Start by marking “Kaleidoscope” as Want to Read:
Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  11,873 Ratings  ·  283 Reviews
When Sam Walker returned from the front lines of World War II, bringing with him his exquisite French bride, no one could have imagined that their fairytale love would end in such a shattering tragedy. Nine-year-old Hilary, the eldest of the Walker children, clung desperately to her two sisters: five-year-old Alexandra and baby Megan. However, before the year was out, they ...more
Published December 3rd 2009 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Kaleidoscope, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Lisa Tilley
Sep 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! No matter how many years go by, I will never forget this book. I would recommend it to....ANYONE!
Eka Putri
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I planned to finish this book in a week. Who ever knew that I would finish it in a day!
Another great story from Danielle Steel. I cried over it from the start till the end of the novel. Touchy. Well... stories about broken families always touch me deeply. You guys really have to read this one.
Diane Wallace
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read! beautifully written story..love,lost and life (paperback!)
Joshua
Utter tripe. I enjoyed this, it was entertaining to blaze through on a road trip. But quite honestly, it was melodramatic, shallow, and just plain dumb. I must be growing out of my Danielle Steel phase, even so, queen of shit-lit will always have a place in my heart.
Lacy
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite Danielle Steel book. After many many DS books I finally got tired of her tedious style. But if you're into Danielle Steel, this is a must read.
Debahuti
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

The book does an absolute justice to its title- Kaleidoscope, things change with the blink of an eye. Danielle Steele once again manages to take her readers by surprise. The book is full of unexpected twists and turns which leaves the readers breathless gasping for more...

As Sam Walker returned home from war with a beautiful wife, Solange, nobody not even they themselves could have ever foreseen what life held ahead for them. They had three beautiful daughters, Hillary, Alexandria and Megan. Wit
Thea
I loved reading this book, as it is about family and that's an issue of importance to me. I f you are family oriented, you would love reading it too.
Marchel
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terjemahan, fiksi
Membaca buku ini bagaikan naik roller-coaster. Naik, turun, naik, turun lagi. Naik-turunnya kehidupan yang terjadi pada sebuah keluarga. Dan semuanya terjadi dengan cepat. Wew.

Di awal sudah disuguhkan suasana muram ala perang. Obrolan antar prajurit di dalam bunker saat Perang Dunia II, antara Sam Walker dan Arthur Patterson. Lalu disuguhkan adegan "manis" saat prajurit Sam Walker jatuh cinta terhadap wanita Perancis, Solange, yang digambarkan sang mempesona dengan rambut merah menyalanya. Lalu
Pragti Rathore
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think its one of the best books by Steele!
She wonderfully tells the story of 3 sisters who are separated due to unfortunate events and misgivings. The only qualm I had was that it would have been even more amazing had the story of Sam Walker ans Solange not stretched so long. But after all that, the story is just fantastic and does justice to its title - Kaleidoscope, where things change with the blink of an eye.
The story of Hillary makes you cry, the hardships that she goes through is extreme
Irin R.
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. It was a drama read and it made me cry quite a lot at times. It was also so well-written that the story, although "squezed" into 372 pages (I read a kinda different edition) was totally NOT boring or with plot gaps. And that is talent. :) Seriously, I would read it again if I felt the urge for a romantic-tragic story that kept my interest intact thoughout its pages. The plot twists were efficiently and amazingly working as a true kaleidoscope!
Enjoy the read!!
Sea Urchin
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Read it years back.

The plot is very interesting, about 3 sisters who are separated when little and each of them lives a very different life than the other, and when they grow up they find each other and its amazing to see how completely DIFFERENT they are. The book sort of shows the nature vs nurture debate.

The book is also in very simple language and easy to read. Keeps you glued till the end!

Glaiza Mae
beautifully written!
Carla Marquez
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excelente libro!!! la narración es perfecta, es una historia larga de varias genraciones que a pesar de tener muchisimos detalles los narra rápidamente sin detenerse en detallados excesivos, avanzas tan rapido que ni siquiera te das cuenta que estas a punto de terminarlo, la descripcion dice que es un libro de romance erótico pero es totalmente falso! este libro es puro drama y del bueno, excelente lectura!
Lynai
Mar 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
Kaleidoscope revolves around three sisters, Hilary, Alexandra, and Megan, who were separated while they were still kids. In my opinion, the whole plot revolves around the life of Hilary and her depressing and solitary existence while the other two main characters – Alexandra and Megan – were just add-ons to make the story more cohesive. It was supposed to be touching and emotional but I do not find it powerful enough to move me to tears. I understand Hilary’s bitterness and anger, all that hate ...more
Shilpa
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite books by Danielle Steele... Was actually getting bored of her writing style when I stumbled upon this one.
But once I started it,I was totally engrossed into the way its story was enfolding, it being so gripping and heart wrenching at times that i could finally keep it down only once I had read the happy ending it so truly deserved.
A story of three girls left to be on their own when their actor father kills his pretty wife and commits suicide himself.
The eldest Hilary
Ena Hasečić
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own

Opet se pokazalo koliko su zaista dobri oni romani Danielle Steel čija je radnja smještena u neki zanimljiv historijski period, a nije ona tipična: on je bogati filmski producent, a ona se upravo razvela bla blaaaa!

