Start by marking “Sudden Death” as Want to Read:
Sudden Death

Sudden Death (Andy Carpenter #4)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  2,660 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews
- David Rosenfelt's previous novel. "Bury the Lead, was published in Mysterious Press hardcover in 6/04, and was a "Today show Book Club Pick chosen by Janet Evanovich.- "First Degree (Mysterious Press, 5/03) won raves from national publications, including "Entertainment Weekly, and starred reviews from both "Kirkus Reviews and "Publishers Weekly.- The author's debut novel ...more
Published July 29th 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published May 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sudden Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sudden Death

Victoria
The ending to this one sure was a surprise! I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, with football playing a large role in it. But the characters were as fun as always and the plot was more of a shock than usual. While I am looking forward to the next two books, the formula of the frame-up defense is wearing a little bit thin... I guess these books aren't really meant to be read back-to-back like this. But, I do like these characters quite a bit, I just hope that the plots start continue ...more
Robin
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are fabulous in audio as Grover Gardner is the perfect voice for Andy Carpenter, and the twist at the end was well spun. Recommend these be read or listened to in order as the character's personal life is well developed over the series.
Lynn
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lib-bk
Full review @ Smoke & Mirrors: http://books-n-music.blogspot.com/201.... This is my favorite of the four Andy Carpenter installments I've read. Rosenfelt got a bit more personal with Andy and we see him endure some pain/disappointment in his personal life. I'm relatively certain I laughed more with this book, too, even though there were more deaths than in previous books and more heartache. Another great relaxing read for me!
Ellen
"Sudden Death" by David Rosenfelt.

This Andy Carpenter mystery had it all. My favorite so far in this series.
The running back for the New York giants, Kenny Schilling, needs Andy's services for his defense and he needs him NOW. Andy has to defend Kenny who is being accused of a high profile murder.

At the same time Laurie, Andy's long time significant other, has dropped a bomb shell in Andy's lap. She is planning on a future...a future that is without Andy. Can Andy find the words to bring Lauri
Cindy
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Series is a re-readable standard of mine. Exciting plot with guy-next- door main character who's brighter than some and more honest than the average lawyer. Clean, interesting, well narrated and highly recommended.
Jim
Another fun, twisty mystery. I'm glad we didn't get into Kevin's hypochondria any more. That never fit very well.
Erin L
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-legal, legal
I'm starting to really like Andy and the characters that come along with him. It's often hard to review series because spoilers. And the books tend to be very similar. So I'm just going to say I'm enjoying this series. :)
Kay
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series. Andy Carpenter is one of the most enjoyable protagonists I have come across. He is humble, witty, rich and also perfectly average.

This is the opening to Sudden Death – “I step off the plane, and for the first time in my life, I’m in Los Angeles. I’m not sure why I’ve never been here before. I certainly haven’t any preconceived notions about the place, other than the fact that the people here are insincere, draft-dodging, drug-taking, money-grubbing, breast-implanting,
Phylisha Stone
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptionally well written book with humor, pathos, some crazy hit men, broken hearts and blood and guts. If you like a good love story this is your book. If you like football this is your book. If you like characters that are not just one dimensional, this is your book. This my first read by this author, but it won't be my last.
Alice
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I like this series--I get what I expect and I'm not bored with it yet. I did figure this one out ahead of time though which is rare for me--and not a good sign, so we'll see whenever I get around to reading #5 in this series.
Linda
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying this series of books but this one had a great unexpected ending which I always like. I'm always trying to solve and when I don't get it right away I love it.
Lindsay
This was an excellent book! Good plot with a twist and the character's sense of humour was right on what this author has led us to expect.

