YA fantasy. For the most part it was a light and humorous tale full of action, mystery, and adventure, but it also had its dark moments which provided some gravity to the happenings.

The world building was adequate without being anything special. The setting was reminiscent of 18th century France. The main thing that separated it was the presence of a real pantheon of Gods!

This tale tells the story of Adrienne Satti, also known by her thieves guild name of Widdershins. She was a
Lindsay
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
An entertaining little story with a really interesting main character and premise.

Widdershins, aka Adrienne Satti, aka Madeline Valoi, is a thief in the city of Davillon. She's only young, but she's already lived an adventurous life as a thief, then a noblewoman, then back to a thief but with the aid of a god. Davillon is about to be visited by an Archbishop and the powers that be want the city calm when he arrives. That means that both the local thieve's guild and the constabulary want quiet on
Laurel
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adventure lovers and for some reason, Assassin's Creed fans
Recommended to Laurel by: Cover, and the few pages I read in zee bookstore

4.5 Stars

Thief’s Convenant was a book I purchased when I didn’t know what I wanted to get, but my mom was paying for me anyway so I bought it on a whim. And for that, I am sorry, Thief’s Convenant for thinking so lowly of you. You are so much more than what I’ve read recently.

This is the story of Widdershins a.k.a. Adrienne Satti a.k.a. Madeleine Valois a.k.a. Sister Elspeth. She has a rags-to-riches-to-bloody-rags past and currently lives the life of a thief in the Finder’s Guild in Davillon. S
Gergana
I deleted this book from my TBR shelf twice...until I finally decided to get the Graphic Audio version and get it over with. Obviously, I expected nothing special out of Thief's Covenant (but the cover looked so pretty, it was tempting me with its perfection!) Less than 10% in and I was already in love with the characters!

Thief's Covenant follows the story of Widdershins, the most successful and skillful thief in her guild with a great sense of humor and witty personality. How did such a young g
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 stars at The BiblioSanctum: http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

Our protagonist in Thief's Covenant is a young woman who wears many masks and goes by many different names. Once she was Adrienne Satti, an orphan taken off the streets to be raised as an aristocrat's ward, but soon after was forced to shed her old life to escape arrest for a savage crime she didn't commit. Now, she is known simply as the thief Widdershins.

And really, how could I not be drawn to a book starring a character w
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was a fun and cute book that unfortunately couldn't seem to hold my attention for more than a few minutes. I did finally get through the end today and I really liked the end. So three stars because it was cute and the last 20 pages were 4 stars.
TheBookSmugglers
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
First Impressions:

Ana: It is always a pleasure to see a straight-up Fantasy novel published for young adults and I was excited when I learnt that Pyr (a great adult Fantasy publisher) was coming up with an imprint for YA. Although I admit I was expecting a bit more of oomphage from this title, The Thief’s Covenant turned out to be a laid-back, fun, popcorn-Fantasy read with a cool girl-protagonist.

Thea: Like the shallow creature I can be, I fell for this book when I saw the cover (by the brillia
Jacob Proffitt
Dark in places, funny in others, Thief's Covenant is a fun, if somewhat flawed, ride. Adrienne, aka Widdershins, is as kind as she can afford to be. An orphan, long on the mean streets of Davillon, she has long made her way as a relatively accomplished thief—odd, then, to find her the last surviving member of an underground cult. This has both an up and a down side, but she's coping as best she can and trying to stay alive long enough to realize more of the up.

What develops from there is a great
Ferdy
The multiple POV's and the frequent time-jumping was frustrating and hard to keep up with. I would have preferred it if the timeline didn't jump every chapter and if there had been no more than 3 POVs, it just got confusing.
The language used was too descriptive and flowery at times, there were also sentences & words used that didn't suit the tone of the story like 'poop-head' and 'butt'.
On the plus side Widdershins was a great heroine - smart, witty, strong and daring. Her relationship with
Nidofito
Rating: 4.5/5

I was pleasantly suprised by this. It's a fantasy adventure that doesn't get too bogged down by drawn out emotions or unnecessarily complicated plots. The main character is fun to read and the world is pretty cool as well. I would like to know a little bit more of the side characters and would definitely not complain if we see some romance in the sequels (my vote is for a certain grumpy mustached man).
Blodeuedd Finland
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have read other books by Marmell, and even though this one is YA it's still bloody, but not that violent. How to explain, people die, a lot, but it's not shown as it would be in an adult book. Still, poor Widdershins.