Roman u početku prati Sama i Arthura, dva najbolja prijatelja koji se skupa vraćaju iz rata. Na putu kući Sam upoznaje lijepu Francuskinju Solanž kojom se ženi i sa kojom dobiva 3 kćerke. Nakon nekoliko godina sretnog braka i tragedije koja ih pogađa 3 sestre ostaju same. Silom ih r
mark
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to mark by: father
Shelves: relationships
My father just sent me this book, yesterday. (He's 93 & has read every Nora Roberts book and is now into DS.) So I read it this AM. Ok, I just read Hilary's part. I don't know how I feel about these types of books - if they do no harm or in fact, are harmful because they take serious things and kind of make them unreal. Domestic abuse, infidelity, murder, rape, foster care, abandoned children, abortion, juvenile jail, love & romance, marriage, etc. and so on. And there's always a happy e ...more
Humaira Shaikh
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kaleidoscope starts off with World War II. When the Allies defeated the Germans. And the American army is currently waiting in France after liberating it from Nazi occupation. Before being sent to attack Germany. Two American soldiers, Sam Walker and Arthur Patterson become really good friends. And share a strong bond with each other after fighting alongside each other for a long time. In France Sam catches sight of a girl named Solange Bertrand. A girl with fiery red hair and emerald eyes. She ...more
Joann
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boy meets girl in Paris during the war and falls in love. They have 3 children. He was a Broadway actor and an argument leads to a murder and then suicide. The 3 girls are taking to an aunt and life is very hard. 2 of the girls were adopted out and had a good life. The oldest girl was not and life was unbearable. She formed a great hatred to the man who she blames separated the sisters. He is dying and is trying to get the sisters back together
Narmin
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about three sisters and their lives. They loose their parents as children and brought to different families. The biggest sister lives the worst life among them. She is brought up by her aunt's family and then in an orphanage where she is mistreated and used.
After the ups and downs she finally gets a good job and becomes a fine working woman and looks for her sisters.
Nermeen Mohamed
such an outstanding novel with so much sincere and authentic feelings and emotions. yet the tremendous amount of tragedy inherent makes us
believe that despite all the calamities that life can sometimes so callously render upon us, life can take us towards a new path, a new beginning full of hope and happiness again...
Kellie
Sep 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was reading Danielle Steele, I loved her books.
I was obsessed with her books. Not I can't even pick up one of her books.
Sonya
Jun 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book so far. Not your usual Danielle Steel story. I am enjoying the journey.
rachel
Jun 18, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this was my first and last encounter with danielle steel. the story was lame and the writing was terrible. it took a lot of self-control not to mark up the pages with a red pen.
Gwen
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romans
L'un des rares de Danielle Steel qui m'a réellement touché !
A lire !
monica
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Calidoscopio

Una historia increíble sobre la suerte que corrieron tres niñas.muy interesante aunque también muy triste.viví el sufrimiento que tuvieron que pasar,quedé complacida con el final aunque hubiera deseado conocer más sobre lo que paso con Hillary y su pareja. Unas cuantas páginas más no hubiera estado mal.recomiendo la historia muy buena.
Courtney Payne
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautiful and haunting story. Hilary was such a strong main character that you can't help but root for her the moment that she's introduced. I have never cried so much during a book as I did with this one.
Russ
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All right. Read this 15-20 years ago as part of an experiment to read various bestselling novelists. Melodramatic, glamorous, urbane. Like a soap opera. Fine if that's what you're in to. Steel is obviously talented and conjured up a vivid family saga with this.
Kudzai Mhangwa
I really enjoyed reading the book though I found it a bit tedious as time went by. One major issue I had with the book was how the character development was not strong enough for my liking. The only character that came out as real to me was Hillary. Apart from that, it was wonderful easy read
Melissa
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my third time reading this book. I first read it in 1991. It is timeless. The tragedy of Hilary's life, the near-sighted life of Alexandra, and the perfect ending left me wanting the book to continue.
Danielle Steel Bo...: Kaleidoscope 1 1 Nov 20, 2012 03:24AM
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Angel
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
  • Texas Fury (Texas, #3)
  • The Rule of Four
  • A Woman Betrayed
  • Till We Meet Again
  • The Turk and My Mother
  • Powerful Italian, Penniless Housekeeper  (At His Service, #1)
  • Big Sky Standoff
  • Dead of Wynter
  • Always and Forever
  • Bygones
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle / Driven to Distraction / Taken for a Ride
  • Inheritance
  • Here Comes Trouble
  • Same as It Never Was
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...