Start by marking “The Construction Crew” as Want to Read:
The Construction Crew

The Construction Crew

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  221 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The construction gang is tearing down an old building and laying the foundation for a new home. Workers use all kinds of trucks and tools to get the job done. And just in time for a family to move in.

The alliterative text complete with shout-out language that young children will love is just right for preschoolers.
Published November 8th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Construction Crew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Construction Crew

David Drent
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Currently my little 2 year old nephews favourite book. Keeps wanting people to read it to him.
Wanted me to read it this morning, made a bee-line straight for me.
Barbara
Many preschoolers will be delighted with this board book featuring a construction crew and all of its trucks at work as they demolish one old building to make room for its replacement--a new house and a family ready to make friends with any nearby neighbors. Not only do I like all the vehicles featured here as will its intended audience, but I appreciated how the author sets up a problem to be solved--for instance, a boulder that is in the way--and then points out which truck would be most usefu ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Meltzer, Lynn. The Construction Crew, illustrated by Carrie Eko-Burgess. Henry Holt and Company, 2017. $7.99. Content: G. BOARD BOOK.
The picture book version was published in 2011, this is the first board book edition. The author starts by introducing all the different types of construction trucks: wrecking ball, bulldozer, backhoe, dump truck, and cement mixer. Always with the catch phrase, “What do we need?” Whose needed next is the construction crew! They use drills, cherry pickers, hammer an
Ro
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
A rhyming story that introduces the basic equipment and skilled workers needed to build a new home. The tone is cheerful and upbeat, and young readers who are curious about big machines and how things are built will enjoy the text and illustrations. Both male and female machine operators and builders are showcased and the end result of all these machines and construction crew working together is a new home for a family and a getting together of neighbors to welcome them to the neighborhood.
Sarah Masterman
Read to a group of parents and 2-year olds. The bright illustrations and rhyming text made it fun. There is quite a lot of vocabulary in here and I think this book might work even better for a parent and child, where the child could learn to anticipate the coming words and insert them. I like that the book begins with removing an old building and ends with a family in their new home.
Esutterlin
Read this one over and over and over for children who are fans of trucks and construction stories.
Useful for storytimes.
Jennifer Kelley
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun book for storytime.
Frankie 1K B4 K
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect book read at library today for construction crew story time. Went over many different types of vehicles...from demolition to a new house. Lots of great rhyming!
Kelly
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the simple rhymes that clearly told what the different construction machines did. Simple illustrations.
Karen Burt
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a good book for pre-K or kindergarten. The pictures are very colorful and there are very few words on each page. Each page defines a term beginning with wrecking ball and ending with a home. I know the idea is to go through all the different stages of building. It did not make sense to me to tear something down to build a house, but that is the train of thought used in this book. Each page does have an easy definition of a word, with the word printed in a different color so it stands out ...more
The Library Lady
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If I had any money in my book budget right now I'd buy 2 more copies. Even with the sturdier book boards and stiffer paper, this one is going to get loved to death by little boys--and some little girls too.
Bright bold art, just enough text. Rhymes that work and formed in a question/answer form that will lead to shout outs and repeat readings.
In other words, a GREAT book to add to your shelves full of Margaret Mayo, Jonathan London, the McMullans and other current authors doing books of this ilk
Milo
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Milo by: Library book
"I love the wrecking ball."

I love construction right now. I love to play with large trucks. When we are driving, I ask Mama and Papa to slow down when we get near construction so that I can see the big machines working.

Mama likes this book because I am practicing the alphabet. This book has big lettered words. We can stop at each page and look at the letters and see how they make words that I am very interested in saying.
Heidi-Marie
Fun rhyming. Bright, cheerful pictures. I like the asking of what is needed--kids would love to call out, especially if they pick up on the rhyming part. This would work in a preschool storytime as well as a lap-read. But I really don't like the ending. In my speech, "poem" and "home" do not rhyme. If I do this in storytime, I'd skip that part.
Jj
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Nice bold + colorful illustrations, limited but fun (rhyming) text. I think this will be very popular with the toddler/preschool crowd who cannot get enough of the whole machines/things that go/construction sort of materials. I wish it were a bit larger trim size, but it is big enough to use successfully in a typical storytime setting.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Toddler Lap Time on 5/2/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Toddler Lap Time on 5/3/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Edna
Great read-aloud book that allows the listener to guess and say what vehicle or tool is needed to help build a new house in a new neighborhood. Simple, brightly colored block illustrations accent the vehicle and tool.
Natasha North
Dec 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great for the construction and tool-obsessed toddlers and young preschoolers in your life. Large, bright pictures with diverse characters will carry well for storytimes. There are even a few welcome atypical plot elements for a toddler construction book.
Erin
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Goes through most of the big machines used in construction, one per page, in a fun, rhyming fashion.

Good for toddler or preschool storytimes.
Susan  Dunn
Great bright illustrations and a good choice for focusing on vocabulary. I will definitely use this the next time I do a "Construction" storytime.
Melissa
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended by a mom whose little boy loves trucks and construction. I'd like to try this with my younger story time group.
Ecl  Storytellers
Describes different jobs on the construction site--call out the vehicle or tool!
Mercy
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Trucks, construction
Kendra
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Great construction book for toddlers, but it's a little long.
Miri
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I'm impressed that Meltzer was able to rhyme construction words so closely and in a way that didn't sound contrived. I bet this would be really fun for a preschool storytime.
Samantha
Bright pictures, diverse characters, and a rhyming chant that begs to be screamed aloud! Tons of fun!
Hannah
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: construction
Great book for learning the names of various construction vehicles!
Kristen Iworsky
Isaac and I love the illustrations. It's a simple fun book to read.
Richelle Rininger
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bright and colorful pictures. Great Book for Storytime.
Kris DeLabio
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture
Good color pictures. Easy rhymes with the building of a house.
Monica Williams
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
For construction site fans-a winner! Nice big bold graphics, a diverse crew- multiple races represented and some women included too- very good for kids to see that. Simple, but effective.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • There Was a Tree
  • Five Trucks
  • My Bus
  • Demolition
  • Chicken, Chicken, Duck!
  • Jazz Baby