Start by marking “Viscount Breckenridge to the Rescue (Cynster #16; The Cynster Sisters Trilogy, #1 )” as Want to Read:

Viscount Breckenridge to the Rescue

(The Cynster Sisters Trilogy #1)

The Cynsters are back in a brilliant new series from USA Today and New York Times bestseller Stephanie Laurens! Fans adore Laurens’s irrepressible fictional family of sexy scoundrels and passionate ladies and their amorous Regency Era exploits. In Laurens’s sensational new Cynster historical romance, it’s Viscount Breckenridge to the Rescue when feisty Heather Cynster step ...more
Published August 30th 2011 by Avon Books (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Viscount Breckenridge to the Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Viscount Breckenridge to the Rescue

Chy
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I need a special rating for romance. One that depicts, "Oh, you know; 'historical' romance." There are a lot of things that are so typical to the genre that I'd get tired of complaining about them in every review, and this one has all of them.

What entertains me is finding the ones that sway away from the "norms." You know, heroines that don't have "delicate" hands, men who don't make every woman they meet swoon.

(I'm still in love with Deborah Simmons for that one hero of hers that's oh-so-dreamy
Lisa Kay
Hadrian's Wall in Scotland,
built by the Romans around AD 122

★★★★☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) I’ve never hear Matthew Brenher narrate before, but I liked his reading of this first in The Cynster Sisters Trilogy. He enunciates nicely and has a great Scottish accent, where applicable. Sometimes he needs to pause a bit, as he seemed to drone on at times, but I think that was due to my having read so many of this author’s books and she gets repetitive. It isn’t easy for a man to read me the
Amanda
Why do I do this to myself?? I stopped reading anything by Stephanie Laurens a while ago, but for some reason I picked this up when I saw it in the library. And nothing has changed.
The heroine in every Stephanie Laurens book I've read is so ridiculously stubborn, I want to pull my hair out.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want my heroines to be prissy little shrews. A woman can be independent and strong without having to bend every man to her will, or go against everything anyone el
Cristina
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! ❤
Mystery, romance, suspense, unknown characters, old times, an abduction, a hero, an old flame... this sums it up.
Can’t wait to read the next book.
Treece
Rating: stars

Heather Cynster starts off as a strong, intelligent h and later devolves into an annoying, clueless and yes, pushy twerp. The entire time, Timothy Davers aka Breckenridge, clearly loves her, works a bit of James Bond magic with disguise minus the gimmicks. And yet Heather is blind far too long. So long, in fact, I lost interest in whether or not if Breckenridge would oblige her. Nothing she did followed logic at all. Not until fate steps in to intervene.

Richard/Scandal & Catrion
Minna
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
Big. Fat. MEH. Every Stephanie Laurens I read is worse and worse. Since when did Ms. Laurens begin writing, a la Nora Roberts, in short, choppy sentences? It was almost painful to read, and frankly I felt as though my intelligence was being insulted.

The initial premise (abduction for mysterious reasons by a mysterious nobleman) was promising. It quickly devolved into Heather (which reminds me, which early 18th century noblewomen were named Heather? Isn't that a MallRats kind of name?) being Sup
Ana
Summary:

Determined to hunt down her very own hero, one who will sweep her off her feet and into wedded bliss, and despairing of finding him in London's staid ballrooms, Heather Cynster steps out of her safe world and boldly attends a racy soiree.

But her promising hunt is ruined by the supremely interfering Viscount Breckenridge, who whisks her out of scandal-and straight into danger when a mysterious enemy seizes her, bundles her into a coach, and conveys her out of London.

Now it's up to the
Kaetrin
Aug 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Why I Listened: That's a question I asked myself numerous times throughout the book. Seriously though, I reviewed it for the Speaking of Audiobooks column at AAR but my review (rant) is just too long for the column. So, with permission, I'm posting it here. Read on at your peril.

What it's about: Viscount Breckenridge to the Rescue is the first book in the Cynster Brides series by Australian author Stephanie Laurens. Heather Cynster, daughter of Martin and Celia, is abducted from a soiree in Lond
Susan (susayq ~)
What a great story! In my opinion, this was not a typical Stephanie Laurens book. For me, there was a touch more humor, and a lot more action. I love the overlying story arch that is flowing through this book and leads to the next one. I am dying to find out about the Laird and his mother and why she's having him do what he's doing.
The UHQ Nasanta

Short review: If you've read one Cynster book, no need to read another; you've read them all.

Long review: Silly me. I had hoped that a year or two (or more) without a Laurens book would be long enough to get me to like her next offerings. Unfortunately, it was not so. The same style, the same descriptions, the same alpha male, the same headstrong female. Blah.

Adding insult to injury, this book was boring. The pacing was slow, slow, slow. The first half of the book is the journey to Gr
Susan
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take one independent, stubborn, intelligent Cynster female, add one stubborn yet clueless alpha male, mix well with a kidnapping and escape and sit back and watch the fireworks. At the beginning of the book these two, who have known each other for several years, can't seem to get along. She feels he is far too interfering in her life, and he thinks she is young and reckless. When Breckenridge witnesses her getting kidnapped, he takes off after her, prepared to rescue her. What he finds is that H ...more
Chitra *CJ*
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: v-card
Overall, a good read.
Heather and Breckenridge; or viscount Timothy (he's never addressed as that though) are nemesis (who secretly lust after one another). One night, while Heather is out to trap a husband, and Timothy drives her away; she ends up getting kidnapped and Timothy ends up chasing her- thats the first half of the book. The rest half is them making love, pushing away, some minor hindrances and angst, and then a HEA.
This one stretched a bit too long for me. They both deliberately kept
Minh
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
After reading so many Suspense novels lately where the Heroine is barging into situations blindly it was refreshing to meet Heather who was pretty much cut along the same grain as these other women, but with one difference. SHE HAD A BIT OF SENSE.

The first half was great fun to read, although I still think there's no way there could have been a trio of criminals who were touted to be so clever and yet be so stupid that Heather was able to sneak away from them every night!

That said, what the hel
ShoSho
I usually rate a book compared to what else I have read from the author or the other books in the series .This was a really good book (4.5 stars) compared to the others in the series , so I'm going to give it 5 stars .
I enjoyed it very much , didn't skip much as usually do with the love scenes in SL books . It had mystery (which wasn't solved ), excitement, a good romance and a great hero and heroine and the buddy read was so much fun .

Looking forward to reading the next one !
Kristi Davis
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars!

I was thrilled when I saw Pam from Avon post on Facebook asking if anyone was interested in previewing the new Stephanie Laurens book. Um, yes! She is one of my 'Must Read' authors and up in my special bookcase so I would love to get my grubby hands on that ebook! Especially a full month early... I did a little dance as I downloaded it!

Viscount Breckenridge to the Rescue is the 1st in a new trilogy yet it's the 16th Cynster novel. If you haven't read Laurens before, don't fret, you
Mary Gramlich
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
VISCOUNT BRECKENRIDGE to the RESCUE by Stephanie Laurens
A Cynster Novel
08/11 - HarperCollins Publishers - Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages

When you go looking for a hero, will anything less than that be acceptable?

Well-bred Heather Cynster is 25 and sitting on the never getting married shelf. The one night she decides to live life outside the boundaries of proper society two terrible things happen – she meets the bane of her existence Timothy Danvers, Viscount Breckenridge, and finds herself bein
Erin
Jan 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
I only occasionally read these types of romance books and this book is a perfect example of why that is the case. The author is obviously capable of crafting a tale. I was interested in what was happening and impressed by her descriptive prowess. That said, I found the characters revolting and incredibly caricatured. Seriously? The man has to be constantly described as a "warrior" or "masculine." And I lost count of the number of times the author referred to him as "the foremost rake of the ton. ...more
Kit★
Cynster buddy read time again! I actually liked this one really well and give it 3.75 Stars! I have to say it was a happy surprise for me to enjoy it. I'm kinda really wanting to get to the next one, though sadly I have to wait until June 27th for our next buddy read, which is entirely too far away for my tastes at this moment :(
I really liked Breckenridge (Breckie!), he was the typical strong, protective, stubborn SL hero, but he never really did anything to annoy me like some of them do. I lik
Diana
It was ok, unfortunately, all of the books are starting to become alike, someone is kidnapped, they get rescued, fall in love and marry the hero.

Re-read/listen 2017

Still not one of my favorites in the Cynster books. Heather reads as very young and naive for her age. Even in that era.
SheLove2Read
Aug 14, 2011 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was doing nothing for me. The writing was fine, just not an interesting story once I started reading.
Melanie (Moviemavengal)
The last 100 pages were too long and tedious in getting him to admit his love.
Lisa
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Heather Cynster knew that her latest plan to find a suitable husband was doomed the instant she set foot in Lady Herford's salon." And so begins the adventure of Heather Cynster and her search for her hero. Heather quickly catches the sharp hazel eyes of Viscount Breckenridge, family friend, and decides to just ignore him and pray he leaves her be. That is not to be so and Breckenridge gracefully helps the bane of his existence exit the salon....only to watch her be kidnapped before she can rea ...more
Lissy Liz
These Cynster sisters and their heroes, make me want one of my own 😜
Book Binge
When word got to me that Stephanie Laurens was writing a new series, I was hopeful that I'd enjoy it as much as I enjoyed (if not more) than the last series, The Black Cobra Quartet. I picked up this book thinking that it would be another wonderful start to a great series and while I enjoyed it, I didn't absolutely love it. I will say that Stephanie Laurens knows how to tell a story that makes you want to keep with the story until the very end. She does a fantastic job of hooking her claws into ...more
Among The Muses
A kidnapping, a journey, self-discovery, and an unmistakable love fueled by unbridled passion are just some of the aspects that make up this odyssey-like, romantic historical read.

The hero and heroine have a strong aversion to each other ... right? Viscount Breckenridge *is* after all one of the most notorious rakes of England. And Heather Cynster is one of the most strong-willed and stubborn twenty-five year-old Lady's of the ton. Yet .. a passion neither expects nor necessarily welcomes -- at
Mandi Schreiner
Heather Cynster is 25 and almost on the shelf. Tired of the same crowd, she decides to sneak out to a more risqué party, to see if she can find the man of her dreams in a new social circle. Instead she finds her nemesis, Viscount Breckenridge. These two have known each other for many years, and have never gotten along. He firmly steers her towards the door, before she can witness anything improper for a lady of good standing.

Before she makes it to her carriage though, she is kidnapped by unknown
Jen Davis
This book was not a winner for me. It had some redeeming qualities, but more often than not, it left me frustrated and annoyed with the main characters.

At 25, Heather Cynster isn't quite on the shelf, but she is probably facing her last season. So she decides to take her love life into her own hands and to go in search of her own hero. She ventures out to a scandalous party and comes face to face with Viscount Breckenridge, the bane of her existence. Breckenridge ushers her away from the party a
Debbie
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie Laurens has been a long time favorite author of mine but I have to admit after the disaster of a series, The Black Cobra Quartet, I was a little leery of picking up another book from her. The fact that I have loved her Cynster books was the sole reason I chose to and believe me it was a good decision. This book renewed my love of Laurens writing and my love of the Cynster family. This family is not only made up of strong willed, over bearing men who also possess hearts of gold but the ...more
LaFleurBleue
After skimming other reviews, I was anxious to start this instalment and positively hate Heather the heroine, from the start. I did not find her that stupidly stubborn as some other. I really liked the kidnapping plot and could understand Heather's conviction that she had to learn more about it and as much as possible to protect her siblings. I had more difficulty to relate with Breckenridge who seemed too weak for a long while in the book, as if understanding Heather's claim made him submitting ...more
Laura Riley
This was my first foray into the "Cynster" world, and frankly, I wasn't hooked. I thought the plot was a little lengthy for my taste and took too much time to develop. *Spoiler alert: the three/four day travel sequence was ridiculous and didn't need to drag on as much as it did. There was a weird paranormal element added towards the end of the book, and I'm only assuming that in order to understand it, one needed to have read the previous works of Laurens. Laurens also left me hanging, which I u ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
  • One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #2)
  • As You Wish (Time of Transition, #2)
  • Taken by the Prince (Governess Brides #10)
  • Hoodoo Money, First Edition
  • Tempted At Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #4)
  • His Mistress by Christmas (Mistress Trio, #2; Sinful Family Secrets, #1)
  • Stealing Kevin's Heart
  • The Seduction of an English Scoundrel (Boscastle, #1)
  • Takedown (1Night Stand, #13)
  • A Winter Scandal (Legend of St. Dwynwen, #1)
  • How to Woo a Reluctant Lady (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #3)
  • Highland Rogue, London Miss
  • Lord Langley Is Back in Town (Bachelor Chronicles, #8)
  • Taming an Impossible Rogue (Scandalous Brides, #2)
  • Skin (Hot Cops, #2)
  • The Revenge of Lord Eberlin (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #2)
  • My Dangerous Duke (Inferno Club, #2)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie

The Cynster Sisters Trilogy (3 books)
  • In Pursuit of Eliza Cynster (Cynster, #17; The Cynster Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • The Capture of the Earl of Glencrae (Cynster, #18; The Cynster Sisters Trilogy, #3)
“A man who declares his heart too early will leave you wondering whether he truly meant it." ~Catriona” 10 likes
“Don't misunderstand, but how dare you risk your life? What the devil did you think, to leap over like that? You could have stayed safe on this side and just helped me over." Even to her ears, her tone bordered on the hysterical.
Beneath her fingers, the white lawn started to redden.
She sucked in a shaky breath. "How could you risk your life-your life, you idiot!" She leaned harder on the pad, dragged in another breath.
He coughed weakly, shifted his head.
"Don't you dare die on me!"
His lips twisted, but his eyes remained closed. "But if I die"-his words were a whisper-"you won't have to marry, me or anyone else. Even the most censorious in the ton will consider my death to be the end of the matter. You'll be free."
"Free?" Then his earlier words registered. "If you die? I told you-don't you dare! I won't let you-I forbid you to. How can I marry you if you die? And how the hell will I live if you aren't alive, too?" As the words left her mouth, half hysterical, all emotion, she realized they were the literal truth. Her life wouldn't be worth living if he wasn't there to share it. "What will I do with my life if you die?"
He softly snorted, apparently unimpressed by-or was it not registering?-her panic. "Marry some other poor sod, like you were planning to."
The words cut. "You are the only poor sod I'm planning to marry." Her waspish response came on a rush of rising fear. She glanced around, but there was no one in sight. Help had yet to come running.
She looked back at him, readjusted the pressure on the slowly reddening pad. "I intend not only to marry you but to lead you by the nose for the rest of your days. It's the least I can do to repay you for this-for the shock to my nerves. I'll have you know I'd decided even before this little incident to reverse my decision and become your viscountess, and lead you such a merry dance through the ballrooms and drawing rooms that you'll be gray within two years."
He humphed softly, dismissively, but he was listening. Studying his face, she realized her nonsense was distracting him from the pain. She engaged her imagination and let her tongue run free. "I've decided I'll redecorate Baraclough in the French Imperial style-all that white and gilt and spindly legs, with all the chairs so delicate you won't dare sit down. And while we're on the subject of your-our-country home, I've had an idea about my carriage, the one you'll buy me as a wedding gift..."
She rambled on, paying scant attention to her words, simply let them and all the images she'd dreamed of come tumbling out, painting a vibrant, fanciful, yet in many ways-all the ways that counted-accurate word pictures of her hopes, her aspirations. Her vision of their life together.
When the well started to run dry, when her voice started to thicken with tears at the fear that they might no longer have a chance to enjoy all she'd described, she concluded with, "So you absolutely can't die now." Fear prodded; almost incensed, she blurted, "Not when I was about to back down and agree to return to London with you."
He moistened his lips. Whispered, "You were?"
"Yes! I was!" His fading voice tipped her toward panic. Her voice rose in reaction. "I can't believe you were so foolish as to risk your life like this! You didn't need to put yourself in danger to save me."
"Yes, I did." The words were firmer, bitten off through clenched teeth.
She caught his anger. Was anger good. Would temper hold him to the world?
A frown drew down his black brows. "You can't be so damned foolish as to think I wouldn't-after protecting you through all this, seeing you safely all this way, watching over you all this time, what else was I going to do?”
7 likes