Start by marking “Calvin and Hobbes” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Calvin and Hobbes

Bill Watterson

Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes #1)

4.61  ·  Rating details ·  120,187 Ratings  ·  716 Reviews
"Most people who write comic dialogue for minors demonstrate surprisingly little feel for - or faith in - the original source material, that is, childhood, in all its unfettered and winsome glory. It is in this respect that Bill Watterson has proved as unsusal as his feckless creations, Calvin and Hobbes. Watterson is the reporter who's gotten it right; childhood as it act ...more
Published May 11th 2011 by Sterling Publishing (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Calvin and Hobbes, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jasper OMG OF COURSE YOU SHOULD

Archit Ojha
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks

Strip after strip after strip.

Some books just win you over.

I too sleep with the baseball bat beside my bed to kill the monster lurking down it.

I wonder I still may not be old enough to not start doing this poll manipulation thing with my dad either.

I do not want my wife to have such a kid in the house. I want to be that kid rather.
We might consider a tiger instead.

With characters sketched up as well as these, you will be going out of your way not to give this one a 5 star.

Wonderful and addicti
Prashant
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
This is what I got in my mail box to cheer me up while I used to study late in the winter.

Too stressed with your schedule and cold??

Have a Calvin break

[image error]

Το Άσχημο Ρύζι Καρολίνα

Ο Κάλβιν είναι ένας εξάχρονος διαβολάκος που ζει με τη μαμά και τον μπαμπά του, τους οποίους συνηθίζει να φέρνει στα όρια νευρικής κρίσης. Ο αγαπημένος φίλος του, ο Χομπς, είναι ένας μικρός τίγρης. Μπορεί για όλους τους άλλους να μοιάζει ως ένα απλό λούτρινο ζωάκι, αλλά μέσα από τη ζωηρή φαντασία του πιτσιρικά, ο Χομπς, είναι ένα πλάσμα ζωντανό που μιλάει και τον συνοδεύει στις αταξίες και σε όλες τις μικρές και μεγάλες περιπέτειες της ζωής του. Συχνά ο Watterson παρουσιάζει σε διπλανά καρέ τον
Pooja
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
If you want to appreciate the peace in your life better than you do, want to realize and feel proud on its beauty, serenity and tranquility then you have to read Calvin and Hobbes.

Calvin is a 6-years old super intelligent, humorous and lazy kid, a kid whom you never wish you have in your life. Because he uses his intelligence in making people's life miserable! Not in an evil way, but a way not less than evil!

Hobbes is his stuffed tiger, calm, modest, sarcastic and funny who plays with Calvin and
Shayantani Das
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description

Who doesn’t love Calvin, the over imaginative, mischievous child, with his imaginary tiger friends Hobbes? His antics drive his parents to the brink of insanity and he loves pondering about his Captain Spiff fantasies during class. He is always either making excuses for not having the healthy (read: disgusting) food he has been served, or advocating children’s right to vote in crucial decision like bed time hours, or irritating his friends Susie.

Every page is funnier than the last one and the il
Orient
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the comics fans
Calvin is a fabulous kid with fantastic imagination and he has a stunning feature to drive mad everyone around.

Mad Tom

I don't know if I lived in a bomb shelter as a kid or was subject to a weird mind-altering device, but I don't remember ever reading Calvin and Hobbes. Like ever. And it's fantastic. The humor is totally smart and clever, and their friendship charming. It's funny how the parents really are the bad guys from Calvin's perspective, and we're not sure if Hobbes is real or imaginary. But I suppose if he's real to Calvin then he is real, isn't he?

Recommended for re-instilling optimism after the world
mina
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it love it love it!
One of the best comics ever!
Although it's just another story about a super hyperactive small boy and his imaginary friend, you love Calvin so much because of his hilarious "know-it-all" comments. He trashed through house, to the point that his parents hoped that they had dachsund instead.

(Heard from the doctor's examination room):
Calvin: "Hey, doc, why are you rubbing my arm with cotton? Are you going to put a leech there? ... Are you going to bleed me? You're not going
Dee
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: re-reads, favourites
Love, love, LOVE this cartoon! Especially love Calvin's dad and his explanations!! Oh, and Hobbes when he gets on the subject of girls. <3
Julia
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Calvin and Hobbes is the best comic of all time. I'm sure you've all heard of this, because Calvin and Hobbes has been around for a very long time. But for those who haven't read it, I say pick that comic book up right now! This book is comic strips about a six year old who hates school, homework, baths, his "evil" baby sitter, Rosalyn, and food his mother makes. Calvin's friend, Hobbes, is a stuffed tiger that comes to life when nobody is around except Calvin. His next door neighbor and ...more
Daniel
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Iskreno ne znam nikoga ko je uspeo na bolji i zabavniji nacin da prikaze psihu malog hiperaktivnog klinca bolje nego Vareson. Svaka cast.

Plus razasuto kroz celu knjigu ima i dosta interesantnih pitanja kao i konstatacija koje stvarno navode na razmisljanje.

Preporuka.
Ray Smith
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-strips
Calvin and Hobbes became a favorite of mine back in the mid 80s. In black and white on the pages of the Indianapolis Star I followed the young boy - Calvin - an imaginative (understatement) 1st grader, and his often times alive, sometimes stuffed-tiger sidekick Hobbes, who very often was Calvin's conscience (yes, rarely listened to!).

Many of us can relate to the story of a young boy and his favorite stuffed animal going to far away worlds on other planets, to prehistoric earth, or just being a
orsodimondo
SCUSATE IL RITARDO
CALVIN AND HOBBES è geniale.
Finora avevo letto poche strisce sui giornali americani e questo è il primo volume che mi godo: da qui la richiesta di scuse per il ritardo. Ma farò ammenda, ne leggerò presto altri.

