Start by marking “Tell Me Something about Buddhism: Questions and Answers for the Curious Beginner” as Want to Read:

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
For anyone curious about the teachings of Buddha and modern Buddhist practice, "Tell Me Something about Buddhism "offers the perfect introduction. Written by Soto Zen priest Zenju Earthlyn Manuel and organized in an easy-to-use Question and Answer format, this brief book answers the many common questions people have about Buddhism, everything from who was Buddha to why do ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Hampton Roads Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me Something about Buddhism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me Something about Buddhism

Fred Kohn
The explanations of Buddhist principles were concise and clear. As in most Buddhist books, the author makes frequent references to her own personal practice, and personally I could not relate. It seems that her meditation often leads to tears and/or weeping. I kept thinking that she would benefit more from psychotherapy than meditation.
Jina
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book cover to cover. One major practice in Buddhism is letting go of your self identity and realizing “we are one”. A practice Zenju Earthlyn Manuel admittedly had some troubles with. Growing up in the South, only a second generation born out of slavery, she had a strong identity tied to her body. However, through Buddhism she realized that holding onto this was holding onto suffering, effectively only filling her life with fear and hatred. After much meditation and ...more
Tasheena
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’m new to Buddhism and found this book to be a little confusing at times. It did have some good explanations but overall I was ready for the book to end. There are probably better books for the new Buddhist out there.
Emma Stofferahn
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightful little introduction to the practice of Buddhism. Manuel mixes her own personal story with the teachings of the Buddha, showing readers not only what Buddhism is, but how it affects the people who practice it. A short read, but great for someone just starting to learn about Buddhism.
Amelia
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Review By: Amelia

Interested in more book reviews? Check out my blog Bookworms Unite!(http://bookwormsunitebookreviews.blog...)

Buddhism has always made me curious. It’s not a religion, it’s a loose philosophical system that billions of people practice even today, and to me (I’m a staunch non-religious person) that’s just fascinating. But where does one start with Buddhism? Which books should I pick up? What resear
Linda
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism, nonfiction
A wonderful read for those just exploring Buddhism who want to know more. At first I thought it might be more of a true Q&A book which I would skip around looking up the answers for my questions, but it turns out that as I started reading it was much more fluid than I expected. Each question led to an answer, which led to another question and answer, etc. so that one flowed into another seamlessly. I felt more like I was reading a comprehensive work than a work broken up with questions and a ...more
Kate Uni
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-books, dnf
I liked the perspective that the books was written with. It's not a point of view I've ever considered. I think everyone faces their own issues and challenges when entering a new religion, and I'm in awe of author Zenju Earthlyn Manuel.

That being said, I think as a white female looking into the Buddhist faith I have a different set of challenges I need to face. And while I found the perspective of the author very interesting, it was not a perspective I was able to see in myself very well.

Hopef
Mark
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Good book describing one person's path and perspective regarding Buddhism. Found the book easy to read, interesting, and overall made what can be a very heavy subject into a very light but meaningful read.
Sally Bellerose
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As promised, questioned about Buddhism were answered in a straight-forward, easy for this western mind to understand way - very helpful - highly recommend to anyone interested in the subject. Gives generous insight from an African American who chose this path.
Heather Hay
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not Pema Chodron. Meh.
Charles Fried
Feb 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Earnest attempt on the part of the author but did not really explain enough of Buddhism for me. Too much reliance on terminology that does not mean anything to me.
Ali
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a nice understanding of Buddhism from the perspective of an Afrikan in America and a simple introduction to the value system itself.
Melissa Dally
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
A lovely introduction. The author seems like a person it would be a gift to know in real life.
Judith Engels
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Almost as difficult to understand as the practice itself. But it has lead me to other good books on the subject.
Christy
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thinking
This a wonderful little book that touches on Buddhist philosophy and practice.
Rdlfstnrgr