Start by marking “Just One Thing: Developing a Buddha Brain One Simple Practice at a Time” as Want to Read:
Just One Thing: Developing a Buddha Brain One Simple Practice at a Time

Just One Thing: Developing a Buddha Brain One Simple Practice at a Time

You've heard the expression, “It’s the little things that count.” It's more than a simple platitude. Research has shown that integrating little daily practices into your life can actually change the way your brain works.

This guide offers simple things you can do routinely, mainly inside your mind, that will support and increase your sense of security and worth, resilience,
Published October 1st 2011 by New Harbinger Publications (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Just One Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just One Thing

Start your review of Just One Thing: Developing a Buddha Brain One Simple Practice at a Time
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
I love this book. It is so easy to use and the advice is really good. In fact, in today’s busy world, this book is a useful tool. I usually don’t review self-help books because I find the advice and the practices a bunch of useless babble. This book is just the opposite. It confirmed what I knew was already working in my life, and it gave easy, practical advice on how to enjoy the small things, to minimize the negative, and how to survive in a world that is whipping by us at warp speed.

From the
Emma Sea
i just got really, really bored about 40% in :(
Zen Nana
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
A couple of interesting thoughts crossed my mind as I began reading this book. The old saying about the teacher appearing when the student is ready was the first one. The second was about how it sometimes seems as if everyone suddenly has the same idea all at once. Maybe it's a "tipping point" thing, or an idea reaching "critical mass" and spreading suddenly throughout a population, just because it's time. As Victor Hugo wrote, "No army can stop an idea whose time has come."

So it was interesting
Amy
Dec 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
The only reason I finished this book was so I could justify rating it. Everything this book does has been done better else where. I think this book missed its calling in life as a blog.
Bonnie
Expected Publication Date: 10/1/2011

‘Just One Thing’ was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Smith Publicity.

This was a well written positive little how-to guide on how to be mindful of your happiness on a daily basis. This is a novel for everyone. It’s an easily understandable guide that doesn’t go into the ‘science’ of anything or even religion. This is definitely a great read for anyone interested in trying to make their days just a bit better.

The first time I read this novel I read it
Denise
A typical aughts mindfulness self-help number marketed at the Worried Well, but at a more idiots-guide level than some, if that appeals. It seems like a Daily Devotional book for the secular, full of the typical colonialist-style of rifling through Buddhism's pockets for little inspo nuggets to help Westerners, once they've been helpfully sanitized of all that "weird religion stuff." Author indulges in some classic noble-savagery in Ch 14 to spice it up a bit though.

Has some weird pseudoscience
Anuj
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mindfulness
Let me add at the onset that I am biased towards Rick Hanson. I had subscribed to his newsletter and was moved by one of his blogs; so I mailed him and he responded back, which I thought was great of him.

I borrowed this book from a friend who was visiting my city and finished it in a couple of days. The book is an extension of his blog - JOT - Just One Thing. Rather collection of his JOTs - fifty-two of them in this book, so it's a treasure.

A wealth of practices to undertake, to follow, so that
Becky
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mental-health
Just One Thing reads more like 52 disjointed, informal blog entries than an actual grown-up book. That wouldn't bother me so much if I had actually learned something -- anything -- remotely helpful, but... I'm still waiting for the day I find a self-help book for anxiety / depression that doesn't insult my intelligence by offering nothing but the most vague advice ever.

Self help books be like, "Eat right and exercise! Wake up at the same time everyday! Make time to do enjoyable things! Make
J
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is not a book you sit and read cover-to-cover. It's a book of 52 mindful practices that require thought and reflection, and of course, practice. Rick Hanson's compassion and wisdom come through on every page.

I originally checked this book out from the library, but after reading his introduction, I went out and purchased two copies: one for me and one for a friend. It's a book I want on my shelves and one I no doubt will return to again, and again.
Eve
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This little book is designed as a Buddhist practice manual, to be read, not as a novel, but as a once-a-night or once-a-morning dose of practical advice that purports to change your life, one aspect at a time. At first, my reaction was that it was too "pat" or simplistic, and I was skeptical: "Yeah, right, how do I do that?" even though he includes a "How" section with each chapter. Easier said than done. As I always do, I read the book straight through. About half or three quarters of the way ...more
Stephanie Barko
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the April 2018 selection of South Austin Spiritual Book Group.
This book makes a good weekly devotional, although that's not how I read it.

The most meaningful chapters for me were
Dream Big Dreams
Ben Generous
Notice You're All Right Now

And I think the chapter called Smile must have sunk in because everyone is smiling at me now in the grocery store.
Tom Bentley
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Encouraging, helpful and clear examples of re-framing your experiences in ways that induce a more positive state of mind. Never in the Pollyanna sense of "look on the bright side": The author has many cautions about these admonitions to look at your experiences in a fresh way as not putting blinkers on tough times, but not letting things overwhelm you. And not to let old patterns of thought dictate how you experience things anew.

The format of simple descriptions of how situations unfold and then
Barrie
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Maybe if I owned this book I could really dive deep into every 52 'things' to truly develop--but honestly, this book just went too fast for me. It was a spitfire approach to making yourself better. I rather the story approach then these brief 'do this and that' approach. I did take a few things away from it, hence the 2 stars and not total suckage, but I actually prefer a book like The Happiness Project over this high-speed do a billion things to make your life better book. It was overwhelming ...more
Karen Chung
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually I had pretty much figured out much of the stuff in this book through the School of Hard Knocks, but it's still worth reading and contains some quotable quotes.
Stephanie
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just one thing, read this daily just one time a day ... changes your frame of mind.
Brandon Hodges
A very basic guide to mindfulness.

