Start by marking “Just One Thing: Developing a Buddha Brain One Simple Practice at a Time” as Want to Read:
Just One Thing: Developing a Buddha Brain One Simple Practice at a Time

Just One Thing: Developing a Buddha Brain One Simple Practice at a Time

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  1,109 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
You've heard the expression, “It’s the little things that count.” It's more than a simple platitude. Research has shown that integrating little daily practices into your life can actually change the way your brain works.

This guide offers simple things you can do routinely, mainly inside your mind, that will support and increase your sense of security and worth, resilience,
Published October 1st 2011 by New Harbinger Publications (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Just One Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just One Thing

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
I love this book. It is so easy to use and the advice is really good. In fact, in today’s busy world, this book is a useful tool. I usually don’t review self-help books because I find the advice and the practices a bunch of useless babble. This book is just the opposite. It confirmed what I knew was already working in my life, and it gave easy, practical advice on how to enjoy the small things, to minimize the negative, and how to survive in a world that is whipping by us at warp speed.

From the
Emma Sea
i just got really, really bored about 40% in :(
Zen Nana
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
A couple of interesting thoughts crossed my mind as I began reading this book. The old saying about the teacher appearing when the student is ready was the first one. The second was about how it sometimes seems as if everyone suddenly has the same idea all at once. Maybe it's a "tipping point" thing, or an idea reaching "critical mass" and spreading suddenly throughout a population, just because it's time. As Victor Hugo wrote, "No army can stop an idea whose time has come."

So it was interesting
Amy
Dec 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
The only reason I finished this book was so I could justify rating it. Everything this book does has been done better else where. I think this book missed its calling in life as a blog.
Bonnie
Expected Publication Date: 10/1/2011

‘Just One Thing’ was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Smith Publicity.

This was a well written positive little how-to guide on how to be mindful of your happiness on a daily basis. This is a novel for everyone. It’s an easily understandable guide that doesn’t go into the ‘science’ of anything or even religion. This is definitely a great read for anyone interested in trying to make their days just a bit better.

The first time I read this novel I read it fro
Anuj
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mindfulness
Let me add at the onset that I am biased towards Rick Hanson. I had subscribed to his newsletter and was moved by one of his blogs; so I mailed him and he responded back, which I thought was great of him.

I borrowed this book from a friend who was visiting my city and finished it in a couple of days. The book is an extension of his blog - JOT - Just One Thing. Rather collection of his JOTs - fifty-two of them in this book, so it's a treasure.

A wealth of practices to undertake, to follow, so that
Becky
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mental-health
Just One Thing reads more like 52 disjointed, informal blog entries than an actual grown-up book. That wouldn't bother me so much if I had actually learned something -- anything -- remotely helpful, but... I'm still waiting for the day I find a self-help book for anxiety / depression that doesn't insult my intelligence by offering nothing but the most vague advice ever.

Self help books be like, "Eat right and exercise! Wake up at the same time everyday! Make time to do enjoyable things! Make frie
J
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is not a book you sit and read cover-to-cover. It's a book of 52 mindful practices that require thought and reflection, and of course, practice. Rick Hanson's compassion and wisdom come through on every page.

I originally checked this book out from the library, but after reading his introduction, I went out and purchased two copies: one for me and one for a friend. It's a book I want on my shelves and one I no doubt will return to again, and again.
Barrie
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Maybe if I owned this book I could really dive deep into every 52 'things' to truly develop--but honestly, this book just went too fast for me. It was a spitfire approach to making yourself better. I rather the story approach then these brief 'do this and that' approach. I did take a few things away from it, hence the 2 stars and not total suckage, but I actually prefer a book like The Happiness Project over this high-speed do a billion things to make your life better book. It was overwhelming t ...more
Shana Simmons
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book!
Karen Chung
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually I had pretty much figured out much of the stuff in this book through the School of Hard Knocks, but it's still worth reading and contains some quotable quotes.
Stephanie
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just one thing, read this daily just one time a day ... changes your frame of mind.
Nancy
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it gives practical ways in which to change life for the better without an overlay of any particular religion. I think a lot of practical wisdom gets missed when people see that it comes from a religious perspective. I know "Buddha" is in the title, but it is merely findings from neuroscience that guide the practices.
Lia
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
The introduction is worth the book. It's very simple in concept, but that's why it works. Check it out from your library and read the intro and then look through the sections. If it resonates, go forth and do the little things until you've altered your brain function.
Jackie
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
There are a lot of good tips and powerful ideas in this book, but it can be overly wordy and difficult to read at times. Hanson goes a bit overboard with examples and synonyms which can confuse the reader on his main ideas.
April Dawn
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dr. Rick Hanson first established himself as a pioneer in contemplative sciences with his previous book,Buddha’s Brain. As he states on his website, “Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and other great teachers were all born with a brain built essentially like anyone else’s. Then they used their minds to change their brains in ways that changed history.” Seeking to explore, educate, & inspire ordinary humans that they too, can achieve greatness, Buddha’s Brain was born. Buddha’s Brain became wildly su ...more
K
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was very excited to be given the opportunity to read Just One Thing before it’s publication date, given that it sounded like exactly the type of book that motivates, inspires and uplifts me. As the year draws to a close, I feel that have been needing all three!

