Start by marking “The Mysterious Benedict Society: Mr. Benedict's Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums” as Want to Read:

(The Mysterious Benedict Society #Extra)

This exclusive companion book to the bestselling Mysterious Benedict Society series is a mind-bending collection that will put YOU to the test! With full-color artwork throughout, this companion features ingenious new puzzles, riddles, and brainteasers compiled by Mr. Benedict himself, with the help of Reynie, Kate, Sticky, Constance, and other Society associates. Think yo ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Megan Tingley Books

Start your review of The Mysterious Benedict Society: Mr. Benedict's Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums
Julie S.
Apr 14, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Yeah for more Mysterious Benedict Society!
Cliff
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
It's difficult to give this high marks because it simply isn't as much a book as it is a gathering of facts and passages from the trilogy. Aside from that is the inclusion of a series of puzzles to be worked out. The puzzles themselves are often fun and challenging. So much so, that I think I would have failed to solve a couple of them without referring to the hints provided. I do enjoy a good word puzzle, but I felt that in some cases the clues were a bit too cryptic. Nonetheless, it's fun for ...more
Mary
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book a little disappointing from the standpoint that I think kids that are already good at solving puzzles will enjoy it, and kids who aren’t won’t. I wish it had done more to explain how the puzzles are solved.

One problem with the book is that it does not give you the answers, it only gives hints. Don’t get me wrong — I think the hints are a great idea and I wish more puzzle books would do that, i.e., give you a hint so you could still get it yourself. But the problem is that if yo
Jeana Laurie
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
First rate!

I can't overstate how clever these puzzles were. Honestly I had a few wonderful moments when everything clicked together and I felt so accomplished for having solved a problem in an unexpected way. But even for the more frequent times when I was stumped and flipped to the back for the hints (yes hints, you won't find the actual answers anywhere in the book, which I think makes it better) it was great to have that "ah ha" moment where you slap the side of your head and wonder why you
Christy Lau
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A lovely throwback to the earlier days of the Mysterious Benedict Society. I couldn't help but feel quite proud when I managed to decode the final message.

Kailey (BooksforMKs)
This was everything I hoped for! The puzzles and hidden messages and codes were so much fun to figure out! Some of them were easy, some more difficult, but there are always the hints in the back of the book if you get stuck. Every puzzle is so different, and some of them really make you think! The design and layout are beautiful, and I loved the quotes from the novels as well as a closer look at each character.
A delightful companion book to the series!
Marissa Morrison
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Big fun for a 5-year-old-and-adult team!
Cassidy Titcomb
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Puzzles are tricky for an 8 year old
Lindsay
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
More Kid Lit. Loved the book
Scott
What a charming companion to the series!
Nadya
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
my first english book ever! very well written and witty👀
Jessica
This was pretty hit-or-miss. I think it would be best enjoyed immediately after finishing The Mysterious Benedict Society Collection when you're looking for a little more time with the series' characters and would enjoy the character profiles and quoted passages from the books. There was a broad range in difficulty level, from incredibly easy to incredibly challenging. Some had straightforward directions, but for quite a few of them I had no idea what I was even being asked to do, and had to loo ...more
Charly Troff (ReaderTurnedWriter)
This was such a fun thematic puzzle book and I haven't even read the series yet (I got a little confused when I was trying to buy the actual novel and just went with it)!

The puzzles were really fun and some of them were actually really tricky. Some were really easy as well. There were some that I wasn't sure I got the "right" answer (it felt like there was more than one that fit or the one I came up with didn't feel right), but there was no answer key to compare against, so that was frustrating
Alison
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Mr. Benedict's Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums I really enjoyed this companion puzzle book. The puzzles range from pretty easy to quite difficult. My favorite part is that the answer key isn't straightforward. It gives you clues that lead you to the correct answer if you're stuck.