At first I was not sure if I would like how it jumped in time, but it worked perfectly. Because each flashback showed me something new. First we got Widdershins as she is now, a young thief with few friends. Then there is poor Adrienne, alone on the streets, a pick-pocket among ot
Savannah
Feb 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Oh, I wanted to like this book. I love the clever thief trope and I had high hopes. But I won't say now that these hopes were shattered: that's exactly the mistake this author makes.

There's a good book in here, I think, if only a really serious editor took it in hand. But the language is stilted, albeit occasionally clever in a bloggishly fanboy sort of way (hint: he wrote Dungeons & Dragons manuals), staggering under the weight of the author's absolute inability to pass up even a single opp
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, review

Widdershins is a thief in the city of Davillon, who has help from her personal God Olgun. However, she has a dangerous past which could end up with her being arrested or worse. Widdershins is an excellent character who is loyal and mischievous and Olgun is brilliant because, even though we cannot see or hear him, I can picture him so easily. Thief’s Covenant is a well written fantasy book, which has likable characte
Stefan
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thief’s Covenant is the story of Widdershins, a young woman formerly known as Adrienne Satti, who grew up an orphan on the streets of Davillon, escaped poverty to join the city’s powerful aristocracy in a rags-to-riches story, and then shockingly found herself cast down to the bottom rungs of society again. Now she’s clawed her way back up to the life of a successful thief… and the ghosts of her earlier life, make that lives, come back to call on her..

Ari Marmell, the author of this entertaining
Tammie
Thief's Covenant is a YA fantasy about a thief who was born in poverty, then taken in by an aristocrat, and then ends up in hiding after a horrible event that she is blamed for. It's a rags-to-riches-to-rags story.

There are quite a few time jumps in this book and at first I wasn't crazy about the time jumps interrupting the main story line, but after I got used to them they didn't bother me at all. I liked every one of the characters in this book and a couple of the deaths saddened me. In tone
Dr susan
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My library finally got Lost Covenant after I 'suggested' they buy it. So I am reading Thief's and False again, because they are good and deserve a review and not just stars.

I think I first read Thief 's Covenant in July of 2012 when False Covenant was released. I forgot how funny and sad this book is. I do not usually like books with multiple points of view, the death of multiple supporting characters, and confusing flashbacks. However, Marmell sucks me in and traps me with his elegant descripti
Stefanie

What a marvelous, well thought out book. Though the one thing that really stands out with Thief's Covenant is the writing itself. I can honestly say this book was fun to read, and I mean it in terms of not only the great plot and characters, but the amazing writing from the author. There are some of the best similes, metaphors, alliterations, etc. in here that I ever have had the pleasure of reading, and it did not feel overdone in the least.

The plot was great and it really was an entertaining
Melliott
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I wish they allowed half-stars here, because this was definitely 3.5, a little better than "liked it" but infinitesimally below "liked it a lot." The best part about the book is the main character, Widdershins. She is everything you could want in a young, brash, kick-ass thief.

The writing was really good--expressive and descriptive, a lot of content within a slim book.

I had trouble with the timeline, since it jumped, not just between static past and present, but all over the place, from "now" to
Hallie
May 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
I decided I'd like what Jacob liked about this enough to deal with the dislikes I'll probably also dislike!

Well, I got the above right, anyway - both in terms of the liking and the disliking. Feeling too lacking in energy to say much about it, but one quote has to be shared:
The aromas of rotting garbage, alcohol, vomit, and human offal intertwined to form a vulgar scent that caressed the dank streets with all the false affection of a diseased trollop.

So much wrong in just one sentence.

Like Jac
Tina
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, youngadult
I need to stop forcing myself to finish mediocre YA fantasy.

