Start by marking “Gladys Reunited” as Want to Read:
Gladys Reunited

Gladys Reunited

In 1971, Sandi Toksvig was sent to Mamaroneck High in New York, where at age 13, she fell in love with the theater. The school production that year was Thornton Wilder’s The Skin of Our Teeth, and she was among the three girls chosen to play the lead role of Gladys Antrobus. Before long, the three “Gladyses” were inseparable friends, and by the time the play debuted, “The Gladys ...more
Published June 5th 2003 by Sphere (first published September 5th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Gladys Reunited, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gladys Reunited

Steve
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Sandi is Danish born, brought up in American then sent to an English boarding school to eventually appear on British TV with much wit and humour. She recalls stories with antidotes that belie her sharp mind. Eventually ending up in a Cambridge college she then entered the world of TV writing and appearing. But it was her childhood upbringing that she longed to go back to and meet up with the friends she had made there during her formative years, her Gladys’s she called them.

Well in f
Amanda
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
First of all let me say that I love Sandi Toksvig, especially after seeing her at the Hay Festival last year. Her stories about being at school in America are what inspired me to start finding out more about her. My husband found this book at a car boot sale, I was so pleased. I love her style and wit. She's so open to experiences and interested in the people and world around her. In this book Sandi talks about travelling to America to reunite with some of her old school friends and describes th ...more
Ann
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Ik vind Sandi Toksvig een rasvertelster van anecdotes dus dit boek is zeker geen opgave om te lezen. Wat tegenvalt zijn de mensen die ze ontmoet. Die dragen niets bij tot het verhaal, de ontmoetingen zijn kort en oppervlakkig en ik kan me ook niet voorstellen dat de dames in kwestie blij zijn met de manier waarop ze hen beschrijft. Dit was dus eigenlijk een beter boek geweest als ze gewoon had rond gereisd zonder die ontmoetingen.
Bambola
Three and a half stars really. An interesting jaunt into the author's past as she catches up with friends from her year at high school in America. Some quite hilarious parts, notably her visit to Margaret Mitchell's house, and some fascinating tidbits of history intertwined with personal stories and some introspection. She has a lovely turn of phrase a la Bill Bryson in places.
Wendy Greenberg
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Sandi Toksvig writes as she talks which makes this is a book to savour and to giggle along. Travelling across the US she re-connects with women who were an important part of her thespian beginnings. Facinating raconteur-led travelogue and memoir
Matt
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Despite the fact that this book took me a relatively long time to read (over 5 months for all of its 300 pages) I actually really enjoyed it, as I have every Sandi Toksvig book I've read. Certainly worth reading.
Fiona
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miscellaneous
I got bored with this very quickly as I didn't really care what the author's ex school friends had made of their lives. Fortunately this isn't typical of ST's writing which I generally enjoy.
Fiona
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Read this because I like Sandi Toksvig but it's more of a personal indulgence than a shared experience so I didn't enjoy it particularly.
Theo Clarke
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On LibraryThing I wrote: 'Warm memoir of a series of visits to America to visit old school-friends. The visits are woven through with meditations on identity and a wistful funniness.'
Louise Bell
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny at times which can be embarrasing if like me you read on your journey to work. Frank and honest account, beautifully told with flair and the love of travel and seeing new things.
Doug
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I knew Sandi Toksvig from QI and got curious about her as a writer. I was not disappointed. She is really a fantastic, funny, humble, author. Some parts were a little slow for me, but not very many. I thought she was at her best when she was discussing herself and her friends and what she observed about the US. The parts I didn't like as much were when she was tackling American History. She lost a bit of her unique voice there.

I'm going to read more of her stuff.

Diane
Apr 10, 2012
Stuart
Jan 27, 2015
Peanut Head .
rated it did not like it
Apr 26, 2014
May 18, 2011
Nicky
Dec 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Danish/British writer, presenter, comedian, actress and producer on British radio and television. She currently presents The News Quiz on BBC Radio 4 and 1001 Things You Should Know on Channel 4. In October 2012 she succeeded Sheila Hancock as Chancellor of the University of Portsmouth.