You can enjoy this book without reading The Mysterious Benedict Society first, but I think fans of the series will get more out of it than someone just looking for a book of puzzles
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I got this to keep my kids amused on a road trip. Didn't really work for that, since a lot of the puzzles are visual and I had to keep my eyes on the road while driving. My kids, sadly, weren't into it nearly as much as I was. So, this is a book I have fun with on rainy days with my cup of tea and the kids off at school. I think I'll try again with the kids later, when the mood is better and there aren't as many distractions vying for their attention. Challenging and fun.
Crista
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
*Read the series first*

Cute little puzzle book with some basic and some quite challenging brain teasers. And I really liked that you had to solve each puzzle to solve an overarching puzzle. Great design. However, this is definitely for fans of the series, as it pays to know about the characters and the story line to help suss out the clues. Overall, a good afternoon activity for an inquisitive problem-solving reader.
Purple
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was so much fun to do, I personally loved the fact that he gave hints instead of answers.
Unfortunately, there were 2 that I didn't understand, I never figured them out.

I case anybody want to help me out they were: The four dark pages and the jack and jill riddle.
Hilary
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Will be good games and puzzles to do it's my kids once they have finished the books.
Mae Milne
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
loved it as a child, love it still as a teen, expect to love it more as an adult
Hawkes
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will never tire of the puzzles in this book!
Elizabeth Ricks
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Some of the puzzles were fun. Others ... not so much.
Amanda
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really fun to do.
Kait Jensen
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. I could sort of relate so some of the characters. I thought it was mysterious but funny at the same time. I want to read it again.
Samantha Haydock
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.8 i'll definitely continue to the other books i definitely enjoyed! (audio)
Caroline Sowell
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well sadly I didn’t realize that it was a book of puzzles until I got it 🙁 but it was pretty good.
Hope Maglinger
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super duper hard!!! I had to look at the hints for almost all of them!! It is hard to write a review for an activity book, but I still loved it!!
Cassandra(when a book falls open you fall in)
Great puzzle book! Really have to use your mind!
Efm1
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's kind of like a book of puzzles but realy fun at the same time.
Kathy
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read with the boys. Elements of mystery, riddle solving & cleverness. Mr. Benedict commissions 4 orphans, who each have an unusual intellect, to help solve an impending world crisis.

I liked that it wasn't too scary for Henry. But yet mysterious enough to grab the attention of George & Silas.
Cassandra
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's very surprising to me the reasons why reviewers are rating this book down. I'm fine if you don't like the book, but it seems like so few of these reviewers are thinking like I did when I got this book.

Some say they "would have preferred a real book", and that they weren't expecting a puzzle book. To that I say pshaw, don't tell the author what to do and actually read the title and/or description of a book that you're buying if you're planning to complain about what the book actually is.

Ot
« previous 1 3 4 next »
E.P.I.C. Quiz Group 2 10 Dec 23, 2019 06:09PM

• The Stolen Chapters (Story Thieves, #2)
  • Story Thieves (Story Thieves, #1)
  • The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #1)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • The Crossover
  • Floors
  • Mr. Lemoncello's All-Star Breakout Game (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #4)
  • Wildwood Imperium (Wildwood Chronicles, #3)
  • The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3)
  • Lion Down (FunJungle, #5)
  • The Name of This Book Is Secret (Secret, #1)
  • This Changes Everything: How the Gospel Transforms the Teen Years
  • Gone-Away Lake
  • The Underneath
  • Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe
  • Stealing Magic (Sixty-Eight Rooms, #2)
  • This Isn't What It Looks Like (Secret, #4)
  • The Seventh Wish
Trenton Lee Stewart is the author of the award-winning, bestselling Mysterious Benedict Society series for young readers; The Secret Keepers, also for young readers; and the adult novel Flood Summer. He lives in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Letters to the author may be sent to:

Trenton Lee Stewart
PO Box 251358
Little Rock, AR 72205

The Mysterious Benedict Society (4 books)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #4)

News & Interviews