Separated into more than fifty small, easily digestible entries, this book links Science with Buddhism to present some fantastically useful types on mindfulness, morality and overcoming challenges in life. While a few entries (understand
Kristin
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I listened to this one in the car, as part of my new commute. If one needs to learn how to cultivate a Buddha Brain, it is certainly during Seattle rush hour traffic.

I wouldn't characterize this as a self-help book (maybe just because that term makes me squirmy in general) so much as a series of thought exercises. Deceptively simple, but also increasingly profound--especially as the book progresses.

I'm not someone who needs to work at becoming less busy or over-committed (I've spent an adult li
Katty
A bit obvious at times, but Just One Thing is a nice introduction to mindfulness. It's straightforward with easy exercises and practices - from the physical (get more sleep) to the mental (learn to forgive yourself) to the social (respond to others thoughtfully). The sections are brief, with chapter headings to describe each practice, so it's easy to flip through and find what's relevant to you. Even though it gets a bit new-agey at times, this is a nice book for anyone who's skeptical or intimi ...more
Dolly
May 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of self-help books
Meh.

I was really hoping that this book would be more of a lesson on Buddhist teachings, thought, and practices.

But instead, it's a nonstop list/stream of consciousness/self-help jibber jabber where the author tries to convince the reader that she is a worthwhile person no matter how terrible a childhood she had.

While his suggestions are not bad, I just couldn't take the format. I listened to Fred Stella narrate the book on audio CD and it really was very irritating to listen to.

I absolutely n
Annie
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everybody
Recommended to Annie by: my daughter
This book has helped both my daughter and me. We started 2013 by #1)not looking back at the disappointments of 2012 and #2)by vowing to each other that we would practice mindfulness. I borrowed this book from the library but because I use it daily, I now own a copy. I read portions of it or use it as a reference tool, if there is a "one thing" that I need to practice (relaxing, feeling safe, needing strength, etc.). I also am giving myself one week for each of Dr. Hanson's 52 practices.
I like t
Louise Silk
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
If you are going to read one book about developing the Buddha within- this is the one. It is straight forward practical advice with 52 practices divided into 5 general headings: Be good to yourself; Enjoy life; Build strengths; Engage the world; Be at Peace.

For each of the practices,Dr. Hanson explains them and then tells you how to achieve the result using the fundamental phases to spiritual growth: being with the difficult old wounds; releasing the negatives like anger; and replacing it with s
Amanda
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Just One Thing is a very simple book of what to do to create a "Buddha brain" and how to do it. I felt like this book was a shell of the more informative and insightful book: "Buddha's Brain: the practical neuroscience of happiness, love & wisdom." Just One Thing offers 52 things you can do to help you achieve happiness, wisdom and love and get away from the brain's "negativity bias." I would be prepared to give this book more than a few reads if you really want to incorporate all of his adv ...more
Laura Siegel
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
The thesis of this book, and what I found the most interesting, is that our brains are genetically wired to be negative and anxious. This is a throwback to our ancestors who needed to be cautious at every moment. But, the author says, we can train our brains to look at the positive in our lives, thereby expanding that portion of our brain. Good bathroom reading but I was a bit disappointed that he didn't discuss staying in the moment to watch our negative thoughts pass. If we are truly genetical ...more
Kris
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was won through giveaways here on Goodreads. I have to say I love it. It's broken down in a way to not seem overwhelming. You can understand each point clearly and without a major overhaul of the brain. I like how you can pick one or as many practices to work on. And I will say I had to read Part One: Be Good to Yourself ten times before I was able to move on. Those points seem to be the basis of most of my issues. The chapter, Say Yes, hit me hard too. After reading I realized just ho ...more
Daphne Osoba
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirit
Must be read slowly. Each chapter addresses a different aspect of thinking and/or action, and requires time to absorb, and put into practice. Even then it requires lifelong practice, not necessarily any overnight change.