I have already picked up the next one in the series!
Jan
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
It is not often that I become enamored of a mystery series. This is one of the few exceptions. I love Andy Carpenter, purely and simply. He’s an amazing attorney but is full of self-doubt. He loves Laurie, a police officer who quit the force and became a private detective over a matter of ethics. He also loves Kara, his wonderful Golden Retriever. He has a lot of other quirky people that are a huge part of his life. It is an engaging cast of characters. Did I mention his humor? He is absurdly fu ...more
Francisco
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: courtroom
There are two stories to follow the accused which is the bulk of the story and a secondary story of the relationship between the defense attorney Andy Carpenter and his private investigator Lori. By book 3, you know that the accused is innocent and close to the end of the book Andy will find something to get them off. With a twist...
Although Lori and Andy relationship seem to be going well, Lori decides (without Andy's input) to move back to her home town. This happens with little discussion sin
Mayda
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio, suspense, dogs
Caught with a dead body in his closet, and being the last person seen with the deceased the night before, Kenny Schilling seems to the police to be the prime and only suspect in the killing. But Kenny hires Andy Carpenter for his lawyer, and the more Andy digs into the case, the more Kenny appears to be innocent. It's up to Andy to track down the real killer in order to save Kenny from what seems to all concerned to be an open-and-shut case. But even Andy is fooled for a while. A quick read that ...more
Jean
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Andy Carpenter and his very loved companion, a golden named Tara. By the way, Tara needs a much bigger role in these books. Although the stories are pretty improbable, they are just fun to read. Carpenter is surrounded by very talented and grumpy friends who are officially or unofficially part of his investigation team. Most are quite unbelievable but I can't get enough of them.
He is more of a normal guy (but really good attorney) with all the fears, doubts and guilt of most of us. I will
Jeannie
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andy Carpenter is funny and self-deprecating and just plain likable. I think his character is better developed in each new book, and I find this series to be thoroughly entertaining!
I do have to point out that there is a pretty major goof in this book. The murder victim is said to have been shot in the head at one point, but through the rest of the book they say he was shot in the chest. Not a big deal, because dead is dead, but I'm surprised it wasn't caught somewhere along the way.
Lynda
This Andy Carpenter book is about Kenny being accused of the murder of his friend and fellow football player, Tony. It seems Kenny's being framed, with the body stuffed into his closet and blood in his car, but the more Andy digs, the more mob and gang related violence he finds. Also, Laurie might leave and go back to a job in Ohio.
Like all the others - I love the characters!
Tom Gorski
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normal good combination mystery and humor effort from Rosenfelt but admittedly in this one the reveal of the actual murderer was a big surprise and does not come out until the last few pages. Clever writer and easy, enjoyable reading.
Elizabeth Freeman
Not a football fan so, to me, it wasn't as good as his others. But still a well written, light, humorous, yet somewhat suspenseful read. Just read 4 in a row of his. Think it's time for a break from David R.
Nancy
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable Andy Carpenter book by David Rosenfelt. These books are a guarantee light and interesting read with enough plot twists and witty banter to keep a reader entertained. The pace is quick and the books are satisfying.
Brian O'Leary
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Main character, Andy Carpenter, is a funny wisecracking lawyer/amateur sleuth.
Lynn
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading the Andy Carpenter books. There are lots of twists, interesting characters. You never know who done it until the very end.
Judith
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lawyer with a quick snarky wit who solves crimes..
Sambasivan
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andy Carpenter is a loveable protagonist with great intelligence and a sense of humour to boot. Typical style of David Rosenfelt. I hope he gets the popularity he so deserves.
Beth
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read only one other book in the Andy Carpenter series and just love reading them. They are laugh out loud books with a mystery behind. So fun to read!
Glennie
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
Loving this series. A really good twist here.
Jerry King
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2005
Creative_Mii
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As ever, great fun and totally likable characters.
Rebecca Hollingsworth
The ending will leave you shocked!
  • Hell Hole (John Ceepak Mystery, #4)
  • Thereby Hangs a Tail (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #2)
  • All Shots (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #18)
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • A Farewell to Legs (Aaron Tucker Mystery #2)
  • Silent Night (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #5)
  • Blind Justice (Ben Kencaid, #2)
  • Trail Of Blood (Theresa MacLean #3)
  • Robin and Ruby
  • Day By Day (Steeple Hill Home Ties, #2)
  • G'Day to Die (Passport to Peril, #5)
I am a novelist with 27 dogs.

I have gotten to this dubious position with absolutely no planning, and at no stage in my life could I have predicted it. But here I am.

My childhood was relentlessly normal. The middle of three brothers, loving parents, a middle-class home in Paterson, New Jersey. We played sports, studied sporadically. laughed around the dinner table, and generally had a good time. By
More about David Rosenfelt...

Andy Carpenter (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter #1)
  • First Degree (Andy Carpenter #2)
  • Bury the Lead (Andy Carpenter #3)
  • Dead Center (Andy Carpenter #5)
  • Play Dead (Andy Carpenter #6)
  • New Tricks (Andy Carpenter #7)
  • Dog Tags (Andy Carpenter #8)
  • One Dog Night (Andy Carpenter #9)
  • Leader of the Pack (Andy Carpenter #10)
  • Unleashed (Andy Carpenter #11)
“Maybe there’s a more ominous phrase in the English language than “We need to talk.” Perhaps “Michael Corleone says hello.” Or maybe “I’m afraid the test results are back.” But right now what Laurie just said is enough to send spasms of panic through my gut.” 1 likes