Start by marking “Masquerade: Dancing Around Death In Nazi Occupied Hungary” as Want to Read:
Masquerade: Dancing Around Death In Nazi Occupied Hungary

Masquerade: Dancing Around Death In Nazi Occupied Hungary

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  108 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A powerful, moving, and very personal memoir of survival under the Nazi regime, by the father of billionaire financier George Soros.
Published September 12th 2003 by Arcade Publishing (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Masquerade, please sign up.
Igor Typical Internet slander. There's no evidence that anything like that happened, George Soros emigrated in 1947 and worked low key jobs at first…moreTypical Internet slander. There's no evidence that anything like that happened, George Soros emigrated in 1947 and worked low key jobs at first (including as a travelling salesman) slowly advancing as a clerk and then trader. There was no rapid change to his career when his father emigrated from Hungary in 1956.(less)

Robert
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: esperanto
Ĉi tiu estas bonega kaj interesega libro pri malfacila kaj malfeliĉa tempo.
Barun Ghimire
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Life is beautiful and full of variety and adventure. But luck must be on your side." These are the opening lines of the book Maskerado: Dancing Around Death in Nazi Hungary a memoir of Tivadar Soros (father of George Soros).

I might have never known about the book if I hadn't been to Budapest recently. The book was recommended to me by my training mentor when I expressed my interest in reading something set in Budapest. He told me about this book, and I grabbed a copy of it in a local book stor
Вестимир
Great adventure, that got me researching more into the fate of the jews in Central Europe during the dark years of Hitler's power.

Tivadar Soros is really charming narrator. The sub-title is a bit misleading, he did not outsmart Gestapo – rather he was able to survive and save a lot of family and friends, just by keeping his head down during this difficult period and taking pragmatic decisions.

Every book we enjoy re-affirms some of our own ideas and biases. For me personally, this is to be reso
Edith
Lately having some curiosity about George Soros and what accounts for the power and influence that he has today, I came across this book written by his father Tivadar Soros, a Hungarian Jew who survived the Holocaust in his native Hungary.

The original was written in 1965 in Esperanto, a world language that Tivadar endorsed and promoted.

The Germans occupied Hungary from March 1944 to January 1945...nearly ten months. During this time more than half the Jews living in Hungary were murdered. It w
Kezia
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
English version
Maskerado: Dancing around Death in Nazi Hungary

A personal account on how the Soros family survived the Second World War in Budapest, Hungary, by living under fake Christian identities. Written originally in Esperanto by the father of the well known philanthropist, George Soros. Despite published way back in the 60's, it mentions historical events which only recently received more coverage in the general public, like the mass murder in Kamyanets-Podilsky. The description of life in
Julie
Nov 30, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: esperanto, judaism
See also Modernaj Robinzonoj. In that book, Tivadar Soros (father of philanthropist George Soros, and cofounder of an influential Esperanto literature magazine) tells the story of escaping from Russia after WWI. In this book, he tells the story of escaping from Nazi-controlled Hungary during WWII!

Whit it was originally written in 1965, the Soros family commission Humphrey Tonkin (another famous Esperanto-speaker) to produce an English translation, which appeared in 2000. As an academic, he rese
Laurel Ferguson
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surviving humanity

Wars are hard to understand when people can change and be so hostile. Nobody really wins much but there seems to be a winning side and a losing side. I'd have probably committed suicide but it serves as a study to find some alternative instead of giving up and just being a chicken. Who wants to know how you can go on being human when there seems to be such a lack of it?
Fishface
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ww2, memoir
A great read. A remarkably upbeat and hopeful book about evading the Nazis in Budapest in the last couple of years of the second world war. The author is living proof of the adage that weighty matters should be handled lightly, and light matters should be handled seriously. Gives the reader a glimpse into just how many different ways there are to skin a cat.
Sharon Griffin
I feel bad to give this book such a low rating when it is the story of a very honorable man who spent his life as a positive influence to others during such tragic times and saving the lives of many. But this story is poorly written, perhaps because of its translation.
Leslie
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The only non-fiction book I have ever read in one sitting.
Joyce
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very interesting
Andrew Sztehlo
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great fact based honest and humble account from the Soros patriach, and probably one of the first hungarian holocaust accounts to be written (1963, I believe).
Edwina Callan
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, library-book
Simply fascinating account of how this man and his family survived WW2.
Alex Kudera

• The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Unshakeable Trust: Find the Joy of Trusting God at All Times, in All Things
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of How the Wildest Man in Congress and a Rogue CIA Agent Changed the History
  • Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to Be Noticed
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Things I've Been Silent About
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
“Every aspect of life should be judged soberly and objectively. To hate someone just because of this or that religious belief, or because the color of his skin is different from yours – this is contrary to sober human logic. It’s the person who matters, not his race, religion or color.” 1 likes
“Life is beautiful and full of variety and adventure. But luck must be on your side.” 0 likes