Start by marking “Taking Root in Provence” as Want to Read:
Taking Root in Provence

Taking Root in Provence

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  19 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
They agreed on one thing before retiring-they would travel, sniff around at other countries and other lifestyles, and discover along the way which place came closest to "having it all." There they would drop anchor and go with the flow. The going has been good, so much so that these former Washingtonians have decided to make France their permanent home. They chose the city ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Distinction Press (first published February 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Taking Root in Provence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Root in Provence

Kristine
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book at the "Book In Bar", an English Bookstore in Aix-en-Provence. The author and her husband had lived in different parts of the world but decided to retire in Aix. The book is filled with short chapters devoted to all the wonderful reasons to love living in Aix. Because I had recently visited there, I could related to many of her findings, but it would be a nice read for anyone interested in Provincial life.
Kitty Werner
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How one couple retired to Provence and learned to be natives. It's their take on life -- the quirks and habits and funny incidents that happened to them. Quite amusing. Very entertaining.
Gaele
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have family scattered throughout France, and Provence is one of those places that you really do want to see: from the light that informs the artwork of VanGogh, to the Santons, the food and the uniquely Provençal culture and attitude, there are no easy descriptions or complete approach. Provence is as much a feeling as a region, and Anne-Marie Simons manages to incorporate that unique feel while presenting information in a clear and concise, and often poetic way.

While people may be familiar w
Lucy
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What would it be like for you and your loved one to pick up and relocate to another country? How about Provence?!

Anne-Marie Simons and husband, Oscar, did just that a few years ago when they moved from their home in the US, and have never looked back since. Do you blame them? Aix-en-Provence, according to Anne-Marie's book, Taking Root in Provence, is one festive day after another. There are saints' days, Corridas, season and harvest days- it's one holiday after another. Even on regular days it
Shannon
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
A green eyed monster will appear when you begin to read Taking Root in Provence. He is of course, jealousy and he grows larger and larger with every page.

Taking Root in Provence shares the journey of a couple who, blessed with early retirement, decide to settle in Europe and ultimately make their home in Aix-en-Provence. Unfortunately, the couple themselves remains rather remote and the reader learns little about them themselves and more about their experiences.

The tone of the book is factual a
Jacqueline
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, france
I have to admit to becoming totally absorbed in this gentle read that draws you into discovering a new life in Provence. I have new places I now want to visit and certainly fêtes and festivals I want to experience. Who knew there were so many fêtes to be celebrated in one smallish area of France? It was great to have an insider guide to so many cultural events and shows just how well Anne-Marie and her husband have integrated into the area. I did feel that my little corner of Poitou-Charentes is ...more
Kimberly
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-bookshelf
I love a good, heartwarming memoir so that's exactly why I signed up for this tour, well that and the fact that I thought the cover was really cute. Simple, but I love it to pieces and it really does fit in with the book itself.

I'm obsessed with moving abroad myself and while France isn't where I want to move to I do want to visit it, and Anne-Marie's memoir just solidifies my resolve to visit there one day. After reading Taking Root, I'm feeling a little melancholy that I wasn't there to see al
Kimberly Boone
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for an armchair getaway filled with charm, subdued sophistication and grace, pick up a copy of “Taking Root in Provence” by Anne-Marie Simons. A writer and traveler, Anne-Marie has that certain way of casually transporting you to a different place through the eyes of a local.

As a former American, the Simons’ decided on retiring in the South of France. The main draw? Quality of life. The beaches, mountains, fresh air, ancient cities, remote villages and culture drew them in. Ge
Emma
Summer is finally here! Maybe it’s time to go discover the world. How about a sunny place where life slows down a bit, with nice wine, food, and tons of cultural places to visit? Does this place even exists? Of course, it’s Provence, in the South of France.

If you read this book, you might actually want to pack right now and go!

Having visited Provence last year, it was really great fun for me to revisit in company of Taking Root In Provence.
After a busy life in Washington, Anne-Marie and Oscar de
Marcy Jordan
rated it did not like it
Aug 31, 2011