Mi piace tutto: il disegno, il testo, i personaggi, le strisce di lunghezza normale e quelle che durano una pagina intera.
E' irriverente come devono essere i fumetti di valore.
E' divertente, anzi spassoso.
Rispetto ai mitici meravigliosi Peanuts, aggiunge il mondo degl
rahul
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

And, this is one of my favorites

Antonio
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Childhood as it actually is" is the best definition of this book so far.
Biondy
Duh, ceritanya. Lucu dengan satire dan komentar sosial di beberapa bagian. Kasihan sih sebenarnya sama orang tuanya si Calvin ini. Pasti pusing punya anak hiperaktif yang punya segudang ulah kayak si Calvin ini :)).

Di sini dunia anak-anaknya tergambarkan sekali, ya. Batas antara realita dan imajinasi sangat tipis. Si Calvin ini juga sebenarnya sadar akan keduanya, tapi dia lebih cenderung untuk (memilih, atau mungkin juga secara alami) bermain di dalam dunia fantasinya.
Ruel
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been years since I've read any of the Calvin and Hobbes comics and when I stumbled across this first volume at the library, I couldn't help devouring it in one sitting. This book serves as an excellent reminder of why Calvin and Hobbes was so popular in its day and why it is so revered now: Bill Watterson created a brilliant and charming character in six-year-old Calvin. The little boy is hilarious and adorable, especially when his stuffed tiger Hobbes comes to life. Whether sledding in the ...more
Faith
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humour
Recommended to Faith by: My dad
Shelves: favorites
Oh wow. I think these books might be longest-loved on my favorites list. My dad read these a long long time ago and gave them to me to read, I might have been six.
I liked these books at first, but now I love them. I must have memorized a full book's worth of comic strips and was very disappointed when they stopped being in the newspaper comic strip section! They're funny, sweet, and evil. Calvin's morbid sense of humor and wide vocabulary and mature way of thinking mixed with his slight little-
Vanessa
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Calvin and Hobbes, and the first edition of the collections was no different. If ever I need to feel uplifted, and have a little chuckle to myself, then I can just go back to the child tearaway that is Calvin, and the imaginary friend I always wished I'd had that is Hobbes. My favourite cartoon series of all time, and a delightful first collection.
Issa
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My childhood favourite comic strip. Reading it nowadays brings you back to the feeling of endless summer days spent with your best friends... Real or imagined
Nathan D
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calvin and Hobbes are tow of the most likeable and characters you will fine in this fun advancer you will fined comady and lots of fun you rely need to read this book.
Logan
Logan carries around his best stuffed friend, Cuddles, who is a white tiger, so he and Calvin have something in common. Some of the stuff went over Logan's head and I had to explain it, but overall, lots of laughs. Logan's never been to school, so there was some unfamiliar territory there, but he watches Johnny Test, which has clued him in to all the school talk and the issues with school, so he gets why Calvin hates school. He knows what it means to be called to the principal, to be scolded for ...more
Summer
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-faves
THIS IS THE CUTEST BOOK EVER.

I remember reading this book back when I was younger, and to this day, I stand by the belief that this book is utterly and undeniably ADORABLE. Not only it is cute, it's also hilarious, always managing to put a smile on my face.

I am not that into comic books, but this book exposed me to the world of comics, a genre I would not have ventured into if not for Calvin and Hobbes. I recommend this book to readers of all ages, as this book is in no way exclusive to one age
Staci
Dec 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book belongs to my son Marc. He left this on the stairs and needless to say I picked it up and started reading it. Couldn't stop!! I loved Calvin and Hobbes when I was a teen. Marc has loved it since I can remember. No wonder....he is Calvin!!!! I laughed out loud so many times and that is because 20 years ago I read it and saw the world from Calvin's eyes. Now I'm reading it and sympathizing with Calvin's parents!!! Everyone needs a good dose of laughter. Read this, it won't disappoint!
Kyo
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adore Calvin and Hobbes: it's constantly funny which is quite a feat where there are so many comics in one book.

This was great to read in between studying for my exams because I could simply read one or two and finish them in a short time, but it still made me laugh and relax a bit, so absolutely great!
Sohini Sarker
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am Calvin.
I have always been Calvin.
Groundwood (MZ)
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
a hilarious comic book. the relationship between calvin and hobbe's is inspiring. I just loved it.
sologdin
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
paradigmatic trenchcoat mafia type has psychotic fantasies, wars against the cool kids, and engages in reckless recreations.
Kluxorious Kluxces
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
this is my childhood. how can I not love this
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, graphic-novel
This is probably my fifth time to read this book and it's just as precious as ever. This time I read it with an eye towards using it in my classroom, especially with my struggling readers. I saw several panels for sorting in chronological order and some for predictions. There are several opportunities for inferencing and a fee for making connections or completing the story.

I think this could be a valuable resource.
Indonesians Who L...: Calvin and Hobbes 6 46 Apr 07, 2015 07:08PM
this is the funniest comic i ever read 24 110 Jan 05, 2015 10:23PM
High Art? 5 70 Feb 27, 2014 10:28PM
just put funny random stuff 4 43 Jun 12, 2012 12:33PM
  • Far Side Gallery 2
  • Bloom County: Loose Tails
  • FoxTrot: The Works
  • Fugitive from the Cubicle Police
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more
More about Bill Watterson...

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Something Under the Bed is Drooling: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • The Days Are Just Packed: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • There's Treasure Everywhere: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • It's a Magical World: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
“People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children.” 114 likes
“Hey Dad, will you buy me a flame thrower?

Of course not. Don't be silly.

Even if I didn't use it in the house?”
100 likes