No doubt the author intentionally created 52 chapters, to equate to a full year - one chapter a week.
As a typically impatient westerner, having received it as a gift in January, it was finished by July, at two chapters per week.

However, it will be re-read, assuredly.
Joyce
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started to read this a few years ago and then things got so hectic that I forgot it. I intend to read it one chapter at a time and spend time reflecting on each chapter that I feel will be helpful to me. I have done that before with bible verses and enjoyed the results. Practice is the key and slowing down is important, especially with this type of book.
Update: As I read it is all good advice, organized in a nice way but I have already worked this out in my spiritual life. It would be a good
Rubina
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rick Hanson's early book, Buddha's Brain, is one of my favourite books. With Just One Thing, Hanson has written another great book on experience-dependent neuroplasticity. How you use your mind changes your brain. By being present, being mindful, being aware of right now, seeing the good in ourselves and our situation, and letting go, our brain will gradually take the shape of inner peace.
Written like a handy guide book comprising of 52 (one of each week of the year) little but important positiv
Lyz
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it
If I could give this book 3.5 stars, I totally would. It's better than a 3, but not quite a 4. I love that the book is broken into very bite-sized nuggets. I love that the author reinforces many of the same concepts I've been reading about in my mindfulness study these days. I love that he says those things in new (very quotable) ways. I don't like that many of the concepts are only touched on, and feel a bit shallow. But I understand that I am contradicting myself--how can a book be easy to che ...more
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
294.3444Hanson R

Dimmie Zeigler 4 stars
This book and it predecessor, Buddha Brain: The Practical Science or Happiness, Love and Wisdom, have had a profound impact on the path of self realization in my life. This book of simple practices helps one to focus on how their thinking affects their life and those around them. The little exercises are easy to follow and can easily fit into a daily routine.
  • The Mind's Own Physician: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama on the Healing Power of Meditation
  • True Refuge: Finding Peace and Freedom in Your Own Awakened Heart
  • The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • Beginner's Guide to Echolocation for the Blind and Visually Impaired: Learning to See With Your Ears
  • How to Train a Wild Elephant: And Other Adventures in Mindfulness
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • The Issue at Hand:  Essays on Buddhist Mindfulness Practice
  • How to Be Sick: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and Their Caregivers
  • The Buddha Is Still Teaching: Contemporary Buddhist Wisdom
  • Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory guide to Deeper States of Meditation
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • For a Future to Be Possible: Buddhist Ethics for Everyday Life
  • Conscious Living: Finding Joy in the Real World
  • Love Your Enemies: How to Break the Anger Habit & Be a Whole Lot Happier
  • Emotional Alchemy: How the Mind Can Heal the Heart
  • New Beliefs, New Brain: Free Yourself From Stress And Fear
  • How to Lose Weight in Your Sleep: Easy No Diet Weight Loss Secrets to Be at Your Dream Weight
Rick Hanson, Ph.D., is a psychologist, Senior Fellow of the Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley, and New York Times best-selling author. His books are available in 26 languages and include Hardwiring Happiness, Buddha’s Brain, Just One Thing, and Mother Nurture. He edits the Wise Brain Bulletin and has numerous audio programs. A summa cum laude graduate of UCLA and founder of the Wellspring ...more
More about Rick Hanson...

“Being for yourself simply means that you care about yourself. You wish to feel happy instead of worried, sad, guilty, or angry. You want people to treat you well instead of badly. You want to help your future self—the person you’ll be next week, next year, next decade—to have as good a life as possible.” 1 likes
“Neurons that fire together, wire together.” 1 likes