Start by marking “The Mysterious Benedict Society: Mr. Benedict's Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums” as Want to Read:

(The Mysterious Benedict Society)

This exclusive companion book to the bestselling Mysterious Benedict Society series is a mind-bending collection that will put YOU to the test! With full-color artwork throughout, this companion features ingenious new puzzles, riddles, and brainteasers compiled by Mr. Benedict himself, with the help of Reynie, Kate, Sticky, Constance, and other Society associates. Think yo ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Megan Tingley Books

Julie S.
Apr 14, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Yeah for more Mysterious Benedict Society!
Cliff
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
It's difficult to give this high marks because it simply isn't as much a book as it is a gathering of facts and passages from the trilogy. Aside from that is the inclusion of a series of puzzles to be worked out. The puzzles themselves are often fun and challenging. So much so, that I think I would have failed to solve a couple of them without referring to the hints provided. I do enjoy a good word puzzle, but I felt that in some cases the clues were a bit too cryptic. Nonetheless, it's fun for ...more
Mary
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book a little disappointing from the standpoint that I think kids that are already good at solving puzzles will enjoy it, and kids who aren’t won’t. I wish it had done more to explain how the puzzles are solved.

One problem with the book is that it does not give you the answers, it only gives hints. Don’t get me wrong — I think the hints are a great idea and I wish more puzzle books would do that, i.e., give you a hint so you could still get it yourself. But the problem is that if yo
Jeana Laurie
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
First rate!

I can't overstate how clever these puzzles were. Honestly I had a few wonderful moments when everything clicked together and I felt so accomplished for having solved a problem in an unexpected way. But even for the more frequent times when I was stumped and flipped to the back for the hints (yes hints, you won't find the actual answers anywhere in the book, which I think makes it better) it was great to have that "ah ha" moment where you slap the side of your head and wonder why you
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
This was everything I hoped for! The puzzles and hidden messages and codes were so much fun to figure out! Some of them were easy, some more difficult, but there are always the hints in the back of the book if you get stuck. Every puzzle is so different, and some of them really make you think! The design and layout are beautiful, and I loved the quotes from the novels as well as a closer look at each character.
A delightful companion book to the series!
Lindsay
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
More Kid Lit. Loved the book
Marissa Morrison
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Big fun for a 5-year-old-and-adult team!
Jessica
This was pretty hit-or-miss. I think it would be best enjoyed immediately after finishing The Mysterious Benedict Society Collection when you're looking for a little more time with the series' characters and would enjoy the character profiles and quoted passages from the books. There was a broad range in difficulty level, from incredibly easy to incredibly challenging. Some had straightforward directions, but for quite a few of them I had no idea what I was even being asked to do, and had to loo ...more
Charly Troff (ReaderTurnedWriter)
This was such a fun thematic puzzle book and I haven't even read the series yet (I got a little confused when I was trying to buy the actual novel and just went with it)!

The puzzles were really fun and some of them were actually really tricky. Some were really easy as well. There were some that I wasn't sure I got the "right" answer (it felt like there was more than one that fit or the one I came up with didn't feel right), but there was no answer key to compare against, so that was frustrating
Alison
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Mr. Benedict's Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums I really enjoyed this companion puzzle book. The puzzles range from pretty easy to quite difficult. My favorite part is that the answer key isn't straightforward. It gives you clues that lead you to the correct answer if you're stuck.

You can enjoy this book without reading The Mysterious Benedict Society first, but I think fans of the series will get more out of it than someone just looking for a book of puzzles
Crista
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
*Read the series first*

Cute little puzzle book with some basic and some quite challenging brain teasers. And I really liked that you had to solve each puzzle to solve an overarching puzzle. Great design. However, this is definitely for fans of the series, as it pays to know about the characters and the story line to help suss out the clues. Overall, a good afternoon activity for an inquisitive problem-solving reader.
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I got this to keep my kids amused on a road trip. Didn't really work for that, since a lot of the puzzles are visual and I had to keep my eyes on the road while driving. My kids, sadly, weren't into it nearly as much as I was. So, this is a book I have fun with on rainy days with my cup of tea and the kids off at school. I think I'll try again with the kids later, when the mood is better and there aren't as many distractions vying for their attention. Challenging and fun.
Mae Milne
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
loved it as a child, love it still as a teen, expect to love it more as an adult
Elizabeth Ricks
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Some of the puzzles were fun. Others ... not so much.
Hilary
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Will be good games and puzzles to do it's my kids once they have finished the books.
Amanda
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really fun to do.
Hawkes
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will never tire of the puzzles in this book!
Efm1
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's kind of like a book of puzzles but realy fun at the same time.
Kathy
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read with the boys. Elements of mystery, riddle solving & cleverness. Mr. Benedict commissions 4 orphans, who each have an unusual intellect, to help solve an impending world crisis.

