Start by marking “Gorel and the Pot-Bellied God” as Want to Read:
Gorel and the Pot-Bellied God

Gorel and the Pot-Bellied God

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Published November 29th 2011 by PS Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Gorel and the Pot-Bellied God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gorel and the Pot-Bellied God

Paul
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just didn't work for me.
I enjoy reading novellas and they can be a great way of trying out a new author, but this one actually felt like a long read becoming a trudge to get through.
The concept is interesting and I'm always a fan of fantasy takes on fairy tales and mythology with both bases covered here.
Sadly the main character , despite being a thief and an assassin just wasn't interesting , laboured sex scenes too embedded in symbology just added nothing of interest to the plot which was neve
Ana Rînceanu
Lavie Tidhar created an alternate universe, sequel to the Grimm Brothers' fairy tale "The Frog Prince". I like the dark, atmospheric writing and the pacing helped keep me interested in Gorel's quest for the mirror that will take him back home.

Gorel of Goliris is a guy's guy, anti-hero, gunslinger, addict, touched by the Black Kiss and everyone, I mean, everyone wants to join his quest/sleep with him. It's been done before but this story does is well even though it doesn't stand out in terms of i
Geoff
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's called a guns and sorcery book, and that's what we get. Gorel is an anti-hero. He's a gunslinger and kills for his own benefit. He's hooked on a drug called the God's Kiss, but nevertheless we side with him as he does have redeeming qualities.

Gorel was outcast from his lands a long time ago and he is trying to steal a mirror that will give him a way to find his home, and the story takes him to a city, where a frog-like race lives. The story is an adventure style tale, where Gorel's goal is
Cristina
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
As minhas primeiras leituras fantásticas terão sido as mitologias – histórias de deuses poderosos que, num único gesto, criavam mundos, moldavam humanos e erguiam fortalezas. Seres em tudo semelhantes aos humanos, com caprichos, desejos e vinganças, cujas vidas oscilavam entre tragédias gregas e novelas, mas onde as histórias eram contadas do ponto de vista minúsculo do humano, esmagado pela magnificência dos deuses.

Gorel and the Pot-Bellied God fez-me recordar algumas dessas mitologias, começan
Larou
Feb 19, 2012 added it
Shelves: fantasy, 2012-01
Gorel & the Pot-Bellied God is subtitled as a “Sword & Guns novella” – I admit that I do not know whether that term was coined by Tidhar or whether he found it somewhere else but it is as compelling as fitting for this slim, but very impressive work. Lavie Tidhar is Sergio Leone to Fritz Leiber’s John Ford, and he is to Michael Moorcock what Tsui Hark is to King Hu. Which is to say, he’s read the classics, most likely devoured, even absorbed them, and now re-imagines them with a great am ...more
Ian
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of his “gunpowder fantasies”, which I take to mean generic heroic fantasies but with firearms. (Obviously the guns and bullets and gunpowder are all made by magic, as fantasy worlds rarely have an industrial base.) Gorel travels to Falang-Et, the home of a frog-like race, in order to steal their most sacred magical object (not that he knows exactly what it is). En route, he meets up with a bird-like man and a fish-like woman, and the three join together for the theft. Which doe ...more
Hugo
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. The comparisons with King's Dark Tower and Howard's Conan are inevitable, but to go even further back, there is a distinct flavour of Lieber's Lankhmar and Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique series in here, all mixed up in a proto-Asian setting, and with added sex, drugs and violence. There is mystery about the beginnings of this tale, and mysteries to follow, and I eagerly anticipate reading more. For such a slim volume, there is a great deal in here to enjoy.
Raj
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've encountered Gorel before in audio form (Buried Eyes, on the audio fiction podcast Podcastle) and I've been wanting to read more Lavie Tidhar, but despite its short length, I did keep getting somewhat confused and lost in this novella. I still have no real idea of what was going on, but this does feel like a component in a larger story. Perhaps with more knowledge of the character and setting, it would work better.
Nesa Sivagnanam
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There is only one truth Gorel of Goliris—gunslinger, addict, touched by the Black Kiss—is interested in: finding a way back home, to the great empire from which he had been stolen as a child and from which he had been flung, by sorcery, far across the World. It started out simple: get to Falang-Et, find the mirror, find what truth it may hold. But nothing is simple for Gorel of Goliris...

When Gorel forms an uneasy alliance—and ménage à trois—with an Avian spy and a half-Merlangai thief, things o
C McDaniel
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Please note that my relatively low rating of this novel is related more to personal tastes than the skill of the author or the quality of the writing. I picked this up after it was suggested by a friend during a conversation about Lord Dunsany and "world-building." While I like Dunsany and read him again from time to time as an avenue for accessing Lovecraft's influences, etc., I have an admittedly low tolerance for this type of fantasy (e.g. I avoid HPL's Dream Cycle stories like the plague; I ...more
Caleb Wilson
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved this one; I'm looking forward to the book of further Gorel stories coming out later this year. The setting reminds me more of old "sword and planet" SF than fantasy, which is not surprising, since I believe one of Tidhar's influences in writing this was C. L. Moore. The atmosphere is wonderfully sleazy, with enough sex and drugs to make even a frog-person brothel keeper blush.
Nick Sayce
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Awesome book. Dark, funny and full of characters which in no way shape or form adhere to the usual dull good looking hero of fantasy novels
Even though its only a Novella it has that much detail, story and fully developed characters it could be a book of epic proportion.
This is a book which stays true to the saying "quality not quantity"!! . Highly recommended.
Tom Loock
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Came as part of a "Surprise Me"-package of ten PostScript-titles on sale.

I've read (and very much enjoyed) Lavie Tidhar's Bookman-trilogy, but this one just doesn't do it for me. I can see why some readers will be excited though. Maybe it's because I find frogs disgusting?
Mike
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable. An immersive and detailed novella which manages to bring sympathy to the brutal protagonist
And a small coterie of ambiguously motivated other characters.

I'll read more of this author.
Marcus
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
A touch of Conan, a little bit of "Dark Tower" and some rock'n roll! Excellent short read in a weird world.
Chris
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm rating this months after the fact, so details will be sparse. There was lots of adventure, sex and weirdness. Would recommend.
Dave
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A wild fantasy mix that's like a combination of Conan, The Man with No Name and Jon Carter, in a fantasy setting with SE Asia links.
Ian
Lesley
Apr 08, 2012
Lachlan Robertson
Dec 13, 2013
Lavie Tidhar was raised on a kibbutz in Israel. He has travelled extensively since he was a teenager, living in South Africa, the UK, Laos, and the small island nation of Vanuatu.

Tidhar began publishing with a poetry collection in Hebrew in 1998, but soon moved to fiction, becoming a prolific author of short stories early in the 21st century.

Temporal Spiders, Spatial Webs won the 2003 Clarke-Bradb
More about Lavie Tidhar...