This read like fanfic, which would be fine if I was looking to read fanfic. The characters were pretty flat and all the attempts at humor felt awkward and modern and really pulled me out of the more historical setting. It felt very amateur.
Elspeth
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Wow, what a well thought and put together story. This is what I have been missing with some of the tripe that gets published in this day and age.
I now have to go out and buy this book AND its sequal!
Loved it!
MLE
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yad
A fun, well written fantasy. I really enjoyed the characters and their world, and look forward to reading more.
Bec
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rating more around 3.5-4 because I actually really enjoyed this (I just feel like it is 3/4 stars though) Review should come eventually
Tal
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
פנטזיית נוער קלילה ומשעשעת
Donna
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WORDS. There are WORDS in them thar pages! Glorious, well thought-out WORDS! My faith in YA has been nominally salvaged for the moment!
Widdershins (which is kind of a dumb name and the author even picks on it a little, LOVE IT)/Adrienne is a female that kicks ass and doesn’t give a damn about taking names. And she just so happens to have a god sitting on her shoulders. Literally. He’s just a little invisible but he really does talk to Widdershins. His name is Olgun. Sure he can be a rather conve
Sarah Staszkiel
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-very-own, series
An easy read with interesting characters and plot. I really enjoy reading characters that have a sense of humour, especially witty humour, and Adrienne definitely fit the description. Very enjoyable way to spend an evening or two.
Ashley
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Thief's Covenant by Ari Marmell
Pages: 240
Publisher: PYR
Genre: YA Fantasy
Release Date: February 14th, 2012
Buy it (Pre-Order): Hardcover

She is Widdershins, a thief making her way through Davillon's underbelly looking to find answers, and justice with a sharp blade, a sharper wit, and the mystical aid of Olgun, a foreign god with no other worshipers but Widdershins herself.

I started just casually reading Thief's Covenant one evening, but from the very first line, I was hooked. Ari Marmell spares
usagi ☆ミ
This is a very charming bit of alternate-world YA fantasy. In an alternate-France, a thief wanders about, trying to deal with a trauma from years ago...with a god stuck in her head. In a world where there are 147+ gods in the Hallowed Pact and that people worship, Widdershins/Adrienne Satti the Thief tries to deal with making ends meet AND trying to appease Olgun, the god that accompanies her everywhere invisibly. Marmell does a wonderful job creating this alternate world where anything and ever ...more
Jane Stewart
3 or more stars for characters and plot. But deduct a star due to jumping around in time causing confusion and frustration.

The author has a university degree in creative writing. I want to know “who told him it’s good writing technique to jump around in time?” Is that what they are teaching? I do recall one “expert” saying authors should create hooks (or cliffhangers) at the end of every chapter. But I disagree. But I expect some readers are not bothered by it. Jumping around in time is the easi
  • Lightbringer (Lightbringer, #1)
  • The Osiris Curse (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #2)
  • Never Knew Another (Dogsland, #1)
  • Masters of the Veil (The Veil Trilogy #1)
  • Cuttlefish (Cuttlefish, #1)
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • The Thief-Taker's Apprentice (The Thief-Taker's Apprentice, #1)
  • Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks, #1)
  • Scorch (Croak, #2)
  • Den of Thieves (Ancient Blades, #1)
  • Planesrunner (Everness #1)
  • Vessel
  • Fair Coin (Coin, #1)
  • House of Shadows
  • Sasha (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #1)
  • Hunter and Fox (Shifted World, #1)
  • Banner of the Damned
  • Katya's World (Russalka Chronicles, #1)
Ari Marmell was born in New York, moved to Houston when he was a year old, moved to Austin when he was 27, but has spent most of his life living in other worlds through a combination of writing and roleplaying games. He has been writing more or less constantly for the last dozen years, though he has only been paid for it the past five. He is the author of multiple roleplaying game supplements incl ...more
More about Ari Marmell

Widdershins Adventures (4 books)
  • False Covenant (Widdershins Adventures, #2)
  • Lost Covenant (Widdershins Adventures, #3)
  • Covenant's End (Widdershins Adventures, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“It was one of the primary rules of thievery. When hiding, sneaking, and trickery are all out, the correct answer is "run like hell.” 33 likes
“A true lady should have the wit and the imagination, or at least the very restraint, to express herself without resorting herself to such base vocabulary.” 21 likes