I liked that it wasn't too scary for Henry. But yet mysterious enough to grab the attention of George & Silas.
Breslynn
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great book to get your brain going :-)
Cassandra
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's very surprising to me the reasons why reviewers are rating this book down. I'm fine if you don't like the book, but it seems like so few of these reviewers are thinking like I did when I got this book.

Some say they "would have preferred a real book", and that they weren't expecting a puzzle book. To that I say pshaw, don't tell the author what to do and actually read the title and/or description of a book that you're buying if you're planning to complain about what the book actually is.

Ot
Gabriello
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book is great. Unfortunately, I was just expecting something else entirely. You know in the beginning of the first book, when you and Reynie solved the puzzles "together"? Well, I was expecting something like that, like a puzzle in the story. Instead, I got a book of (fun) individual puzzles without a story, in the theme of The Mysterious Benedict Society.

For examples of puzzles, there are, to name a few: decoding morse code; navigating the maze; or helping Mage (Kate's falcon) find Kate. Th
Alison
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I greatly enjoyed the Mysterious Benedict Society series that this book goes along with, so I was excited to try my hand at some of the puzzles that so intrigued me in the series. Oh, man, though. Some of these puzzles are super simple or at least ones I've seen before, and some are just fantastically difficult, unless you notice a certain pattern that eluded me. The answers in the back are similarly divergent -- some just give you the answer outright, some give you a good hint that helps a lot, ...more
Merle
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun book for tweens and not bad for a light read for adults also. The beginning of a series along the lines of Harry Potter. It was entertaining, telling the story of a group of young orphans who work together to solve the mystery of what is happening on an island off the coast. There seems to be an evil power who is working to control people's minds as a way to control the world. These young people learn some important lessons on working together, and supporting others. They also learn about ...more
Beatrice
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Have you read some of the Mysterious Benedict Society books? Have you ever wanted to have your mind tested? Then this book is for you! Filled to the brim with awesome and challenging puzzles,this book is really good! Plus it has different levels of puzzles for the whole family and a sneak peek of a Mysterious Benedict Society book. Although it already came out. But anyway you will be amazed at how many good puzzles can fit into one little book. So it is really awesome and I really think you shou ...more
Mehsi
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have wanted to have this book for quite a bit of time and I found it yesterday on a trip to Amsterdam. :)

What a fun and brilliant book this is. It features puzzles, riddles, conundrums but also a lot of information. About the characters, be them good or be them bad, and also articles, archives and various fun facts about the series.

I really enjoyed this book, and am happy that I got it. Now I am just hoping for a new book to come out someday with new mysteries and conundrums!
Marlee
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is so much fun! It has so many neat puzzles and quizzes. Some are simple enough for even very young children. Some are more challenging. All of them are fun. The book has hints in the back if you need them. And many of the answers are hidden within the book itself. I did this book with my children (ages 10 and 6), and they both really enjoyed it. Especially great if you've read The Mysterious Benedict Society series.
Kimberly Fields
This book wasn't really a story-- it was just a collection of puzzles and riddles, along with a few bits of additional information about the characters in The Mysterious Benedict Society books. I enjoyed the puzzles and word games throughout the book, but I would have enjoyed another narrative volume of the series better.
Izzy
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book was fabulous it didn't take long to read although it was big because it intrigued me in the first few chapters. It was like you were transported to the world on the Benedict society. I read the first book and then floated right on through to the next books. I would recommend these books for anyone 1 to 100. READ IT NOW!!
Charles Markman
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
« previous 1 3 4 next »
E.P.I.C. Quiz Group 1 9 Oct 09, 2012 03:35PM

• The Adventures of Sir Givret the Short (Knights' Tales, #2)
  • The Shakespeare Stealer Series (The Shakespeare Stealer #1-3)
  • The Day It Snowed Tortillas / El día que nevó tortilla
  • The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization
  • The Puzzling World of Winston Breen (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #1)
  • You Have to Stop This (Secret, #5)
  • Inubaka: Crazy For Dogs, Volume 1
  • Other Worlds
  • Orangutan Tongs: Poems to Tangle Your Tongue
  • George Washington's Spy
  • Gilda Joyce: The Dead Drop (Gilda Joyce, #4)
  • The Academy (Steel Trapp, #2)
  • Dating Hamlet: Ophelia's Story
  • Science Fair
  • Kids Are Americans Too
  • Piece of Mind (Emily the Strange Novels, #4)
  • Horten's Incredible Illusions: Magic, Mystery & Another Very Strange Adventure (Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms #2)
  • Lost Train of Thought (The Seems, #3)
Trenton Lee Stewart is the author of the award-winning, bestselling Mysterious Benedict Society series for young readers; The Secret Keepers, also for young readers; and the adult novel Flood Summer. He lives in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Letters to the author may be sent to:

Trenton Lee Stewart
PO Box 251358
Little Rock, AR 72205

The Mysterious Benedict Society (4 books)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages