Start by marking “Indelible (Grant County, #4)” as Want to Read:
Indelible (Grant County, #4)

Indelible (Grant County #4)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  26,525 Ratings  ·  814 Reviews
The fourth Grant County novel

When medical examiner Sara Linton and police chief Jeffrey Tolliver take a trip away from the small town of Heartsdale, it should be a straightforward weekend at the beach. But they decide to take a detour via Jeffrey's hometown and things go violently wrong when Jeffrey's best friend Robert shoots dead an intruder who breaks into his home. Jef
Published July 25th 2005 by Arrow (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Indelible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indelible

Matthew
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid thriller/mystery

As I am getting more and more used to Slaughter's writing style I have been enjoying them a lot more. Her stories are dark and brutal. The mystery is twisted and not always what it seems. There are lots of characters you love to hate. Throughout the story you never know who is innocent and who is guilty - and it is changing all the time.

Another word of warning on her brutality. The male characters tend to be angry, deviant, abusive jerks - and some of that even describes
Jonetta
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Sara Linton visits Jeffrey at the police station and becomes embroiled in a deadly shootout and hostage situation. The story alternates between this tense showdown and that of Sara and Jeffrey's early relationship.

I thought the alternating stories were done brilliantly. At first, I was impatient, wanting to get on with what was happening at the station. But soon I was just as hooked by the revelations of Jeffrey's past. It wasn't immediately clear how the two would relate but I trusted that it
Karin Slaughter
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

What I like about this book is you get to see where Jeffrey grew up.
Mo
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author's note.

"Sticklers for order who ask "where do I start" reading the Grant County series have two choices. You can go with Blindsighted, which is technically the first book, or you can start with Indelible, which is the "origin story" for Sara and Jeffrey. I always write my books so that anyone can pick up any book and know what's going on and who is who, but I am the type who has to read in order, so I know this is an important question."

Do I agree? Mmmmm ... not sure. I am a stickle
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
This is my absolute favourite of this series.

I have read Indelible several times, and now listened on audio. A brilliant, exciting, tense plot whichever way you choose to 'read' it.

Highly recommended.
Kelli
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Leave it to me to select the audio without realizing it was part of a series. In my defense, it didn't indicate that but luckily, the author herself states that those new to the Grant County series can start here at (gulp) book four or at the logical beginning with book one. This reminded me on some level of my days when I read anything Patricia Cornwell. It was entertaining enough but I didn't love it. There is a good chance that is because I didn't begin at the beginning, but it is just as lik ...more
Hollis
Totally not sure how to rate this one. Unlike the early Grant County novels, this isn't a horror show and instead is a total drama-fest. Like.. my mind is blown and I'm overwhelmed by the drama. Not really in a good way, either, as I feel it went a little bit past acceptable amount and into overkill (no pun intended). These characters are exhausting me.

That said, I really liked how the action of this plot unfolded in the present day scenes. That was seriously fucking intense. But of course it wo
Kate
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I do not have enough good things to say about this series. This book in particular was one of my favorites. My jaw was dropping within the first 5 pages and I continued to be surprised throughout the whole book.

In this Grant County novel, the story is being told from present day but also flashes back to when Sara and Jeffrey first met. At first this kind of threw me off but you really get to hear the background on their story and we get to find out a lot about Jeffrey's past which I really love
Brenda H
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indelible is the 4th book in the Grant County series by Karin Slaughter and my favorite so far.

Sara Linton, the town's pediatrician and part-time ME, is at the police station dropping off an autopsy report. While there, she stops to talk to Jeffrey Tolliver, the Chief of Police - as well as her ex-husband and current lover. While there, 2 young men enter the station and begin shooting the police officers, including Jeffrey. This begins a tense hostage situation.

The hostage storyline alternates w
Bill Garrison
After reading INDELIBLE by Karin Slaughter, I will have now read all of her novels. I realized after reading that I always liked the character Jeffrey Toliver, because he seemed to be the only normal character of the bunch. Well, not after reading this book. It is Tolliver's turn to have his sordid, twisted past revealed. The novel opens with a horrific shootout at the police station where kids are taken hostage and cops are killed.
With the hostages in a standoff, the story skips back in time to
Janet
Indelible is book four in the Grant County series. As the blurb states, the book starts off with a powerful opening. A shooting taking place in the police station kicks off the storyline with timeframes switching between past and present. Here we find out a lot more of Chief Tolliver's background, where he grew up and how events come together to lead to today's shooting.

I can't say I liked this book as much as the others in the series. I enjoyed learning more about Linton's and Tolliver's relati
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Another great read by Karin Slaughter...I don't know what else to say. She is a master at dark, emotional, heartbreaking suspense. Couldn't put it down.
Coni Warren
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book starts with a shooting and hostage situation at the police station and then alternates back to the beginning of Jeffrey and Sara’s relationship with him showing her the small Alabama town he grew up in. The two events are tied together but it takes a bit to find out how and why.

I really liked the back and forth. Both situations were very tense but I did find the stuff in the past the most interesting. I loved how so many people were not telling the entire story about a situation which
Mike
Only 2 Stars for this one. Virtually no character in the book is attractive or sympathetic. Depressing scenery, confusing timelines with flashbacks every other chapter. Loved the first book of hers that I read, Triptych, but the Grant County series hasn't clicked and actually I only finished this one because I wanted to see how little I could care about the characters. Except for a couple of minor players, don't care about any of them.
Jenny Jo Weir
This book started out incredible!!! I loved the shock value at the beginning. It was a big bang...but then it goes back in time and starts telling the story of what leads to the incident and well, it was all just a little too much for my liking. There was a LOT of drama and too many problems. It seemed overly done and lost me due to it. Overall though, its a very good book and I'm still a huge fan of the series, just feel maybe she crammed a little too much into this one book.
Wendy
Nov 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-Read
Indelible is book #4 and a wonderful addition to the Grant County series!
Marnie  Krüger
This is definitely my favorite book in the Grant County series!

This is the origin story of Jeffrey and Sara, combined with the most horrible of events anyone of them has ever faced.

I never were a Jeffrey fan, but after Indelible I am in love...
Also seeing a younger version of Sara just made her so much more real.

I can't wait to see what is next in line for them.

O, and Lena...
Lena is finally growing up!
✨Susan✨
I think this is the best book in this series so far. In the last couple of books it was going towards a soap opera drama. This was a fast pace mystery with two time lines.
WendyB
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I don't like Jeffrey, and Lena is annoying the crap out of me.
Nat
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think if this book had been written by anyone other than Karin Slaughter it would've gotten a lower rating, but because she manages to surprise me every time I read one of her books I have to give her credit. Grant County isn't as strong as the Will Trent series (probably because I love Will Trent himself if I'm being honest) but I like the grittiness. As always, Slaughter delivers a strong mystery that I truly, honestly did not see coming. The only real downside came in the form of interperso ...more
 Olivermagnus
When the book starts off, pediatrician and part-time medical examiner Sara Linton stops by the police station in her small Georgia town. She's dropping off an autopsy report, but she's also hoping to check in with police chief Jeffrey Tolliver, her ex-husband and current lover. While talking to Jeffrey, two young men rush into the police station and start shooting, killing several officers, wounding others, and taking everyone else hostage. Sara realizes almost immediately that this is more than ...more
Mark
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the better written crime novels.
This is essentialy a prequel story within a story that takes place in modern time.

In the beginning of their relationship Jeffrey Tolliver took his girlfriend Sara Linton to his hometown. Here they get involved in a murder-case that will change the nature of their relationship. When a second dead body is found Jeffrey Tolliver is faced again by his past and his friendships.

In Grant county two men walk into the police station ask for the police chief Tolliver and start killing policemen. Sara Lint
Holly
2 1/2 - 3 Stars

This installment of the Grant County series left me quite disappointed.

I was anxious to finally read about the early days of Jeffery & Sara's relationship, but the mingled past/present storylines ended up being rather dull. And the inevitable resolution to both stories were more than lacking.

I have a love/hate relationship with Lena throughout this series, and while she had a much smaller role in this book than she has in the previous books, I found myself liking her characte
Freda Malone
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel in the series was a surprise. Having the opportunity to learn more about how Chief Tolliver and Sara Linton met and dated was nothing short of intense and was enlightening to say the least. Sometimes if you look into the past and history of an individual; or in this case, a character, you'll find out why certain attributes are ingrained into these characters and how they became the person they are. Phobias, habits, attitudes and notions included.

I enjoyed this part in the series beca
Maureen DeLuca
For me, only 2 stars. This book is a must read if you want to know the details of how Jeffrey and Sara met, and mostly about Jeffrey's past- his home life, friends and family. I did find some of it interesting. I stuck with it for the simple fact I am determined to finish up this series , in order.
Anna Ragsdale
a look into Jeffrey and Sara's past! how exciting! i was always curious to learn about where he grew up and was worried i wouldn't be able to find out. this was probably my favorite so far out of the series. on to the next!
K.
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Trigger warnings: mass shooting, hostage situation, rape (mentions of and flashbacks to), murder, gore, violence, homophobia, PTSD, alcohol and drug abuse, domestic violence, child neglect.

27/11/2017
I was a little hesitant to reread this one after A Faint Cold Fear was such a struggle for me. But I was hooked from chapter 1 and sped through this in two days. The book begins with Sara going to meet Jeffrey at the police station. While she's there, a group of young men burst in and start shooting.
Amy
I'm finding it hard to rate this one. Her writing is almost always a five and this story, in particular, I should rate at least a four star. Her plotting, her character development is never less than a five star read.

I just couldn't get into this one as much. It took me forever to finish. Even when I liked it the most, I found myself just reading a bit at a time. I definitely foresaw the end though, minus one major plot twist. And I think maybe just the hillbilly setting is what turned me off s
MadProfessah
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
Whoa! Definitely the best of the Grant County novels so far, perhaps because it has the smallest amount of Lena and much more of Jeffrey and Sara. Really Jeffrey is the main character, especially in the earlier time line set in his hometown of Sylacauga, Alabama.

Slaughter really does an excellent job of mixing mystery, suspense and romance in her Grant County books and she is at the very top of her game in Indelible. When the hostage situation started I was annoyed about the sudden time switch t
Andrew
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very enjoyable read, but it did take me quite a while to get into the book with the two different stories from the different timelines. However once I did get into the book it was well worth it. It was good to find out more about the backstory of Jeffery and the early days of the Jeffrey and Sara story.
What was the mystery around Smith's watch? 2 33 Oct 14, 2015 07:56AM
Gwinnett County P...: Karin Slaughter - Grant County series 1 16 Jan 03, 2013 09:16AM
  • Die For Me (Romantic Suspense, #7; Daniel Vartanian, #1)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • 14 (Taylor Jackson, #2)
  • Merciless (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #3)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • The Wire in the Blood (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #2)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me (Lucy Kincaid, #2)
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her eighteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated Cop Town and the instant New York Times bestselling novels Pretty Girls and The Good Daughter. Slaughter is the founder of the Save the Libr ...more
More about Karin Slaughter

Grant County (6 books)
  • Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)
  • Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Faithless (Grant County, #5)
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • What the Dead Know
    $8.74 $2.99
  • Ragdoll (Detective William Fawkes #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • In a Cottage In a Wood
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Beautiful Lies
    $13.00 $3.99
  • The Perfect Mother
    $13.00 $3.99
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
“Jeffrey never understood how people could think a dead person was just sleeping. Death changed the air, charged it with something thick and unsettling.” 0 likes