Hanson isn't a bad writer but I believe he glosses over many intuitive and self help concepts in this book. It says a lot but doesn't do much, which may work for some as a nice beginning to better mental habits. But if you're looking for deeper and more involved writing and practices then you may want to look elsewhere. However there there some gems such as focusing on moments of happiness, letting go, and dealing with perfection \imperfection. All interesting
Rachel
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different than my expectations. Thought it would be small, plain-language meditations. I listened to each multiple times.

The chapters swing from simple advice, to emotionally-probing questions that get at lacks/wants from childhood, to a particularly tedious one about "SAY YES"--a revelation gained from the author's son's high school improv class.

Plenty of good ones, and I marked chapters to return to at the right times, but a bit of a gamble with each chapter.
Gary Broyhill
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just One Thing is an excellent merging of neuropsychology and Buddhist principles by one of my favorite authors in the field. "Mindfulness" seems to be the self-help buzzword of the decade, but Hanson dodges that overused appellation and offers instead an easily digestible buffet of 52 practical Buddhist/psychological strategies that can truly prod your mind into a more positive view of life. This is a book that I can see myself using for years to come.
Nancy
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it gives practical ways in which to change life for the better without an overlay of any particular religion. I think a lot of practical wisdom gets missed when people see that it comes from a religious perspective. I know "Buddha" is in the title, but it is merely findings from neuroscience that guide the practices.
Tyler Shanahan
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It may be the most beneficial book I’ve ever read. Rick Hanson has a great has a great way of explaining the what, why, and how of each point he presents. I recommend this book to everyone.
Liaken
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
The introduction is worth the book. It's very simple in concept, but that's why it works. Check it out from your library and read the intro and then look through the sections. If it resonates, go forth and do the little things until you've altered your brain function.
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-books
Good
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Will read again, really enjoyed the practical ideas
Abhishek
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full of small nuggets and daily practices to follow. I really liked it. Just not sure how disciplined I'll be too implement in my life. Definitely worth a read.
beingCristina
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: well-being
An easy read plenty of meaningful insights grounded on Neuroscience. A book for everyone.
Erica
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love love love this book. Gives those with anxiety a task to focus on with each read. Extremely helpful. I'll keep this on my bedstand for years--maybe forever.
Kate
Jul 18, 2019 marked it as to-buy
Hal Elrod Morning Miracle mentioned it
Shishir
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
For a healthy mind and healthy living a compilation of loosely scattered good common sense tips on keeping important things in mind and letting go of the reactive living.
Jackie
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
There are a lot of good tips and powerful ideas in this book, but it can be overly wordy and difficult to read at times. Hanson goes a bit overboard with examples and synonyms which can confuse the reader on his main ideas.
April Dawn
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dr. Rick Hanson first established himself as a pioneer in contemplative sciences with his previous book,Buddha’s Brain. As he states on his website, “Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and other great teachers were all born with a brain built essentially like anyone else’s. Then they used their minds to change their brains in ways that changed history.” Seeking to explore, educate, & inspire ordinary humans that they too, can achieve greatness, Buddha’s Brain was born. Buddha’s Brain became wildly ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Aware: The Science and Practice of Presence--A Complete Guide to the Groundbreaking Wheel of Awareness Meditation Practice
  • Silence: The Power of Quiet in a World Full of Noise
  • Meditation Interventions to Rewire the Brain: Integrating Neuroscience Strategies for ADHD, Anxiety, Depression & PTSD
  • Aligned, Relaxed, Resilient: The Physical Foundations of Mindfulness
  • Body Sense: The Science and Practice of Embodied Self-Awareness (Norton Series on Interpersonal Neurobiology)
  • The Awakening Body: Somatic Meditation for Discovering Our Deepest Life
  • Somatic Descent: Experiencing the Ultimate Intelligence of the Body
  • Embodiment - Moving beyond mindfulness
  • Your Body is Your Brain: Leverage Your Somatic Intelligence to Find Purpose, Build Resilience, Deepen Relationships and Lead More Powerfully
  • Insight: How to succeed by seeing yourself clearly
  • Touching Enlightenment: Finding Realization in the Body
  • Our Pristine Mind: A Practical Guide to Unconditional Happiness
  • The Short Path to Enlightenment: Instructions for Immediate Awakening
  • Life Mastery
  • The Mountaintop School for Dogs and Other Second Chances
  • Master Your Next Move: Proven Strategies for Navigating the First 90 Days ― and Beyond
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Women and Leadership (with bonus article "Sheryl Sandberg: The HBR Interview") (HBR’s 10 Must Reads)
  • Insight: Why We're Not as Self-Aware as We Think, and How Seeing Ourselves Clearly Helps Us Succeed at Work and in Life
Rick Hanson, Ph.D., is a psychologist, Senior Fellow of the Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley, and New York Times best-selling author. His books are available in 26 languages and include Resilient, Hardwiring Happiness, Buddha’s Brain, Just One Thing, and Mother Nurture. He edits the Wise Brain Bulletin and has numerous audio programs. A summa cum laude graduate of UCLA and founder of the ...more
“Neurons that fire together, wire together.” 1 likes
“Being for yourself simply means that you care about yourself. You wish to feel happy instead of worried, sad, guilty, or angry. You want people to treat you well instead of badly. You want to help your future self—the person you’ll be next week, next year, next decade—to have as good a life as possible.” 0 likes